The Tie Has Been Broken

Yep, I'm still up. Sorry it's taken me so long to weigh in with a sort of post-mortem on tonight, this has taken me longer to compose than I had expected and I now realize I should have put an overnight thread up. I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts - Todd

It was really sort of fascinating to switch between networks' primary coverage tonight. MSNBC has very much had an "it's over" vibe while CNN was pushing the idea that Hillary still has a shot. Also, internally within the MSNBC punditocracy it was interesting to see an Olbermann/Maddow divide, which rarely happens, Keith arguing that it's a matter of days until it's over, Rachel arguing that Clinton has for a long time had a "post-rational" claim to the nomination, so why should reality get in her way now?

This is-it-over or isn't-it division echoes the mixed messages we've gotten from Hillary Clinton herself tonight. First there was her speech, which, I have to agree with Timmeh, was at once a rallying cry and a valedictory; in it, Clinton made an awkward and blatant plea for funds, yet the post-primary fund solicitation e-mail her campaign sent out this evening was more "thanks" than "please;" and finally we have the news that Hillary Clinton will hold no public events tomorrow, yet we also get word from Andrea Mitchell that her meeting with superdelegates set for the morning is purely routine and she intends to be back on the campaign trail by Thursday after a fundraiser tomorrow night. What all of this accomplishes, of course, is to keep both options on the table so that they can see how the fundraising goes and how the media spins tonight before deciding whether to stay in or to drop out. There is a third option as well, which I believe was proposed on MSNBC earlier, which would be to do a sort of combination of both, i.e. campaign strongly over the next two weeks but more as an ally of Obama's than as a foe until May 20th when they both will likely once again end up winning a state and use his likely majority of pledged delegate status as the tipping point to bow out gracefully.

The upshot is that there is no way to spin away what happened tonight: Senator Clinton had a really bad night and Senator Obama had a phenomenal one. It's impossible to overstate the significance of what he accomplished, not only considering what he's overcome over the past three weeks but also considering how decisively he denied Clinton what she needed to continue to have a credible path to the nomination. To put it plainly, tonight was her final shot and she needed to win Indiana by 8-10% and to lose NC by 1-3%; in other words she needed to do about 10% better in each state than she did in order to keep Michigan and Florida relevant and the popular vote in play for superdelegates. Unfortunately, she was unable to do either. Zogby was right this time and Survey USA...and I...were wrong.

Which leads me to the conclusion, sadly, that I no longer see a real path to victory for Hillary Clinton and I now believe Barack Obama will be the nominee of our party.

Now this isn't in any way to suggest that Senator Clinton should drop out -- you know where I stand on whether this primary has been good or bad for the party -- it's only to say that I now believe that she will. I saw it on Bill Clinton's face as he stood behind Hillary during her speech tonight. I come to this realization with no small amount of disappointment but I'm left hopeful as well. I've seen a new man emerge in Barack Obama over the past few days. His speech denouncing Wright last week impressed me and stayed with me, even moreso than his speech on race in some weird way, because this time it wasn't so much about his words as it was about the emotion seething behind them. "He's alive!", I thought to myself, as I'd felt that Obama had gotten a bit detached and complacent in recent weeks. Then after complaining this weekend that I feared Obama was letting the right define him as unpatriotic without hitting back, I saw his North Carolina Jefferson-Jackson speech in which it became clear to me that he intended to do no such thing. I wondered if it would be the sort of turning point for him that the Iowa Jefferson-Jackson dinner last November represented, thinking privately that it just might be. I now believe that it was. For me personally, what the past few days have shown me is that Barack Obama wants this nomination and the presidency and he is going to fight for it. I wasn't convinced before. I thought I was backing the only real fighter in the race. But I am now.

So what now? My gut is that tomorrow is huddle time and Hillary Clinton's decision to drop out and endorse Barack Obama could come perhaps as early as this week. For one thing, with tonight's result Obama has shown superdelegates that they no longer really have anything to be skittish about with him -- he faced down the biggest crises of his campaign and went up against a stronger than ever Hillary Clinton and he came out the victor. As it turns out, Indiana wasn't the tie-breaker as Obama famously predicted, rather this whole night was, as it provided one contest on his turf and one on hers. And while, yes, technically Hillary Clinton won Indiana, this time one win wasn't a win and we all know it; no measure of campaign spinning can change that.

As all of this sinks in among superdelegates and voters alike and as a consensus solidifies that the race is essentially over, I suspect that Hillary Clinton knows that if she were to campaign as though she thought she did still have a path to the nomination it would look more foolish and sad than anything else. Hence my gut instinct that we may have a concession this week. At the same time, though, it would be a shame to deny West Virginia, Kentucky, Oregon et al the excitement of campaign events that virtually every other state in the country has enjoyed. So what I'd personally like to see happen is for Hillary to endorse Barack and then for them boh to embark on a unity tour through the remaining states that have yet to vote AND, even more importantly perhaps, to Michigan and Florida. Their campaigning together would accomplish several things at once. It would prove to skeptics that both candidates are devoted to unifying the party against John McCain, it would hopefully serve to melt much of the anti-Barack sentiment among many of Hillary's staunchest supporters, it would allow the last few states the opportunity to get to see the candidates in person and to build on the excitement this primary has inspired AND it would allow the candidates to take the old unity ticket idea out for a test drive.

I still think an Obama/Clinton ticket is operative (not to mention best case scenario at this point) and as I wrote earlier, I think she was signaling to the world with her speech tonight that she'd be open to taking the VP slot. It actually makes sense for many reasons as Andrew Sullivan recently laid out in surprisingly compelling terms.

Would it happen in a million years? There are still many that believe not but I'm an optimist at heart. Which is why I also believe that Clinton supporters for the most part will join in embracing Obama as the presumptive nominee once he is so designated. It's a difficult transition to make, I know, but I'm finally at peace with it because for the first time I feel tonight delivered a clear verdict that Democratic primary voters have chosen Obama as their nominee; the tie has been broken. And let's be honest here, you and I know he is a far stronger candidate for having had Hillary Clinton as his opponent. And just as hopefully our ultimate Democratic ticket is stronger for having gone through this crazy extended primary season, hopefully the blogosphere can emerge stronger as well for having weathered our own internal battle.

Now, does this mean I am going to take my Hillary Clinton sticker off my bumper? Hell no, but it does mean I've brushed off my old Barack Obama window sign that I picked up at an event last spring and returned it to my window sill, the first of many expressions of support for the man I believe will be the nominee of our party and the next president of the United States.

Tags: 2008 Presidential election, Barack Obama, Democratic nomination, Hillary Clinton (all tags)

Comments

Welcome to my world

I saw this coming a month ago, but just didn't know exactly when it would happen.  I think you're right: after the next primary is a good time to bow out gracefully, and today is the time to start campaigning with Obama as an ally.

by juliewolf 2008-05-07 01:36AM | 0 recs
Thank you with all my heart!

I am so tired of the in fighting. I have watched us slash and burn each other and I am ready to see us United against McCain.  I believe we all have the basic goal of retaking our Country and restoring it to the promise our fore fathers envisioned.  I know at times while defending my candidate of choice against very staunch and aggressive Clinton supporters, I have allowed myself to spiral into negative back and forth attacks...I never wanted to have in fighting, but I guess when you have two strong contenders, their base becomes just as competitive...for my part...I apologize for any alienation I may have caused.

by netgui68 2008-05-07 05:56AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

Thanks Todd - classy post.

by interestedbystander 2008-05-07 01:36AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

Agreed. Fantastic post. Its actually a weird feeling now that its clear that the race is over.

by KevinT 2008-05-07 02:09AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

Absolutely. Posts like this make me very comfortable being optimistic about reconciliation.

by Lettuce 2008-05-07 03:57AM | 0 recs

Good post.

by danIA 2008-05-07 04:16AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

Todd your words echo exactly what I feel in my heart.   Last night as I watched the results come in for Indiana and North Carolina, I realized that Obama will be our nominee.

The overwhelming feeling is of sadness today.  Despite all the coverage to the contrary I had held on to a small hope that a miracle might happen and that she could pull it out.  But its not to be.

I am tremendously proud of Hillary as a candidate for president.  She has made some cracks in the glass ceiling but some other female candidate will have to crack it, hopefully sometime soon in the future.

I must say though, that I see great things in her future.  Not exactly sure what or when or how but I know that Hillary had great things ahead of her.

by SPK 2008-05-07 07:33AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

Agreed.  Very decent, Todd.

by David in NY 2008-05-07 11:01AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

Good post Todd.  I don't agree that they can be on the same ticket, but I'm certainly not going to be talking about that tonight when there's a lot of sadness over here.  But in a few weeks or so, when the healing has commenced, I'd be glad to have a lively discussion on who the VP should be.

by The Distillery 2008-05-07 01:42AM | 0 recs

VP picks are overrated.

She can be on the ticket as well as anyone.

She's earned the right of first refusal, IMO.

I don't think it's the best ticket per se, but I really think people overstate the importance of the VP.

