New York/Maine Results Thread

Fox News calls the race for Democrat Owens

With three-quarters of the vote in up in New York, Democrat Bill Owens continues to lead. Marriage equality hanging in the balance in Maine, now trailing.

New York 23

Bill Owens (D): 58,787 votes (49.0 percent)
Doug Hoffman (C): 54,518 votes (45.4 percent)

With 85 percent of precincts reporting as of 11:45 PM Eastern

Maine Marriage Equality (vote to overturn)

No: 227,251(47.61 percent)
Yes: 250,108 (52.39 percent)

With 83 percent of precincts reporting as of 12:30 AM Eastern

More as we hear it, and more over at Twitter @jonathanhsinger...

Update [2009-11-4 0:34:40 by Charles Lemos]: I have ceased to update the NY-23 results now that Hoffman has conceded. I am still updating the Maine Marriage Equality results.

Tags: Governor 2009, Maine, Marriage Equality, new jersey, New York, NJ-Gov, NY-23 (all tags)

Comments

Re: New Jersey Polls Close

If Corzine wins that race with his favorability rating that would be a history making event.....

by lori 2009-11-03 03:12PM | 0 recs
Re: New Jersey Polls Close

What did he close at, 37% approval rating?  yea, that would be some kind of record. I don't see it happeing-- would be too big a fluke.

by Jerome Armstrong 2009-11-03 03:33PM | 0 recs
Re: New Jersey Polls Close

37% is about right , I don't think its ever been done before . Not really sure who has won with such approval ratings...

Corzine should thank Daggett for the tight race , even so I don't see that being enough ....

by lori 2009-11-03 03:48PM | 0 recs
Only one I can think of even close

is when Edwards beat David Duke in Louisiana.

What it says is that NJ is just not very winnable for the GOP.

by fladem 2009-11-03 04:33PM | 0 recs
Re: New Jersey Polls Close

I asked my boss how he voted, figuring he's a good bellwether since he's the only person I know that waited until the last day to decide between Bush and Kerry.  He said he didn't vote... so there you have it.  He did say that he couldn't have voted for Christie but I'm not sure if he was joking.

by Steve M 2009-11-03 03:15PM | 0 recs
Re: New Jersey Polls Close

Oh, and I hate to sound like a broken record, but don't forget that a lot of Dems voted early!  I assume that's not reflected in the exit polls.

by Steve M 2009-11-03 03:17PM | 0 recs
what percent voted early?

If Corzine's losing indies by 20 points, that's a lot of ground to make up.

by desmoinesdem 2009-11-03 03:29PM | 0 recs
Re: what percent voted early?

In 2008 the breakdown was 44% Dem, 28% Ind, 28% Rep.  So if you consolidate the Ds you really don't need that many indies.  Still, the game in an offyear election is turnout, so who knows.

by Steve M 2009-11-03 03:35PM | 0 recs
Re: New Jersey Polls Close

my numbers show Corzine down by 5%.....

Corz will lose unfortunately

by changster 2009-11-03 03:26PM | 0 recs
Re: New Jersey Polls Close

Karl?

by lojasmo 2009-11-03 03:37PM | 0 recs
Re: New Jersey Polls Close

With 2.9% of precincts, it's 49% for Christie, 43% for Corzine and 7% for Daggett.

by Charles Lemos 2009-11-03 03:43PM | 0 recs
Re: New Jersey Polls Close

The NYT has excellent coverage and a great map showing where the returns are coming in.

Almost None of Essex and Hudson County are in, where the Dem base, neither is Camden County. Look at how well Christie is doing in Bergen County, if it looks he is killing Corzine there, then Christie wins.

http://elections.nytimes.com/2009/result s/new-jersey.html

by NJDEM1 2009-11-03 03:45PM | 0 recs
Newark

From PolitickerNJ:

Corroborated sources from the city's five wards show the city underperforming compared to the 2005 governor's race.

Four years ago, Jon Corzine received 39,600 votes in the state's biggest city.

Right now, projections show the governor receiving 33,200 votes or 8,000 votes in the North Ward, 8,000 in the South Ward, 7,000 in the West Ward, 4,200 in the East Ward, and 6,000 in the Central Ward.

