Lieberman Backed Medicare Buy-In This Fall

Greg Sargent makes an excellent catch, finding that not only did Joe Lieberman support in the somewhat distant past the type of Medicare buy-in proposal he is now promising to filibuster -- he spoke out in favor of such a proposal just three months ago. Take a look:

The Beltway press is beginning to take note that Lieberman's position isn't really principled, and this video evidence isn't likely to help the Connecticut Senator convince anyone otherwise. Given that Lieberman's power stems from his cachet with the establishment, the potential that he will lose this cachet as more realize that his positions are less about principle than politics might actually be the way to get him to back down.

Tags: 111th Congress, Healthcare, Joe Lieberman (all tags)

Comments

I think you may be on to something

Mr. Independent has this aura of an honest broker for all America. But if he is revealed to be a lying, flip-flopping cretin, he loses the attention he craves above all else.

by NoFortunateSon 2009-12-14 10:56AM | 0 recs
The GOP and Joe

The GOP is a vanishing party - we should really keep this in mind - that no party is guaranteed tenure as an American institution. The GOP, and now we see clearly - Joe Lieberman , are two political entities that have telegraphed their intent to be bought at the highest bidder.

Lobbyism just doesn't fit in with conservatism - Joe is not saving any money for the 72% of Americans that want real healthcare reform - he's not standing for smaller government - hes simply standing for government for sale to the highest bidder.

Joe's thinking is based on the concept that lobbyist firms can cover alot of your campaign expenses but he should really remember that he was knocked out of the primary by Lamont - who was running without all the lobbies.

And of couse, in Joe's "day" people would forget about stuff like this because the net wasn't here to record it.

Joe just got caught in the net. Good catch Jon.

by Trey Rentz 2009-12-14 11:07AM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman Backed Medicare Buy-In This Fall

The Joe-mentum is just getting going.  As this train runs off the tracks going down hill, there will be some real sparks.

How long 'till he throws in with the "birthers", you know, for a quick buck and a knife in the back?

by Hammer1001 2009-12-14 11:33AM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman Backed Medicare Buy-In This Fall

He's a piece of crap!

by BE10sCoach 2009-12-14 11:52AM | 0 recs
Don't complement crap like that

It's insulting :)

by NoFortunateSon 2009-12-14 11:58AM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman Backed Medicare Buy-In This Fall

I must confess that back in 2006, I bought into the "he's with us on everything but the war" and as I still supported the war at the time, I was outraged when Lamont beat Lieberman in the primary....

When people ask my what my biggest political regret of the past decade is, I now regularly say the money I contributed to his 2006 re-election campaign. This man is an embarassment.  As a Jewish American, watching the first Jewish major party top-ticket nominee act this way is even more disgraceful....  For him, 2012 can't come soon enough....  I hope he runs for re-election, I want him to watch himself get crushed into the ground.

by bannana873 2009-12-14 12:28PM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman Backed Medicare Buy-In This Fall

He really is a piece of work.

by Charles Lemos 2009-12-14 03:56PM | 0 recs