Lanny Davis to MyDD: Obama Won, But Clinton Is Holding Her Delegates Anyway

As the press broke down gear and supporters streamed out of the gym after Hillary's speech, I spoke to Clinton supporter Lanny Davis about his view of tonight's results:

JO: Do you consider the nomination settled?

LD: Well, the majority rules, and he's got a majority that amounts to his victory. But she said tonight she's not making a decision about releasing her delegates, and that's a significant statement. I know that she's concerned about issues in the platform such as health care, and I know she's concerned about our process - how we nominate candidates in the future.  So holding onto her delegates is really the headline of the night.

This is about as clear an analysis from the Clinton side as I've heard. Hillary's campaign knows Obama's won - but they're holding their leverage for something.

In her speech, Clinton herself addressed the question of "what does Hillary want?" by talking about ending the war in Iraq, turning the economy around, and other such broadly noble goals.

But she can't actually exchange her delegates for those things.

So cynically, I think she likely wants something more concrete for herself from the Obama campaign before she concedes.

We'll see what happens in the next two days. I doubt party leaders will show much patience for this delay.

Tags: Hillary Clinton, Lanny Davis (all tags)

Comments

(Comment Deleted)

This comment has been deleted by an administrator.

by doyenne49 2008-06-03 07:43PM | 0 recs

You are too funny!

by politicsmatters 2008-06-03 07:43PM | 0 recs
Sounds like somebody

needs to find a new sight to hang out in and be negative.  There's plenty of Obama bashing sites for you -- and I am sure you are a frequent visitor.

by gchaucer2 2008-06-03 07:46PM | 0 recs
(Comment Deleted)

This comment has been deleted by an administrator.

by Firewall 2008-06-03 07:44PM | 0 recs
(Comment Deleted)

This comment has been deleted by an administrator.

by doyenne49 2008-06-03 07:46PM | 0 recs
Re: It's time to drop the hammer on her.

Democrats get behind the Democratic nominee.

She hasn't even acknowledged that to be Obama.

Do you think this helps us win in November?

by Firewall 2008-06-03 07:47PM | 0 recs
I'll be curious to see

if your comment is deleted as well.  The other one should have been deleted.

by gchaucer2 2008-06-03 07:48PM | 0 recs
Wow,

I'm doing a happy dance now.

by gchaucer2 2008-06-03 07:48PM | 0 recs
Yeah, I got a little too peeved there.

But this can't go on until August. If she keeps telling her supporters the nom was stolen from her, it's going to be that much harder for us to defeat McCrazy in November.

by Firewall 2008-06-03 07:50PM | 0 recs
Hope she's not holding out for VP

Ed Rendell just said Obama can win without her in that slot and he doesn't think she's a good choice.  Now, if your loyal backers are thinking that ---.

by gchaucer2 2008-06-03 07:45PM | 0 recs
Re: Hope she's not holding out for VP

I think you misunderstood. Actually Rendell just said on MSNBC that Obama could win PA without Hillary on the ticket, but it would be much easier with her. And that he would strongly recommend her for the VP slot.

by ryeland 2008-06-03 07:48PM | 0 recs
Thanks for the correction

I thought I had heard him say that he didn't like the idea of her on the ticket.  I know he said he thought it might be easier, but he seemed confident that Obama could win without her.

I'll have to listen to that again when I'm not so loopy.  Thanks again.

by gchaucer2 2008-06-03 07:50PM | 0 recs
Re: Thanks for the correction

No, he definitely said he can with without Hillary, but that she would help him win, particularly in places like Pennsylvania.

Honestly, just a fantastic appearance by Rendell.  I found myself nodding to a lot of stuff he said, especially when he started talking about how economics is the key, that even Jesse Jackson was winning white factory workers when he emphasized populist issues.

by bosdcla14 2008-06-03 08:11PM | 0 recs
Re: Hope she's not holding out for VP

That VP slot is difficult. Look at her speech. What word is missing?

"Nominee".

If she couldn't congratulate Obama on his night, the night he won, I find it really difficult to think she could ever swing into the number two role.

by TCQuad 2008-06-03 07:55PM | 0 recs
Re: Hope she's not holding out for VP

The President needs loyalty from his VP.  Clinton is not showing loyalty to the party.  No way Obama can trust her to have his back when there's the inevitable controversy.

by soccerandpolitics 2008-06-03 08:20PM | 0 recs
Hey, I won $50,-

My Clinton-supporting gay friend bet HRC would graciously concede.

Whoops!

Candy from a baby...

by TrueBlueCT 2008-06-03 07:45PM | 0 recs
Re: Hey, I won $50,-

OOOh, you have a GAY friend! You are SOOOO progressive!

by doyenne49 2008-06-03 07:47PM | 0 recs
Re: Hey, I won $50,-

Okay, who brought the dog?

by Shaun Appleby 2008-06-03 07:59PM | 0 recs
you are inappropriate nt

by hope monger 2008-06-03 10:14PM | 0 recs
Re: Hey, I won $50,-

Don't go off assuming ALL gay people are as gullible as your HRC supporting "gay" friend.  I was hoping she would concede but my $50 would have been with you.

