Heathcare Reform Signing Event

Watch the historic event starting at 11:15 AM Eastern here:

Tags: Barack Obama, healthcare reform (all tags)

Comments

RE: Heathcare Reform Signing Event

An instant standing O for John Dingell. That makes me happy. :)

It's nice to think about him in a health care context again rather than an obstructionist climate change context.

by Nathan Empsall 2010-03-23 11:29AM | 1 recs
RE: Heathcare Reform Signing Event

I really, really wish Ted Kennedy were there today.

by Nathan Empsall 2010-03-23 11:52AM | 1 recs
May we all live long enough to see our dreams come true.

I wish he was there too.

And I wish he had been giving his fiery speeches in support of passing this legislation.

Well, Barack Obama didn't let him down. And maybe he's looking on from somewhere. I also wonder what Bill and Hillary Clinton are thinking.

by NoFortunateSon 2010-03-23 04:01PM | 0 recs
I apologize

for ever doubting that I would ultimately be able to say, thanks to Barack Obama, that I told you so. I wavered a bit when the Kill-Billers seemed to have won, and because I lapsed in my belief that Nancy Pelosi was smarter and stronger than all the blue-dogs and Republicans (and 'true progressives') put together - I especially apologize to her.

by QTG 2010-03-23 12:03PM | 1 recs
Pelosi 2016

Indeed she is.

Someone told me that Nancy Pelosi is 70. I was incredulous. Sure, some of that is cosmetic. Well, a lot of it is cosmetic. And there's nothing wrong with that. But that would make her 76 in 2016 and 80 in 2020. And I don't know if that is really her desire.

My problem with the progressive blogosphere as a whole is that it often functions as nothing more than a Monday morning sports call in show. It can be very effective at convincing you of an insight and intelligence that isn't really there.

There's a reason why Nancy Pelosi is Speaker of the House and Barack Obama is President of the United States and we're in our pajamas on the Internet. It's because they are smarter and stronger than we are.

by NoFortunateSon 2010-03-23 05:15PM | 0 recs
Right...

Sure a historic event. We just passed a bill that violates the Constitution by mandating coverage and to make matters worse didnt event provide a cost effective way to purchase coverage. We passed a bill that doesnt actually control costs, rather we use accounting smoke and mirrors to make the numbers play out. We passed a bill that doesnt actually improve cost. This thing will end up in the courts and very likely ruled Unconstitutional based upon the mandate. The Federal Government doesnt have the authority to mandate citizens to purchase a product, notably a product from a private company.

by BuckeyeBlogger 2010-03-23 12:20PM | 0 recs
RE: Right...

The Bill LAW will eventually help meth-addicted wife beaters across the South pay for their Oxy-contin scrips so they can be really buzzed for Mega church and enjoy listening to the preached tell them how Jeebus wants them to be rich and vote republican. So stop grousing.

by QTG 2010-03-23 12:35PM | 1 recs
RE: Right...

What happens if you don't buy insurance and don't pay the attatched fine?

by vecky 2010-03-23 01:04PM | 1 recs
So

SO its targeted directly at you....excellent

by BuckeyeBlogger 2010-03-23 12:37PM | 0 recs
Actually

Very little, the IRS has no means to collect nor legal authority to impose penalties. All they can do worst case is not give you your tax refund. However the point is, the Federal Government does not have the constitutional authority to require citizens to purchase insurance.

by BuckeyeBlogger 2010-03-23 01:10PM | 0 recs
RE: Actually

you get to go to a teabag hospital for all the Oxy-contin your libertarian ass desires, provided you bring a small child to trade for it.

by QTG 2010-03-23 01:13PM | 0 recs
RE: Actually

Well then it's not really mandate is it? More like a financial incentive.

Eitherway this will be deicided in Court. And if it's over-turned we better think of another way to prevent people gaming the system. Any ideas?

by vecky 2010-03-23 02:24PM | 1 recs
RE: Actually

My only thought was to deny uninsured citizens coverage at the hospital. That's pretty draconian and against the law. Or, when they do show up, require them to enroll off their personal information.

by NoFortunateSon 2010-03-23 05:17PM | 0 recs
RE: Actually

Send them on to the FEMA Camps in Black helicopters, then raid their single-wide trailers and gather up the guns and ammo. Then sieze the trailer and hand it over to gay-married Mexican immigrants, who will be given union jobs building the Mexico to Canada Highway (the Nasco Corridor).

It's almost sweet for words.

by QTG 2010-03-23 05:58PM | 0 recs
Triangles

Beck is pretty damn serious about triangles, and inverted triangles.  I'll give him that.

by West of the Fields 2010-03-24 12:23AM | 0 recs