Barack Obama Speech Thread

Barack Obama is speaking to supporters in Texas following his apparent win in Wisconsin. Have at it...

Update [2008-2-19 21:42:18 by Todd Beeton]:Obama is pushing early voting. "Don't wait until March 4th, I want you to start voting tomorrow."

Update [2008-2-19 21:47:47 by Todd Beeton]:"What we're trying to do here is not easy and it will not happen overnight. It will take more than big rallies. It's going to take more than rousing speeches. It will also require more than policy papers and positions and websites, it is going to require something more...Washington has become a place where good ideas go to die."

Update [2008-2-19 21:57:8 by Todd Beeton]:This is Obama's standard stump speech. In the past, he's used election nights to launch new speeches (i.e. "Yes We Can" in New Hampshire) or new language, not so tonight.

Update [2008-2-19 22:7:42 by Todd Beeton]:Here he goes sending some dog whistle right-wing talking points to those red state Democrats in Texas:

"I believe in the free market. I know Texans believe in entrepreneurship. We are an independent and a self-reliant people. We don't believe in government doing what we can do for ourselves. But when we've got CEOs making more in 10 minutes than ordinary workers are making in a year, and it's the CEOs who are getting a tax break and workers are left with nothing then something is wrong and something has to change."

I mean, I get that he's framing an essentially progressive value, that government should have a role in improving people's lives, just using right-wing talking points, but why is he so intent on changing right-wing foreign policy conventional wisdom yet so content to buy into right-wing frames on domestic policy, from taxes to Social Security to healthcare and now government, in what he considers to be a winning strategy; why is it OK with progressives that he does this on domestic issues, but not OK when Hillary Clinton "sounds like George Bush" on foreign policy?

Tags: Barack Obama, Open Thread, Wisconsin (all tags)

Comments

Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

'Houston, I think we've achieved lift-off here...'

by Shaun Appleby 2008-02-19 04:39PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

You're looking at the next President of the United States. It's in the bank.

by falcon4e 2008-02-19 04:41PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Where is he? Following Hillary? Okay....

by Zeitgeist9000 2008-02-19 04:44PM | 0 recs
Agreed

Give him two weeks time and he'll pass Clinton in Texas and Ohio, IMHO.

He's already beating McCain in Iowa, Virginia, and just about all of the Kerry states. That's 271, and the White House, right there.

by Kal 2008-02-19 04:50PM | 0 recs
Re: Agreed

Nevada, Colorado, Iowa, Virginia.  Nothing on New Mexico yet.

by Nissl 2008-02-19 05:15PM | 0 recs

He said, "Ya'll."

I think he cribbed that from Lyndon Johnson.

by Bob Johnson 2008-02-19 04:41PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Could be.  He has Lyndon's ears.

by Lou Grinzo 2008-02-19 05:51PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Could backfire on him... Stereotypical male feeling he has the right to over talk women.

by jelyfish 2008-02-19 04:44PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

I doubt it, Kerry did the same thing to Edwards in 2004.

by Progressive America 2008-02-19 04:47PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

She didn't even thank her supporters in WI.  That was classless.  She deserved to be interrupted.

by Vox Populi 2008-02-19 04:47PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Are we in reruns already?

I thought we already saw that show with the SOtU snub?

by zonk 2008-02-19 05:07PM | 0 recs
Obama momentum

Does anyone think that even if Obama beats Hillary the Obama movement will be so worn down that the strength to fight McCain won't be summoned again?

by Zeitgeist9000 2008-02-19 04:46PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama momentum

by animated 2008-02-19 04:47PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama momentum

We may need a week or two off, but that's all.

by DPW 2008-02-19 04:47PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama momentum

Not really. We'll have defeated the most powerful Democratic politician on Earth.

The energy will be through the roof.

by MNPundit 2008-02-19 04:50PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama momentum

Really. After defeating the inevitable Clinton machine who is "down, but never out" as her supporters say, old man McCain won't be that difficult.

by Kal 2008-02-19 04:52PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama momentum

Just for what it's worth, McCain is only 5 years younger than Raul Castro.

by mhojo 2008-02-19 04:59PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama momentum

and he's taking over for another unitary executive...

peas in a pod.

by its simple IF you ignore the complexity 2008-02-19 05:22PM | 0 recs

That's why he is urging people to vote now instead of on March 4.  He knows the momentum is slowing and the media is finally waking up from their Obama-crush.

by Montague 2008-02-19 04:53PM | 0 recs
He wants those folks
doing GOTV on Mar 4th.
It's called winning.
by parahammer 2008-02-19 04:54PM | 0 recs
Re: He wants those folks

He knows the bubble is going to burst.  Sometime.

