Report: Netanyahu says 9/11 terror attacks good for Israel

From the diaries. I've got a Israel post coming up, particularly on the party situation over in Israel. A Likud led-gov't by Netanyahu would be disastrous, Jerome

I mostly stay out of the great I/P debate, because I am a nation-state kind of guy. While I see cultural mandates for land based on history and tradition, I view the premises of nation-states being the key to stability in any region. Be it the Middle East, Africa or South Asia.

But when another nation-state, especially a former leader of that nation-state, comes out and says one of our national tragedies was of great benefit to them, I begin to wonder where their allegiance really lies. These are not the kind of statements allies make.

From Haaretz:
Report: Netanyahu says 9/11 terror attacks good for Israel
By Haaretz Service and Reuters
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/9755 74.html

The Israeli newspaper Ma'ariv on Wednesday reported that Likud leader Benjamin Netanyahu told an audience at Bar Ilan university that the September 11, 2001 terror attacks had been beneficial for Israel.

"We are benefiting from one thing, and that is the attack on the Twin Towers and Pentagon, and the American struggle in Iraq," Ma'ariv quoted the former prime minister as saying. He reportedly added that these events "swung American public opinion in our favor."

Every candidate, and American, should demand that Likud leader Benjamin Netanyahu apologize for his statements. How dare he dance on the corpses ashes of 9/11 to score cheap political points. How can he possibly cheer lead on this issue, one of the great tragedies in American history.

If Hugo Chavez had said this, we would be rolling tanks into Caracas by sundown. I hold the leaders of Israel to a high standard, which makes this even a lower blow.

Demand Netanyahu apologize, and demand your candidate denounce such rhetoric.

Tags: 9/11, Israel, Netanyahu (all tags)

Comments

dont hold your breath

American politicians are not allowed to criticize the Israelis.

by highgrade 2008-04-16 08:21AM | 0 recs
Please, hold your breath.

Claims like that sound an aweful lot like slur that the world is run by the jews.

by PJ Jefferson 2008-04-16 08:30AM | 0 recs
Not at all

I was hoping people didn't take it in that way. I would liken it to the same way that you will never hear any politician say anything that could be construed as attacking the AARP; or how throughout the summer before the first primary everyone supports farm subsidies. It's all politics.

by highgrade 2008-04-16 08:33AM | 0 recs
Excellent recovery.

Agreed.

What bothers me is that people (not you in that comment) often claim that the American government is run by AIPAC, and that everything wrong with American foreign policy, including Iraq and Iran, have been pushed on us by AIPAC, and not for our benefit, but for Israel's.

I see our foreign policy as favoring U.S. imperialism and protecting multi-national corporate profit.  I think we use Israel as a tool in our goals in the middle east, not vice versa.

And for those who think otherwise, its just a throwback to that old wive's tale that a small, shadowy group of jews runs the entire world.  In other words, if tiny little Israel can control the U.S. by throwing money at its leaders, then perhaps a small group of jews HAS controlled the entire world for thousands of years by controlling the banks.  Its two plays off the same theme - the teeny tiny little powerless minority (Jews/Israel) ruling in the shadows over the all powerful massive majority (the U.S./world economy).

by PJ Jefferson 2008-04-16 08:47AM | 0 recs
Re: Excellent recovery.

Look, anyone who thinks that our relationship with Israel is one sided just doesn;t understand the situation very well. Of course we use the Israelis for our own ends.

But again, I wish that people would look at the relationship the same way that all politicians and voters think about our government's relationship to other special interests - whether it is the financial services industry, oil/gas, agribusiness, the AARP, or the NAACP. I see no difference. On one hand farming subsidies help some of the rural communities that would not exist but for government intervention. But on the other hand everyone else is paying inflated prices at the grocery store because of these supports. It's the same way, by arming Israel and supporting its economy through aid we are able to keep the Arabs and Iran in check - but no one with an ounce of objectivity can argue that this relationship doesn't also put the US in some difficult circumstances.

by highgrade 2008-04-16 08:56AM | 0 recs
Re: Excellent recovery.

I have seen links to some Jewish papers(usually the right wing kind) where they brag about the influence they have in DC. One AIPAC guy was so full of himself he took it on himself to threaten a Democratic congresswoman from the midwest(was it Wisconsin or MN, I forget).

AIPAC is the same organization where they had an event and Democratic politicians shut their impotent mouths when they gave Cheney a huge standing ovation.

