GOP Considering Impeachment Against Democratic Attorney General Over New Health Care Law

Citing the need to waste time and tax dollars, Republican state lawmakers began looking into the possibility of impeaching Attorney General Thurbert Baker (D - Georgia) for his refusal to file suit against the newly enacted health care law.

Gov. Sonny Perdue (R - Georgia) and the state's GOP congressional delegation called on Attorney General Baker to join thirteen other state attorneys general across the nation in challenging the new health care law's constitutionality.

"I am today renewing my December request to the Attorney General that he join other states in reviewing the constitutionality of this travesty. My office has already begun to review any and all legal options to challenge this legislation," Perdue said in a news release Monday.

"The Democrats' health care bill is nothing less than an unmitigated attack on individual freedom, choices, and the quality of health care in this nation," said Congressman Tom Price (R - Georgia).  "Families in Georgia deserve to have their constitutional rights protected against a federal government that is imposing its will through new mandates."

Price chairs the Republican Study Committee, a group of over 115 congressional Republicans organized for the purpose of advancing a conservative social and economic agenda in the U.S. House of Representatives.

Attorney General Baker responded to Price and Perdue thusly:

Based upon my understanding of the current Act, I am unaware of any constitutional infirmities and do not think it would be prudent, legally or fiscally, to pursue such litigation. I must therefore respectfully decline your request.

While I understand that the new law is the subject of ongoing debate here in Georgia and around the nation, I do not believe that Georgia has a viable legal claim against the United States. Considering our state’s current severe budgetary crisis, with vital services like education and law enforcement being cut deeply, I cannot justify a decision to initiate expensive and time-consuming litigation that I believe has no legal merit.

In short, this litigation is likely to fail and will consume significant amounts of taxpayers’ hard-earned money in the process.

Galloway, Jim (2010-3-24). Thurbert Baker’s answer to Sonny Perdue: Health care lawsuit a waste of money. Political Insider. Retrieved on 2010-3-25.

According to Atlanta Journal-Constitution political insider Jim Galloway, Baker's response prompted a group of GOP state legislators to consider articles of impeachment against the Attorney General [Galloway, Jim (2010-3-24). An 'impeach Thurbert Baker' movement?. Political Insider. Retrieved on 2010-3-25.].

Georgia, much like most states in the union, is facing a sizable budget deficit [McCaffrey, Shannon (2010-1-8).  At Georgia Capitol, 2010 Looks BleakABC News.  Retrieved on 2010-3-25.].  Our unemployment rate has exceeded the national average for 29 straight months.  Our Republican-controlled legislature suffers from a significant lack of ethics [McCaffrey, Shannon (2009-12-3).  Georgia House Speaker Out After Attempted Suicide, Alleged AffairThe Huffington Post.  Retrieved on 2010-3-25.].  And our roads are becoming increasingly clogged.  Still the Republicans want to spend their time --excuse me, the people's time and the people's money-- on impeachment.

For the past few days, I've heard the GOP castigate Democrats for allegedly subverting the will of the people by passing the health care law.  Yet here the Republicans are, in Georgia, contemplating the removal of an elected official (Baker was first elected attorney general in 1998, and won re-election in 2002 & 2006 garnering 55.6% and 57.2% of the vote respectively) for not getting the people of Georgia involved in a frivolous and money-burning lawsuit.

Talk about a case of do as I say and not as I Perdue.

Tags: HIR, Georgia (all tags)

Comments

The people of Georgia have the right to commit financial suicide..but they have to wait till November 2 to do that! The people of Virginia waited a year after Obama to commit financial suicide by electing Ken Cuccinelli!

by Boilermaker 2010-03-25 08:05AM | 0 recs
ludicrous

If they go ahead with this, Democats should nationalize the controversy. I know the mandate is unpopular, but I am fairly sure independents would be put off by the idea of impeaching an attorney general for not filing this kind of lawsuit.

by desmoinesdem 2010-03-25 08:13AM | 0 recs
I forgot to mention. . .

. . .that while it only takes a majority to bring articles of impeachment in the Georgia House, a two-thirds vote in the state Senate is required for conviction and removal from office.

