House passes revised reconciliation bill

It wasn't nearly as suspenseful as Sunday's vote, but the House of Representatives passed the revised budget reconciliation bill tonight by a vote of 220-207 (roll call). The bill contains changes to the health insurance reform President Obama signed into law on Tuesday, as well as a student loan reform that replaces subsidized private loans with direct lending by the government. The Senate had approved the bill earlier today, but minor changes were made in the section regarding Pell grants, which is why the House had to vote on the new version.

Here's your laugh for the day: MSNBC's Chris Matthews still thinks he was right and Representative Alan Grayson was wrong about whether changes to the health care bill could be passed using the budget reconciliation process.

Tags: Congress, House, Senate, health care reform, health insurance reform, Reconciliation (all tags)

Comments

Anti-climax

Ever notice how for all the hoopla about Reconciliation (!!!!) it's passage was non-controversial. Even though it went back to the House and had to be voted on again, hardly a peep from the GOP noise machine.

The real battle was passing the Senate bill as is. That sort of makes me respect Nancy even more. She could have promised everybody the moon even if it violated the Byrd rule and deficit requirements to get the Senate Bill passed. But the Democrats played by the rules and only included relevant things. Compared to the  drama and chaos over the Medicare Part-D vote, it was a brilliant piece of legislative work. It just makes me feel better knowing the adults are in charge.

Btw, approval ratings up all-round. Even Rasmussen has a 10 to 7 pt positive swing for Obama.

by vecky 2010-03-26 01:14AM | 0 recs
I think the "pass the damn bill" people

need to give a lot of credit to the House Democrats who insisted on making changes to the Senate bill before agreeing to pass it. I still think the Senate bill is deeply flawed and won't work well, but the reconciliation measure marginally improved it.

The student loan reform is very important and under-reported by everyone (including me) because there's been so much focus on health insurance reform.

by desmoinesdem 2010-03-26 07:38AM | 0 recs
RE: I think the "pass the damn bill" people

As one of those people, I never had a problem with the process and always trusted the Democrats to do the best job they could given the circumstances. They did. My trust was justified. The House's improvements were part of the process.

by QTG 2010-03-26 10:25AM | 0 recs
RE: I think the "pass the damn bill" people

You trusted the Democrats, my ass.  You repeatedly declared HCR was dead and you whined about it for weeks on end.

by Steve M 2010-03-27 01:37AM | 0 recs
RE: I think the "pass the damn bill" people

Steve, I have already confessed openly that, for a time, I wavered in my belief that Obama and the Congress could overcome the assault from the Kill-Billers - it seemed that the the unholy alliance of FDL and RedState had won their Pyrrhic victory. But Obama's awesomeness combined with help from the first Congress in years to actually legislate legislation by legislative processes rusty from disuse - got the job done.

The pass the damn bill people won, too bad they didn't just win against Republicans but had to win against you-know-who. I suspect the same treatment on every item on Obama's agenda. Many calls for kill the bill lie ahead. Perhaps my faith will be stronger in the future.

by QTG 2010-03-27 04:37AM | 0 recs
Spam diaries

Could someone with the privileges please take down the spam diaries selling patio furniture, etc.

by Ravi Verma 2010-03-26 09:49AM | 0 recs
Someone needs to remind Matthews

Someone needs to remind Matthews of something I've heard him say on his show before: "If you are explaining, you're losing."

by gas28man 2010-03-26 05:23PM | 0 recs