Edwards did not help worth a damn in the south, especially in NC.  McCain's VP pick matters a lot more because there is an not-so-insignificant chance that that person will take over for him.

by reggie44pride 2008-05-07 02:03AM | 0 recs
She can't be in the VP slot

not with Bill Clinton as part of her campaign.

by juliewolf 2008-05-07 02:25AM | 0 recs
Re: She can't be in the VP slot

I'm a little disappointed with Bill Clinton.  I thought this week, "Wow! look at him go in NC... He's going to make a big difference!"  And poof!  Nothing!  He's been a real liability to the campaign as a whole.  Where as I thought two days ago he was a real asset 'cos of his energy, I now think he's a real drag 'cos of his links to the past, or whatever reason why he's not effective anymore.

by LordMike 2008-05-07 05:30AM | 0 recs
Re: She can't be in the VP slot

the thought that Bill could make a difference was always weird to me.

he might have been worth a fraction of a point but overall I think you're right. He hurt her campaign a bit.

I for one was on the sidelines on this campaign until he opened up his big mouth in South Carolina and played racial politics. Wasn't a big fan of that moment.

by alex100 2008-05-07 05:49AM | 0 recs
Re: She can't be in the VP slot

I think he was a mixed bag. For every person who said, "We get two for the price of one," there were people who wanted to see a candidate standing on her own two feet, and of course he had his gaffes and past which undermined him.

by politicsmatters 2008-05-07 06:53AM | 0 recs
Re: She can't be in the VP slot

Obama will have no choice but to offer her the slot, which she will refuse. Bill Clinton has nothing to do with it.

by doyenne49 2008-05-07 09:01AM | 0 recs
Agreed fully.

She's done amazing job this election and outperformed her campaign, I think.  She definitely earned the right of first refusal.  I don't think it's a good ticket, but just as Abigail Adams said in the miniseries "John Adams," "the Vice-Presidency, at least.  Anything else would be beneath [her] dignity."  (I may have fucked up that quote, but the sentiment is there).  Hillary has earned a lot in this campaign.  That includes the right of first refusal and possibly the first court pick.

by nklein 2008-05-07 02:31AM | 0 recs
Re: Agreed fully.

She has been a better candidate than her campaign. But, then again, she hired those folks and ultimately bears responsibility for the team she put together and its approach.

I wish she had run in 2004. I'm certain she would be working on her re-election campaign right now and the country would be better off for it.

by politicsmatters 2008-05-07 06:55AM | 0 recs
Re: Agreed fully.

I think she earned the VP spot and such a choice would go a long way towards healing the party divide.  The Supreme Court is WAY too important though for a seat to be given away as political spoils.  Sure she should have a say in it but so should many others.  We need exactly the right blend of progressivism, symbolism and longevity in our pick to make it as effective as possible.  Ultimately that will be Obama's choice to make.

by DreamsOfABlueNation 2008-05-07 08:36AM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards did not help worth a damn in the south

Wrong.

In 2004, Bush gained in all Southern States, but his gain in NC was the smallest.

So, relatively speaking, Edwards did help.

Remember, it's not only about winning swing states, it's also making the Republicans spend money in states that are supposed to be theirs. And a Southerner (or Westerner) on the ticket still seems to be a smart way to accomplish this.

by aufklaerer 2008-05-07 03:11AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

Thanks for all your work in this primary campaign, Todd.  You and Jonathan have kept me coming back here despite the deluge of absurdity and intellectual dishonesty coming from many of the Clinton partisans on mydd, including some of the other front page posters.  And your disclosure of your preference on Super Tuesday was done skillfully and with respect for your entire audience.  I hold you up as an example of an honest Clinton partisan here whenever I am elsewhere and discussing the current state of this blog in it's Hillary HQ incarnation. I shudder to think of how the bias might have spiraled out of control here without your nformed perspective tempering the Clinton viewpoint on mydd.  You are clearly a great asset to online politics and the progressive movement.  I look forward to being on the same team for the next six months.

by msbatxnyc 2008-05-07 01:47AM | 0 recs
And beyond... n/t

by nklein 2008-05-07 02:33AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

Incredible Post Todd. Thank You soo much. Your idea for Hillary to camp as an ally looks fantastic. Yeah, we'll come together and beat John McCain. We will do.

by Obamafan 2008-05-07 01:48AM | 0 recs
There is a way for Clinton

to continue.

It is to campaign in the remaining states, but to end all attacks on Obama.  If she does so, she in effect becomes an insurance policy that Democrats can use if for some reason events make Obama unelectable.

But she has to stop the attacks.  If she continues she risks her future within the party and endangers Bill's place in history.

The nomination fight is essentially over.

The hard part is about to begin.

by fladem 2008-05-07 01:49AM | 0 recs
Re: There is a way for Clinton

It would be an honourable way to proceed, but I don't know how you can ignore the narrative and incessant discussion of why doesn't she drop out.  And I simply don't see the money to continue even a light campaign schedule.

by interestedbystander 2008-05-07 02:14AM | 0 recs
Especially at the cost of fuel and with

those cross-country primaries and PR, it's going to be difficult for her to run even a skeleton campaign.

by nklein 2008-05-07 02:36AM | 0 recs
Re: There is a way for Clinton

You forget how much less previous campaigns costed.

a skeleton crew and a million or two should last her till the convention if she really wanted too.

Although, If she just fired Penn she would free up enough money probably to end in the black ;)

by Ernst 2008-05-07 02:37AM | 0 recs
Re: There is a way for Clinton

A million or two to last until the convention?  Obama is spending that in a week on television advertising in ONE state.  A million or two will not last her until the convention.  Hell, I would question a Senate campaign that expected to last on a million or two for three months.

by nklein 2008-05-07 02:42AM | 0 recs
Re: There is a way for Clinton

Actually that would be a normal number for a senate race in most cases.

But you forget. If the objective is not to win or be competitive but just to remain a positive presence in the race a little money goes a long way towards that goal. Although the there is still a lot of time left, were almost through the list of actual contests. Just making a lot of visits and only a limited ad buy at the end is enough.

by Ernst 2008-05-07 04:59AM | 0 recs
Re: There is a way for Clinton

sort of like Huckabee did.

by gnosis 2008-05-07 05:27AM | 0 recs
Re: There is a way for Clinton

didn't hurt McCain, didn't hurt Huckabee. Why not?

by Ernst 2008-05-07 06:14AM | 0 recs
Re: There is a way for Clinton

Nope. That's not the cost of a Senate campaign anymore.  Not in a competitive race, even in a small state.

by politicsmatters 2008-05-07 06:56AM | 0 recs
Re: There is a way for Clinton

"Not in a competitive race"

True. But were weren't talking about a competitive race, we were talking about a placeholder campaign ala Huckabee.

And of course, most senate races aren't competitive either.

by Ernst 2008-05-07 11:04PM | 0 recs
Re: There is a way for Clinton

No, I think Ernst is right about this.  Clinton could run what is essentially a placeholder campaign with very limited funds.

If she agreed to not attack Obama while doing so, I don't think anyone in the party would have a problem with it.

by bjones 2008-05-07 05:34AM | 0 recs
I don't think the party will have a problem

with it.  I just don't think she'll have the money to last more than two weeks.  She just lent herself another $6 million dollars.  A loss is not going to send the cash in.  If she doesn't have about $10 million to spend, it's going to be difficult for her to run even a skeleton campaign.

by nklein 2008-05-07 07:13AM | 0 recs
I think the debt is the problem

I have heard the campaign is 25 million in the hole, she has loaned the campaign 11.4 million...therefore she needs substantial donations just to get back in the black...by the way, I encourage Clinton supporters to donate to help her get the debt paid, she fought hard for her supporters and it seems fair that they should help her out of this predicament.

by netgui68 2008-05-07 06:02AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

Can we all take a moment and appreciate how truly fucked Mr. McCain is now?

The guy is so, so fucked now.

It's like in the cartoons when the little animal tricks the two much bigger animals into fighting each other.

Then after the dust clears, and the two big animals realize they're fighting each other, and turn their heads to see the little animal standing there sheepishly grinning.

...they then fuck up the little animal.

The little bastard animal in this terrible analogy is Sen. John McCain.

I love it.

by AlexScott 2008-05-07 01:51AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

Or, since I've already made one geeky comic book reference here tonight, it's like basically every comic book crossover "event" ever, where The Justice League and The Avengers, or Batman and Wolverine, or whomever, spend the entire first issue fighting each other until they suddenly realize that some despicable comic book villain is responsible the whole confusion.

After which, in the immortal words of The Thing, "It's clobberin' time!"

by Ray Radlein 2008-05-07 02:00AM | 0 recs

Hahaha.

Exactly.

by AlexScott 2008-05-07 02:05AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

drops Batman, who he's holding by the throat

"Dammit, it was Mole Man this whole time."

by Capt America 2008-05-07 05:14AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

Alex, your humor is merciless.

by catilinus 2008-05-07 04:19AM | 0 recs
IT IS GETTIN TO THE POINT

Barrack wins even with Hills best Michigan scenario.  It is wild  It is noit only MSNBC, but CNN was also in the smae vein...but not now, in the morning vein...which should tell us progressives that do you watch KOS, MyDD, CNN, MSNBC or FOX!!!!!!!

or your heart and your brain?

The answere is simple and it is clear

by msnstd 2008-05-07 01:56AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

Make MyDD a clearinghouse for progressive ideals

by msnstd 2008-05-07 01:57AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

I don't think it was a tie before tonight.