Lieberman continues to attack other politicians with impunity whenever he detects a tiny amount of lack of favoritism to Israel (witness his ridiculous attack on Dean during the 2004 debates).

Attacking AIAPC is not the same as saying Jews rule the world because a lot of Jewish people were against a guy llike Lieberman in the CT primary. And nationwide, there are a lot of liberal Jewish voters who dont vote along AIPAC's lines.

by Pravin 2008-04-17 02:36PM | 0 recs
Re: Excellent recovery.

It's a fair observation.  When, if ever, do we level criticism at Israel or threaten to withhold foreign aid if they keep breaking their promises on colonizing the West Bank?

NOPE. We let them push that little envelope, even though that problem, more than any other, is at the root of current middle eastern anti-western rhetoric.

We only pressure Israel when problems near a flash point.  We do NOT treat them as we do other foreign countries.

by Richard Woodcock II 2008-04-17 02:49PM | 0 recs
Re: Please, hold your breath.

If you've been conditioned to look for "the world is run by Jews" motivations of Gentiles criticizing Israel, you may find what you are looking for.

by Carl Nyberg 2008-04-16 09:16AM | 0 recs
Re: Please, hold your breath.

I guess it works both ways. That being said, it just annoys me that this issue is never discussed as openly among Democrats as it should be.

by highgrade 2008-04-16 09:18AM | 0 recs
Re: Please, hold your breath.

What issue needs to be discussed?

The U.S. government subsidizing and protecting (with its UN Security Council veto) the gradual annexation of Palestinian land and denying Palestinians basic human rights?

Or the fact that Jewish Americans don't like Israel to be criticized b/c it's a slippery slope to genocide against Jews?

by Carl Nyberg 2008-04-16 10:23AM | 0 recs
No, it was just worded inartfully.

I'm not the chip on my shoulder type, I'm not a big Israel supporter, and although I'm technically Jewish, it really only speaks to my ancestry and heritage, as I am my religion would best be described as athiesm.

I didn't pick up on it because I was looking for it.  It was just kinda there.

by PJ Jefferson 2008-04-16 12:22PM | 0 recs
Delete this diary!

You took a sentence out of an article that only quoted two of the lines from his speech.  The other line was these events "swung American public opinion in our favor."

It doesn't mean that he that he thought the attacks were good or something that made him happy.

You are trying to get a fight started here and are fomenting hate.  This diary should be deleted!!!!!

by cjbardy 2008-04-16 08:30AM | 0 recs
Re: Delete this diary!

Stating truth is not fomenting hate, I want a retraction from his statement.

This is about nation-states, not your hang ups about I/P. I support Israel, but I do not support rhetoric like this.

Do you?

by pinche tejano 2008-04-16 08:52AM | 0 recs
Well, this is standard fare for the PNAC neocons

and Zionists everywhere.  They needed a Pearl Harbor to enable their power grab and they got it.  And isn't it great that we're probably going to have Netanyahu as prime minister throwing a wrench into every Israeli concession aimed at bringing peace to the region.  I keep reading that a majority of Israelis want to gain peace by means of a Palestinian homeland, but they never seem to be able to elect anyone but unapologetic right wingers.

by ReillyDiefenbach 2008-04-16 08:36AM | 0 recs
Re: Report: Netanyahu says 9/11 terror

What a disgusting diary! How about pointing out the part of the article where the Iranian dictator calls 9/11 a hoax???
This diary should be deleted!

Evil prevails when good people do nothing!

by ProudMilitaryMom 2008-04-16 08:48AM | 0 recs
Re: Report: Netanyahu says 9/11 terror

We know the democratically elected leader of Iran is a nutcase, I hold the former prime ministers of Israel to higher standard.

He should either retract his statement, or clarify his meaning.

Are you saying Haaretz is spreading lies about Israel? I find your position laughable.

by pinche tejano 2008-04-16 08:54AM | 0 recs
Re: Report: Netanyahu says 9/11 terror

Or the Palestinians dancing in the street on 9/11.  Or the Iranian nut job saying the Shoah didn't exist.

Or Jimmy Carter loving terrorists?

by kydem 2008-04-16 08:54AM | 0 recs
Re: Report: Netanyahu says 9/11 terror

We have had plenty of accounts on blogs about iran's nutcase leader in the past. And Iran is not our ally. So there is no discussion value in that. Think logically.

by Pravin 2008-04-17 02:38PM | 0 recs
Netanyahu is an idiot.