Not good. Still the real battle is for the burbs.

by Charles Lemos 2009-11-03 03:48PM | 0 recs
Re: New Jersey Polls Close

Not feeling particularly well about this one. Hudson is almost half in and Morris and the Northwest Counties aren't even in. Christie will do very well there.

by NJDEM1 2009-11-03 03:52PM | 0 recs
great post at Swing State Project

breaks down the 2008 NJ vote by county and projects how well Corzine has to do in various counties in order to squeak by tonight.

by desmoinesdem 2009-11-03 03:58PM | 0 recs
Goodbye Democrats

Thanks Obama, you jackass.

by Kent 2009-11-03 03:58PM | 0 recs
Re: Goodbye Democrats

Perhaps you should consider that as a signature line, it kinda' sums up your contribution here.

by Shaun Appleby 2009-11-03 04:02PM | 0 recs
Re: Goodbye Democrats

Would you please give it a fucking rest?  Obama has zilch to do with Corzine's problems.

by Steve M 2009-11-03 04:02PM | 0 recs
Re: Goodbye Democrats

As the exit polls showed, the election had more to do with local issues than Obama.

by RJEvans 2009-11-03 04:04PM | 0 recs
Local issues my ass

When a party does poorly, you cant just blame it on "local issues".

by Kent 2009-11-03 04:08PM | 0 recs
Re: Local issues my ass

Kent, are you saying that it is not possible that people just don't like Corzine?

by jeopardy 2009-11-03 04:14PM | 0 recs
Except the exit polls say exactly that

so do us all a favor and drop dead, k? thanks

by ND22 2009-11-03 04:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Local issues my ass

And what exactly did the local issue your ass?

by Sumo Vita 2009-11-03 07:05PM | 0 recs
Re: Local issues my ass

Those not given to disingenuous or reactionary claims might reasonably blame the teabagger scum parades, big business' distorted propaganda, Glenn Beck's chicanery, town hall rent-a-mob "socialism" idiocy, in addition to local issues... not to mention naive and equally reactionary swing voters.

So more Jersey exiles are going to high tail it to North Carolina and turn this state even bluer. What's not to like?

by Sumo Vita 2009-11-03 07:23PM | 0 recs
Re: Goodbye Democrats

If we had miraculously swept all three of these races you would still be telling us how fucked we are, you jackass.

The fact that you still have an account here after your veiled threat to Joe Lieberman's safety was deleted by a mod is pretty awesome.  Go team!

by thatrangeofshadesbetweenredandbluestuff 2009-11-03 04:45PM | 0 recs
Re: Goodbye Democrats

Do you remember November 2001?  Two months after 9/11 when Bush's approval ratings were in the 70's and DEMOCRAT Mark Warner won the governor's race in Virginia?

This isn't about Obama.

by psychodrew 2009-11-03 05:58PM | 0 recs
Re: New Jersey and New York Polls Close

Look I live in NJ. Corzine has been deeply hated here for a long time. Alot of people here blame him for the local economy and other issues. To top it off, people have this perception that this is such a blue state; again I have lived here my whole life and it is NOT as liberal an area as people think.  Some of our most HATED governors have been democrats - think Florio, think McGreevey etc.  And Kean & Whitman were fairly well regarded despite the fact that they both disgusted me. And to top it off we have the Bush compatriot scumbag Christie coming in here to govern. We are so screwed. But, my point is that there is a fairly strong tea party movement here and a fair amount of anti-Obama sentiment. There are plenty of those who, aside from their desire to oust Corzine, would be motivated to vote just to send an anti Democratic president message.

by jrsygrl 2009-11-03 04:12PM | 0 recs
If thats the case, Democrats will lose the House

And never get it back.  We would have been better off had Obama lost this election.

by Kent 2009-11-03 04:13PM | 0 recs
Choke on a knife and die.

by ND22 2009-11-03 04:31PM | 0 recs
Re: Choke on a knife and die.

You comment is uncalled for.  I suggest you learn to articulate your anger at Kent better than such a childish comment.

by FilbertSF 2009-11-03 04:37PM | 0 recs
Re: Choke on a knife and die.

Right. The maturity really shines through in that "Thanks Obama, you jackass" comment.

by Sumo Vita 2009-11-03 07:27PM | 0 recs
Re: Choke on a knife and die.

Your comments to Kent are not acceptable, you need to apologize.

by BuckeyeBlogger 2009-11-03 04:42PM | 0 recs
Re: blah blah blah.

You might have.  Frankly, I prefer both houses of congress and the POTUS be in the hand of democrats.  Who gives a flying fuck about NJ and VA?

by lojasmo 2009-11-03 04:40PM | 0 recs
Re: blah blah blah.