Maybe on February 19th?

by reggie44pride 2008-05-07 02:01AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

I think after a couple of weeks, it needs to be investigated if Hillary would be interested in any top position in an Obama cabinet.

1) Secretary of State

1. Health Czar
  2. Education Czar
  3. Labor Secretary

or the party can have her replace Harry Reid in the leadership position.

I do not know how practical any of this can be.

I think VP slot should go to someone like Webb.

by Pravin 2008-05-07 02:02AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

Please drop the thought that Webb is VP.

You do not want to lose that Senate seat.

You might not get it back.

We want to get as close to 60 as possible.  If Webb was in MA, I'd say sure.  But VA is not an automatic "we'll just get another Democrat" in there state.

Think strategically about both the GE and the House/Senate

by reggie44pride 2008-05-07 02:05AM | 0 recs
VA has a democratic governor

So why would the senate seat be lost? Kaine could simply appoint a replacement.

by Davidsfr 2008-05-07 02:23AM | 0 recs
Re: VA has a democratic governor

Is that a given there?

I thought every state had it's own rules about that?

by reggie44pride 2008-05-07 02:29AM | 0 recs
Re: VA has a democratic governor

What I meant to say, is that he could just appoint a Democrat, but if that Democrat is not especially popular, he could end up losing in re-election.

I think it's risky to just put a red state Senator on the ticket.

I think we overplay how important it is to put some tough dude on the ticket to "balance" it out.

Not convinced Webb would be the decisive person to make VA blue if it wasn't already.

by reggie44pride 2008-05-07 02:33AM | 0 recs
Re: VA has a democratic governor

Yes.  If we're going to go VA.  We should pick Kaine.  He's perfect for the moderate, reaching out to the Republicans.  We may even win Virginia and North Carolina with him.

by nklein 2008-05-07 02:49AM | 0 recs
Re: VA has a democratic governor
I dunno. I think VA flips blue if either Webb or Kaine is on the ticket, and we can't appoint a Dem to be Governor (the Lt. Gov is a Republican, Bill Bolling). And I think Webb offers a larger outreach strategy to independents and disaffected Republicans, having himself served in the Reagan administration before joining the Light Side.
by Jay R 2008-05-07 04:29AM | 0 recs
Yeah, but that's going to be for a year...

It's easier to win a gubernatorial seat in VA than a Senate seat.  We can win that governor's seat, especially with the former governor having the power of the VP office and all the time in the world to campaign there being right next door in D.C.  I mean Dems have won something like 4 out of the last 7 gubernatorial contests.

by nklein 2008-05-07 07:19AM | 0 recs
Re: Yeah, but that's going to be for a year...
Frankly, I'd be more worried about a year of a Republican in an executive office here than finding another Democrat to take Webb's seat. Much more worried. Our bench strength isn't half-bad, but our state legislative delegation is pretty weak right now and we could get steamrolled with all kinds of crappy legislation if Kaine isn't there to stop it--hell, we barely managed to avoid some pretty odious bills this year, and we controlled a chamber!

That's not to say I don't like Kaine for a job in DC, but I'd kind of like to see him in the Senate for the next 30 years, and that won't happen if Webb and Mark Warner are the incumbents. But I'm just not convinced yet that it's safe to put a Republican in the Governor's Mansion, even for only a year and with Brian Moran ready to take him out.

by Jay R 2008-05-07 10:42AM | 0 recs
Re: VA has a democratic governor

Mark Warner would instantly make VA blue. Don't see him signing on to the VP, though.

by Covin 2008-05-07 07:28AM | 0 recs
We need him for the Senate. n/t

by nklein 2008-05-07 09:50AM | 0 recs
Re: We need him for the Senate. n/t
We do, but I think Webb's seat is a different story, since he could stay in it up until Inauguration day (God willing we make it that far...), making it possible for Kaine to throw his hat into the ring, and the state GOP doesn't really have anyone who could top him (much like how they had to bring Jim Gilmore back just to have a sacrificial lamb in the race against Mark Warner).
by Jay R 2008-05-07 10:53AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

Obama/Clark: The cutest presidential ticket since 1992!

by Lettuce 2008-05-07 04:02AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

It's gonna be Clark... no doubt about it!  He's the perfect VP for the situation at hand... although, you never know who else may be good.  Axelrod has made some great decisions in this campaign, I'm sure they will find someone good.

by LordMike 2008-05-07 05:33AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

Clark/Obama was my ticket back in '06.  I actually saw Clark on the Santa Monica pier and considered urging him to run.  He was with his granddaughter so I didn't want to bug him.  My bad!

by enozinho 2008-05-07 09:03AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

Webb and Obama contrast too much. You want a VP that complements the ticket but not one that clashes.

Webb brings nothing to the ticket that somebody else wouldn't also bring without the drawbacks.

by Ernst 2008-05-07 02:42AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

How about in Reid's spot?  We need a fighter like HRC there to get the job done and the agenda moving in a better direction.

by igottheblues 2008-05-07 03:06AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

Can we drop the "Czar" thing, as a country?

It's a right-wing reference to pre-soviet Russia and absolute monarchical control.  No thanks.  Secretary works just fine.

by Capt America 2008-05-07 05:17AM | 0 recs
What?!

I don't see it that way at all. She was supposed to lose both a couple weeks ago and only needed to win IN and keep NC within 20%.

8-10% and to lose NC by 1-3%

Just winning IN and not losing NC by more than 20% was a win for Clinton.

by nonwhiteperson 2008-05-07 02:02AM | 0 recs
Re: What?!

Obama just negated any gains Clinton made with Penn and IN in his NC win (on both popular and delegates.)  Given Penn was her huge win and the one thing keeping her in this, she needed to not bleed off as much tonight, but she did.  Now there are only a handful of delegates left, and the supers are seeing Obama, having survived a hellish 3 weeks, strong in the lead and still winning states by large margins.  I gotta agree with Todd, this thing is over.

by iowa dem 2008-05-07 02:07AM | 0 recs
Re: What?!

Anyone who thought Clinton had any chance to merely lose NC by 1-3% was smoking some of the best stuff you can buy in Boulder.

When 35% of the population is voting against you 92-8, it's not going to happen.

A loss is a loss.  I am surprised it was not bigger though.

Nevertheless, game over.

Time to think of consolation prizes.  Clinton earned one.  Obama would have too if the roles were reversed.

by reggie44pride 2008-05-07 02:07AM | 0 recs
Re: What?!

To be fair, the black vote was looking to be a lot closer in the days before the contest.  Clinton had a shot at taking 15% of the black vote (closer to what she had in Ohio and Penn) but she didn't.  Thats where this size of win comes from.

by iowa dem 2008-05-07 02:09AM | 0 recs
Re: What?!

Actually, you can make the black vote 15% for her, and she still would have lost NC by 9 points.

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/05/m ake-your-own-north-carolina-prediction.h tml

Would the spin be any different at 9 versus 14-15 points?

by reggie44pride 2008-05-07 02:12AM | 0 recs
Re: What?!

Actually, it might have been. I think the key reason for the turn in the media narrative tonight was the final evidence that Clinton cannot win the popular vote, even if FL and MI are included.  If she had performed five points better in each state and kept him to 100K net instead of 200K, there might still be a possibility.

It's not that tonight made her path to the nomination more difficult. It's that she has run out of stories to tell or theories about how to slice-n-dice the data to justify the superdelegates flocking to her. The big margin of victory is what sealed that.

by alvernon 2008-05-07 02:17AM | 0 recs
Re: What?!

I don't think that's a given.

She's down 200,000 with them both counted, according to RCP.

I don't think MI should count, but I do think she could make up 200,000 votes with big wins in WV, KY and especially PR.

Maybe not likely, but possible.  Turnout has been huge in these states.  Indiana had like 1.25 million people, 300,000 more people than who voted for Kerry in that state in 2004.

If she won WV and KY by 20-30% each with that kind of record turnout, she would net about 225,000 votes from them combined.

Not saying that's how the race should be decided, but it certainly is mathematically possible if you include MI and FL.

As far as PR, who knows what would happen there.

OR would be a good gain for Obama.

It's all moot though.  Popular vote doesn't matter to the media or superdelegates.

by reggie44pride 2008-05-07 02:26AM | 0 recs
Re: What?!

There not that big and he'll win a lot back from big wins in Oregon and whatever advantage he gets from South Dakota and Montana.  This popular vote race is over.

by nklein 2008-05-07 02:53AM | 0 recs
Re: What?!

If we graciously give her the unopposed popular votes in Michigan - since she argues that we need to count all 50 STATES - then how can we give her popular vote gains in Puerto Rico - a place that has no say in November, and uh... it's not a state.

She can have Michigan or she can have Puerto Rico.  She can't have both.

Fair is fair.

Obama wins the most states.
Obama wins the most pledged delegates.
Obama wins the most popular votes.

Obama DESERVES the nomination.

by Obamaphile 2008-05-07 10:12AM | 0 recs
This is what was expected

as Alegre and others have said.

Don't give in to the blogger boys TM.

by nonwhiteperson 2008-05-07 02:03AM | 0 recs
Re: This is what was expected

True, we have long expected that Obama will be the nominee. Whether Clinton gets out tomorrow or one month from now, the fight is over.

It is not a bunch of boys ganging up on a helpless girl to point this out.  Hillary is a warrior.  She was defeated. When she drops out she will be giving in to reality.