The Republicans don't have the votes in the Senate to pull this off, and Democrats are going to have a good ol' time painting the GOP as radicals for wasting the people's time on this kind of crap.

by Andre Walker 2010-03-25 08:29AM | 0 recs
Read the Bill

If these folks would bother to get familiar with the bill they would discover they have an opt out from the federal mandate.

The Wyden Provision.

Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) has a message for all the attorneys general and Republican lawmakers who are threatening lawsuits and claiming that an individual mandate for insurance coverage is unconstitutional: You don't have to abide by it -- just set up your own plan.

The Oregon Democrat isn't inviting opponents to defy the newly-enacted health care law. Instead, he's pointing out a provision in the bill that makes moot the argument over the legality of the individual mandate.

by jsfox 2010-03-25 08:43AM | 0 recs
RE: Read the Bill

There you go, forcing your Socialism down my Free Enterprise again.

by the mollusk 2010-03-25 10:50AM | 1 recs
I didnt know that

I didnt know that they had plucked a piece of Wyden's Bill and added it as a provision into the Health Care Bill. This basically means that as long as the individual states comply with the basics of the bill they can create there own plan without mandates. SO than whast the objection. Essentially any state that objects to the mandate requirment can resolve it by coming up with something on their own.

by BuckeyeBlogger 2010-03-25 10:36AM | 0 recs
Someday

we'll all look back on this and laugh.

by the mollusk 2010-03-25 10:50AM | 0 recs
RE: Someday

I hope you're right. You know, I used to be a Republican, but that was before they went nuts.

I men, I'm so old that I can remember when there were actually a few sane people leading the GOP.

by spirowasright 2010-03-25 12:53PM | 0 recs
RE: Someday

It's funny, I really began to follow politics in the late 1990s right in the midst of the Republican efforts to bring down a sitting US President over a bj.  That episode, as much as anything, made me a Democrat.  Since then it's just been a process of accepting more of the Democratic arguments and tolerating the parts of the Democratic agenda that I'm more tepid about.

by the mollusk 2010-03-25 01:24PM | 0 recs
RE: Someday

That was my exact trajectory too. Growing up as a teen didn't really care about politics or democrats, but watching the GOP viciously attack Clinton like that turned me off them completely.

by vecky 2010-03-26 02:01AM | 0 recs
RE: Someday

I used to read about them in the history textbooks, but I hear they've all been removed now...

by vecky 2010-03-26 02:00AM | 0 recs
All this trouble and hate....

...just so people can get some health care in this country.  Shameful...

by LordMike 2010-03-25 01:47PM | 0 recs
This time, the GOP is really dying

This is really it. This kind of stuff is just a complete waste of time.   Americans pay the salaries of these people and word from almost all areas of jurisprudence is that federal supremacy will not be overturned in the supreme court - for Perdue to threaten his own Attorney General because he doesn't want to participate in a dog and pony show - is to really see the power that the lobbyists have over the GOP -

But honestly - we need another party in the US Government that can stand up for conservatism and fiscal responsibility  - the GOP almost died back after Nixon and then they just switched gears and pretended to be a party about 'Values' - a bunch of guys in New York took alot of money from lobbies and then turned around and made up this whole thing about 'values' and 'morals' and now these same bozos are trying to 'save the country' from ... healthcare reform?

It might be a good idea to start looking at what would be a good foundation for a new political party - if you're a republican.

by Trey Rentz 2010-03-25 02:03PM | 0 recs
And here's the latest lobbyist news from the GOP

The Republican House Speaker in Georgia ... is fucking a lobbyist on the side?

These are the guys that want to impeach an attorney general for not filing a dog-and-pony show protest to reform.

The GOP is dead. At some point the lobbyists are going to abandon it and it will disintegrate but for now the lobbyists want a public spectacle - and so the GOP will give it to them.

Right honey? Says the house speaker.

by Trey Rentz 2010-03-25 02:07PM | 0 recs
RE: And here's the latest lobbyist news from the GOP

Yeah, the GOP House Speaker here in Georgia was banging a lobbyist while also carrying legislation that would have benefitted her company.

But the Democratic Attorney General is the one they say needs to be impeached.

Really?

by Andre Walker 2010-03-25 02:25PM | 0 recs
RE: And here's the latest lobbyist news from the GOP

The GOP is used up jet trash.

by Trey Rentz 2010-03-25 04:06PM | 0 recs