Can I call you my online "straight" friend?

One more dig just for fun:  Is your "gay" friend anything like Steven Colbert's one "black" friend?   He makes me laugh.

by Rick in Eugene 2008-06-03 09:40PM | 0 recs
Lanny Davis?

Did he gesticulate wildly and act the fool?

I've had a grudge against Lanny since Lieberman-Lamont, and this Presidential cycle has done NOTHING to make me like him more.

by zonk 2008-06-03 07:46PM | 0 recs
Re: Lanny Davis?

Thank you for pointing out the Lieberman thing.  Every time I saw him, it was all I could think of.  I could never understand how he was a surrogate for Clinton, why she would choose him of all the people she could pick.

by bosdcla14 2008-06-03 08:15PM | 0 recs
gesticulate?

Ewwww....is it even legal to do that in public? ;)

by DawnG 2008-06-03 08:24PM | 0 recs
Re: Lanny Davis to MyDD: Obama Won, But Clinton Is

Hillary and Bill are looking for positions for themselves.  The vp is probably out of reach especially after her performance tonight. When has a nominee clinched and had other candidates make their arguments for themselves?  I'm sure that Obama is smart enough to know that it wouldn't be smart to have those folks around who desire the spotlight so much.

I hope Obama can engage Clinton on the issues and can promise a position related to something like health care. Hopefully she'd do better on that issue this time around with a President Obama running the political game.

by politicsmatters 2008-06-03 07:46PM | 0 recs
give them anything they want

except VP

by ab03 2008-06-03 08:01PM | 0 recs
Re: Lanny Davis to MyDD: Obama Won, But Clinton Is

Re: Party leaders' patience -- No, they won't have many. Expect remaining House members and Senators to endorse Obama tomorrow. I'm still hoping for a big scene on the Capitol steps with a mass endorsement.

As for myself, I'm going to give feedback to the Clinton campaign tomorrow by calling their national headquarters and letting them know, as politely as possible, that's time for her to endorse Obama.

by politicsmatters 2008-06-03 07:48PM | 0 recs
Re: Lanny Davis to MyDD: Obama Won, But Clinton Is

Given the nature of the possessiveness she seems to have of her 'eighteen million votes' it sounds a bit like she wants them in the streets.  Maybe she took her own Zimbabwe analogy a bit too seriously.  She sounds like a third-party minority candidate trying to form a coalition government in a Westminster parliamentary nation, at best.

by Shaun Appleby 2008-06-03 08:03PM | 0 recs
Atta Girl!!!!

I'm glad she didn't concede tonight.... I hope she stays in till the convention but not for the reasons you think I have.

In a not too distant future, the republicans are going to take out their big guns on Obama. We know nothing about him, so I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to the rumors. Isn't it better to have Hillary in the wings in case he implodes instead of staying with a candidate who will lose us the elections once again?

If she wins the nomination in Denver, then I'll come out and vote for her otherwise will either vote Nader, if he's on the ballot, stay home or give a long look at what McCain promised regarding health insurance! Whomever gives me the most relief with my health insurance coverage will get my vote! Obama wants my vote but doesn't want me in his new shinning party!

by suzieg 2008-06-03 08:15PM | 0 recs
Re: Atta Girl!!!!

Clinton and her oppo research teams have had more than a year to get any dirt on Obama that is out there.  Her campaign adopted the "kitchen sink" strategy (their term, not mine) against him, throwing whatever dirt and innuendo they had.  Obama is thoroughly vetted.  I thank Clinton for that.

by soccerandpolitics 2008-06-03 08:24PM | 0 recs
Re: Atta Girl!!!!

"Clinton and her oppo research teams have had more than a year to get any dirt on Obama that is out there. "

And she didn't use any of it, you fools. It's still out there waiting to explode.

by 07rescue 2008-06-03 10:43PM | 0 recs
Are you serious?

Do you truly believe the Clintonistas wouldn't throow whatever mud they thought could stick in order to win AT ANY COST?  That was the plan.  It almost worked, too.

That koolaid musta been real potent.

by JulieinVT 2008-06-04 07:04AM | 0 recs
Party Leaders should shut their yaps.

They are the architects of this God awful process...

Hillary represents the votes of perhaps more than 50% of those participating in this years nomination process...

There is no earthly reason she should not continue to speak on their behalf and make sure their concerns are addressed by the party...she is well within her rights to do so...in fact it is her duty to do so...and people should stop trying to shut her up...

Rather than continue to whine and carp that she hasn't conceded, perhaps these so called leaders might think about making the nomination process more equitable, or figure out why Obama did so poorly among many constituencies necessary to a win in November...

Hillary refusing to concede is not the problem...

by SaveElmer 2008-06-03 07:51PM | 0 recs
there are many problems

and they will most certainly get addressed.  But the most pressing problem RIGHT NOW, BY FAR is Hillary not conceding.

Probably the biggest obstacle between Obama and the presidency the longer this thing goes.

by ab03 2008-06-03 08:03PM | 0 recs
Re: there are many problems

Ridiculous...absolutely ridiculous...