I certainly hope that the true believers are as willing to recognize that reality as Bill Clinton obviously was tonight. When she drops out, it will be an enormous waste of energy to continue complaining about the media, the patriarchy, the bubblehead fellow Dems who voted against her, or the race-baiting, vote-stealing nominee.

by alvernon 2008-05-07 02:13AM | 0 recs
Re: This is what was expected

You are so right. We women love it when the guys use the same old tired sexist gambits to clear the field so they have a clear shot at the goal posts. Our valuable energy will definitely not be spent complaining. Then again, it won't be spent campaigning for Obama, nor will it be spent trekking to the polls for him in November. In fact, I think I'll have a shirt to iron that day, or a sandwich to make.

by portia9 2008-05-07 02:24AM | 0 recs
Re: This is what was expected

I'll say it again: if Clinton were to win the nomination, I'd do my best to get her elected even though she's not my first (she's not even my 4th)) choice because I know that McCain is bad for the country.  You're welcome to disagree with me on this, but I was willing to put aside my differences with Obama when Edwards and Dodd (1st and 2nd choice) dropped out, because I know this is what's right.

If you're not interested in launching a real fight against McCain, however, I don't see why you're even here.

by juliewolf 2008-05-07 02:32AM | 0 recs
a pity

whatever you're doing that day, think about this:

"McCain vows to name more 'Alitos' and 'Robertses'
By Matt Stearns | McClatchy Newspapers

WASHINGTON - John McCain sought to burnish his conservative credentials Tuesday with a broadside against "the common and systematic abuse of our federal courts by the people we entrust with judicial power" and a promise of "better judges" in the mold of Supreme Court Justices John G. Roberts and Samuel Alito.

In a speech on his judicial philosophy delivered in a chapel at Wake Forest University in North Carolina, McCain, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, decried federal judges who "assured of lifetime tenures...show little regard for the authority of the president, the Congress and the states. They display even less interest in the will of the people."

The intended audience seemed delighted."

so....staying at home is gonna using your "valuable energy" to improve this country....how?? two supreme court justices will likely be chosen by the next president, and you want to fight every day from now til the election to make sure mccain doesn't get to pick them.

if you can't see that, then you've really lost sight of what's important.

by j cantarella 2008-05-07 02:46AM | 0 recs
Re: This is what was expected

A. Mazing.  You seriously do yourself and your candidate a great diservice by talking this way.

by rkt 2008-05-07 03:51AM | 0 recs
Re: This is what was expected

There are a number of commenters here on MyDD who have so put me off the idea of Clinton as anything whatsoever. Those are the ones that I really don't want to see carrying water for Obama, because (to stretch the metaphor) they'd spill all the damn water.

by X Stryker 2008-05-07 04:03AM | 0 recs
Re: This is what was expected

Don't forget to stock up on coat hangers then.

by kasjogren 2008-05-07 04:43AM | 0 recs
ouch

but pretty much what i was thinking when i read that comment, too.

frankly, any democratic woman who thinks that staying home this november is going to advance the feminist agenda is one of two things:

1. deluded beyond belief.
2. so heartbroken over last night that they need time to heal before realising that supporting our nominee over mccain benefits american woman more than sitting out the election.

i sincerely hope portia falls into the latter category.

sorry but there is no way i'm sitting this one out.  just look at SCOTUS.  forgive me but i'd rather not lose control over my reproductive organs, TYVM.

by annatopia 2008-05-07 05:43AM | 0 recs
Re: This is what was expected

This is a disgusting comment but it shows your naivety. I will not vote for McCain, but it is silly fearmongering to suggest he will overturn Roe vs. Wade. McCain was pro-choice before he was trying to mollify the religious right. Also, since the majority of Americans support abortion rights, it would be political suicide.

by portia9 2008-05-07 10:22AM | 0 recs
sitting it out?

Tell me, are not the war, the environment, and fairness in the economy also women's issues? Children's issues?  Men's issues?

To ignore that a Democrat, even one you dislike, is better than another Republican... esp. after these horrible Bush years... is to be caught up in small-thinking.  This is more than loyalty to one celebrity-politician, this is about real people's lives.  I'm confident that those refusing to vote will be a small minority of personality cultists, myopic paleofeminists, and racists. Obama will carry the party and the country.

by mikeinsf 2008-05-07 11:25AM | 0 recs
Re: This is what was expected

He has never been pro-choice and has said he would appoint Scalias to the court.  I don't like Senator Clinton but I would vote for her in a heartbeat cause I am a values voter and McCain doesn't uphold mine.

by kasjogren 2008-05-07 11:30AM | 0 recs
Re: This is what was expected

Wow. What a graceless and immature comment. It's sad to have people like you in the party.

by jadegirl 2008-05-07 05:58AM | 0 recs
Re: This is what was expected

Well, you will be happy to know that I've left the party along with many, many others who feel the same way. The Obama campaign and it's enablers in the DNC, not to mention it's  supporters have put me off Democrats for a very long time, maybe forever.

by portia9 2008-05-07 10:15AM | 0 recs
Re: This is what was expected

So I can assume that you want a conservative SCOTUS that might succeed in overturning Roe v. Wade, correct?

Because that's what your actions will help happen.

Don't complain if you get your wish with a McCain presidency.

And please don't call yourself a feminist anymore, if that happens because folks like you sit this race out.

by Obamaphile 2008-05-07 10:24AM | 0 recs
Re: This is what was expected

You obviously don't care much about women's issues than.

McCain will fill SCOTUS with anti-choice judges, so YOUR rights as a woman will be jeopardized.

Go ahead and shoot yourself in the foot if you want... don't say we didn't warn you.  And if you vote McCain or don't vote and he wins, you forfeit your right to bitch about the policies that he enacts that will hurt YOU.

by Obamaphile 2008-05-07 10:16AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

Very nice post. I certainly hope that eventually all of the avid Hillary supporters can come to the point where you are.

I like your idea of both of them campaigning together in WV, KY, and OR. I'm sure she has a massive campaign debt to retire (alegre's vigorous fundraising efforts nothwithstanding), and it would make much more sense to pay off that debt than to waste even more money on ads and field.  The feelings may still be too raw for this to happen, but what an amazing thing it would be.

As for the unity ticket, sorry, but it is a horrible idea. Obama should not have to spend his presidency worrying about what the ambitious couple at the Naval Observatory are cooking up. I'm thinking Bill in particular, who cannot even be controlled by his wife's campaign -- what's to stop him from undercutting President Obama if the whim takes him?

Here's hoping that her climbdown is as tactful and heartfelt as yours, Todd.

by alvernon 2008-05-07 02:05AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie

I'm a Hillary supporter until she drops out, but i agree that a very difficult path has become an almost impossible one unless something major happens soon.

Obama is an outstanding nominee, and he has my full support.

This contest has been good for Obama, he can now go into the general and say i took on the Clinton machine in the Democratic Party and i won. So don't ever doubt my ability to beat McCain.

by liberalj 2008-05-07 02:12AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie

He's such a better candidate than he would have been if he had won NH and closed it out then.  And this has given him the opportunity to build organizations in the states.

by politicsmatters 2008-05-07 07:15AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie

Totally agree.

This process was great for the party. Obama goes into the GE fully tested. Even at his lowest point he was tied with McCain in the polls with the entire Democratic Party behind him he can win this thing.

by liberalj 2008-05-07 07:22AM | 0 recs

Todd:

Buck up, little camper, it's all good!

Okay, snide condescension (and bragodocio) aside, it's not a tragedy that Senator Obama will be our nominee, it's a great result for the Democratic party and the USA.

Come to the light, Hillary people!  All are welcome!

President Obama.  Get used to saying it.

by Reluctantpopstar 2008-05-07 02:15AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

Can we avoid that? The condescension. Because I'd rather Senator Obama be the reason people don't vote for him, rather than it be his supporters.

I'm a big Obama supporter but even the smallest dig at this stage is pointless.

Just be humble and congratulate our opponents on an amazing victory in Indiana.

by Lord Hadrian 2008-05-07 02:19AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken
Can we at least call it "hard-fought" and not "amazing"? There's condescension in overstatement, too.
by Jay R 2008-05-07 04:35AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

Come to the light, Hillary people?  All are welcome?

Seriously, think about losing such language. It's not helpful to actually get clinton supports to back Obama.

It best to talk about Obama as a good, reasonable democrat instead as the second comming of camelot, because the people you need to reach wont believe the latter anyway and will find it off putting.

by Ernst 2008-05-07 02:49AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

Obama supporter here.  You're reeally not helping the cause.

by rkt 2008-05-07 03:53AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

I agree with the above repies to your message.  Telling HRC supporters to "come to the light" is simply confirming why we have felt sqeamish about Obama in the first place.

"Come to the light" is not going to have any traction with GE voters either.

We all need to figure out how to pull this party together, and win in November.  Believing in Tinkerbell ain't going to cut it.

by sarany 2008-05-07 04:14AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

Can't anyone take a touch of irony, anymore?

Don't worry, there is no Tinkerbell Syndrome here.  All of us in Obama's camp have had plenty of time for introspection to determine whether it is simple enthusiasm or real support we feel, and the only Tinkerbell we know of is at Disney.

The man is good.  With luck the best president of our lifetimes (so far, let's hope for a better trend in future).