There, I said it, and once again for emphasis: he is an idiot.

In terms of substantive policy analysis, he's probably right at the margins, in that the attacks didn't create an entirely new thing, only deepened the relationship; the United States has been staunchly pro-Israel since the Kennedy administration. But did the attacks raise the threat profile of Islamist terrorism in this country? Of course.

It's just incredibly impolite and stupid to say so, let alone to look as if one puts a positive valuation on it.

Eh. I hope they vote in a nice leftwing Labour government.

by MBNYC 2008-04-16 09:06AM | 0 recs
Re: Netanyahu is an idiot.

I am so with you on the leftwing Labour government for Israel. But America is really a glasshouse when it comes to our rightwing ways right now.

It's days like today I miss Yitzhak Rabin, and his voice of reason. I would love to hear his retort to this.

by pinche tejano 2008-04-16 09:30AM | 0 recs
Yeah, I wish.

Rabin was a real statesman, Netanyahu reminds me of one of those yappy Fox Noise commentators. I actually went to a vigil for Rabin after he was murdered.

I really don't know what's going to happen in their next election, but it doesn't look too good for the lefties, unfortunately. It's going to take a major leap of faith for the Israelis to throw their fate to the peace crowd when there's rockets coming down and the Bibis of the world pretend they're macho enough to solve the damn problems. Solve them while not doing anything about the freaking settlements, checkpoints, and so on, of course, because those, like, totally aren't an issue.

by MBNYC 2008-04-16 09:45AM | 0 recs
Re: Netanyahu is an idiot.

I wasn't all that impressed with the prospects of Labor, or Meretz, for that matter. They seem to have tied their boat to Kadima and prospects for a deal in the fall on the two-state solution.

by Jerome Armstrong 2008-04-17 02:42PM | 0 recs
Re: Netanyahu is an idiot.

Really, to Meretz? Why tie up to a boat that has already set sail?

Sigh.

by pinche tejano 2008-04-18 06:30AM | 0 recs
Re: Netanyahu is an idiot.

Netanyahu, not content to fill up his mouth with one shoe, stuck in another by declaring that, even if Olmert and Abbas manage to sign a peace agreement, he will refuse to honor it.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/9760 50.html

Listen to the sound of American politicians denouncing him!

* cricket chirp *

by Feh 2008-04-18 11:19AM | 0 recs
Re: Netanyahu is an idiot.

I think Netanhyahu is one of those guys who got embittered by personal tragedy. His brother died during the raid at Entebbe. So i can see why he would be this way. What I dont understand is why our politicians even give a fuck about Israel to such a big extent. Israel is a tiny country and it should not be such a big part of our foreign policy. They are our ally , fine. But there are limits.

by Pravin 2008-04-17 02:40PM | 0 recs
Are you for real???????????????

n/t

by The Smoldering Crone 2008-04-16 09:07AM | 0 recs
I wonder if those Zionists

still demand proof that AIPAC was in favor of the USA invading Iraq.

by Carl Nyberg 2008-04-16 09:14AM | 0 recs
I am a Zionist

And was never in favor of invading Iraq.  I was in favor of ousting Saddam but not in the way that W did.

by kydem 2008-04-16 09:28AM | 0 recs
Re: I am a Zionist

It seems pretty clear from circumstantial evidence that AIPAC was quietly lobbying Dems to rollover on Iraq in 2002 b/c the organization is run by ideological allies of people like Netenyahu.

Whether AIPAC has the power to deliver Jewish votes is open to question. However, AIPAC can deliver elections and a large segment of American Jews have bought into attacks against Israel's critics that label them as "anti-semitic".

by Carl Nyberg 2008-04-16 10:27AM | 0 recs
Re: I am a Zionist

I agree. AIPAC is better at delivering money and other electoral benefits than actual jewish voters in large enough numbers. Most polls I see show Jewish voters not voting in one monolithic bloc.

by Pravin 2008-04-17 02:42PM | 0 recs
Re: I am a Zionist

BTW, have you encountered Zionists who made some variation of the argument that having the U.S. military occupy Iraq would make U.S. voters more sympathetic to the difficulties Israel has occupying the West Bank?

by Carl Nyberg 2008-04-16 10:28AM | 0 recs
you should apologise first for taking

his comments out of context.  Then continue to avoid the idiotic I/P debates.  They are the same yada yada yada time after time.

by TeresaInPa 2008-04-16 09:30AM | 0 recs
Re: you should apologise first for taking

I don't need lessons in civility from you.

