Frank: "On What Planet Do You Spend Most of Your Time?"

Rep. Barney Frank (D-MA) is having none of the you're-a-Nazi bullcrap at his town hall meetings. Give the man credit for his spine in this video as he smacks down a woman who compared Obama to Hitler because she heard he might cut Medicare to help the deficit.

"Ma'am, having a conversation with you would be like trying to argue with a dining room table!"

Tags: Barney Frank, Health care, town halls (all tags)

Comments

HUZZAH!

by JerryColorado23 2009-08-18 09:00PM | 0 recs
Re: Frank:

Yeah.  If the Democrats had been handling these people like this from the beginning, we'd be in much better shape right now.  But I didn't see this on any of the national coverage tonight.

by Drummond 2009-08-18 09:57PM | 0 recs
Re: Frank:

Well, it is one of the top six AP Top Stories headlines on Yahoo News. That's something.

by Nathan Empsall 2009-08-19 10:16AM | 0 recs
I love Barney Frank

Ever since I first saw him in the 80's. He rarely fails me.

by molly bloom 2009-08-19 03:41AM | 0 recs
Re: I love Barney Frank

And its not an act or contrived. My dad used to say about people like him: He don't suffer fools well.

I love this clip from Colbert:

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert -report-videos/181218/november-17-2005/n o-good-deed

by JerryColorado23 2009-08-19 06:22AM | 0 recs
Barney Frank: Laying the Smackdown on the GOP...

...Since 1981.

The posted video demonstrates how to handle the Republicants' inane tripe.

by Andre Walker 2009-08-19 03:45AM | 0 recs
Why dont more democrats

have a spine?

by sepulvedaj3 2009-08-19 07:03AM | 0 recs
Re: Why dont more democrats

Because in most cases their spines have been surgically removed by their corporate overlords. It's been fun watching Dems backpeddle in the face of outright lies and falsehoods instead of sticking up for the truth and their constituents. The Audacity of Hope? Yeah, right. WTB some "audacity."

by Vetch 2009-08-19 07:11AM | 0 recs
Re: Frank: "On What Planet Do You Spend

Good for Frank. He said what is on the minds of all intelligent Americans. It is time that the vocal minority is exposed for what it is. The White House has been very patient with the stream of distortions and lies by Republicans. Time to move on and get it done. There is a related post at http://iamsoannoyed.com/?page_id=588

by carlyt 2009-08-19 07:19AM | 0 recs
I love all these evangelical crackers...

Telling Jews they are Nazis...

My take, he was GENTLE on her, because she just threw the holocaust and Hitler overboard for a Rush Limbaugh moment.

But, Barney was partially wrong. I can have a way more intelligent conversation with my kitchen table then that loon.

by WashStateBlue 2009-08-19 08:41AM | 0 recs
Re: I love all these evangelical crackers...

My understanding is that she was a Lyndon LaRouche follower.

Congressman Frank handled it well. Never lost his cool or temper and pretty much nailed it.

by Charles Lemos 2009-08-19 04:40PM | 0 recs
As a Republican

I would just like to cheer Rep. Barney here.  This is what needs to be done more often.

Listen; I'm a republican, but these people are their own brand of crazy.  No self-respecing person, regardless of party affiliation, is going to storm into a town hall meeting an accuse someone holocaust-like behavior (especially someone of jewish heritage.)

These loons are giving my party a seriously bad name, and I'm all for anyone who shuts them up.

by CArepub 2009-08-19 09:33AM | 0 recs
Re: As a Republican

Oh, I'd also like to point out that this approach is far better than the sly, witty approach.

I remember one interview in particular where Obama was asked about the death panels.  He smirked and replied something like, "I don't think we quite have the staff to run an operation like that."

While the intelligent people (both D and R) will understand the point he was making, the crazies (i.e. the town hall shouters) will probably take that as his approval of said death panels.

Dems need to take a page from the book of Barney.  Heck, Repubs too.  Tell these people that if they can't have a discussion like adults, they'll have to sit at the kiddies table.

by CArepub 2009-08-19 09:42AM | 0 recs
Re: As a Republican

So here's a question: If you were Barney Frank, what would you have said as a response? Discuss it: http://www.governmentalityblog.com/my_we blog/2009/08/question-of-the-day-81909-b arney-frank.html

by oe1 2009-08-19 09:59AM | 0 recs
Just realized

Something just struck me.  Barney Frank is openly gay (one of two in Congress, if I recall correctly)

Seriously, how is the homo gonna be the first one to man up and tell someone to shut their pie hole.  In a complete reversal from the standard gays-in-the-military stance, the heteros are all wimpering in their fox holes, while cap'n fabulous goes on the offensive.

Before any thick-skulls get all huffy with me for pointing out Barney's sexuality, my ire is directed at the "manly-men" who haven't yet grown a pair. Again, kudos to Barney Frank.

by CArepub 2009-08-19 03:45PM | 0 recs
Re: Just realized

I don't think anyone would get "huffy" with you for pointing out his sexuality, but using language like "the homo" is an entirely different matter.

by Nathan Empsall 2009-08-19 05:16PM | 0 recs
Three

Frank, Tammy Baldwin and Jared Polis.

Though Frank wasn't out when elected, Baldwin was the first out person to be elected.

by DTOzone 2009-08-19 06:41PM | 0 recs
Re: Three

Easy mistake, since Polis was just elected last year.

by Nathan Empsall 2009-08-19 07:50PM | 0 recs