Obama has the majority, he will be the nominee...

Hillary will press her agenda until she is assured, as she says, that those who supported her are respected and that she can be sure their concerns are addressed...

Absolutely nothing wrong with that...

I realize Obama kind of limped to the finish line, but do you believe his prospects are so tenous that he can't stand a delay of a week or two...?

by SaveElmer 2008-06-03 08:10PM | 0 recs
week or two

we've been hearing that for the last month.  and we'll be hearing about it in august.

and why the hell should we take that chance?

what concerns does she need to address?  all I see is her causing him headaches by forcing him to pick a VP choice before he has to.  if it was really about issues, I wouldn't care.  I mean, I don't see why he has to concede anything on any issue since he won the nomination and I don't see what she has to say that he hasn't heard from her before, but whatever.

this is not about issues.  this is about the VP choice and what power she'll have in a Dem cabinet.  And it's about forcing him to deal with this situation well before he has to, unless he wants to hear press clips about "illegitimate nominee" or "popular vote" every day.

headaches certainly don't help

by ab03 2008-06-03 08:19PM | 0 recs
Re: week or two

I don't believe all these Obama supporters care about the country, or the 50% plus of Democrats who voted for Hillary Clinton because she reflects our values and addresses our concerns. She WON THE POPULAR VOTE, and that gives us all the time we want.

All you care about is your guy winning, it's power, pure and simple. All the cynical and mercenary attributions you project onto Clinton reflect your own agendas and manipulativeness. The bullying, thuglike tactics aren't working, and in fact are backfiring, they are exactly what is inspiring the defiance and anger and rejection you see from Clinton and her loyal supporters. We can hold those delegates until Denver. Sweat it out as long as you like. Spin, squeal, and bluster all you like

That ugly tactic of stealing 4 lousy delegates from Clinton's Michigan winnings has probably done more to harden our defiance into steel, and drive this thing all the way to Denver. Spit in our faces again and it is guaranteed. The more you threaten, insult, and try to intimidate, the fiercer our resolve becomes.

Oh, and save the pretty speeches, we go by people's actions, not their words, the fake Hollywood air kiss doesn't fly here.

by 07rescue 2008-06-03 11:11PM | 0 recs
Yawn

Are you done yet?

by JulieinVT 2008-06-04 07:05AM | 0 recs
I represent perhaps more than 638% of participants

Actually, her not conceding is the problem. Sorry to hear that you fell off this tiny solar satellite we've been hanging out on nowdays.

by notxjack 2008-06-03 08:03PM | 0 recs
Re: Party Leaders should shut their yaps.

Hillary should certainly continue to speak for her supporters, but WHAT DO THEY WANT?  Aside from a President Hillary rather than a President Barack, I mean.  Anybody is entitled to want anything, of course, but I would feel better if I knew what Hillary's supporters want that they don't believe Barack will deliver.

The main thing that comes to my mind is a personal mandate on health care.  I happen to think that Hillary is right on that one:  "universal health care" is the flip side of the "universal health insurance" coin.  But is that what it really boils down to?

-- TP

by Rethymniotis 2008-06-03 08:10PM | 0 recs
MANDATED HEALTH INSURANCE!!!!!

by suzieg 2008-06-03 08:18PM | 0 recs
what HRC's supporters don't understand

Obama isn't cowtowing to health insurance lobbies - he REALLY believes that his plan is the best way to get universal health care.  Why should he cave on that issue if he believes he is right (and his team believes he is right) and he is the nominee?  Especially when the reason he has his policy is because he's worried about passing it?

I don't want him to change his policy.

by ab03 2008-06-03 08:21PM | 0 recs
Re: what HRC's supporters don't understand

He'll look terribly weak if he changes policies because of pressure from Clinton.  Besides, his policy plays better electorally speaking.  He definitely won't change policies publicly.

by soccerandpolitics 2008-06-03 08:27PM | 0 recs
so for political expediency, you agree that he

should continue his modus operandi regarding playing with people lives (cowardly voting "present" on abortion legislation without an exception for the life or health of women) regardless of the fact that people will continue to suffer and die for lack of health insurance. How very noble of you to recommend this campaign strategy - shouldn't be too hard for him to follow, he's had lots of practice!

by suzieg 2008-06-03 10:09PM | 0 recs
Speaking of past votes ...

Voting "present" on abortion legislation as a parliamentary maneuver is one thing.  Voting "aye" to authorize Dick and Dubya's Excellent Adventure in Iraq is another thing.  We can argue which was a worse thing, if you like.

But it might be more productive to argue about health insurance.  Specifically, which is more important to you:  the insurance or the mandate?  That is, will you be happy if everybody who wants health insurance is guaranteed an affordable policy?  If Obama can make that happen, will you still insist on a mandate?

-- TP

by Rethymniotis 2008-06-03 10:41PM | 0 recs
Re: Speaking of past votes ...

Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer...

by sneakers563 2008-06-03 11:32PM | 0 recs
Well said, bravo!

by suzieg 2008-06-03 08:16PM | 0 recs
Re: Lanny Davis to MyDD

Ooh, party leaders. They don't even scare George W. Bush. How are they going to scare Hillary Clinton?

by OrangeFur 2008-06-03 07:51PM | 0 recs
Well, ...yeah.