Examine the policies.  Think about the approach.  Listen to the intention.

If there is a better way to forecast how someone will act I certainly don't know what it is.

-chris

by chrisblask 2008-05-07 04:57AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

the question is, is it wise or strategic to mouth the very sorts of messages that are known to be a turn off to Hillary coalition?

and the answer is "no, it's dumb."  And it's horrible timing, when Obama is asking Clinton supporters to let go of her shot at the Presidency.

If the poster meant it flippantly, or ironically, which seems probable, then he / she should consider what is best for Obama today and in the coming weeks.

Grace, not irony, is called for.

by sarany 2008-05-07 05:15AM | 0 recs

Dear Reluctantpopstar:

I appreciate the invitation but no thanks! You'll never get me to drink Kool Aid when I don't know who made it or what's in it. Each day I see a different Barack Obama and I am never sure which one is going to pop up. I will never vote for him as President even if Hillary is his running mate. Her name in the VP slot will indeed make it more difficult for to press something other than "D" but it won't stop me.

Peace back at you.

by ladywalker68 2008-05-07 07:49AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

"Okay, snide condescension (and bragodocio) aside...."

Evedently NOT, at least in your case.  I was sorely tempted to troll rate your comment, but did not.

"Come to the light, Hillary people!  All are welcome!"

What in the world are you thinking of?  And how dare you imply that we were not in the light already?  "Buck up, little camper...."  What utter crap!

Please, please, engage your brain before putting fingers on the keyboard.

I will support Obama in spite of your post.

by BillCat 2008-05-07 07:56AM | 0 recs
Good luck to all

Has the coronation begun even here at mydd? Ah, well. It may be that Obama will be the nominee, but just as his pastor speaks of the chickens  coming home to roost, perhaps it's best for Obama supporters not to count their chickens before they hatch. Obama is an underwhelming candidate for many of us. Yes, there are many partisans out there who will tick the right box in November, but there are also many of us who find the conduct of the Obama campaign and the Democrats' blessing of it a good reason to opt out of the process altogether.

by portia9 2008-05-07 02:19AM | 0 recs
Re: Good luck to all

Coronations on August 28th, the 45th Anniversary of the Martin Luther King, I have a Dream Speech.

It's entirely ironic that it will be the 45th anniversary.

It's just one of those amazing coincidences; almost as if to say the time is now.

But whatever the DNC decides is the metric by which the nomination will be chosen, I will hope to capture.

We don't have 2024.5 delegates yet, so I'm not declaring Senator Obama the presumptive nominee or even the nominee; just that it's unlikely he will lose.

I do think Senator Clinton will always be in the wings until the 28th, just incase the proverbial other shoe drops and Senator Obama becomes unelectable.

That's just my opinion.

I do think we get the two parties of this wing together though - if not through a unity ticket, than perhaps through some good old fashion elbow grease and some GOTV.

by Lord Hadrian 2008-05-07 02:22AM | 0 recs
Re: Good luck to all

wings of this party - is it late or what? XD.

by Lord Hadrian 2008-05-07 02:23AM | 0 recs
sorry

for repeating myself, but i just think the bigger picture needs to be emphasized.

for what it's worth, i have been appalled by the clinton campaign over the last few months, no doubt as appalled as you have been by the obama campaign. BUT i would vote for hillary in a heartbeat if she were to win the nomination. here's why (and i'm mostly pasting in my comment above with slight alteration, sorry):

"McCain vows to name more 'Alitos' and 'Robertses'
By Matt Stearns | McClatchy Newspapers

The intended audience seemed delighted."

two supreme court justices will likely be chosen by the next president, and you want to fight every day from now til the election to make sure mccain doesn't get to pick them. "opting out" is irresponsible in the most serious way.

if you can't see that, then you've really lost sight of what's important.

by j cantarella 2008-05-07 02:53AM | 0 recs
Re: Good luck to all

Team HRC claimed that they represented regular folk who needed politics to better their lives.

But now these advocates for Joe Lunchbucket are now threatening to opt out of the electoral process b/c their candidate didn't win.

Tell me again about how it was such a slap to the abortion rights movement that Obama voted present, but now HRC supporters are threatening to actively or passively help McCain.

by Carl Nyberg 2008-05-07 04:49AM | 0 recs
And Todd you have been among the best...

and most reasonable of her supporters.  Her excellent and reasoned posts have been part of the reason I continuing coming here.  If the primary wars have done anything, they have allowed us to experience the utter joy of reuniting as one party to kill these Republicans who want to destroy our country.

by nklein 2008-05-07 02:23AM | 0 recs
Am I tired or whatt...that should be...

"Your excellent and reasoned posts..."

by nklein 2008-05-07 03:02AM | 0 recs

Thank you!

by Hope Monger 2008 2008-05-07 02:24AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

Obama will have my full support and back from now on. Good diary. We need more like this.

by MissVA 2008-05-07 02:42AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

me too  (obama has my support).  I've said all along that I will support him if and when.

Over at Talk Left, Armando/BTD has said that Hillary has earned the right to do what she wants now, and he hopes she will stay in for the final primaries but retool her campaign to go after McCain.

I think she is a lot classier than her detractors make her out to be, and I expect she will do this right.

She can go a long way toward beginning the task of taking the gloss off McCain and exposing his vulnerabilities.

by sarany 2008-05-07 04:21AM | 0 recs
keep up the good work todd

thanks for the post.

by j cantarella 2008-05-07 02:53AM | 0 recs

Excellent summary.

I think the best way to go for Senator Clinton is, as you noted, by going on to May 20th. If Obama wins Oregon, as I don't see why he wouldn't, then she can bow out on a high note (having won West Virginia and Kentucky). There really is no credible path to the nomination anymore sans a superdelegate coup at the convention that would tear the party apart.
Who knows if she will press on to the end - that wouldn't do much harm in my opinion but I don't see the rationale for that anymore after last night.

by GrahamCracker 2008-05-07 02:55AM | 0 recs
All I see that Obama won blacks

If you remove blacks from results - Hillary is a winner everywhere. She will stay: FL, MI, WV, KY & PR is hers. And we all hope that supers are sane and will not support the person who will lose in November.

by engels 2008-05-07 02:56AM | 0 recs
Re: All I see that Obama won blacks

On what planet is this an appropriate comment.  Please please please tell me.

by The Distillery 2008-05-07 03:11AM | 0 recs
Re: All I see that Obama won blacks

Seriously.

Just try rewriting that post this way:  "Just remove white women over 40 from the results and Obama would have won this in February".

Feels wrong, no?

by TL 2008-05-07 03:19AM | 0 recs
Re: All I see that Obama won blacks

"if you remove blacks from the vote"

I just want you to read what you wrote.

by mikeinsf 2008-05-07 03:17AM | 0 recs
Re: All I see that Obama won blacks

It's a pity that I'm not allowed to troll rate, because I'd do it here in a heart beat.

by juliewolf 2008-05-07 03:18AM | 0 recs
Re: All I see that Obama won blacks

We need to start to let it go.  There going to continue, but we don't need to kill everyone of them.  Hopefully, they wake up and understand what they wrote, but for the next couple of days I'm going to let it go.

by nklein 2008-05-07 03:22AM | 0 recs
With malice towards none and charity...

by molly bloom 2008-05-07 04:18AM | 0 recs
Abe was great! n/t

by nklein 2008-05-07 04:25AM | 0 recs
Re: All I see that Obama won blacks

You need help.  Seriously.

by Skaje 2008-05-07 03:20AM | 0 recs
Why not just remove blacks from electorate?

I sincerely hope you are being sarcastic here.

If not, you should find yourself another place to hang out. (Maybe the Klan has a blog now?)

by aufklaerer 2008-05-07 03:27AM | 0 recs
Re: All I see that Obama won blacks

If you read the Hillaryis44 thread from last night there's a fascinating progression from

"Hillary will win both and end this TONIGHT!"

to

"The AAs have taken over the party! We hates them, precious!"

with various conspiracy theory detours and demands for racial anger and un-reconciliation.

by Lettuce 2008-05-07 04:09AM | 0 recs
Re: All I see that Obama won blacks

hey engels, you're right. i've been thinking we should just reform the whole electoral process to reflect the wisdom of your thinking.

let's not allow blacks to vote. i mean, they're black. let's not allow the pesky hispanics to vote either. and while we're at it, screw the women too; the argument has been well articulated in saudi arabia (and, you know, the catholic church), and i think they've got a point. in fact, let's say no brown people, no women, and no seniors (you know, alzheimers). and screw the kids, only those at least 35. and hey, who needs the northeast, all a bunch of latte drinkin liberals and preppy wasps. they're out. anyone unemployed, out too. i mean, if they can't hold a job...they clearly can't decide who's best to lead the country. in fact, only those who earn at least $75,000 and not more than $1 million a year (you know, we're the party of "the people" still, so no kajillionaires). new york city, they're out too. i mean, with all that noise, how can they think? clearly they've got impaired judgement, and i haven't even begun to talk about the freaks. and, speaking of freaks, los angeles: no way...do i even need to explain.

so.....where does that leave us?

engels, pull your head out.

by j cantarella 2008-05-07 04:30AM | 0 recs
Jeez, MoeVaughn, you Mojoed that?

yep, let's can all those funny looking people, short people, tall people, people with long names...

sheesh

-chris

by chrisblask 2008-05-07 04:41AM | 0 recs
Strange little fantasy you have there, engels.