Is this a response to me?  I posted on this thread b/c it is about NJ and I am stuck living here with a Bush piece of shit clone as my governor. So I care. Although, I of course care about the Democrats dominating the WH & Congress, it does not speak well of our future if this is spun as a referendum (why we only get 1 years to reverse 8 years of being raped is beyond me but again demonstrates how poorly our party does in the PR game which is the big problem here, if you want to think big picture and not in terms of NJ & VA).

by jrsygrl 2009-11-03 04:46PM | 0 recs
Re: blah blah blah.

It is not a referendum on Obama, just like McGreevey and Warner's win in 2001 was not a referendum on Bush.

by Khun David 2009-11-03 05:32PM | 0 recs
and Whitman/Clinton

by John DE 2009-11-03 05:57PM | 0 recs
Re: blah blah blah.

Look whether or not that is the reality this is the perception that will be advanced successfully.  And in the end, like much of Republican marketing campaigns, right or wrong, perception will become reality.

by jrsygrl 2009-11-03 06:13PM | 0 recs
If Republicans start to believe

their own propaganda, then I don't feel too badly.

Six years ago, the Republicans held 10 seats of the New York delegation in Congress.  As of tomorrow, they hold 2.

by Khun David 2009-11-03 07:35PM | 0 recs
Re: If Republicans start to believe

I'm talking about the reality that will be passed along by the TV talking heads & believed by the low information voter at the end day, who tends to just vote with who they think will win.  I'm not talking about hard core Republicans. Bottom line is the message in the MSM is that this means Obama is failing, right or wrong, that is the perception being advanced.

by jrsygrl 2009-11-04 03:04AM | 0 recs
Re: blah blah blah.

Gosh, no.  It was a response to upstate/kent

by lojasmo 2009-11-03 05:44PM | 0 recs
Re: New Jersey/Maine Results Thread

We deserved to lose. I do not understand why Corzine is SO unpopular. Things are not that bad here (I just moved here from Philly). Property taxes are not much higher than PA where I live. Yes, where there are million dollar homes, in Princeton they are high--and should be.

Corzine should not have been the nominee even though he hasn't done a bad job considering. His budget was better than DE's and NJ was more in trouble.

So I am stuck with a corrupt Bush crony--awesome. I could live with a moderate republican, but this guy is a wingnut. Democrats misread how angry the public was, even though most of it was the Republican's national economic fault--not Corzine. Sigh.

by Airb330 2009-11-03 05:13PM | 0 recs
Re: New Jersey/Maine Results Thread

You really did just move here then. Trust me there are very middle class people having to SELL their homes b/c their property taxes have just risen at an unaffordable rate. Middle class people cannot afford to pay what amounts to salaries for some people in property taxes each year. And I know people who do, who do NOT live in mansions worth millions in the least.

by jrsygrl 2009-11-03 06:26PM | 0 recs
Heartbroken

over Corzine.

He's really just a good person.

The flip side is I can now start pushing to dump Geithner and replace him Corzine.

by Charles Lemos 2009-11-03 05:25PM | 0 recs
We need a frontpage article on replacing

Geithner with Corzine...

by louisprandtl 2009-11-03 05:28PM | 0 recs
Re: We need a frontpage article on replacing

tomorrow, not tonight.

by Charles Lemos 2009-11-03 05:45PM | 0 recs
I was pushing that in December/January

because the polls told us even then Corzine was in trouble.

by John DE 2009-11-03 05:58PM | 0 recs
Re: New Jersey/Maine Results Thread

Not surprised....jersey is a mess....

by BuckeyeBlogger 2009-11-03 05:31PM | 0 recs
Re: New York/Maine Results Thread

Living in Ohio doesnt suck so bad right now! Good luck with that ultra conservative NJ.

Jon Corzine for Treasury Secretary!!

by bsavage 2009-11-03 05:55PM | 0 recs
Re: New York/Maine Results Thread

NBo we dont need Corzine as Treasurey Secretary,...we have neough Goldman Sachs Shills working for the Government.....we dont need Corzine....

by BuckeyeBlogger 2009-11-03 06:00PM | 0 recs
Re: New York/Maine Results Thread

A part of me is glad Corzine lost.  The "throwing his weight around" ad was absolutely unacceptable.  Trying to stir up anti-fat prejudice to get a seat is no more acceptable than the birther bullshit.

by psychodrew 2009-11-03 06:00PM | 0 recs
Re: New York/Maine Results Thread

I feel Jersey's pain with Corzine. New York has its own problem with Paterson (I'm not voting for his reelection).

by RJEvans 2009-11-03 06:06PM | 0 recs

Jesus, really?