I guess they can pile on Obama endorsements, but presumably they'll do that anyway. Huh. What could they possibly do to influence her?

by kydoc2 2008-06-03 07:59PM | 0 recs
by not supporting her VP choice

by ab03 2008-06-03 08:03PM | 0 recs
Re: Lanny Davis to MyDD: Obama Won, But Clinton Is

I doubt party leaders will show much patience for this delay.

Amen.  Kiss the 'dream ticket' good bye.

by Shaun Appleby 2008-06-03 07:53PM | 0 recs
Re: Lanny Davis to MyDD: Obama

I think its fine for her not to release them right now. aren't they still free to vote how ever they want at the convention? I mean even if they do release them, they exercise independent judgement to vote however they choose?

some one help me out here.

[my dad is still 'representing' her this friday]

by alyssa chaos 2008-06-03 07:54PM | 0 recs
Re: Lanny Davis to MyDD: Obama
Whether she releases them or not seems immaterial as they are perfectly able to release themselves...
by french imp 2008-06-03 10:11PM | 0 recs
Re: Lanny Davis to MyDD: Obama

so its symbolic in a sense. no?

by alyssa chaos 2008-06-03 10:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Lanny Davis to MyDD: Obama
I will be better for her if she releases them before they release themselves... Of course you're right, it is indeed of symbolic importance. And symbols are immaterial but matter.
by french imp 2008-06-04 01:30AM | 0 recs
It's all "Me, me, me!" isn't it Hillary?

You gonna be happy if Obama "offers" you the VP spot? Even though the only reason he'd even think about doing it is because you'd threaten and blackmail him? Does that make you feel good that you would NOT be chosen because he (or his supporters) wanted you, and thought you'd be good for the ticket, or a good VP if elected?

by ratmach 2008-06-03 07:55PM | 0 recs
Lol @ the 'Headline of the Night'

The Headline of the Month: Barack Obama will be first non white-male major-party candidate for president.

Crappy editorial written by some Clintonista: this non-story.

by notxjack 2008-06-03 07:55PM | 0 recs
Re: Whaaaa?

DID WHAT?????

I often felt that each of your votes was a prayer for our nation, a declaration of your dreams for your children, a reflection of your desire to chart a new course in this new century and in the end, while this primary was long, I am so proud we stayed the course together because we stood our ground, it meant that every single United States citizen had a chance to make his or her voice heard.

Now, it's clear!

by xdem 2008-06-03 07:56PM | 0 recs
Re: Lanny Davis to MyDD: Obama Won, But Clinton Is

I kinda' find it bizarre.  I mean, even the most argent Clinton supporter here must see that an Obama-Clinton ticket is not the way to go and won't happen.  So what does she want?  Color me confused.

by such sweet thunder 2008-06-03 07:58PM | 0 recs
Maybe choose the VP

OK, I also believe that the actions of Lanny Davis have made offering her the VP slot a non-starter.  But, maybe she wants a big say in his inner committee of who that VP nominee is going to be.  Maybe she wants to be a part of that to ensure that who ever he picks will push on health care.

I don't have issue with her offering input on the choice, but it still has to be his choice.

by monkeyga 2008-06-03 08:08PM | 0 recs
Re: Maybe choose the VP

When I see comments like this I want to scream. :).  Let's be serious.  These people are politicians.  A thirst for power is behind all of these decisions.  Not Clinton in particular, but all politicians.  I don't believe Clinton is holding out for an issue; just like I didn't believe Edwards was holding out for poverty; just like I wouldn't believe Obama if he was holding out for veteran's rights.  Saints don't get into politics.

by such sweet thunder 2008-06-03 08:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Lanny Davis to MyDD: Obama Won, But Clinton Is

kos has a new post up suggesting that what she's holding out for is money.  i'm naturally inclined to disagree with that, as i like to thing as well of people as i possibly can.  BUT, immediately after raising the question of "what does hillary want" in her speech, she suggested that she wanted to "hear from" her supporters at her website.  Well, if you go to her website, you're immediately invited to show your support by sending hillary a message saying how proud you are of her fighting the good fight.  Once you've done that, you end up at....A DONATION PAGE!

by bluedavid 2008-06-03 07:58PM | 0 recs
Re: Lanny Davis to MyDD: Obama Won, But Clinton Is

yup, yup and no donation page or pitch on BHO's site, yup keep on telling yourself that...

by zerosumgame 2008-06-03 08:09PM | 0 recs
Re: Lanny Davis to MyDD: Obama Won, But Clinton Is

hillary doesn't need anyone's money. she can pay off her own debt. i'm sure she and bill look at it as one of their best investments. this couple truly looks loves america and still has endless resources and energy to put towards their goals.

by california voter 2008-06-03 08:14PM | 0 recs
Re: Lanny Davis to MyDD: Obama Won

I'm as vehement an Obama supporter as the next guy, but I can understand why Clinton did what she did tonight.  It was a power play, pure and simple.  She has a movement behind her, and she and her team felt this was the best way for her to utilize that movement.  While I wish she would have conceded, I can't say I would have if I was in her shoes.