Any one else from the rest of us that you want to "remove?"

Of course, as a descendant of the original inhabitants of Iowa, who were "removed" not once but several times, I think I'll take a pass.

Prog

by Progressive Witness 2008-05-07 06:32AM | 0 recs
Re: All I see that Obama won blacks

What bothers me is that two people (moevaughn and Carl Nyberg) mojo rated this comment.

Ok., the total ignorance notwithstanding that is. Engels perhaps you should join the "southern Party" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Pa rty

by xodus1914 2008-05-07 07:02AM | 0 recs
After all who needs that pesky 14th amendment

Because we all know that African Americans can't vote in the fall...

/snark off

by Student Guy 2008-05-07 07:42AM | 0 recs
"If you remove blacks from results"

"If you remove blacks from results..."

Stop and read that sentence.  Read what you're writing.

by Shem 2008-05-07 08:42AM | 0 recs
Classy diary Todd. Kudos. n/t

by Travis Stark 2008-05-07 03:01AM | 0 recs
I think we need a serious dialogue

on bridging the gap between the issues - there was little space between them but I understand why some people feel more comfortable over Senator Clinton's Universal Health Care initiative than Senator Obama's.

The wording; the rhetoric - the feeling of it actually being universal is a quality that makes it both infinitely better and difficult to pass congress.

I wonder if Senator Obama will take Senator Clinton along for the rider or if she turns it down; or if in her concession she asks that he does this for her. It was perhaps her biggest political goal; perhaps something that she felt strongest about.

That maybe one area where the gaps may be bridged. But I do know Senator Obama wants to move further to the center and his position at the moment is one that could be pushed through congress a bit more easily.

Another issue is special interests. I think supporters of Senator Clinton need to e-mail her and say of the three things that dragged her down and possibly cost her the election other than Mark Penn and the Inevitability Narrative, it was the special interests.

This was a change election and Senator Clinton needs to strongly attack those special interests and start showing she does not see them as groups that represent real Americans but entrenched, elitist scum of the earth types that make the Middle Class disappear faster than a cup of water in the Sahara.

If she wants to be Vice President, she needs to adopt the Obama-meme.

I believe furthermore we need to automatically adopt a strict, no tolerance of McCain policy. Absolutely none. We may respect his war history but we need to start the slogans now.

And they're going to be strong.

I think "100 Years" is our best at the moment. But we've missed a serious opportunity to label him as a flip-flopper. The American people love that, it seems, but at least in this instance, it would be true. Contrast John McCain of 2000 and 2001 and the John McCain of 2008. Have Senator Kerry going around talking about how John McCain's camp approached him to create a unity ticket in 2004.

100% focus of attention on attacking John McCain without mercy. Have our positions outlined, but every stump speech should include one mention of John McCain's war service and a thousand things that make me want to vomit about him.

I do like the Abraham Lincoln appeal mentioned in the article cited in the diary - that could be the angle they use. I know it'll anger a lot of people but we're getting to that point where either candidate would be doomed without one or the other.

I don't know yet. We'll have to see.

by Lord Hadrian 2008-05-07 03:05AM | 0 recs
Reconciliation Begins Now

Democrats,

The time is now to rally around the flag and go all-in to elect President Obama. The hard truth may still be setting in, but it is, in fact, the truth. Barack Obama will be OUR party's nominee, and he needs every ounce of energy--time, support, funds--you gave so graciously in support of Hillary refocused in his favor and directed against John McCain. We will elect Barack Obama as our nation's president in six months because of how we came together right now, in this instant.

Reconciliation Begins Now.

by Pittsburgh Soldier 2008-05-07 03:15AM | 0 recs
Re: Reconciliation Begins Now

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOM!

by Lord Hadrian 2008-05-07 03:19AM | 0 recs
Agree

I agree that the inverse of what occurred was the minimum needed to proceed with a realistic, if remote, shot of securing the nomination by way of a path that did not include bringing down the party.  Whether she rides it out through the 20th or even June 3rd in order to honor her campaign commitments or to help heal the rift is immaterial in terms of the now inevitable result of the process.  Whether you are satisfied with the result or not, Sen. Obama will be our party's nominee.  Sen. Clinton's perhaps 15-20% chance is now significantly less than 1% and only a dead girl or a live boy will change that.

Sadly it is over for her and I hope she either accepts the VP slot as part of healing the party, or better, that she replaces Reid in short order as Senate Majority Leader.  She fights better than the boxer from Searchlight.

by Trond Jacobsen 2008-05-07 03:18AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

"Senator Clinton had a really bad night and Senator Obama had a phenomenal one"

Over 600,000 North Carolineans voted against the democratic front-runner.  I wouldn't use the term 'phenomenal'.  He also lost a state that he was expected to win.

by gwen 2008-05-07 03:27AM | 0 recs
Nice Spin.
BO increaded his delegate and popilar vote leads, wiping out any gains Clinton made in PA.
Expect SDs to come out en masse for Obama starting today.
by parahammer 2008-05-07 03:38AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

I wouldn't use the adjective "phenomenal" to describe his NC win.

by gwen 2008-05-07 03:50AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

Polls had Obama anywhere from 5-10 points away from his victory margins in both states.

I think that's pretty major, especially given how hard the Clinton campaign has been going against him.

by juliewolf 2008-05-07 04:01AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

"Over 600,000 North Carolineans voted against the democratic front-runner."

That's just wrong-headed thinking.  When I voted for Hillary, I was doing only that - supporting the candidate I favored.  In no way should that be construed as a vote "against" any one.  Indeed, we have no provision in our voting methods to vate "against" anyone.

Further, had Hillary not been in the race, I could have happily voted for Obama.

How in the world do you come up with the idea that a vote for one candidate indiacts anything other than support for the candidate receiving the vote?

Please engage brain before placing hands on keyboard!

by BillCat 2008-05-07 08:11AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

Strange to see this post coming so soon.  All these weeks, I thought I would be leaping for joy the day Obama finally put it away ("closed the deal", if you will).  Instead, I'm just tired.  Very, very tired of the primary wars.  I don't think that everyone will jump right on the Obama bandwagon, nor do I expect them to.  Hell, let's wait a few days at least to see what Clinton herself wants to do.  But in the end, real Democrats across the country know that we stand together or fall alone.  Any one of our candidates (Obama, Clinton, Edwards, Richardson, Biden, Dodd, even Kucinich and Gravel) would make a better president than McCain.  It hurts to see your favored candidate go down to someone you are at best ambivalent towards.  But that's what a lot of us had to go through back in 2004, when one by one Dean, Clark, and Edwards dropped out and only the Kerry juggernaut was left.  I was a Deaniac 100%, barely even knew Kerry.  Was I upset?  Yes.  But voting for Bush, or Nader, or abstaining, or writing in Dean's name wasn't even an option, it didn't even go through my head.

And what do you know, I actually got to like Kerry, and it's a shame we didn't get to see him as president, the past four years would have been very interesting to see.

Anyway, to all the Clinton supporters: don't take anything the over-excited Obama fans say personally.  It's been a long campaign and we're all tired, and the inherent anonymity of the internet tends to turn us all into assholes.  There's a lot of us trying our best to be pleasant tonight, I hope you all see that.

Let's beat McCain.

by Skaje 2008-05-07 03:33AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

Well said.  I've always thought that barely-constrained asshole-ishness was one of the great things about myDD.  It's not so much that it is a constant troll war, but people on both sides could both dish it out and take it. It made the conversation more fun, if also more infuriating.

But I agree that now is not the time for that. I am an asshole even when not anonymous (and I'm probably not the only one), but we all need to take a deep breath and refocus on what is important. It will be too easy to get sucked into the same old fights. I, for one, won't do it.

by alvernon 2008-05-07 03:49AM | 0 recs

Yep.

Families can fight better than anyone, but they remain families and will turn and defend to the death a family member they were just attacking should some other sad asshole decide to attack them as well.

You folks are the family, I'm just a visitor.  My Democratic Party life-long involvement wasn't and ended years ago.  I just think this is the time for a Dem, and Obama is the one.  I know who I am going to vote for.

You folks are the family.  It's time to get your house in order.

-chris "doesn't believe in Internet Anonymity" blask

by chrisblask 2008-05-07 04:34AM | 0 recs
Get out of my head!

When I read what you said it so mirrored my thoughts and actions last night and this morning that I'm convinced you stole my thoughts.  Damn you!

by nklein 2008-05-07 04:46AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

Don't take it personally?

Go to hell.

by sas 2008-05-07 10:44AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

I'm  not feeling nearly as conciliatory as I thought I would this morning.

After all the overt and covert race baiting and patriotism baiting of the last few weeks, there's no way I'd support Senator Clinton even as VP candidate, and as an Obama donor I'll be making that sentiment known to the campaign.  She's divisive, disingenuous, lacking in scruples, and an overrated campaigner as a result.

And she voted for the war, and has never backed down from that vote.

Goodbye, Clintons.

/not classy

by realcountrymusic 2008-05-07 03:52AM | 0 recs
You're 100% right

which is why I am dropping the democratic party altogether.

I've been cursed at and scorned in every democratic blog for supporting Hillary Clinton, and have railed against CNN and MSNBC for unapologetic bias.