Sadly, it's going to burst between August and November.

by Montague 2008-02-19 04:58PM | 0 recs
Re: He wants those folks

Actually to me he seems like he's using the platform to inform his Texas voters of what they need to do to make their vote count. Compared to how the Clinton camp was supposedly caught flat footed about  the admittedly unusual procedure...

by MNPundit 2008-02-19 05:00PM | 0 recs
Flatfooted in PA too

Clinton will not have a full slate of delegates

by parahammer 2008-02-19 05:02PM | 0 recs
And ain't that just the problem?

Admittedly unusual procedures in primaries all over the place.  Obama lucked out.  He won't be so lucky in the fall.

by Montague 2008-02-19 05:03PM | 0 recs
Re: He wants those folks

Is this the first time you have conceded Clinton will not win the nomination?

by Bob Johnson 2008-02-19 05:02PM | 0 recs
Re: He wants those folks

It must suck to live in fear all the time.

by rfahey22 2008-02-19 08:49PM | 0 recs
Re: Yes

He won voters who decided in the last week 52 to 44.

by godemsin08 2008-02-19 05:15PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama momentum

And you think that if Hillary ekes out a victory at the convention (which at this point is her only path), she won't be worn down?

by chinapaulo 2008-02-19 05:04PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Wow, big contrast from Hillary.

by Progressive America 2008-02-19 04:46PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

notice he isnt ATTACKING her in his speech

people seem to like this

by chriscizzila 2008-02-19 04:48PM | 0 recs

NO PARTICULARS - THE 64 PAGES OF ISSUES ON HIS WEBSITE JUST SAY THE WORD HOPE

absolutely no content

by chriscizzila 2008-02-19 04:49PM | 0 recs

ha ha...amen.

by roseaupensant 2008-02-19 04:53PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

I just checked they added page 65.  It also only says "hope."

by 1jpb 2008-02-19 04:54PM | 0 recs

It also says Winner.

by swarty 2008-02-19 05:10PM | 0 recs

It's like that book in The Shining

by animated 2008-02-19 04:56PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

I don't like that he interrupted her. Doesn't seem like an Obama thing. He should not have don that. I say this as a big Obama supporter.

The only way I can rationalize it is that he's pissed about all the plagiarism talk. But still, should not cut her off.

We must be humble in our victory--always.

by poserM 2008-02-19 04:52PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

You picked the wrong candidate for humility.  Out of curiosity, should "we" be humble in loss as well?

by Montague 2008-02-19 04:55PM | 0 recs
Previously Scheduled

Hillary should have started earlier and respected the front runner.

by parahammer 2008-02-19 04:56PM | 0 recs
Re: Previously Scheduled

but still

by poserM 2008-02-19 04:56PM | 0 recs
"respected the frontrunner"?

Is that what y'all were saying months ago when Hillary was called the frontrunner?

by Montague 2008-02-19 04:59PM | 0 recs

Thats why Obama never went negative.

by parahammer 2008-02-19 05:01PM | 0 recs
Months ago

no votes had been cast.

by parahammer 2008-02-19 05:01PM | 0 recs
Didn't answer the question that was asked

by Montague 2008-02-19 05:04PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

She shouldn't have used her speech to attack him then. Why should he give her free air time to tear into him?

by Purplepeople 2008-02-19 04:56PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

I read that her speech was scheduled for 8:30 EST (even though it was before the polls closed).
See these two site for examples:
http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_article.as px?storyid=83538&provider=gnews
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2 008/02/19/682431.aspx

For whatever reason she started late. I assume that if Obama waited much longer, he risked viewers turning off the TV.

by mimi42 2008-02-19 05:07PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

That is simply called Hardball.  Get over it. I would have expected her to do the same thing.

by swarty 2008-02-19 05:11PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

"I would have expected her to do the same thing."

Except it wouldn't be written off as "hardball" it would have been processed through the Clinton Rules.

by newhorizon 2008-02-19 05:18PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

WHAT are "we" trying to do? What ideas are you going to save from dieing?

by kevin22262 2008-02-19 04:52PM | 0 recs
Shorter Obama:

Change. Hope. Ideas. Hope. Hope. Hope. Me. Change. Speeches. Hope. Change.

by Montague 2008-02-19 04:54PM | 0 recs
Actually I don't have cable

so I'm not listening to it.  :D

Now that I think about it, I don't have to hear it.  He says the same few things over and over and over.  No need to listen.

by Montague 2008-02-19 05:07PM | 0 recs
Re: Actually I don't have cable

that sums up quite a bit more than I think you meant it to...

by its simple IF you ignore the complexity 2008-02-19 05:25PM | 0 recs
Yeah, it means I'm not glued to a TV 24/7

by Montague 2008-02-20 11:14AM | 0 recs
Re: Actually I don't have cable

well all Clinton talks about about is how much less talk she is. Go figure.

by affratboy22 2008-02-19 05:29PM | 0 recs
hahaha!