There will come a time in the next few days after she meets with Barack where she will show her true colors.  Clinton supporters need to understand that Barack cannot promise her a VP slot now without looking terribly weak.  Clinton needs to be magnanimous and save-face at the same time.  I'm confident she can do it.

Maybe there's a VP slot in the future, maybe not.  But she cannot force the issue now if she wants the Democrats to win in '08.

by gabr1el 2008-06-03 07:59PM | 0 recs
Re: Lanny Davis to MyDD: Obama Won

That's why I was upset that Barack got "bored with the primary".  To defeat the Clintons you must not give them any air whatsoever...  so, now, Barack, you have to deal with her... she's made herself relevant 'cos you let her!

by LordMike 2008-06-03 08:04PM | 0 recs
Re: Lanny Davis to MyDD: Obama Won

Even if he had gone all out campaigning, it would have bought him only a few extra percentage points in defeat in WV, KY, and SD.    At absolute best case scenario, he might have squeaked out a victory in SD, but I really doubt an all out effort would have moved the election 10 points.  Obama did the right thing by pivoting to the general.

by soccerandpolitics 2008-06-03 08:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Lanny Davis to MyDD: Obama Won

He made a conscious decision not to go negative -- really negative -- on Hillary though.  And it looks like that was a bad decision.  He could have sunk her before TX/OH and let her constituency deal with the fact that he won ungracefully over the span of  nine months, instead of winning gracefully over the span of six.  I think the former probably would have been better.

by such sweet thunder 2008-06-03 08:51PM | 0 recs
Nope, that would've destroyed his campaign

which HRC supporters would've loved I'm sure.

Look, he won, he won playing the game His way,

He must've done something right because he won.

by hope monger 2008-06-03 10:22PM | 0 recs
Re: Lanny Davis to MyDD: Obama Won

What worries me is that she might have opened pandora's box.  The trump card she has is that she thinks she can squeeze concessions out of obama by being the only person who can bring her supporters back into the democratic fold.  My worry is that humpty-dumpty might not be so easy to put back together again.

The campaign she decided to run was very divisive and encouraged animosity between the two dem candidates.  For some of the people who ate all that up, it might be very difficult for them to fall in line behind obama, even if hillary tries to wave her magic wand and say "oh, that obama guy i've been bashing for six months...he's actually a great guy.  you all have to vote for him."

she's going to have to eat some serious shit and campaign like crazy once she endorses him to make it seem genuine enough that people believe she's really rooting for him...

by bluedavid 2008-06-03 08:06PM | 0 recs
Re: Lanny Davis to MyDD: Obama Won

Agreed.  The "popular vote", "disenfranchise", "Zimbabwe" garbage was extremely damaging.  It served only to make reconciliation tougher.  I wish they'd stuck with Wright and Ayers.

by sneakers563 2008-06-03 11:39PM | 0 recs
Re: Lanny Davis

The NY Times headline of the night: "OBAMA CLAIMS NOMINATION: Marks End of Epic Battle With Clinton".

by IncognitoErgoSum 2008-06-03 08:00PM | 0 recs
Re: Lanny Davis to MyDD: Obama Won,

Ultimately, I don't see how that affects things going forward one way or the other.

by rfahey22 2008-06-03 08:01PM | 0 recs
Re: Lanny Davis to MyDD: Obama Won, But Clinton Is

You don't get to influence the winners behavior in a belligerent public brawl. You do your arm twisting behind closed doors while making nice in public.

Step one would be to have the grace to congratulate him on his win.

by hankg 2008-06-03 08:01PM | 0 recs
you obviously missed her speech debut where

she congratulated Obama!

by suzieg 2008-06-03 08:23PM | 0 recs
Re: you obviously missed her speech debut where

She did not acknowledge that he won or congratulate him on winning. Then she went on to make the case that she was the stronger candidate as if the primary was still going on and stoke the resentment of her supporters.

She did it on national TV right before Obama was going to give the historic kick off speech of the GE. No defense of the party's nominee from the attacks made by McCain right before her speech.

If she was not ready to concede she could at least not have sabotaged the presumptive nominees first speech of the campaign.

by hankg 2008-06-03 09:47PM | 0 recs
Oh, you mean, like Obama planned Edwards

endorsement on the very same night of her huge West Virginia win? Where was your indignation then?

by suzieg 2008-06-03 10:14PM | 0 recs
Re: Oh, you mean, like Obama planned Edwards

The contest was still going on. So yes it was totally appropriate for 2 competitors to be competing for the news cycle. Sabotaging the party's nominee after the contest has been won is quite different.

by hankg 2008-06-03 10:23PM | 0 recs
oh please, how about Obama's 11 state winning

streak in February that she Never mentioned?!

by hope monger 2008-06-03 10:23PM | 0 recs
Re: oh please, how about Obama's 11 state winning

I don't hold that against her. She was trying to survive and the race was still on going. But bigfooting the presumptive nominees GE kick off speech without so much as a word in his defense from the McCain attacks was reprehensible.

