by Trey Rentz, Fri Dec 17, 2010 at 12:14:33 PM EST
Under the leadership of Nancy Pelosi - this past congress was the hardest working and most industrious congress we've seen in recent and living memory. They should be nicknamed the beavers. Because they were as busy as a beaver, the entire time.
They even got alot done in the lame duck. Normally the lame duck session is held with the implicit intent to just wrap up loose ends - an outgoing congress doesn't attempt to do too much. This congress passed a repeal of an itinerant anti-homosexual policy (don't ask, don't tell), tax reform, extension of benefits to distressed workers, and by all accounts and measures is poised to pass a nuclear arms treaty.
That's alot accomplished in just a few weeks. You may disagree with some finer points of the legislation - but the overall score card of this congress has to go down for a grade as one of the hardest working congressional sessions in living memory. In a nutshell....
1. Averted financial disaster, and staved off a great depression
2. Repaired a completely collapsed financial infrastructure
3. Sent the stock markets skyward
4. Passed Healthcare reform, for the first time in 40 years.
5. Passed (House of Representatives) a repeal of Don't ask, Don't tell..
6. Passed a major tax bill
7. Passed a bill energizing the green economy - providing for bonuses to those who are going green.
Did I miss anything?
Tags: (all tags)