NY-Sen: Cuomo Or Kennedy Vs. King

PPP releases more of it's New York Senate poll, and the numbers are a wake-up call:

The latest Public Policy Polling survey finds that both Andrew Cuomo and Caroline Kennedy would both lead possible U.S. Senate faceoffs in 2010 against Rep. Peter King (R-NY), although there's a wide disparity in the margins.

Cuomo would beat King, 48% to 29%, while Kennedy would barely edge him, 46% to 44%.

Of course, this assumes King would be the Republican nominee and not a stronger candidate such as Rudy Giuliani.

But no fear, Kennedy backers - Maureen Dowd provided an endorsement in her column today. Dowd's response to Kennedy-doubters:

People are suddenly awfully choosy about who gets to go to the former home of Jesse Helms, Strom Thurmond and Robert Torricelli.

It's an argument I hadn't considered: Kennedy isn't racist or corrupt. Point Kennedy.

Tags: NY-SEN (all tags)

Comments

Ha!

She probably isn't a fascist (ala McCarthy) either.  Thank you Maureen for the high bar.

by linc 2009-01-07 02:03PM | 0 recs
Re: NY-Sen: Cuomo Or Kennedy Vs. King

Whenever I think Maureen Dowd can't get worse she proves me wrong.

by aaronetc 2009-01-07 02:12PM | 0 recs
did Dowd say whether Caroline Kennedy

shops at Barney's? That seems to be really important in MoDo's world.

by desmoinesdem 2009-01-07 02:15PM | 0 recs
Maureen Dowd ??????????

If Maureen thinks she'd be good . . .

Honestly, folks, the more the public gets to like, you know, uhm, know Caroline, the like, you know, uhm, less impressed they are.

Right now, she's just an empty Chanel suit with a famous last name and lots and lots of money.  Lots more money than McCain.  And, lots of houses, too. (I don't think McCain ever had his own family Greek island getaway.  And Cape Cod getaway.  And Palm Beach getaway.  And Deer Valley getaway.  And Virginia getaway.  And Jersey horse country getaway.  And Newport getaway.  And Manhattan penthouse.  Etc.  Etc.)  Or is a dozen +/- houses in the family trusts now acceptable?

by kosnomore 2009-01-07 02:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Maureen Dowd ??????????

You know if I thought for a minute your disdain for her had actually had anything to do with her qualifications rather than who she supported I might buy your position.

by jsfox 2009-01-07 02:34PM | 0 recs
Re: NY-Sen: Cuomo Or Kennedy Vs. King

Is Rudy Giuliani really a stronger candidate than Peter King?  I have my doubts.

by Steve M 2009-01-07 02:23PM | 0 recs
King Is Stronger in My Opinion

Giuliani is back to his pre-9/11 popularity numbers in NY which sucked.  My read talking to people is there is serious some resentment about how Rudy tried to use 9/11 to get to the WH.  I think NYers want him to go away.

King could be an interesting candidate for the Rs - decent on labor issues, from LI, has working class roots.  He is pro-life which will be a big, big problem.  In the end I think most Dems would be beat him.

by jmnyc 2009-01-07 05:33PM | 0 recs
Re: NY-Sen: Cuomo Or Kennedy Vs. King

while I like Maureen, I don't think the fact that she likes Caroline is a point in Caroline's favor.  And most everyone less doesn't even like her (around here anyway).

The reason to pick someone qualified isn't because Caroline is a woman, or that she isn't nice, but that she gets in line ahead of those who've been public servants a lot longer but don't have family backing. This is a chance to put someone in the Senate who is deserving but doesn't have money and power backing.  To open doors for those to whom they've been closed, not to those born to privilege.  But, that's my opinion and I'm a nobody.

by anna shane 2009-01-07 02:35PM | 0 recs
Re: Assuming of course

I of course do assume there are qualified legislators who would like that job.

by anna shane 2009-01-08 07:02AM | 0 recs
Did she just say...

...that Rudy Giuliani was a strong candidate?

"A noun, a verb, & 9/11" Rudy Giuliani?  15% of Florida's Republican primary vote Rudy Giuliani?  That guy?

I had trouble reading after that.

by Dracomicron 2009-01-07 02:43PM | 0 recs
Wait it was PPP that said that.

That's just silly, though.

by Dracomicron 2009-01-07 02:44PM | 0 recs
Re: NY-Sen: Cuomo Or Kennedy Vs. King
The poll shows Kennedy is a polarizing figure. She will rally the Republicans and does not pick up as many Independents. Cuomo on the other hand gets support from across the board, much like Clinton in 2006. I think Kennedy will ultimately beat King by 10 points, but if Giuliani runs, that may be interesting. Either way, I still don't support Kennedy for this honor. Obama should give her US Ambassador to the United Kingdom. I guess he's waiting to see if she gets the seat.
by RJEvans 2009-01-07 03:21PM | 0 recs
Re: Kennedy's numbers

Kennedy can and probably will win in the end if she is appointed but Cuomo is a stronger and safer candidate.  He has learned a lot from his 2002 campaign implosion and it has made him a much better candidate.  I am not a Cuomo fan but I am impressed with the way he has adapted to electoral politics.

by jmnyc 2009-01-07 05:37PM | 0 recs
Re: NY-Sen: Cuomo Or Kennedy Vs. King
You are underestimating how important it is that New York has a senator named Kennedy. But it must be the right Kennedy. That is why I am endorsing former MTV VJ Kennedy:
http://jonswift.blogspot.com/2009/01/ken nedy-for-new-york-senate.html