by hankg 2008-06-03 10:31PM | 0 recs
Re: you obviously missed her speech debut where
She sounded like he had lost and she had won.
by french imp 2008-06-03 10:14PM | 0 recs
Re: you obviously missed her speech debut where

I'm surprised she didn't offer Obama the VP slot :)

by hankg 2008-06-03 10:34PM | 0 recs
Re: Lanny Davis to MyDD: Obama Won, But Clinton Is

There's talk about Bill Clinton becoming campaign manager (big mistake!) and her getting a cabinet post (good idea).

by LordMike 2008-06-03 08:02PM | 0 recs
why the hell

would you make Bill campaign manager.  That's the dumbest thing I ever heard and I really wouldn't trust him anymore to be President.  Bill has made more campaign mistakes this cycle than possibly anybody else in the history of primary campaigns (given that most people are one and done when it comes to campaign mistakes).

I'd still vote for obama but I'd be scared.

by ab03 2008-06-03 08:07PM | 0 recs
two term democratic president is a dumb move to

put in charge of her campaign?

by suzieg 2008-06-03 08:25PM | 0 recs
Re: two term democratic president is a dumb move t

A.  He's not the same guy he was

B.  The country is not the same

C.  His loyalties are with her, not him... can he be trusted to deliver for him?

by LordMike 2008-06-03 08:35PM | 0 recs
Gotta say...

I love Bill, but his message discipline hasn't been very good the last couple of months.

by HRC 2009 2008-06-03 08:50PM | 0 recs
lol, I don't know where you're hearing that talk

but BC as campaign manager is really funny

oh oh, let me guess, Mark Penn is probably going to be his pollster too huh?

by hope monger 2008-06-03 10:24PM | 0 recs
Everyone holds their delegates

I always thought that was the way it worked.  The losing candidates always seemed to get their own night at the convention so they can make a speech to their supporters.

As long as one person has the majority, it doesnt make a different what else is out there.

by monkeyga 2008-06-03 08:04PM | 0 recs
Re: Everyone holds their delegates

It is the way it works.  I just get the feeling that many here have never watched a convention, or paid attention to the workings of a nomination process before.

by Scotch 2008-06-03 08:19PM | 0 recs
They were not born or too young to have

witnessed any of the exciting old conventions, from both parties, where the fight was taken to the floor or felt the anticipation of the vote results

The recent past conventions were a bore and merely a coronation which no one watched except for the nominee's speech because we knew how it would end. Doesn't anyone remember, I think it was Don Rather, who just packed his stuff and left in the middle of a convention saying that there was no news to be reported?

I remember my neighbor in San Francisco screaming to me across our connecting back stairs to watch Mario Cuomo's speech because I'd stop watching and would have missed it. Give me the old fashion conventions of the 60's and early 70's - now that was excitement and fun to watch!

by suzieg 2008-06-03 08:52PM | 0 recs
Re: They were not born or too young to have

Mario Cuomo's speech was the most exhilerating speech I ever heard and that is true to this day.

by Scotch 2008-06-04 02:00PM | 0 recs
UHC

She can use her delegates to put UHC at the top of Obama's agenda. His speech tonight suggested that it is working.

by souvarine 2008-06-03 08:04PM | 0 recs
Re: UHC

[reposted from another thread] Taking Hillary Clinton at her word that this is really about us and not her. One of the issues that she has been most passionate about and fought hardest for is healthcare. What if Obama agreed to champion her healthcare coverage plan? What if he offered her the the cabinet post of Health and Human Services? Healthcare could be hers; it could be her big legacy. I'm much more comfortable with this than VP and I think she would have much more impact under this scenario than as VP. Interested in what Hillary Clinton and Obama supporters think.

by batgirl71 2008-06-03 08:09PM | 0 recs
Saying that he's against mandated health

insurance went against the wishes of the general public, both reps or dems. The doctors are on board this time around because they are just as frustrated with the health insurance industry as is the population.

I've heard him in Houston and over and over again in interviews that he's not for mandated health insurance, therefore allowing the healthy to opt out and wouldn't "think about it until his second term and only after he sees if it worked for kids"

Waiting 4 years for him to make up his mind isn't acceptable for the majority of adults and for the close to 50 million people without insurance. He cannot afford to lose those 50 million people who, like me, will consider giving a hard look to McCain who is offering $5,000 compared to his paltry $2,500 and only if you jump through hoops or qualify. This is not acceptable for a democratic candidate!

I am not fooled by his sudden conversion - I don't believe him - he changes his tune as the wind blows. calling his plan universal health care is offensive to all of us who knows he will leave over 15 million out!

by suzieg 2008-06-03 09:05PM | 0 recs
but some like me can't afford a mandate

so what about me?
by hope monger 2008-06-03 10:27PM | 0 recs
Re: but some like me can't afford a mandate
What you REALLY can't afford is becoming too sick to work. That risk is higher without healthcare. Emergency rooms are for emergencies, not prevention, so relying on them is gambling with your health.
But the good news is that both candidates have policies in their programs to make healthcare affordable, even for those in dire financial circumstances.
by Gray 2008-06-04 05:04AM | 0 recs
Its a Big Tent

Nothing will stop Hillary from championing her causes and she now has a much bigger stage to do it from than she did before.