If you are saying Haaretz took his comments out of context, write them a letter, not me.

by pinche tejano 2008-04-16 09:34AM | 0 recs
Oh, you mean

They are the same yada yada yada time after time.

...like your Obama commentary?

by MBNYC 2008-04-16 09:50AM | 0 recs
denying Palestinian human rights

isn't worth discussing?

by Carl Nyberg 2008-04-16 10:30AM | 0 recs
Re: Report: Netanyahu says 9/11 terror attacks goo

Is anyone surprised by this revalation?

by Cristalgirl 2008-04-16 09:40AM | 0 recs
Surprised? Yes.

I knew Bibi was an idiot, but how much of a catatonic zombie idiot was something of a revelation.

by MBNYC 2008-04-16 09:49AM | 0 recs
Re: Surprised? Yes.

Being of Palestinian descent, I follow the I/P issue quite a bit as you can imagine. Throughout the years, I have never seen an Israeli politician with such hate and contempt for anything decent such as Netanyahu. He is a Neo-con's Neo-con. Nothing he says or does surprises me.

by lizardbox 2008-04-16 10:06AM | 0 recs
Israel is a Parasite State

Israel is a parsite apartied state. America will be far better off when it cuts off the ambilical cord and denounces the human rights violations of the palistinain people. The principal that the world needs to endure endless conflict so that Jewish people are the majority in a place that they chose to colonize due to biblical teachings, is absurd. Israel is bad for America. That reality has been suppressed by a media that is clearly in the pocket of PRO ISRAEL elements.

PUT AMERICA FIRST!!!

by edtastic 2008-04-16 06:51PM | 0 recs
Is there such a thing as being

too pro Israel.

Is there such a thing as being too patriotic.

Is there such a thing as not loving Jesus enough.

by missliberties 2008-04-17 02:44PM | 0 recs
Re: Report: Netanyahu says 9/11 terror attacks goo

No one should be surprised....
Tear Down the Wall!
http://www.banksy.co.uk/outdoors/horizon tal_1.htm

go through them all.....

by nogo war 2008-04-17 02:45PM | 0 recs
Re: Report: Netanyahu says 9/11 terror attacks goo
oops..I meant THIS wall
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment /4748063.stm
by nogo war 2008-04-17 02:51PM | 0 recs
Dumb about our "homelands"

I come from a primarily Irish heritage.  As a people, Irish-Americans are moronic about 'the homeland'.  South Boston - where my father comes from and the political base of many Irish Dem politicians from Tip O'Neil to the Kennedys - was openly supportive of the IRA.  Ireland was treated completely different than other countries, especially non-European countries that would have similar "Troubles".

Politicians have acted the same way about Israel.  I'm not anti-semitic, they don't "control the media" or anything.  But they do exert a disproportionate influence on the media, and they tend to be a fairly strong voting block in the Democratic party.

They also are overrepresented in Congress.  Jewish-Americans make up approximately 1.4% of the US population.  The US Senate is 13% Jewish (2 GOP, Lieberman, Sanders and 9 D).  The US Congress has 29 Jewish representatives (1 GOP) which is 6.67% of the body.

There's no great conspiracy, but just as the Irish are irrational about Ireland, the Jewish community tends to be irrational about Israel.  They are simply held to a different standard and are treated as if they were more important to US interests than they actually are.

Its not as if Israel is creating stability in the region.  If anything, the opposite is true.  I'm not saying the Palestinians are any better, but to me the two peoples are two sides to the same coin... the Israelis just gained Western sympathy (and the tactics the early leaders of Israel were the same the PLO now uses and neither side is acting within international law) and won.

I see plenty of comments saying "Why aren't you pointing out Iran or Hamas" etc.  Thats the point.  Israel remains our untouchable ally no matter what it does.  If its equivalent to Iran or Hamas, why do we treat it so differently than Iran or Hamas?

by PantsB 2008-04-17 02:53PM | 0 recs
Re: Report: Netanyahu says 9/11 terror attacks goo
Better
http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article 4153.shtml
by nogo war 2008-04-17 02:53PM | 0 recs
Re: Report: Netanyahu says 9/11 terror attacks goo

Radical peace plan:

1) Give one of our Western states to the citizen's of Israel.