Why would it make my or this other persons skin crawl? It is just that he says NOTHING.

by kevin22262 2008-02-19 06:32PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Revitalizing the Voters Rights Act of 1965; tax cuts and simplified tax filings for middle class families, trade policy that stresses labor and environmental standards, amending NAFTA, increase funding for basic research and workforce development, invest in green technologies and energy independence, deploying broadband through more effective use of wireless spectrum, ensure and protect the freedom to unionize, index the minimum wage to inflation, reverse the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy, reinstate PAYGO, ensure competitive bidding for federal contracts over $25,000, eliminate subsidies to oil and gas companies and to the private student loan industry, give the Treasury Dept. the resources it needs to enforce laws against tax havens and close a $350 billion gap between taxes owed and taxes paid, all that healthcare stuff, harden chemical plants from attack, keep track of spent nuclear fuel, plan for evacuating special needs populations during emergencies, upgrade monitoring and security for drinking water, require the public to be informed about radioactive releases, bring the troops home, press the reconciliation of Iraqi factions, launch a diplomatic effort in the Middle East that engages all of Iraq's neighbors including Iran and Syria, humanitarian relief for Iraqi refugees, expand Americorp and similar organizations to facilitate national and community service, engage retiring Americans to contribute their skills and knowledge to the community, and . . . . well, I'm tired of typing.

It took me all of twenty seconds to find Obama's plans. More plans than I cared to read. Makes me think that the folks who say he doesn't have any specifics aren't trying very hard to locate the specifics. But, then, I'm cynical.

by mhojo 2008-02-19 05:18PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

I've examined his web site multiple times and still believe that his "specifics" aren't substantive.  It reads like a promise-fest list created by a bunch of his advisers. There is too much "investment" aka "spending" going on and raising taxes on the "rich" won't pay for all of it.

My main point is that I don't think there is much new here.  It's just a delivered by a better "package".  It's sad in a way because these speeches and "Christmas-List" websites really dumb-down the public to a point where they believe that their only salvation, their only "hope" is through the blessed government.

by KensUSA 2008-02-19 05:38PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

McCain talked "War, war, war, military, Islamo-fascists, war, Iraq, We must stay, etc."

Obama highlights ending the war.

I think Obama has faced a much stiffer challenge against a much stronger candidate in Hillary Clinton than he will face versus tired, ol' McCain.

by Bob Johnson 2008-02-19 04:53PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

That might be true, but right-wing talk radio may do the heavy-lifting for McCain....

by Zeitgeist9000 2008-02-19 04:56PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Maybe. But McCain will look like Bob Dole looked versus Bill Clinton.

It is the future versus the past. And with the economy in a shambles and the war dragging on, people will want to move on.

by Bob Johnson 2008-02-19 04:57PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Right-wing radio didn't exactly do a good job propelling ol' Mitt over the finish line.  And Limbaugh, Coulter, et al have said some things about McCain that they won't be able to easily take back.

by Nissl 2008-02-19 05:18PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

time to stop being afraid of them

right wing radio is going to savage either of our candidates...   but since they've been savaging McCain too....

time to embrace the idea that Democrats can, in fact, take our country back.

by its simple IF you ignore the complexity 2008-02-19 05:27PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Look, I'll buy that they'll tear down Obama, but Rush, et al are not going to build up Mccain, for god's sake they still hate Dubya's dad.

by Socraticsilence 2008-02-19 06:14PM | 0 recs
I do

agree that mccain SHOULD be easy to beat. BUT never count out the rightwing smear machine with KKKarl rove at the helm.

by kevin22262 2008-02-19 04:56PM | 0 recs
Re: I do

I know. But do you think John McCain will be anywhere even close to Clinton as an opponent?

All I can think of is Bill Clinton versus Bob Dole. The future versus the past.

McCain is looking backwards.

by Bob Johnson 2008-02-19 04:59PM | 0 recs
Re: I do

I do. Hillary Clinton is a much stronger candidate than McCain, but is nowhere near as ruthless as the Republican attack machine.

What the press has called Hillary Clinton's negativity is powerpuff compared with what the Republicans will do.

And the press won't be there to protect Obama the way they did this time. Every tiny allegation will play on FOX News on continuous loop until the other outlets feel compelled to talk about it.

It's possible the McCain campaign will be as inept as the Dole campaign was. But the Republicans have gotten a lot better at this since then.

by OrangeFur 2008-02-19 05:14PM | 0 recs
Re: I do

Yeah, they'll be nasty.

No doubt.

But they have one giant handicap: Their candidate is John McCain.

by Bob Johnson 2008-02-19 05:19PM | 0 recs
Re: I do

As partisans, I think we underestimate the appeal of McCain. He's a strong candidate. There's a reason there were people called McCainiacs in 2000.

And the press loves him. That counts for a lot.

by OrangeFur 2008-02-19 05:33PM | 0 recs
Re: I do

War, war and more war.