She will do the right thing by dems because she will know her legacy and Bills are on the line.  They, like Obama, are politicians and they arent stupid.

Bill will be given the role of acting the elder statesman on the big stage one last time - a torch passing event if you will - at the convention.  Then he will go back to his perfect role as roving ambassador.  He will have to accept, though, that his life as an active politician in the executive arena is over.

Hillary will get primtime at the convention as well.  Not that she wouldnt in any case.

As for a position for Hillary in Obama's administration or cabinet?  I just dont see it.  Not from any issue with Hillary, but it would seem to gimicky, like a token bone being tossed her way and/or a step down from where she is.

Plus I dont like losing 2 senators (not that I fear dems wouldnt win the open seats).  I think Hillary is best served in the senate and she can become the next Ted Kennedy - the lioness of the senate.

And then, obviously, give her the leading role in pushing through healthcare.  Plus as the de-facto lioness in the senate she could be a barb in Obama's side when need be.  She would have some equal footing and they can push each other around a bit (which I think is good - weve seen what happens when the senate and the house are too compliant with a president).

She gets that and she should be more than proud.  I mean what a legacy for Bill and Hillary.  Two term ex president who served over a time of peace and prosperity and an honored sentaor who will pass the next great rights issue, health rights, in the senate.

I think this is what will happen.

by pattonbt 2008-06-03 08:05PM | 0 recs
Re: Its a Big Tent

keep your fingers crossed...

by bluedavid 2008-06-03 08:08PM | 0 recs
Would NY be that safe

After the whole Eliot Spitzer fiasco, would NY really be that safe?  Are there any known GOP candidates who could run on a campaign that was basically fought on local issues?

I mean, remember back in 1990 when Christie Todd Whitman almost beat Sen. Bradley because people were pissed at Gov. Florio.

Has Gov. Patterson helped people move on from Spitzer?

by monkeyga 2008-06-03 08:17PM | 0 recs
Re: Its a Big Tent

Who fathoms the eternal sea, who talks of scheme and plan?

I love the way all these people want to decide what's best for Hillary. LOL.

by superetendar 2008-06-03 08:22PM | 0 recs
Ted Kennedy will never relegate his position to

her. We all heard his assessment and assassination of her character awhen asked about the possibility of her being chosen for VP!

That's the problem and probably why she is snubbing the party and good for her! It's a disgrace how the party kept silent during all the personal and sexist attacks that Dean finally addressed and condemned this week but he shouldn't have waited until the end of the primaries - it's too late. I hope she does what is good for herself and f#$% the party, has they did her!

by suzieg 2008-06-03 09:13PM | 0 recs
I'm a woman and I just don't see it

sorry, I have sympathy, I feel your pain, if I was aware really of what you're talking about I'm sure I'd be pissed too, but I just don't get it

by hope monger 2008-06-03 10:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Lanny Davis to MyDD: Obama Won, But Clinton Is

How can she hold on to her delegates when they are free to vote as they want?

by scytherius 2008-06-03 08:11PM | 0 recs
Duh. She wants to be VP.

She stood a much better shot of getting that had she been magnanimous and not self-centered tonight.

by Hesiod Theogeny 2008-06-03 08:12PM | 0 recs
Re: Lanny Davis to MyDD: Obama Won, But Clinton Is

not conceding.  She has lost me, my vote, my good will.  I can't believe she did such a poor speech tonight.

If she doesn't wake up, recognize the facts, smell the coffee and concede and then congratulate Obama and offer up her supporters to help him, the Dem party will lose me as a member.  I'll join those on an online petition and switch from Dem to independent.  I will still vote for Obama and support him with my few dollars and time, but as an independent.

Way to go Hillary.  Watch the Dem party list shrink and independent rolls go up.  Is this the legacy she wants to leave behind"

Hmmm.  She is class-less.

by citizensane 2008-06-03 08:13PM | 0 recs
The party deserves everything it gets.

Last Saturday was a disgraceful display for everyone in the country to see, of an unfair closed door brokered compromise resulting in disenfranchising voters for blatant favorism of one candidate, by overtly stealing her earned delegates to give to the party annointed one who had chosen to remove his name from the ballot.

By their reasoning, Clinton should win the electoral college for not being on the ballot!

He's going into the general election perceived as the illegitimate candidate - the whole country saw it - how is that going to help him?

by suzieg 2008-06-03 09:28PM | 0 recs
Nope, nobody perceives this but a few

gullible souls and the people who are hired to disseminate this meme

so, which are you?

by hope monger 2008-06-03 10:35PM | 0 recs
But Clinton Is Holding Her Delegates

I recall many conventions where candidates have used their delegates to have leverage on the party platform.  Just because every move in this election is being viewed under a microscope, doesn't mean it never happened before.  Everyone is losing their minds tonight with conspiracy theories and trying to predict the future.  Just let chips fall.  It is only June 3st, and we don't know what will happen on June 4th.  No one does.

by Scotch 2008-06-03 08:14PM | 0 recs
but

she hasn't conceded yet.  all candidates hold on to their delegates but they concede

by ab03 2008-06-03 08:23PM | 0 recs
(Comment deleted)

There was never any comment here. Rumors to the contrary are treasonous.

by really not a troll 2008-06-03 08:14PM | 0 recs
So holding onto...delegates is....headline tonight

Wrong Lanny, the headline tonight is that Barack Obama just won the Democratic Primary.