Some bloviator on the news just called Palin a "heavy hitter"  Should we all clutch our pearls about that too?

by lojasmo 2009-11-03 06:29PM | 0 recs
Re: New York/Maine Results Thread

Oh please.  That ad was meant to remind voters, "Hey, my opponent is FAT.  Don't vote for a fat guy."  That kind of politics should be beneath a party that advocates for social justice.  Switch parties if you want to play on voter prejudices.

by psychodrew 2009-11-03 06:37PM | 0 recs
Re: New York/Maine Results Thread

With over 50% of the population overweight by default is there really any prejudice left against fatness?

by vecky 2009-11-03 08:28PM | 0 recs
Re: New York/Maine Results Thread

That's what fixed news wants people to believe, but it's bullshit.

by lojasmo 2009-11-04 04:22AM | 0 recs
Re: New York/Maine Results Thread

Hoffman would have to run up the score to win this one....

Tough to do...

by lori 2009-11-03 06:36PM | 0 recs

How sweet it is.

by Shaun Appleby 2009-11-03 06:40PM | 0 recs
Re: New York/Maine Results Thread

Looking pretty solid now... thank goodness for small favors.  I'll take it.

by thatrangeofshadesbetweenredandbluestuff 2009-11-03 06:43PM | 0 recs
1871

1871 baby 1871

by Charles Lemos 2009-11-03 06:48PM | 0 recs
Re: 1871

It is kind of ironic that our only good news of the night comes from a special election no one would have cared the least bit about if the wingnuts hadn't decided to make it into Gettysburg.

by Steve M 2009-11-03 06:55PM | 0 recs
Re: 1871

well, a couple of things. It is historic because the NY-23 was last a Democratic district when US Grant was President. Then go across the border to Vermont. Vermont boasts the distinction of being the only state never to have voted for Democrat until 1964. It next voted for a Democrat in 1992 and hasn't looked back since.

There are now just two GOP Congressmen from NY and none from New England. This is re-alignment.

My other suspicion is that this has upped Palin's stock among the GOP base. That is a blessing. She is unelectable.

by Charles Lemos 2009-11-03 07:15PM | 0 recs
Re: 1871

Yeah, but honestly, there was a realignment whether or not we won NY-23.  Likewise, if Chris Dodd loses his reelection, it doesn't mean there's a re-realignment, it just means that Dodd kinda sucks.

I do appreciate the history factor.  My hometown district elected a Democrat in 2006 for the first time since before the war, and it felt great.

by Steve M 2009-11-03 07:21PM | 0 recs
Re: New York/Maine Results Thread

Owens WINS! That should teach Republicans a lesson.

by RJEvans 2009-11-03 07:16PM | 0 recs
Re: New York/Maine Results Thread

If anything, it should teach the teabaggers a lesson.  It won't, but if they were smart it would.  The GOP would have won this seat without their intervention.

It makes the victory even more sweet knowing that these teabags are going to target more "RINO's" next year.

by thatrangeofshadesbetweenredandbluestuff 2009-11-03 07:22PM | 0 recs
Who fucking cares?

Democrats won a seat in a district carried by the President in 2008 that will not exist in three years.

Meanwhile, we go down in defeat in more important contests...

But hey, we beat Glenn Beck.  That's the most important thing!

by psychodrew 2009-11-03 07:30PM | 0 recs
Re: Who fucking cares?

I care.

How many teabaggers do you know? Their lunacy and belligerence has to be seen to be believed - and, trust me, is NOT to be encouraged.

by Sumo Vita 2009-11-03 07:35PM | 0 recs
Re: Who fucking cares?

It's a meaningless victory in a district that disappears in three years.  The teabaggers didn't lose to Democrats.  They lost to mainstream Republicans.  The real winners tonight were the Meghan McCains.

by psychodrew 2009-11-03 07:46PM | 0 recs
Re: Who fucking cares?

Long-term, I think you are right but near-term Sarah Palin is the winner. But it's deceptive. She is winning control of the GOP but what sort of prize is that?

by Charles Lemos 2009-11-03 07:53PM | 0 recs
Re: Who fucking cares?

But Sarah Palin didn't win tonight.  She lost.  She led the GOP off a cliff.

by psychodrew 2009-11-03 08:05PM | 0 recs
Re: Who fucking cares?

And we should be happy about that.

by vecky 2009-11-03 08:30PM | 0 recs
Democrats won both Congressional races

Including a congressional district held by Republicans since 1871.

The message is a repudiation of conservative hijacking (in NY-23) and a sign people are still willing to trust Democrats with Congress.

Governorships have the benefit of sending a wakeup message to the White House while at the same time being relatively pointless for the national agenda.

by NoFortunateSon 2009-11-03 08:40PM | 0 recs