This is not 2000. McCain was eight years younger and still a "maverick." Now he's old Bush/war lover.

by Bob Johnson 2008-02-19 05:39PM | 0 recs
Re: I do

Exactly Mccain appealed to me on a base level (not on the issues) in 2000, but now's he's basically repudiated all he once held dear, it's going to be a continuous loop of the Bush hug, and 10,000 years in Iraq in the fall.

by Socraticsilence 2008-02-19 06:15PM | 0 recs
Re: I do

And look at how well the right wingers did in swiftboating Kerry, with the aid of the media morons, when they were running GWB.

Don't kid yourselves, people, this is going to be a stupefyingly ugly campaign, no matter who the Dems nominate.

by Lou Grinzo 2008-02-19 06:02PM | 0 recs

you forgot - MY FRIENDS

WAR, WAR, MY FRIENDS, WAR, ISLAMOMYFRIENDS (OOPS), WAR, MY FRIENDS, MY FRIENDS, WAR

by chriscizzila 2008-02-19 04:56PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

I heard a few minutes of McCain's speech on the way home from work.  I wanted someone on the dais next to him to check his pulse.  He sounds old, tired and boring.  Is he currently alive?

Can we at least put aside our differences for a minute or two, and agree that next to this zombie, either one of our candidates will come off great?   I can't wait to get it on in the general election, I really can't.

by slash1001 2008-02-19 04:56PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Agree. McCain is the second coming of Bob Dole.

by Bob Johnson 2008-02-19 05:00PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Actually I think McCain makes Bob Dole look exciting which isn't easy.

by John Mills 2008-02-19 05:09PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Honestly I think the GOP would do better if they ran the animatronic Reagan from the Hall of Presidents.

by Socraticsilence 2008-02-19 06:17PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

The problem is that I am getting old too. I'm 60+, and when I read about how boring, sad, used up and otherwise useless I am from people like yourself, well.... Even tho I have never voted Republican, I have also not been so consistently insulted by some such as yourselves on the blogs.  I always WORK (as in call, knock on doors, hold group meetings, etc.) for Democrats, but--to tell you the truth--the audacity (and not of hope), just the sheer audacity, attitude, authoritarianism, and arrogance sometimes displayed are more than "getting to me."  It may be that the division in our party now really is deeper than you think.  Be careful of a hollow victory.

by christinep 2008-02-19 05:21PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

My dad is 80 and he has a helluva' lot more energy than McCain.

Consider it a comment on McCain and not on older Americans.

by Bob Johnson 2008-02-19 05:41PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

I respectfully suggest that in that case we should talk about how awful McCain sounds without characterizing it as "old".

I've also noticed a ton of sneering comments about McCain's age, especially on dKos, and it's not pretty.  We're all better than that on this side of the aisle, and we should show it.

by Lou Grinzo 2008-02-19 06:05PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

As an alter kaaker for Obama I really would appreciate those snotty references to age be removed.

So, thank you for your post.

by mady 2008-02-19 07:11PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Absolutely not intended to besmirch McCain solely for being old.  As a geriatrician (honest!) I work with PLENTY of octagenarians more vibrant and engaging.

I simply meant to say that he SEEMS old in a very negative way -- meaning "out of touch" rather than experienced or wise.

Sorry if my comment came off as insensitive to more than Maverick.

by slash1001 2008-02-19 07:22PM | 0 recs
Good speech

His best since Iowa, IMHO.

by zonk 2008-02-19 04:56PM | 0 recs
Re: Good speech

Did you hear his SC victory speech?  That was historic, in my view.  This was good, but not great.

by HSTruman 2008-02-19 04:58PM | 0 recs
Re: Good speech

You're right.

I think this is a good GE tailored speech.

I think it's a pitch perfect answer to McCain's speech earlier tonight.

by zonk 2008-02-19 05:02PM | 0 recs
Re: Good speech

Agreed.  I really do think Obama relishes the contrasts he can draw with McCain.  I'm sure John will get his share of hits in as well, but from Iraq to the economy Obama is going to offer real and important distinctions.  In a year like 2008, that's exactly what we need.

by HSTruman 2008-02-19 05:09PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

I think the contrast between the roomful of supporters McCain has and the stadium cheering on Barack is a pretty good indicator of where the energy is in this country.

by animated 2008-02-19 04:58PM | 0 recs

OR THAT FACT THAT OBAMA GOT 3 TIMES AS MANY VOTES AS MCCAIN

by chriscizzila 2008-02-19 04:59PM | 0 recs
That's because the McCain supporters

have figured out that McCain will be their nominee.  So they voted for Obama in order to have their guy go up against the easier Democrat to defeat.

by Montague 2008-02-19 05:05PM | 0 recs
Re: That's because the McCain supporters

Why did the Democrats in Wisconsin vote for Obama?

