Big win in Houston

The Houston mayoral election has been called, and Annise Parker is Houston's next mayor:

In a  close run-off race of historic proportions, Houston voters chose City Controller Annise Parker as Houston's next mayor. Parker defeated attorney Gene Locke Saturday with about 53 percent of the vote (with 99.86 percent of the precincts in). When sworn in in early January, she will become the first lesbian to serve as mayor of a major American city and only the second woman to hold the city's highest office.Her sexual orientation was not an issue brought up by her, or in the campaign [edit, an attack was done covertly through mailers]. But I'm sure the LGBT turnout in Houston, especially given the low overall turnout, was a factor. Brown led by 13 percent (49-36) in the last poll done, so her margin of 6% is a bit off, but earlier polls showed a close race. BOP has an election thread on the race.

Tags: Annise Parker (all tags)

Comments

Re: Big win in Houston

Her sexuality was an issue broght up in fliers and other media by anti gay bigots. So, her win in Texas is HUGE.

by bruh3 2009-12-12 07:05PM | 0 recs
Re: Big win in Houston

Was it?  I looked around the blogs and news and didn't see that it was brought up. I def could have overlooked it. And that would explain the late close in the poll numbers.

by Jerome Armstrong 2009-12-12 07:13PM | 0 recs
Re: Big win in Houston

showed up in the gay press

http://joemygod.blogspot.com/2009/11/hou ston-wingnut-mails-anti-gay-annise.html

also late infusion of money from homophobes, etc.

by bruh3 2009-12-12 07:18PM | 0 recs
Re: Big win in Houston

Yes, it was brought up.  Some schmuck Hotze who apparently the Locke campaign may have been in bed with, and about 200+ preachers who basically denounced Parker for her sexuality.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/12/us/12h ouston.html

by mikes101 2009-12-12 08:03PM | 0 recs
Re: Big win in Houston

It is a big win. At the end of the campaign, her lesbianism seem to be the only issue.

by Charles Lemos 2009-12-12 08:10PM | 0 recs
I will be interested to see

what kind of coalition she was able to put together. I assume the LGBT community plus liberals doesn't get you past 50 percent in Houston, even in a low-turnout environment.

by desmoinesdem 2009-12-13 01:15AM | 0 recs
Re: I will be interested to see

Houston has a HUGE LGBT community, and lots of students.  I could see that a very low turnout election could put gays and young people and liberals at 50% +1

by lojasmo 2009-12-13 04:04AM | 0 recs
Re: I will be interested to see

I'm a Houstonian, so here's my take - this election was very similar to the split you saw in the Obama / Clinton race.  Gene Locke is a black Dem., and he was her opponent.  He tried to go for the conservative vote, however, as there was no conservative candidate that made it to the runoff.

So I think in the end Parker ended up with most of the white liberal vote inside the 610 loop - she had 6 years of experience as City Controller and I think she came across as the most qualified candidate, so people voting based on qualifications voted for her.  Locke got the black vote and some more conservative voters on Houston's west side (Culberson's district).  But most conservative voters just stayed home - they were not happy at choosing between 2 Dems - the only conservative in the race, Morales, got 20% of the vote in the initial November race and was eliminated from the runoff.

The city of Houston voted something like 65% for Obama.  So Locke's strategy of appealing to more conservative voters appears to have been misguided.  It's the Houston suburbs that are conservative, and they weren't voting in this election.

by mikes101 2009-12-13 06:55AM | 0 recs
Re: I will be interested to see

Just for clarity: The city of Houston voted something like 65% for Obama - in the General Election.  In the primaries, I'm pretty sure that Houston went narrowly for Clinton, and you saw similar demographic block trends from last night.

by mikes101 2009-12-13 07:00AM | 0 recs
Re: I will be interested to see

Houston went for Obama in the primary, though I don't know what the split was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Democ ratic_primary_and_caucuses,_2008

by lojasmo 2009-12-13 07:56AM | 0 recs
Re: I will be interested to see

The split was Obama 228k to Clinton 176k in Harris County, which includes areas that are not part of Houston.

Thanks for the clarification.  I was mistaken - I still think the larger point I was making about Parker voters is accurate.

by mikes101 2009-12-13 09:54AM | 0 recs