Chuck Hagel: Reality-Based Republican

I always knew Chuck Hagel was a sexist. Questioning Sarah Palin's qualifications, how dare he!

"She doesn't have any foreign policy credentials," Hagel said in an interview. "You get a passport for the first time in your life last year? I mean, I don't know what you can say. You can't say anything." [...]

"I think they ought to be just honest about it and stop the nonsense about, 'I look out my window and I see Russia and so therefore I know something about Russia,'" he said. "That kind of thing is insulting to the American people."

He went on to veer completely off-message (although Hagel, to his credit, was never one just to spout whatever message was being advanced from on high.) But still, check it out:

"But I do think in a world that is so complicated, so interconnected and so combustible, you really got to have some people in charge that have some sense of the bigger scope of the world," Hagel said. "I think that's just a requirement."

So is Palin qualified to be president?

"I think it's a stretch to, in any way, to say that she's got the experience to be president of the United States," Hagel said.

If Hagel was thinking about endorsing Barack Obama for president before McCain picked Palin, it would seem from these remarks that he may be even more likely to do so now. That would just be a huge get for Barack. I'm sure there's immense pressure on his from both sides. Come on Chuck. You know you want to.

Tags: Chuck Hagel, Sarah Palin (all tags)

Comments

Re: Chuck Hagel: Reality-Based Republican

What good would this do Obama?  Yeah, Versailles would cheer.  But how about outside the DC bubble?  Is this going to win him a lot more votes?  Remember, except for the war, Hagel is even to the right of McCain on most things.

by Calvin Jones and the 13th Apostle 2008-09-18 09:15AM | 0 recs
Exactly

That's the point.  We're not really fighting for liberal votes right now, we're fighting for the center and right to realize that Obama is the best choice for the country regardless of any particular policy differences.

A Hagel endorsement would be a major coup because it would provide cover for other Republicans to make the same jump.

by Dracomicron 2008-09-18 09:22AM | 0 recs
Re: Chuck Hagel: Reality-Based Republican

A well known, well respected Republican endorses Obama over a memeber of his own party? Yeah, that would help.

by ND1979 2008-09-18 09:18AM | 0 recs
Imagine a combat veteran Republican Senator

Saying, "No, Joh, you're not putting country first.  Let me show you how that's done."

by Reaper0Bot0 2008-09-18 09:20AM | 0 recs
Re: Chuck Hagel: Reality-Based Republican

Chuck is a crap spooner.

by sku2 2008-09-18 09:21AM | 0 recs
What does that even mean?

"Crap spooner?"  Really?

by Dracomicron 2008-09-18 09:22AM | 0 recs
Re: What does that even mean?

Poop spatula?  I don't get it either.

by fogiv 2008-09-18 09:44AM | 0 recs
Re: Chuck Hagel: Reality-Based Republican

Hagel won't be endorsing Obama anytime before the election...

by lori 2008-09-18 09:25AM | 0 recs

Why do you think that?

by JDF 2008-09-18 11:16AM | 0 recs
Re: Chuck Hagel: Reality-Based Republican

The truly big "get" is Colin Powell, and I expect that he is going to be Obama's "October Surprise."  An endorsement by Powell in the closing weeks of the campaign will certainly swing Virginia and probably a whole host of marginal states.

Whatever bad we have to say about him, Colin Powell is still incredibly popular.

by Vox Populi 2008-09-18 09:25AM | 0 recs
Re: Chuck Hagel: Reality-Based Republican

I've been thinking this too lately.

by fogiv 2008-09-18 09:45AM | 0 recs
Re: Chuck Hagel: Reality-Based Republican

Hey, that's exactly what I wrote in the "game changers" diary about Hagel's comments. In fact, I even called Powell a "get," also. We must share a brain.

Or are you my doppelganger? Or my other self? Is this a Fight Club/My Own Worst Enemy thing going on here?

by Johnny Gentle Famous Crooner 2008-09-18 09:54AM | 0 recs
Re: Chuck Hagel: Reality-Based Republican

Johnny Gentle Famous Crooner is Henry.  Johnny Gentle Famous Crooner is Edward.  HENRY.  EDWARD.

by thatpurplestuff 2008-09-18 10:37AM | 0 recs
I've heard that rumor

but I always wonder whether it's based on anything other than, "Wow, it would be great for Obama to get Colin Powell's endorsement."

by desmoinesdem 2008-09-18 10:31AM | 0 recs
Re: Chuck Hagel: Reality-Based Republican

The mistake all of us make is thinking the Republican Party is, well, the Republican party. It isn't.  Neocons hijacked the wacko Religious Right and, well, there ya go.

by scytherius 2008-09-18 09:32AM | 0 recs
Re: Chuck Hagel: Reality-Based Republican

A Hagel endorsement would mean that we might get six or seven votes in Nebraska instead of the customary 3.

by eric the red 2008-09-18 09:56AM | 0 recs
field dressing a moose

I'd like to see some video of Sarah Palin field-dressing a moose.

Somehow, I think she's lying.

And I think if she did field dress a moose it would go a long way to showing she's the kind of callously bloodthirsty Republican that gave us the Iraq War.

Maybe it would be good enough to post You Tube of someone else field dressing a moose.

by Carl Nyberg 2008-09-18 11:21AM | 0 recs
Re: Chuck Hagel: Reality-Based Republican

It's not just her modest knowledge of foreign affairs. This campaign tour is as exposed as she's ever been to the rest of America, outside of the Northwest. She's incredibly parochial.

by MollyNYC 2008-09-18 03:38PM | 0 recs