Are they all covert Republicans?

by Kal 2008-02-19 05:07PM | 0 recs
Re: That's because the McCain supporters

You Clinton supporters are really having to stretch now. It's getting pathetic.

by godemsin08 2008-02-19 05:18PM | 0 recs
Stop condescending to us if

you want our votes.

by Montague 2008-02-22 08:53AM | 0 recs
Re: That's because the McCain supporters

That one is getting old and tired.

Obama beat Clinton among Democrats, too.

by Bob Johnson 2008-02-19 05:20PM | 0 recs
Meh

Obama is gonna looooooooooooooooose in November.

by Montague 2008-02-22 08:55AM | 0 recs
Re: That's because the McCain supporters

Read any of the right wing blogs.  They are unanimous in wanting to face Clinton in the general and have explicitly urged members to crossover and vote for her.

If electability matters to you, then Obama is the clear choice as all polling shows he does much better against McCain than Clinton.

by soccerandpolitics 2008-02-19 09:19PM | 0 recs
Edwards had the best chance to win

by Montague 2008-02-22 08:54AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Are you ready for change?

Hope, hope, hope, blah, blah, blah

He's all of a sudden wearing a bracelet from a dead soldier just like a republican counterpart. this man doesn't have original idea in his head.

More slogans...health care system...disease care system...

by americanincanada 2008-02-19 04:59PM | 0 recs
Bitter Much n/t

by parahammer 2008-02-19 05:00PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

So essentially -- you're waiting for Ross Perot to show up with pie charts and powerpoints?

It's a victory speech... a stump speech - what exactly do you expect?  Slides?  Budget projections?

by zonk 2008-02-19 05:01PM | 0 recs
He soars

This is why I don't think McCain's lines of attack will get him or the GOP anywhere.

Obama flies over the rhetoric of attack politics.

We need to move away from a "red meat" mindset... Right now - while McCain is desperately trying to scare the conservatives into lining up behind him, Obama is stealing independents in droves.

by zonk 2008-02-19 04:59PM | 0 recs

SOLUTIONS! SOLUTIONS! SOLUTIONS!

SOLUTIONS HERE, GET YOUR FRESH ROASTED SOLUTIONS!
SOLUTIONS HERE!

by chriscizzila 2008-02-19 05:00PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

More details than you can shake a stick at here:

The details are mind-numbingly boring. But the notion that Obama hasn't provided details is simply false. He's just not stupid enough to think they make a good stump speech.

by mhojo 2008-02-19 05:02PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Exactly. The problem with Democratic candidates has always been the inability to sell themselves. Mondale, Dukakis, Gore, Kerry all had good ideas but couldn't get their message across in an attractive way. Obama, like Bill Clinton, has the ideas and plans AND the pitch.

by conspiracy 2008-02-19 05:07PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

looks like your voting for McCain.  We are 14 days away from ending Hillary's carrer, get onboard or get left with McCain.  We have all but won, after beating slash and burn billary, McCain really shouldnt be that hard

by affratboy22 2008-02-19 05:27PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

What a pathetic response.  I thought that the Obama supporters were the cultists and the Clinton supporters were all experienced and wise.

by rfahey22 2008-02-19 08:51PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Change, change, change - WAAA!!! All he talks about is change. whaaaa!!!!

what, women went for obama over clinton in wisconsin?
low income voters did too?
democrats did?
college students?
whites?

but, but, but - all he says is change

by chriscizzila 2008-02-19 05:02PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Mark Penn remark from Ohio - "Houston, we have a problem"

by chriscizzila 2008-02-19 05:04PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

McCain is going to have a hard time attacking the change Obama calls for - in health care costs, education, energy policy, foreign policy...  The Democrats get to be positive this election while the Republicans attack attack - I don't think it's a good strategy for Clinton nor will it be for McCain.

by Mr DC 2008-02-19 05:04PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Attacks and negative campaigns work. They always work. Just look at what happened in this primary. Demonizing Clintons worked perfectly for Obama. Too bad.

by praxis1 2008-02-19 05:16PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

I am not the perfect vessel?!

Good god...could he use more platitudes?

by americanincanada 2008-02-19 05:05PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

I'm still thinking it will wear thin. People don't like being lectured at. But it might not be until after the general election.

by bigbay 2008-02-19 05:10PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

nice - talking about the money blown in iraq

this will really hit home with people and is a STARK contrast to grandpa

by chriscizzila 2008-02-19 05:08PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Because Clinton not only sounds like Bush on foreign policy, but acts like Bush on foreign policy, too.

Once Obama starts preaching about getting rid of the Capital Gains tax, give me a call.

by Kal 2008-02-19 05:10PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

"Part of keeping you safe is deploying our troops wisely. The war in Iraq was a mistake."

by animated 2008-02-19 05:11PM | 0 recs
The war in Iraq was unwise

Never should have been authorized, never should have been waged.

John McCain wants to stay for another 100 years.