1. Give Israel control to a unified coalition of Israelis, Palestinians, and other minority Christian groups in the area as a world heritage site.
  2. Give the occupied land back.

This will stop the chances of WWIII starting in the next 5-10 years. No Iran or other middle-eastern reason to blow up the world and Israelis get property in a land that has plenty of land and where 5% of the population is Jewish.

Too weird? I am just tired of the 2000 year war that's all. It's too expensive and really started after WWII ended so it's still fairly recent for us to correct our mistakes.

by comingawakening 2008-04-17 05:17PM | 0 recs
Re: Report: Netanyahu says 9/11 terror attacks goo

We could give Israelis North Dakota. It's very sparsely populated.

The trouble is, they'd have to seize South Dakota and build settlements there too.

by Liberal Avenger 2008-04-17 09:01PM | 0 recs
Re: Report: Netanyahu says 9/11 terror attacks goo

Just for the record, Netanyahu has said this before.

This was from immediately after the September 11th attacks:

Asked tonight what the attack meant for relations between the United States and Israel, Benjamin Netanyahu, the former prime minister, replied: "It's very good."

Then he edited himself: "Well, not very good, but it will generate immediate sympathy."

by marquer 2008-04-17 07:05PM | 0 recs
Re: Report: Netanyahu says 9/11 terror attacks goo

At least he has the virtue of consistency, if no others.

by Feh 2008-04-18 11:22AM | 0 recs
Re: Report: Netanyahu says 9/11 terror attacks goo

You guys and gals are not thinking.  You are reacting to mere words.  Netanyahu is NOT saying Oh goody, goody for 9/11.  He is saying the EFFECT of 9/11 was to make a lot of people realize that terrorism, whatever the initial target, may come around and destroy others as well.  We have seen that amply.  Can you all just stop reacting to words as if they were some flag waved in front of the proverbial bull (all of us) and look at the MEANING.  And there is something rather bizarre about blaming Israel, which has been the target of terrorism rather than the perpetrators of terrorism.  Do you really think we would all be safer if we could just give all of Israel to the Palestinians?

by Annabella 2008-04-17 07:12PM | 0 recs
Re: Report: Netanyahu says 9/11 terror attacks goo

Mere words? That what your lame apology atrocious remark for Bebe is.

by Kobi 2008-04-17 08:47PM | 0 recs
Netanyahu says 9/11 terror attacks good

If it had been someone whom Obama had once shaken hands with to say such a heinous thing, it would be all over the news -- with ample denunciations, of course; even if it was just that he didn't wash his hand quickly enough afterward).

But since it was just a top Israeli politician, who might be its next PM, -- NEVER MIND!

by Kobi 2008-04-17 08:46PM | 0 recs
Netanyahu says 9/11 terror attacks good for Israel

In 2002 Sharon egged Bush on to attack Iraq.

Israel Says War on Iraq Would Benefit the Region

Other nations may cavil, but many in Israel are so certain of the rightness of a war on Iraq that officials are already thinking past that conflict to urge a continued, assertive American role in the Middle East.

Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz told members of the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations last week that after Iraq, the United States should generate "political, economic, diplomatic pressure" on Iran. "We have great interest in shaping the Middle East the day after" a war, he said.

It may seem paradoxical that the country most vulnerable to an Iraqi attack in case of war is most eager for that war to begin. But Israel's military intelligence apparatus has concluded that the chances of a successful Iraqi missile strike here during this war, while ever present, are small.

The Israeli government and military elite believe that Saddam Hussein seeks devastating weapons but has far less capacity for mayhem than he had during the Persian Gulf war of 1991, when his forces fired 39 Scud missiles at Israel. The Israeli Army also believes that its own national defenses are much improved.

Israel regards Iran and Syria as greater threats and is hoping that once Saddam Hussein is dispensed with, the dominoes will start to tumble. According to this hope -- or evolving strategy -- moderates and reformers throughout the region would be encouraged to put new pressure on their own governments, not excepting the Palestine Authority of Yasir Arafat.

"The shock waves emerging from post-Saddam Baghdad could have wide-ranging effects in Tehran, Damascus, and in Ramallah," Efraim Halevy, Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's national security adviser, said in a speech in Munich this month.

Until recently, Mr. Halevy was the chief of the Mossad, Israel's spy agency. He said, "We have hopes of greater stability, greater enhanced confidence from the Persian Gulf to the Atlantic shores of Morocco."

by Lefty Coaster 2008-04-17 09:20PM | 0 recs