Afternoon Open Thread

• Netroots Nation teamed up with DFA this year to offer scholarships to the upcoming convention in July. If you haven't yet, apply here or donate here to help send even more activists to Austin. (I'm one of the conference organizers)

• If you haven't seen yet, Obama gave Lieberman a stern talking-to on the Senate floor yesterday

• Bush (falsely) says he gave up golf because of the Iraq war. But these guys aren't willing to cut-and-run:

What else is going on?

Tags: Open Thread (all tags)

Comments

Re: John McCain's Many Stances (not a wide stance)

Send this to 10 people - let's get the word out.

by RockvilleLiberal2 2008-06-05 11:10AM | 0 recs
Re: John McCain's Many Stances (not a wide stance)

another goodie

by RockvilleLiberal2 2008-06-05 11:13AM | 0 recs
Re: John McCain's Many Stances (not a wide stance)

Yeah, this is pretty damning.  The part about the tax cuts -- I oppose the tax cuts!  I've always been in favor of tax cuts! -- is especially lovely and Orwellian.

by writerswrite 2008-06-05 11:22AM | 0 recs
Just stopping by

to highly recommend Mary Scott O'Connor's wrenching diary.  Please take the time to read and rec.  Thank you.

by gchaucer2 2008-06-05 11:46AM | 0 recs
Re: Afternoon Open Thread

Take an early look at Oregon with my diary here: http://www.mydd.com/story/2008/6/5/15114 7/1962

by skywaker9 2008-06-05 11:46AM | 0 recs
Re: Afternoon Open Thread

Wingnut radio has been going off the past two days...  Just going full bore on the presumptive nominee... it's going to get ugly...

...for John McCain!!

Little to no mention of Obama... even less of Hillary...

They are pissed, pissed, PISSED at John McCain!!!

They are accusing him of triangulating conservatism in the same way Bill Clinton triangulated us in 1996.

They are not letting up and demanding he tow the party line and stop equivocating!  they haven't made any ultimatums... yet... but, this is going to be a very tough road for McCain, as he balances the tightrope.

In the meantime, hate radio is going after the Republican nominee, not the Democratic one, 24-7

by LordMike 2008-06-05 11:56AM | 0 recs
Re: Afternoon Open Thread

where exactly can one listen to the sounds of love online?

by RockvilleLiberal2 2008-06-05 12:03PM | 0 recs
Re: Afternoon Open Thread

I think they all have online streaming links.. Limbaugh certainly does...  he also posts complete transcripts of his shows if you can't stand hearing the blowhard speak.

by LordMike 2008-06-05 12:17PM | 0 recs
Re: Afternoon Open Thread

meh, doesn't bother me.  Since I have undertaken a one-man assault on the various blogs of the far right, I like hearing their strategies.  They also help me come up with new usernames when I get bounced for inciting online riots.

by RockvilleLiberal2 2008-06-05 12:30PM | 0 recs
Hey Josh...

Are you the only one here manning the fort today?  Seems like since the nomination went final, Jerome left the country and all the other front pagers are hiding in their basements.  :^)

by SpanishFly 2008-06-05 12:55PM | 0 recs
Regarding golf

Doesn't look like McCain has given up golf because of the war:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/19 8945.php

by Ott 2008-06-05 01:06PM | 0 recs
Re: Regarding golf

Just logged in to make that same note.  Hysterical.

Golf Gear you can believe in.... wonder if he's gifted W with a set.

by its simple IF you ignore the complexity 2008-06-05 02:48PM | 0 recs
Netroots Nation: support applications

I applied for the scholarship after pre-registering for Netroots Nation last year, due to unexpected circumstances which make paying for a room there a problem now.  I've been blogging on MyDD, Daily Kos, and Blue Mass Group for years under the name "Cos".

In addition to applying or donating, there's one more thing you can do: Browse the applicants and register your support for some of them (us).  The applicant with the largest number of supporters will automatically get one of the scholarships, and I think supporters will be considered by DfA in picking the rest.

You need an account on the DFA website (sign up here or log in), and when you're looking at someone's application, you can click "Add Your Support" in the "Grassroots Supporters" section of the application (on the right side).

P.S. DFA asks applicants to link to three of their best blog posts; one of the three I put on my application is from here: http://www.mydd.com/story/2006/4/28/1514 47/018

by cos 2008-06-05 01:10PM | 0 recs
Re: Afternoon Open Thread

Barr pacmanning McWars?...
(link provided by our friends at Americablog)

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008 /jun/04/barr-chiseling-mccain-voter-base /

by nogo postal 2008-06-05 01:16PM | 0 recs
Accidentally saw Hardball

Chris puke Matthews just HAD to talk bad about Al Gore.  If I ever get the chance, I'll throw a tomato at that snotty, WHINEY mouth, HAH! blathering idiot!

He is disgusting.  He is no journalist, not in any form.

If you don't agree, just think back and ask yourself this:

Where was Chris Matthews on the push for the Iraq War and the Valerie Plame case?  Where was the Washington Post type journalism?

Hint ...... NO WHERE ON THE MSM.  And Chris Matthews is chief among those who have no courage to speak up - right alongside Scotty McClellan.

Did I mention that Chris Matthews makes me gag?

by Southern Mouth 2008-06-05 01:39PM | 0 recs