* Tim Walz fits perfectly with every single one of these criteria. Walz, a fightin' dem and an award-winning public school teacher is challenging 6-term Republican congressman Gil Gutknecht.
* Walz, as of the last filing deadline, had around $250,000 cash on hand. He has done the hardwork of raising money the traditional way: phone-calling and raising money from small donors at events throughout the district. Walz has outraised Gutknecht during the calendar year of 2006. That is right, Walz - a public school teacher - has outraised Gutknecht for 2006. Walz is behind in cash on hand, but the gap is narrowing. With the help of the netroots, Walz will have the resources to take down Gutknecht.
* MN-01 is a 50-50 district. Bush only won the distrct by 4% and 17 of the 22 counties in the district are represented by DFL Legislators. The district is rated an "R+1" by the Cook Political Report. Minnesota is also trending blue once again with Amy Klobuchar running in the double digits ahead in the US Senate Race and Mike Hatch running neck-and-neck with Governor Tim Pawlenty.
* The national establishment has decided to go for the open seat in MN-06, a very Republican district, instead of making Walz one of their targeted races. This is where the netroots come in. MN-01 is currently ranked as the #46 race in the country by the National Journal. This is a more competitive race then some of the other netroots candidates.
* A Blue Stem Prairie is a blog that is covering soley the race in MN-01. Walz has is also "the darling of the Minnesota netroots" recieving the full support of such respected bloggers like:
This is just a taste of the great Minnesota bloggers who have stepped up to the plate to back Tim.
* Walz is a progressive populist, fighthing for progressive causes such as universal health care, strong public schools, open and honest government, and a safe withdrawal of US troops from Iraq. Walz has embraced the help of grassroots and progressive support by meeting with Democratic activists across the district and having interviews a number of Minnesota bloggers.
Tim Walz is an awesome candidate and MN-01 is the perfect district for the Netroots to have a say in. We can not let this opportunity go by us. Together, we can bring independent and authentic leadership back to Southern Minnesota.
Busby did run a DC Insider campaign. This is true.
But for months you have been pushing Francie Busby like no other. And now, just because she lost, you turn around and blame in on the DC establishment and her just running on "issues." This sounds a helluva lot like Arm-chair politicking to me. A helluva lot like Monday (Wednesday morning) quarterbacking.
I have a world of respect for you Matt, but come on.