Final Health Care Cloture Vote Passes

As I wrote the below piece explaining my support for the ugly Senate bill, it passed its final cloture vote 60-39. (Republican Jim Bunning did not vote.) Now we only need 50. I hope Bernie Sanders and Russ Feingold vote against it to make a statement at 7am tomorrow, but I am sure - and grateful - that it will pass. It doesn't deserve the resounding endorsement of a 60 vote passage, but I do believe it deserves passage.

Tags: Filibuster, health care reform (all tags)

Comments

Re: Final Health Care Cloture Vote Passes

Haha, I don't think Feingold will vote against it. Sanders perhaps. Feingold has been quite open about his willingness to be pragmatic in this whole ordeal, as has Sanders. Feingold voted for cloture on the defense spending bill to clear the way for the health care debate, and Sanders withdrew his single-payer bill to save the Democrats an extra round of Republican delay tactics.

If I had to guess, I'd say Feingold will make a speech saying that "although he's deeply disappointed with the absence of a public option, he recognizes that something HAS to be done and that this might be a good first step etc."

Of course, for all the hard work Feingold's put in for health care reform, his willingness to compromise is getting jeers from constituents who see the sweet deals Nelson and Lieberman got for being such grinches.

by The Sconz 2009-12-23 12:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Final Health Care Cloture Vote Passes

If Feingold had been "pragmatic" enough not to oppose reconciliation, maybe we would have gotten a better bill.  This legislative process has few heroes.

by Steve M 2009-12-23 12:23PM | 0 recs
Re: Final Health Care Cloture Vote Passes

Voting against the bill just to make a statement is sorta Kucinich-like behavior.  If they believe the bill is worse than the status quo, then they should vote against it, no question.  But every bill could be better, usually a lot better, and that doesn't require some Ochocinco-like display.

by Steve M 2009-12-23 12:22PM | 0 recs
Re: Final Health Care Cloture Vote Passes

I would compare it more to the baseball Hall of Fame than to Kucinich... denying someone entrance on the first ballot but voting for them later on, as if to say, you deserve the honor of being in the Hall but let's have an even higher honor of being in on the first ballot. Either way, the end result is the same and that's what matters, especially in policy, but I do believe there is a certain importance to symbolism.

by Nathan Empsall 2009-12-23 04:18PM | 0 recs
Re: Final Health Care Cloture Vote Passes

Well, people who vote against obvious Hall of Famers because no one deserves to be unanimous are dicks imo.

by Steve M 2009-12-23 04:28PM | 0 recs
Re: Final Health Care Cloture Vote Passes

Well on that point I agree. I'm talking more about the ones who say, "You're a HOFer, but not a first ballotter." I would say that Babe Ruth deserves to be unanimous first ballot, Tony Gwynn deserved to be first ballot, and Goose Gossage deserved to get in but not on the first ballot. A bit different than what you mention.

by Nathan Empsall 2009-12-23 05:05PM | 0 recs
David Vitter blocks final vote tonight

Tom Harkin requested moving the final health care bill vote up to this evening, to make it easier for senators to get home to their families, but David Vitter said no dice.

by desmoinesdem 2009-12-23 12:51PM | 0 recs
Re: David Vitter blocks final vote tonight

Well sure. Why go home to your family in Louisiana when you can settle for prostitutes in DC? Probably cheaper than airfare anyway.

by Nathan Empsall 2009-12-23 04:19PM | 0 recs
Re: Final Health Care Cloture Vote Passes

The 'turd' lives! Long live the 'turd'!

by QTG 2009-12-23 02:02PM | 0 recs