Seymour Hersh: US troops executing prisoners in Afghanistan

Pretty shocking "anecdotal" information.

But of course, don't mind the facts on the ground. Afghanistan is going just dandy and the bank bailouts just had to be done! Not.

Lets hope we see more of the anti-DC change message continue this coming primary. I'm heading to Brazil for some campaigning, so will be out the bulk of the week. Enjoy the weekend.

Tags: Afghanistan (all tags)

Comments

bank bailouts?

what is this diary about?

by DTOzone 2010-05-14 01:14AM | 1 recs
There must be good news coming Obama's way...

When you work for a living, and are told the bank bailouts are the only thing that kept us going from recession to depression, it rather smacks of limousine liberalism to hear paid political consultants, bloggers, and pundits tell you it would have been better to just go for that depression... in the same sentence of talking of getting to go to Brazil for campaigning.

I'm sorry. I spent 14 weeks on unemployment that was ended by the ARRA. The recession was bad enough for me. I wish the bailouts had been better supervised, but they weren't. It is water under the bridge at this point. I can only hope we demand changes in the system.

But what's Jerome to say when Bill Halter likely loses next week, where Arkansas democrats choose Plantation Blanche instead?

by NoFortunateSon 2010-05-14 07:50AM | 0 recs
bloggers bad; bank bailouts good

Right, it's smacks of "limousine liberalism" to hear that over billions, a trillion, probably more, should not have gone toward buffeting the class and status of the very wealthy. I think you have it mixed up, obviously because you confuse your own situation with the macro decisions made.

Like the Republican anti-abortion protesters, manipulated by the Roves and Bushs who had no real intent on making abortion illegal, but use it as a wedge to get their support time and time again. They vote against their own economic interests because of manipulation of their values.

The guy who loses his job, hears from a politician he personally vested in that the only way to get it back is to allow for he and his children is to be laden with debt, by giving money you don't have to those who lost in their gambles. The guy buys the spin, not realizing that the deal that went down was that, while the gambler lost big, he hedged with buying out the political process.

The guy thinks there must be no other way! Either/or, black/white. He supports policies against his own interest. Oh well, the guy finally admits, duped again, but there was no other way!

And you are rooting for Bailout Blanche, lol.

Maybe you should remind yourself who is riding in the limousine.

by Jerome Armstrong 2010-05-14 10:10AM | 0 recs
bloggers bad, bankers worse, economists...?

Are economists politicians? It is a legitimate question.

I cannot fathom the finances. Instead, I have to rely on the opinions of a wide array of professional (i.e., not blogosphere armchair) economists.

Some say the bailouts were unnecessary. Most say it staved off a depression. I do not condone the manner in which the bailouts were handled by either administration.

I would like to see a reliable source for trillions, as sources (NY Times and Wikipedia) place that value in high hundred billions, and detail what has been repaid.

I know full well what was going on, and I'm disgusted. I could opine for hours on the war against the middle class. But as far as I'm concerned, the only focus at this time should be on repairing regulations to prevent such gambling and increased taxes on the wealthy and on financial transactions to recover any losses due to the bailout. By the time the bailout was necessary, in my opinion, it was already too late for any other rational course of action.

Allowing a second great depression to spark the needed revolution is not a humane option.

But in the wake of all this, I still cannot fathom why your guy Bill Halter can't make any traction against the likes of Plantation Blanche. Where's that anti-DC sentiment?

I'm not sure where you got the impression that I was rooting for the likes of her? I fervently support Bill Halter and have donated to his campaign. It's a right decision by Arkansas democrats that I'm rooting for.

by NoFortunateSon 2010-05-14 10:13AM | 1 recs
RE: bloggers bad, bankers worse, economists...?

I agree with you here.

While of course the money could have been better tracked and targeted, come with more strings attached, etc, it seems that bailouts were necessary.

Now, it obviously should have never gotten to that point, and it should be fixed now (which is not happening), but at that time, the bailouts were necessary.

by jeopardy 2010-05-14 11:47AM | 0 recs
RE: bloggers bad, bankers worse, economists...?

coulda shoulda woulda. There was a vote, and those who voted for it will be held accountable, in both parties. It's as big as an albatross as the vote to invade Iraq.

by Jerome Armstrong 2010-05-14 06:49PM | 0 recs
RE: bloggers bad, bankers worse, economists...?

Yea, you don't condone it and say 'oh well water under the bridge' and to me that kind of attitude is exactly what is wrong with politics. Where the hell is your accountability?  I suspect if you were honest you'd just admit what we all know.

by Jerome Armstrong 2010-05-14 06:48PM | 0 recs
WTF are you babbling about?

You post a video about Afghanistan than suddenly you're talking about bank bailouts and now you're talking about abortion. You're not making any fucking sense.

Why do I smell a whiff of jealously that someone didn't make it big as a blogger?

by DTOzone 2010-05-14 11:32AM | 0 recs
ah

Aren't you kinda sliding into projection with this rant?

by Jerome Armstrong 2010-05-14 04:24PM | 0 recs
Have a safe trip.

Don't forget your tinfoil hat.

by QTG 2010-05-14 07:50AM | 1 recs
Hmmmm.

Sy needs to back this up with something more than anecdotal evidence. He is excusing people of murder ( and given our military's recent history it is easy to believe) But still something more than anecdotal is needed.

Sy while he can be very very good can also be very very bad when it comes to supporting evidence.

by jsfox 2010-05-14 11:55AM | 0 recs
Sy's made a living off a this

but claiming there are atrocities in a war zone is like claiming a Catholic has drunk wine.

by DTOzone 2010-05-14 01:58PM | 0 recs