This will give the voters a very clear choice.

by Bill White 2008-02-19 05:11PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Todd -- to answer your last question, maybe its b/c Obama's economic ideas are - in essence - still progressive.  However they're framed.  And, by the way, I take exception to the idea that what he just said is right wing rhetorically.  He's talking about government being an agent for empowering individuals.  What's wrong with that?

by HSTruman 2008-02-19 05:12PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

He will show his wonk side in the debates.

by mainelib 2008-02-19 05:12PM | 0 recs
exactly

one thing is clear. the obama campaign's strategic thinking is clearly superior. I think they knew that in the primary was going to be about inspiration, etc. no way he wins by out wonking clinton. but I the general election he has a clear advantage in both policy and rhetoric.

by highgrade 2008-02-19 05:27PM | 0 recs
Re-read your Lakoff, Jonathon

His huffpo posting explains it all.

by zonk 2008-02-19 05:12PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

How many times is he going to say, "If you are ready for change"?

How many different people is he going to quote?

How long is this speech going to go on?

by americanincanada 2008-02-19 05:13PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

As long as it takes.  He's introducing himself to the voters of Texas tonight.

Snark aside, it is going on for a while.

by swarty 2008-02-19 05:17PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Because when she walks the talk on foreign policy like Bush.

by bzbergmann 2008-02-19 05:14PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Todd, C'mon.  That's BS.  What he talks about economically isn't a right-wing frame.  It's a critical part of the American dream.

by Cycloptichorn 2008-02-19 05:14PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

A critical part of American dream = small government? That's exactly the GOP talking point.

by praxis1 2008-02-19 05:17PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Oh, he said small government?  You sure about that?  B/c I've been listening to his speech, and I'm pretty sure he didn't say that.

by Cycloptichorn 2008-02-19 05:18PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Righ, calling for government intervention is advocating for smaller government.  Thanks for that translation.

More seriously, he's making the point that progressive government is not in conflict with the free market or a productive business environment.  You know...because it's not.

by HSTruman 2008-02-19 05:19PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

this speech is long as hell.

by omar little 2008-02-19 05:16PM | 0 recs
Yes, it is...

and there's a reason for that. He has a lot of good policies, and is going over them piece-by-piece in this speech. If he didn't have many policies, this speech would be brief. His positions are there, and therefore this speech is looooong.

by BrioHondo 2008-02-19 05:18PM | 0 recs
Damned if you do, damned if you don't
Pithy and inspiring="all hype no substance"
comprehensive and detailed ="too long and boring"
by Jumbo 2008-02-19 05:21PM | 0 recs
Re: Damned if you do, damned if you don't

dude im an obama supporter, im just saying, objectively, this speech is long as hell.

by omar little 2008-02-19 05:22PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

It's a campaign rally, not a victory speech. It'll probably be about an hour.

by OrangeFur 2008-02-19 05:24PM | 0 recs

true.

by omar little 2008-02-19 05:28PM | 0 recs
This speech is simply...

a POLICY tour de force. He's going over his policies, so the attack that he's all words won't stick anymore.

And you know what? He's nailing this one in doing it.

by BrioHondo 2008-02-19 05:16PM | 0 recs
Answers

Q. why is it OK with progressives that he does this on domestic issues, but not OK when Hillary Clinton "sounds like George Bush" on foreign policy?

A. Wars kill, taxes don't.

by Jumbo 2008-02-19 05:18PM | 0 recs
Re: Answers

i fucking second that.

by omar little 2008-02-19 05:24PM | 0 recs
Re: When the fuck will this guy stop?

They are staying with it because there is no news to report. He won and they got nuthin.

by swarty 2008-02-19 05:19PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

The man can hold an audience for over half and hour.

He's got a gift.

by Kal 2008-02-19 05:19PM | 0 recs
On Todd's point

Just came in here to look at this after listening to speech.  Have to say amused, because as I heard that line, I saw him trying to bring in republican voters over to liberal domestic agenda.  I heard it as saying I love the free market too, but we gotta do something to fix it..

That was my quick reaction, far different than yours, but I do get your reaction as well (the advantage of not being 100% sold on my candidate)

by labor nrrd 2008-02-19 05:20PM | 0 recs
Damn

So pissy. Grrr!

by Jumbo 2008-02-19 05:20PM | 0 recs
How can he look at "almost nobody"

when there are 25,000 people surrounding him?

The reason this speech looks different is he isn't using a teleprompter. You're used to seeing candidates use a teleprompter (which is usually aligned with the camera).

That's why his sight-lines look weird.

by BrioHondo 2008-02-19 05:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

I am really lookin forward to the spin on this by the Clinton campaign...and by the mydd site as well.

by YoungDemnCA 2008-02-19 05:21PM | 0 recs

Excuse me.

Now I agree that it's problematic that he has used right wing talking points in the past, but this is just bullshit.