Get a clue.

by ericvsthem 2008-06-03 08:26PM | 0 recs
Re: Lanny Davis to MyDD: Obama Won, But Clinton Is

its all about her.....on a night when history was made, she tried to make it all about her.

by joe in oklahoma 2008-06-03 08:49PM | 0 recs
Why is it that the female candidate who received

the highest popular vote count is not historic also? Now you know why Obama has trouble with women!

Her campaign is just as historic as Obama's and don't forget it - it's offensive to diminish her accomplishment in favor of your candidate!!

by suzieg 2008-06-03 09:32PM | 0 recs
second place

Obama won the popular vote.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/ 2008/president/democratic_vote_count.htm l

Yes Clinton's run was historic but tonight Obama won the nomination. The person who comes in second congratulates the winner and has the good grace to not try and piss on the winners victory speech.

Showing some grace and supporting the party's nominee once they have won does not take anything away from Hillary's accomplishments.

by hankg 2008-06-03 09:57PM | 0 recs
He has not officially won the nomination until the

comvention in Denver! Delegates can change their minds as they have done all along this primary!

by suzieg 2008-06-03 10:24PM | 0 recs
He is the presumptive nominee

If she does that the SD's will certainly change their minds. By next week all her SD's will have switched to Obama.

In the media and the party she will be dismissed as a narcissistic sore loser. Her public support will collapse and she will arrive at the convention with a few zealous dead enders. Whether or not she manages by doing that to screw the party's chances in November her political career will come to an ignominious end.

by hankg 2008-06-04 03:39AM | 0 recs
wait, she only has the pop. vote if we've decided

to disenfranchise those caucus states

maybe I missed that, did the party decide that the people who voted in the caucus states should be disenfranchised?

by hope monger 2008-06-03 10:38PM | 0 recs
She has to work out a deal for the AA

SD's who supported her.  At least that's what I heard.  She wants to be sure they are treated well and not harmed for their support of her.

As for trying to blackmail Obama into giving her the VP slot by refusing to concede?  That would not be a good idea.

by GFORD 2008-06-03 09:09PM | 0 recs
I don't believe that rumor at all - it was a ploy

to suppress the voting in South Dakota - What does it say about your nominee, even though every news station in the country has been telling the voters that Obama had won, that she pulled another 14 point victory? and in Daschle's state, Obama's principal advisor of all people and who campaigned relentlessly for him in the state?

He's definitely not a shoo-in for November.... I'm glad she's contemplating staying in till Denver - we need her to step in when Obama implodes - too many rumors around to not take some seriously! Just saw a picture of Michele with Farrakhan today - good luck with the Jewish voters!

Let's see - he's having trouble with the blue collar white men, definitely huge problem with women, jewish people, hispanics, elderly = win for you?

by suzieg 2008-06-03 09:41PM | 0 recs
Re: Lanny Davis to MyDD:

Lanny Davis has proven himself an ass today.

tsk tsk

by alyssa chaos 2008-06-03 09:13PM | 0 recs
Re: Lanny Davis to MyDD: Obama Won, But Clinton Is
They still think they can win this.  They just need someone to paint him with radioactive slop so they can step in and save the party.
  They 'll do what they can but thats the plan, chip at SDs and pray for a neutron bomb.
by moondancer 2008-06-03 09:24PM | 0 recs

by moondancer 2008-06-03 09:26PM | 0 recs
Why is it cynical

for a woman to use power for her own benefit?

What did Edwards want for his paltry few delegates?  He hung on to them for a long time. I don't remember an urgent clamor for him to fork them over, nor complaint the he would bargain for the best deal for himself.  On the contrary, it was expected and applauded that he should play his chips to his best advantage.

As so often in this campaign, I find myself asking:  Why is Hillary treated differently?

***A

by adrienne4dean 2008-06-03 11:43PM | 0 recs
Re: Why is it cynical

That's a good point, but I don't think this is about gender.
John Edwards dropped out 4 months ago and had - what - 18 delegates. Yes, his endorsement was heavily courted but as time passed I think his endorsement became somewhat irrelevant as his supporters had moved on.
What makes what Hillary is going to do so big is because she has almost half of the total votes and a very loyal base of support. We are only 5 months away from the general election and most people would agree that every day that goes on from now on with McCain continuing to get a free pass while the media fixates on the Democratic race is bad for Democrats, period. If the roles were reversed, Obama would be under the same pressure to get behind Hillary and to not mess this up for the party. Again, this is not about gender...just about the situation that we find ourselves.
by GrahamCracker 2008-06-04 12:19AM | 0 recs