The Clinton supporters are just not in synch with the democratic party anymore.

The democratic party has become too racist and intolerant for our taste.

by internetstar 2008-05-07 04:13AM | 0 recs
Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out...

"Racist and intolerant"

Stop Eating the Brown Acid.

Get out in the world.  Look around.  Pry your fingers off the keyboard, stop drinking your own KoolAid and focus past your fingertips.

You may discover you are: a/ entirely wrong, or; b/ a troll.

-chris blask

by chrisblask 2008-05-07 04:48AM | 0 recs
go back to Daily Kos

Oh, that's right.  this IS Daily Kos!

by internetstar 2008-05-07 05:17AM | 0 recs
Re: You're 100% right

I agree.  The Obama campaign has capitalized on every right-wing line of attack, every smear, every dollar spent dirtying Hillary.  They called her a liar, a panderer, a racist, a person with no values and no scruples, a person who would do anything to get elected, you name it.  He ran his last all-out negative attack ad just hours ago, and added some of their own smear in winning this ther dirty way.

I have very little respect left for Axelrod, Obama, Mrs. Obama, and the rest of that campaign.

I hope they do take the White House, because anything is better than McCain, but I harbor little hope for unity, reconciliation, or progress towards a viable agenda.

I just can't see Obama people, arrogant and dismissive as they are, being able to work with anybody.

by dembluestates 2008-05-07 05:47AM | 0 recs

Powerfully written diary.

by catilinus 2008-05-07 04:08AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

I've been an Obama supporter for a while - and while it often infuriated and frustrated me to make my multiple-stops-per-day at MyDD to read - I felt it was important to stay "plugged in" to what was going on over here - to hear the concerns, thoughts and perspectives of Hillary's supporters - chief among them, Todd's.

I know how hard it is to be gracious in defeat (as Democrats, we gotten plenty of practice in the last eight years) - and this post of Todd's speaks a lot to the reason why it never felt right to just stop coming to MyDD.

We've got a lot of work to do to defeat McCain - not to mention winning the myriad of congressional races that we're competitive in.  We're going to need Hillary's help - and Hillary's supporters help.  We will succeed as Democrats if we can unite as Democrats.

And now is the time.

Thanks Todd.

by kautrey 2008-05-07 04:09AM | 0 recs
didn't realize Todd was an MSNBC Guy

by internetstar 2008-05-07 04:18AM | 0 recs
Great post!

I must repeat what many have said. Great post, Todd. On point, level-headed, and heart-felt.

I hope all Democrats can now come together. We will unite.

by wolff109 2008-05-07 04:22AM | 0 recs
Susanne Malvaux

She just reported that the Clinton camp believes IN and NC don't matter because the Democrats won't win there in November. I hope she was misquoting the Clinton campaign.

by elrod 2008-05-07 04:26AM | 0 recs
Re: Susanne Malvaux

She quoted them accurately because that is the truth.

by BigB 2008-05-07 05:48AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

regarding Clinton as VP - this Obama supporter doesn't like her.  BUT, given how close and contentious the race has been, I will happily get behind her for the VP slot if that will go towards unifying the party.

by edparrot 2008-05-07 04:32AM | 0 recs
Not a chance in hell

Clinton would lower herself.

by internetstar 2008-05-07 05:18AM | 0 recs
Major Opportunity Ahead!

"Clinton would lower herself?"

What, to become the first woman elected to the Executive Branch in US history?  To be an integral part of getting the country back on the right track?  To be part of an electoral juggernaut that cripples the conservative wing of the Republican party for a decade?  What part of that scenario poses a problem for you?

Yes, I am disappointed that Hillary probably will not be the presidential nominee, just as you evidently are.  But half a loaf in infinitely better than none.

by BillCat 2008-05-07 08:21AM | 0 recs

Very classy post.

by tysonpublic 2008-05-07 04:45AM | 0 recs
Don't inhale the smoke and mirrors!

What bloody nonsense!

Obama still can't get the demographics he would need  for November. HIllary is getting those by higher and higher margins.

AAs cannot carry a November election. In most of those high-AA delegate states, the November voters have not even elected AAs to state offices.

The media and a local Obama mayor -- by withholding  results and possibly doctoring them -- put out a lot of discouraging smoke last night. Don't let's US believe it.

by 1950democrat 2008-05-07 05:17AM | 0 recs
Re: Don't inhale the smoke and mirrors!

You do realize that no democrat has been elected to the white house in 50 years without the black vote?  Bill Clinton NEVER won the white vote.  African Americans are a hugely important constituency to our party.

by LordMike 2008-05-07 05:41AM | 0 recs
AAs and eggheads

is how Paul Begala put it on CNN yesterday night. Good luck with winning with that coalition. Dukakis won 10 states with that. Obama may win a few more states but he ain't becoming the next president and it would appear that the Democratic party will once again foolishly nominate a far-left liberal.

by BigB 2008-05-07 05:47AM | 0 recs

Great Diary.

by Bobby Obama 2008-05-07 05:25AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

Well on the Magical Unity Ticket (MUT), yes Obama should consider a running mate to appeal to white working class voters... but is HILLARY CLINTON the best person to accomplish that?

Sure she's preferred... to OBAMA but wouldn't there be a slate of candidates who are preferred to CLINTON?

by MNPundit 2008-05-07 05:28AM | 0 recs
Todd

You are one of the most honest and classy bloggers around.

Great post.

by Populista 2008-05-07 05:42AM | 0 recs
Good luck to you all with your coronation

Good luck to you all about the Coronation of Prince Barack.

Thanks for all the condescending posts about Hillary who would be our nominee today if we follwed the same winner-take-all rules of the Republicans.

She has won everyone of the swing states in the mid-west, has won more big states him and attracts Reagan Democrats.

Obama leads in the pledged delegates because of his wins in red state caucuses and because of overwehelming support among the AA voters.

Thanks for your "kindness" in offering Hillary some bones. It is the same condescending and insulting mentality that has angered millions of Hillary supporters like me through this campaign. 50% of Hillary supporters in IN and NC said they would not vote for Obama if he were to eb the nominee.

After the way we were treated by the porgressive blogs now you want us to support Obama?

Good luck with that!

I am writing-in Hillary in the fall. I will not vote for an unqualified candidate. Hillary, of course, can do whatever she wants. She has earned that right. My loyalty is only to her and to her policies. It does not translate to anyone else.

by BigB 2008-05-07 05:45AM | 0 recs
Re: Good luck to you all with your coronation

If your loyalty is to Clinton's policies, then I'm sure you wouldn't want McCain in the WH to promote policies diametrically opposed o those.

by politicsmatters 2008-05-07 07:19AM | 0 recs
Re: Good luck to you all with your coronation

What makes Obama unqualified? What did he ever do to you? The vitrol on this blog was being flung by both sides, but Obama himself never ever said anything about you or a post you made on mydd. All he did was run a mostly positive campaign against Hillary Clinton, Bill Clinton, the media, John McCain and somehow came out on top despite the mud being flung at him. Are you a DEMOCRAT or simply a Hillary fan? If you're strictly the latter then thats cool and it's understandable and supporters like you are why she's been so successful. But if you're a Democrat and you WANT Democratic values and ideas to prosper, putting a Dem in the WH would be a huge step. Its not about Barak. Its about the DEMOCRATIC PARTY. A party that has a history of being divided and never keeping our eye on the big picture because of petty differences. Yes we've nominted  Hart, Dukakis, Mondale, and Kerry. We've also nominated Kennedy, Truman, Rockefeller, and Clinton. We've got a huge uphill battle ahead of us. Its winnable but our party needs all of its soldiers to battle John McCain and his MSM co-horts.

by mjamal97 2008-05-07 07:55AM | 0 recs
Re: Good luck to you all with your coronation

SO you're a Hillary supporter until she supports  Obama in the GE, then , right?

by xodus1914 2008-05-07 09:00AM | 0 recs
Thanks for this post...

...now let's go get McCain!

I was surprised at how sad I felt looking at Bill and Chelsea during last night's speech.  I'm happy for my guy, but it really brought home just how hard they worked for this and how much they wanted it.  I still think that if Clinton doesn't hire Penn, she might very well be talking about who she should choose for VP now.

by thezzyzx 2008-05-07 05:46AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

Thanks for a classy post, Todd. I appreciate your ability to be conciliatory even when your candidate is losing. You will be able to pivot to a general election frame of mind which will be much harder for Jerome. Hillary has run a good campaign, but she never recovered from her early missteps. She disregarded the caucus states and that allowed Obama to build an insurmountable lead in pledged delegates. I hope that she will be graceful and step aside for the good of the party and not try to blow up the party at the convention. I think it would be unsuccessful and she would lose her standing in the party forever.

by jadegirl 2008-05-07 05:47AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

I think Hillary has waged a courageous, determined, winning campaign.

She has made the right decisions, hit the targets, and brought home the Democratic base.

Obama has swamped her with turnout, in places where non-Democrats have come out and broken all sorts of turnout records, but who will likely not vote Democrat in the Fall.

Obama's victory will put every old-South state in McCain's column before the first vote is cast, and also puts within reach of McCain places where Hillary would have no problem:  Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, and maybe even New Jersey.