Saying you believe in the free market and self reliance is not a right wing talking point. If you think that is a right wing frame then you would probably kick out 95% of Democrats out of the party. He is CLEARLY stating that there is a problem with greed capitalism in the next sentense and to claim that there is anything controversial about saying he believes in the free market is absurd. What do you want him to say? I believe in the socialist ideal of command and control?

Puh lease.

by need some wood 2008-02-19 05:21PM | 0 recs

EXCUSE ME.

"free" market and 'self-reliance' ARE right wing talking points and have been for many many years.

Try reading Schlesinger's Collapse of the Old Order and The Coming of a New Deal.

Kick out 95%?  I don't think so. Not in the Democratic party I belong to. My Democratic Party still supports the New Deal.

Take a good look at Obama's economic advisors.  David Cutler, Austen Goolsbee and Jeffrey Liebman; all 'free' market right-of-center economists.

Free market means free for all, winner take all, no limits, great if you're rich and self-reliance only works if you were born on third base.

The rest of us aren't 'self-reliant,' it takes a community.

by cal1942 2008-02-19 09:21PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Obama gets an entire rally carried on national TV. Not bad.

by animated 2008-02-19 05:23PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

When will this rambling speech end.  If he wins, we'll be back to the 2 hour endless speeches of Bill Clinton.  Painful.

by KensUSA 2008-02-19 05:23PM | 0 recs
Speech Thread

Maybe now the good people who are administrators here at MYDD can stop bothering with all the polls and analysis of same?   They are pretty much useless in analyzing a populist movement like Obama is leading.

by global yokel 2008-02-19 05:25PM | 0 recs
Re: Speech Thread

Agreed,  Yokel.

With every single primary he eats into her base. Soon there will be nothing left.

She will need to go nuclear on him to even try and keep OH & TX in her column.  If she loses either one of them, she will need to take a very long look at her future. She could get out with dignity and become the new lion of the Senate and run again.  But to try and fight this to the bitter end and still lose will destroy her future.

by swarty 2008-02-19 05:37PM | 0 recs
Re: Speech Thread

Clinton will get out after March 4 if she loses either Texas or Ohio.  Momentum and superdelegates will be flowing Obama's way in the next two weeks and his lead in pledged delelgates will be unsurpassable if Clinton doesn't make big gains on 3/4.  Clinton will then either bow out gracefully and be a dutiful Democrat or she'll prove the allegation that she's all about self and power.

by soccerandpolitics 2008-02-19 09:31PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

What policy? Most of that speech was hope...change..our time is now...not a perfect vessel...blah, blah

by americanincanada 2008-02-19 05:28PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

You can always vote for McCain.

Mr anti choice, 100 years war, endless Bush tax cuts.

The Democrat is the better choice for us all.

by swarty 2008-02-19 05:39PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

I don't support McCain but the "100" years of war is an empty criticism. His point about staying in Iraq for that long was in comparison to other commitments we have made, such as being in Korea for the last 50 years as evidence that we can have bases or troops in a country and be their friend as long as we are not in a combat situation and we are an asset to stability in the region.  I trust our troops to be peacemakers.  Anyone who thinks he meant that we would be fighting for 100 years is childish.

by KensUSA 2008-02-19 05:49PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

I actually don't see that as much better.  I would rather have troops home in 5 years than have some peacekeeping force there for 100 years.

by rfahey22 2008-02-19 08:54PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

The point is that nobody cares that we have had bases or troops in Korea, Germany, Philippines, etc for years and years because there is not combat going on there.  As long as they are under fire in Iraq, then then the left can use it as a wedge issue.  If violence stops and thus nothing reported in the news, nobody will care if we have a base in Iraq with a few thousand troops for 200 years.

by KensUSA 2008-02-20 03:33AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

We've had bases in South Korea, Germany and Japan following conflicts that are over. And because of the Cold war. Over because of a win and in one case a draw.

Iraq is not over.  I understand what McCain was talking about but the only way this conflict is over is for us to leave just as we had to leave Vietnam.  Don't see any of our bases there do ya.

by cal1942 2008-02-19 09:03PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

I don't think you want to go there cal.  Yeah.. we left Vietnam completely and what happened?  Thousands and thousands dead and/or interned in re-education camps, continuation of brutal communist regimes.  We as Americans did a good job glossing over this or just dismissing this forced misery out of hand due to our wonderful public education system and our ignorant main-stream-media.

The bottom line is nobody with any sense believes that we will have 150,000 troops in Iraq for 100 years.  The point was that we could "be there" with a footprint if that's what it takes to stabilize the region.

by KensUSA 2008-02-20 03:27AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Why so hateful toward Obama?  Do you rather have McVain as the prez?  I don't hate Hillary.  In fact, I feel bad to be against her but her tactics have been very negative in this campaign.

by sbbonerad 2008-02-19 05:44PM | 0 recs
apparently, you weren't listening...

he went over positions on energy and the environment, immigration, the economy, education, etc.

