Happy President's Day
by Charles Lemos, Mon Feb 15, 2010 at 02:53:14 AM EST
Happy President’s Day!
Here’s a Presidential trivia quiz, some easy, some rather obscure ones. Each President is the right answer only once.
- Barack Obama and Abraham Lincoln were each elected from Illinois but neither was born there. Name the only President born in Illinois.
- This President had the shortest retirement of any President dying just 103 days after his term had expired. He was also the only Speaker of the House ever elected President.
- Name the only President with a PhD. He earned his degree in History at Johns Hopkins.
- At 5’4” he was the shortest President though he stands tall in our Constitutional history.
- This President was described by one of his political opponents as “a man who steps out of the shower to take a piss.”
- An accidental President, he was the last sitting President to run for the nomination of his party and not win the nomination. If it helps James Blaine would win the nod.
- The first President not to be born in one of the 13 original states.
- The last President to be a slaveholder.
- Though James Madison withdrew a nomination that likely would have been rejected by the Senate, this President was the first to have a nominated cabinet member formally rejected by the US Senate. The rejected nominee was Roger Taney who would later become a member of the Supreme Court.
- A number of Presidents never held elected office before winning the presidency but who was the first president not previously elected to any other public office? He was also the last Southerner to win the White House in the 19th Century.
- The only President whose mother tongue was not English.
- The only President to also serve on the Supreme Court.
- This President was accused of fathering a child out of wedlock and taunted with the slogan: “Ma, Ma, where’s my Pa?” When he won, the retort came back "Off to the White House, Ha Ha Ha."
- This President once served as ambassador to Colombia. In fact, that post was his last government office before being elected President.
- This President coined the term “Founding Fathers” using it in his Inaugural Address.
- The first President born in Texas though he grew up elsewhere and was elected President from yet another state.
- At the time of this President's death, he was serving in the House of Representatives. After suffering a cerebral hemorrhage on the floor of the House, he would die in in the Speaker's Room inside the Capitol.
- This President was administered the oath of office by his father. He is one of seven Presidents to have retake the oath of office.
- At his Inauguration, this President insisted on having Barbados Rum served perhaps because that was the only country to which he had ever travelled.
- The only president to have held the office of President Pro Tempore of the Senate.
- The first President born west of the Mississippi. Though President Obama has claimed the title of the first Pacific President, this man arguably has a better claim having grown up in Oregon and gone to college in California. He was also the first President to be elected from California. And like Nixon, the second Californian to win the White House, a Quaker.
- While six Presidents served as Secretary of State before being elected President and while two served as Secretary of War only one held both posts.
- The last President to have served in the Civil War. His campaign for the Presidency is generally considered the first modern campaign even though he never left his porch to campaign.
- The first President to live in the White House who his second night in the White House penned this pray. "Before I end my letter, I pray Heaven to bestow the best of Blessings on this House and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise Men ever rule under this roof."
- The first President to have a telephone installed at the White House. He was also one of four men to win the White House without winning the popular vote.
- Washington refused to accept a salary but only one other President has refused to accept a salary as President donating it instead to charity.
- The only President elected directly from the United States House of Representatives.
- This President wrote in a letter to another President that he held that “a little rebellion, now and then, is a good thing.”
- The last Whig to be President of the United States.
- Of the four US Presidents to win a Nobel Prize, the only one to win it after his term in office had expired.
- This President while in office wrote in a letter that "This is a country for white men, and by God, as long as I am President, it shall be a government for white men."
- The only President to have been a Rhodes Scholar.
- His inauguration was the first to be televised nationally.
- The first President to hail from Pennsylvania and the last to be born in the 18th century, he was the only bachelor President and is ranked by most historians as the worst ever.
- Shortly after being elected President, this President told a Pastor and a leader of a poverty abatement program that he “didn’t understand how poor people think.” He later described his wealthy backers as “the have mores” and his “base.”
- This President described being President as: “Being president is like being a jackass in a hailstorm. There's nothing to do but to stand there and take it.” In the end, he chose to not run for re-election.
- At 42 years, 10 months and 20 days, he was the youngest President. Of his Presidency, he later wrote "I did not usurp power but I did greatly broaden the use of executive power."
- One of two Quaker Presidents, he’s the only person to be elected twice to both the Presidency and the Vice Presidency. And he's the only President to have resigned the office.
- One of the shorter Presidents at 5’6”, this President hailed from Indiana. He is only one of four Presidents to win the Presidency despite losing the popular vote. He was also the grandson of a former President.
- One of eight-left handed Presidents (six since the end of World War II) and one of seven Presidents who had to retaken the oath of office but this President is the only President to win a Grammy.
- The only President to hail from New Hampshire, he was attacked for being a "doughface" (a Northerner with Southern sympathies). He’s also the only President to affirm rather than swear the oath of office.
- The only President born in Nebraska, he was a well-respected House Minority Leader whose goal in life was to become Speaker of the House. He never did, but instead took an unusual route to the White House.
- This President said of conservatives: “A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned to walk forward.” He also reminded his antagonists that “Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.” Words our current President might considering quoting.
Tags: (all tags)