Gioven his issues with the Hispanic vote, Obama will lose Dem momentum in places where Dems have been surging, like NV, NM, CO, AZ, and VA.

Hillary is 50-70 Electoral votes stronger than Obama, but because he and his team were able to capitalize on the flaws in our Dem primary system, they will end up nominee.  And think they deserved it.

by dembluestates 2008-05-07 06:00AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

"I feel Hillary was done in by a flawed process, and Obama's victory, while impressive, has not made him the more qualified candidate."

So you don't feel that Hillary was done in by:

1. Not campaigning in every state, Big or Small?
  2. Not setting up a grassroots fundraising system but instead just relying on the Big Donors of the CLinton Machine?
  3. NOT preparing to campaign after Super Tuesday?
  4. NOT perparing to take an active part in the Caucuses?

None of these tidbits led to her downfall?

by xodus1914 2008-05-07 09:05AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

"Though she had a 'divide and conquor' frame of the issue that work well for a GE against a Republican".

History is written by the victors and if Senator Clinton had won the primary her tactics would have been seen as brilliant.

However, I have long thought that one of her fundamental failures was to keep on describing herself as an experienced problem solver without defining what the problem was.

The 'problem' was winning pledged delegates, it was not about winning a GE.

Obama concentrated on the problem of winning delegates, not least by paying attention to Caucuses. My expectation is that he will now start shifting his tactics to be GE friendly.

by My Ob 2008-05-07 06:11AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

I really appreciate your post, Todd.  Over the course of this primary season, the often extreme pro-Hillary slant of MyDD (and its commenters) was almost enough to keep me away.  I almost removed MyDD from my RSS feeds many times.  But every once in a while I would get something of value that kept me coming back, and this post proves that there is more substance and perspective (at least from Todd) to be had.  This line of yours especially resonated with me:

"And let's be honest here, you and I know he is a far stronger candidate for having had Hillary Clinton as his opponent."

I have volunteered for the Obama campaign in several states and put in countless hours this season, and I must agree with you there.  It was extremely difficult to take as an Obama supporter, and I will be honest that my view of the Clintons (or their campaign) has lessened in some ways due to some of the attacks.  But I will say without hesitation that Hillary is one hell of a fighter, and a damn worthy opponent.  And when all the dust settles, Obama and his campaign have had to toughen up, as I think all of us on all sides have had to.  There are a million ways that this whole thing could still end badly, but if Democrats unite soon, lick our wounds and heal our divisions, we will be an unstoppable machine going into November!

by nadacascadia 2008-05-07 06:14AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken
I know some of HRC supporters are disappointed. Between now and Nov, please pretend that we have a parliamentary system like Great Britain. Go in that voting booth and pull the D lever. As I think both of these excellent candidates have said, this election is much bigger than any one candidate. Think of the candidate as representing a philosophy for the future. The projected future is a multiracial progressive society by 2040 (with no racial group a majority). It might be that we are more rapidly moving toward that future than one could have possibly dreamed. This future will undoubtedly include a female president, possibly as early
as 2012-2020. (The key to the future is education, which I don't think the candidates have paid very much attention to yet; I hope that will change.)
by applecrispbetty 2008-05-07 06:35AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

Pure class, Todd.  Even through the worst of the pie fight of the last four months, yours has been a voice of sense, reason, and calm.

I feel that I, as an Obama supporter, have no place calling this thing over, or calling for HRC to drop out.  She's richly earned the right to be the only one to make that decision.  As long as she's still fighting, y'all keep fighting for her.  But regardless of that, this post is a good first step towards our two camps shaking hands and rolling up sleeves.  We have common cause, coming up.

by Progressive Witness 2008-05-07 06:36AM | 0 recs
I'm both happy and sad.

I'm happy last night ended up the way it did...it could have gone either way.  But I'm sad because many of my brothers and sisters are sad.

I want us all to get along...not just as voters but because we came into this as like-minded ideologues, as friends.  Like the civil war, we have gone through a period of brother against brother, sister against sister.  That kind of fighting makes no one happy.

Like brothers in the civil war, slightly battered and tattered we all limp home to heal our wounds and go on.

by GFORD 2008-05-07 06:46AM | 0 recs
Only thing that changed last night is media story

Obama won by well over 14% in all of the surrounding states of North Carolina.  He had been projected earlier in the race to win by far more than that.

And Indiana was always a "toss up", maybe with a slight Obama edge because it is bordering Illinois and even on the Chicago market.

So, I don't really think anything changed dramatically last night.  The most dramatic thing that happened is Obama netted 200k votes, but was that really a huge surprise?  I agree that the burden is on Clinton to change the dynamic and she didn't, but I think she did about as well as can be expected barring the collapse of the Obama campaign.

What we have seen throughout this race is both candidates have maintained their base - the only thing changing is the states that are voting.

I think the media wants this over because they are tired of talking about it - and most of the pundits favored Obama from the start.

Obama is still the overwhelming favorite at this point.  But I still think he loses in November - which is the reason I have been supporting Hillary all along.

Dems should also fix the nomination process for 2012 so we can have a winner take all or same-day primary across the nation, and avoid producing a nominee after such a long drawn-out battle.

That said, I think it is time for Obama to offer Clinton something if he is the nominee.  It does not have to be the VP slot, but he can say that she would be in his cabinet.  Clinton may refuse or think it beneath her, but at least then we know that Obama is doing all he can to be conciliatory towards someone who should be a key ally for November.

by mikes101 2008-05-07 07:05AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

Well maybe it's time for Hillary and ol'Bill to get fix up some Black eyed peas, cornbread, some pig's feet, and a bottle of Ripple, and hi tail it over to the Barrack Obama residence, for a pow wow, on how Hillary would best serve as Obama's VP.

by johnny sexton 2008-05-07 07:13AM | 0 recs

Todd, great post.

Apart from everything else currently working against her, I believe that Hillary will shortly have to pack it in in any case for lack of campaign funding.  It's not as though she and Bill have the wealth of Mitt Romney, with the ability to self-fund more or less indefinitely.  The donations are extremely likely to dry up, and campaigns without money are simply not viable.

I supported Hillary after my other first choices dropped out of the race, but will be happy to cast a vote for Obama in November.

The choice for VP will be interesting.  I'd have to guess it would be publicly offered to Hillary, in the interest of restoring unity in the party.  Frankly, the first and most important job of the VP candidate is to help ensure that the ticket wins the White House - which has made for a lot of unusual VP choices over the years.  What would Hillary bring to the ticket?  Well, to start, a fairly extensive grassroots organization, as well as large numbers of women and hispanic voters. Granted, there are a considerable number of folks who dislike Hillary but, fortunately, most of them are already unlikely to vote for Obama in November.

Any other VP candidate will have to bring at least as much to the table - or provide the high probability that his or her presence on the ticket would carry a swing state (one with lots of electoral votes) for the Democrats. Maybe Virginia's Warner could do this, but there are not many such choices.  I like Edwards, but I'm not convinced that he brings any electoral votes to the game, and while Richardson might help to carry NM, that's doesn't provide a lot of help with electoral votes.  Now, if we had a good VP choice who could bring along Florida or Ohio, that would be interesting (of course, it could be argued that Hillary would be as mich help in these states and anyone else).

by BillCat 2008-05-07 08:46AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

Thank you, Todd, for your eloquence. Although Hillary's behavior this morning is perplexing, it seemed like an end to me. My wife and I have been at daggers drawn for months - we became citizens last August, and for this? She, once a fervent Clinton supporter, lately an Obama precinct deelegate, has become more and more angry at Hillary (the one, I still claim, that she sees refracted through a biased press) and by extension at me. Last night I sat quietly and asked her to give me time to mourn.

by UncleDavid 2008-05-07 09:06AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

As of today I have switched my support from Hillary Clinton to Barack Obama. Barack Obama's huge win in North Carolina and small loss in Indiana convinced me.  As a life-long voting Democrat I urge Hillary Clinton supporters to come to terms and smell the coffee. I also urge those in our party who are threatening to vote for McCain in the general election if Obama becomes our candidate to seriously, and I mean this, seriously search their souls. For the damage done to our nation and to the world by G.W. Bush's shameful legacy will only deepen in a McCain administration . Let's now all unite and elect Barrack Obama to the White House in 2008!

by antirightwing 2008-05-07 09:47AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

Todd--much appreciated heartfelt words about the state of the race and the end game. I have always enjoyed your writing and your ability to advocate for Clinton while not totally writing off Obama. I look forward to your further writings as we attempt to put Barack in the White House.

by wasder 2008-05-07 10:19AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

Just got a shout out for this diary on MSNBC. Nice work Todd.

by mikeplugh 2008-05-07 10:27AM | 0 recs
Hey Todd

Congratulations part of your diary was highlighted on MSNBC at 2:25PM

Nice job!!!!

by hootie4170 2008-05-07 10:29AM | 0 recs
Re: The Tie Has Been Broken

You want to kiss and make up?  Fine.

I won't.

Obama can go to hell and so can the Democratic party.

by sas 2008-05-07 10:39AM | 0 recs
Ukkkk

All I could think when I read this was

Grow up.

by The Great Gatsby 2008-05-07 02:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Ukkkk

lol.

Burn.

Oh well, someone else can post a "Waaaaambulance" graphic.

by The Great Gatsby 2008-05-07 03:03PM | 0 recs