And yes, he also talked about the morals and ideals behind his policies and that have been driving his campaign. And if you don't like people that do that, you're not going to vote for many victors in this country.

by BrioHondo 2008-02-19 05:53PM | 0 recs
Re: When the fuck will this guy stop?

yes, it's horrible for a Democrat to get national airtime to define himself, expand the party, and challenge the GOP on turf we've yielded to them for decades.

just horrible.

by its simple IF you ignore the complexity 2008-02-19 05:32PM | 0 recs
Re: When the fuck will this guy stop?

The funny thing is that this speech is longer because it has the very substance people said he lacked.

by Socraticsilence 2008-02-19 06:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Matthews just schooled this State Senator when he asked him if he could name ONE accomplishment for Barack Obama.

Wow. The state senator just got schooled.

by falcon4e 2008-02-19 05:57PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Why even bring on a small time state senator from Texas to defend Obama? The Clinton defender was a U.S. Congresswoman from Ohio who is very involved in her campaign vs. this guy who is a supporter.

I thought that Matthews went over the line and unnecessarily mean to that poor guy.  Keith Olbermann reminded Matthews afterwards that this is election return coverage, not Hardball.

by sbbonerad 2008-02-19 06:15PM | 0 recs
Re: Oh yeah and I

toured my mansion with Rezko. Forgot to mention that earlier. Sorry.

by doyenne49 2008-02-19 05:58PM | 0 recs
FAIR TRADE

NOT fucking Free Trade!

People think Clinton changes her message, well SO Does Obama! Where ever he is, his message changes to try and appease the locals. In  TX it is BIG oil and fat cat CEO's.

by kevin22262 2008-02-19 06:35PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

"... why is he so intent on changing right-wing foreign policy conventional wisdom yet so content to buy into right-wing frames on domestic policy, from taxes to Social Security to healthcare and now government, in what he considers to be a winning strategy; why is it OK with progressives that he does this on domestic issues ... "

A major puzzle. But a few thoughts.

The media and too many left-of-center bloggers peddled the notion that Edwards', Clinton's and Obama's domestic policy/agenda were nearly identical.  That was always nonsense from the start. There were and are very wide differences.  See especially the response to the mortgage crisis from Edwards, Clinton and Obama.  Incredible gap and telling.  See also Edwards', Clinton's and Obama's take on heading off/reversing a possible serious recession.  The gulf is enormous and even more telling.  The list goes on and what appears to some media types as small differences in other areas are, on examination, huge.  Put aside the mandate/no mandate debate in healthcare and notice that Edwards had a government health insurer to compete with private insurers.  In time, no constest, we'd have single-payer.  Clinton also had a government insurer in her plan.  Obama had none and in fact one of his economic advisors, David Cutler, promotes keeping health care industry profits at a very high level. It gets worse when Obama's other economic advisors Austen Goolsbee and Jeffrey Liebman (who promotes Social Security privatization) round out the three man right-of-center free market economics team.  In much of the critical economic policy areas this group is as right-wing as Bush & Co.  In short, the media and many left-of-center bloggers sold the 'very little difference' meme and it stuck. For this reason I think that his supporters manage to ignore much of this even when they hear it in his speeches.

All too many of Obama's supporters project. I've seen this even among intelligent people who should know better.  I know a couple of lawyers, involved in Democratic politics, who stare back in disbelief when you lay out Obama's real positions. I think the rhetoric and the books have caused them to project their own policy beliefs on a man who has completely opposite intentions.  When you point it all out they get angry.  It's as bad as pointing out inconvenient facts to Bush supporters.  They get furious.  People really hate to have their myths shattered.

There is also the fresh face phenomenon, that may count for more today than at any time in the past. He's the new face with a very very thin record and people don't stop to think about what he's really saying.

The foreign policy gimmick is, I believe, just that. Remember that through much of 2007 he wasn't all that eager to pull troops out of Iraq with all dispatch. When he sensed that people honed in on Clinton's vote, he emphasized that and went straightaway to a policy of more rapid withdrawal. Actually Clinton has adopted a rapid withdrawal plan as well and in this one area they may actually be very close.

Going one step further I believe that many of his supporters see Iraq as the ONLY issue in the campaign.  Especially those well-to-do independents, many of the very young and the previously uninvolved who've flocked to his banner. These people don't even bother to listen to domestic matters.

Amazing that as it's gotten down to these two, Hillary Clinton is the liberal. How's that for irony? The other irony is that the truly transformative candidate was always John Edwards. An Edwards win would have meant a federal government turned completely around, a new governing consensus established.

It should be remembered that Hillary Clinton has an big popular vote lead among Democrats.  Even after tonight she still leads in this category by well over 600,000 votes.

After this one is over, party leaders are going to have to sit down and really think through the whole primary process.  This may be one area where both parties can agree.

by cal1942 2008-02-19 08:55PM | 0 recs