DGA Calls Nathan Deal "Georgia's Christine O'Donnell"
by Andre Walker, Thu Sep 16, 2010 at 07:16:59 AM EDT
Seeing a chink in the armor of Republican Nathan Deal after an Atlanta Journal-Constitution report that he's teetering near bankruptcy, the Democratic Governors Association (DGA) sought to exploit the weakness by raising questions on his ability to effectively manage Georgia's finances.
In a blog entry posted on its site Wednesday, the DGA called Deal's financial troubles "Christine O’Donnell-esque."
Nathan Deal, who has already been named one of the most corrupt members of Congress for lining his own pockets, now appears to be having Christine O’Donnell-esque problems with his house. According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Deal is in such dire financial trouble that he must sell his home to avert foreclosure.
Just who you want in charge of your state’s finances.
DeRose, Emily (2010-9-15). Georgia’s Christine O’Donnell. Democratic Governors Association. Retrieved on 2010-9-16.
Christine O'Donnell, who won the Delaware Republican Party's U.S. Senate nomination Tuesday, has faced questions about her personal finances after a media investigation found that she was "confronted by the IRS about unpaid income taxes and sold her Wilmington home to a campaign staffer to avoid a sheriff's sale ordered to settle mortgage claims." [Gibson, Ginger (2010-3-20). Delaware politics: O'Donnell faces campaign debt, back-tax issues. The News Journal (Delaware). Retrieved on 2010-9-16.]
A recent SurveyUSA poll centering on Georgia's 2010 gubernatorial election shows Republican Deal leading Democrat Roy Barnes by eleven points [Ofgang, Jeff (2010-9-13). Deal Leads Barnes in 13WMAZ Poll. WMAZ-TV (Macon, GA). Retrieved on 2010-9-13.].
However, some are questioning the accuracy of the numbers following a polling model that incorrectly places the male composition of likely voters at 54%. Statistics from the Georgia Secretary of State Elections Division show that, over the past twelve years, male voters have averaged about 45% of the Peach State's electorate. Women, on the other hand, have made up about 55% of the state's electorate.
The SurveyUSA poll shows Barnes and Deal tied among likely women voters with 46% a piece.