McCain Went There

And here's my reward for remaining optimistic that John McCain wouldn't scorch the earth in the last 26 days of the election:

Right now this smear is just an online ad, but word is there will also be a shorter TV version.

Since he's way behind in ad spending (3-1 Obama), McCain's trying to hijack a news cycle or two for loads of free national air time. Will national political media take the bate and rerun clips of the smear over and over?

McCain and Palin have a rally together in Waukesha, WI at around Noon Central time. The safe money says they'll get some live national coverage - but will the Ayers attack come out of McCain's mouth? Will Palin hit even harder?

Looks like I picked the wrong week to...

(Full script of the Ayers hit after the fold)

Update [2008-10-9 11:11:51 by Josh Orton]: One more point: there's a real malignant consequence to attacks like this. Many watch these attacks and see a big green light from the McCain campaign to engage in all sorts of ugly behavior. From a local Ohio blogger outside a Palin rally:

Update [2008-10-9 11:13:36 by Josh Orton]: And another example more in Pennsylvania. Ugly.

Script For "Ayers" (WEB :90)

ANNCR: Barack Obama and domestic terrorist Bill Ayers. Friends. They've worked together for years.

But Obama tries to hide it. Why?

Obama launched his political career in Ayers' living room.

Ayers and Obama ran a radical "education" foundation, together.

They wrote the foundation's by-laws, together.

Obama was the foundation's first chairman.

Reports say they, "distributed more than $100 million to ideological allies with no discernible improvement in education."

When their relationship became an issue, Obama just responded, "This is a guy who lives in my neighborhood."

That's it?

We know Bill Ayers ran the "violent left wing activist group" called Weather Underground.

We know Ayers' wife was on the FBI's 10 Most Wanted list.

We know they bombed the Capitol. The Pentagon. A judge's home.

We know Ayers said, "I don't regret setting bombs. .... I feel we didn't do enough."

But Obama's friendship with terrorist Ayers isn't the issue.

The issue is Barack Obama's judgment and candor.

When Obama just says, "This is a guy who lives in my neighborhood."

Americans say, "Where's the truth, Barack?"

Barack Obama. Too risky for America.

JOHN MCCAIN: I'm John McCain and I approve this message.

Tags: Election 08, John McCain (all tags)

Comments

Re: McCain Went There

I'm interested in knowing why, if Obama and Ayers are so tight, the Republicans couldn't find a single picture with them together.  I mean really, this guilt by association is going to backfire.

by Vox Populi 2008-10-09 06:45AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain Went There

There are republican elected officials that sit on the same committee with the same Bill Ayers.  Let's ask them whether they're palling around with a domestic terrorist or if this is just silly.

by lockewasright 2008-10-09 07:12AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain Went There

McCain himself just accepted an endorsement from Leonore Annenberg, who is a trustee of the Annenberg Foundation.  He's playing with fire here.

by writerswrite 2008-10-09 07:35AM | 0 recs
The Annenberg Foundation?

I know they're GOPers, but not much more than that.

What is the controversy? (I would like to know)

by iohs2008 2008-10-09 08:13AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain Went There

I think this is a great approach, if they'll do it anyway. Get all of them, cite Annenberg, etc, talking about how this is not some radical leftist foundation, how it was founded by a Republican, how it's exactly the sort of bipartisan effort that McCain claims to champion.

Then on the other front, continue to slam McCain as hard as possible for the cowardly way he's advancing this story. If he "approves this message" it should be coming from his mouth, and he should've raised it in the last debate. There were certainly points at which he could've raised it, as off-topic as they both went. And, if it's really all that big a deal, he should've just said, "Tom, I know it's not in the rules, but this is just too important to let rules get in the way. My opponent <insert Ayers smear>."

Hit it on the merits, and hit it on McCain's behavior. Don't just defend -- both of those turn into counter-attacks, one hitting McCain's alleged bipartisanship and one hitting his character.

by Texas Gray Wolf 2008-10-09 08:12AM | 0 recs
How 'bout this?

Good points on the Ayers controversy, the Annenberg connection seems to undermine the whole argument.  But it seems to me, since we are on character issues, the real issue is McCain's temperment.  It's the narrative everyone already believes:

I can just see McCain responding, well, angrily.

by Shaun Appleby 2008-10-09 08:54AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain Went There

Is this the "october surprise" that had all the freepers giddy last night?

If that's all they've got, we are in pretty good shape, don't you think?

If there's going to be an "October surprise" they need to roll it out pretty quickly, 'cos they are running out of time to change the subject!

by LordMike 2008-10-09 06:48AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain Went There

Octobher surprise comes tomorrow for Palin when the Troppergate fiasco gets an info dump.  Gonna hard to steal the news cycle with that gorrilla in the room.

by lockewasright 2008-10-09 07:13AM | 0 recs
A Few Good Men
Although I take it out of context, this quote by (albeit, the villain) Col. Jessup is germane:
"Now, are these the questions I was really called here to answer? Phone calls and foot lockers? Please tell me that you have something more, Lieutenant. These two Marines are on trial for their lives. Please tell me their lawyer hasn't pinned their hopes to a phone bill.

by iohs2008 2008-10-09 08:22AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain Went There

What did this thing say about how the nefarious joint activities of Ayers and Obama on this board were funded?

By the same people who funded Ronald Reagan's elections, going back to the gubernatorial campaigns in California... Mr. & Mrs. Walter Annenberg. Radical group?

I am sick of this cretin, and his sidekick.  I think it is time to go thermonuclear.

I just thought McCain was an out of touch, doddering old man, who might have brought Palin onto the ticket, because Cindy is no longer the sweet nubile little blonde he cheated on his first wife with.

Now that McCain's liaisons with that hot little lobbyist a few months ago, Cindy Isemann (was that her name) had to come to an end, maybe the old fighter pilot needed a place to deploy his old fighter joystick.  Cindy is getting old after all.

McCain is an unprincipled piece of shit.  America needs to have him exposed for the unprincipled piece of shit he is.

Time to go thermonuclear.  Singlaub.  Rev. Hagee.  Rev. Parsley.  Infidelity.  Keating.  Abramoff.  Associations with anti-semites and racists.

He took his gloves off.  We should too.

jfrankesq

by jfrankesq 2008-10-09 06:57AM | 0 recs
It's Vicky Iseman

And thermonuclear is a dumb idea.

McCain's grasping at straws now.  Don't equate desperation with effectiveness.

by Dracomicron 2008-10-09 07:15AM | 0 recs
Re: It's Vicky Iseman

I said this upthread, but it bears repeating.

This is a cowardly attack, intended to raise vague fears in voters and advanced by a candidate who didn't say it directly to Obama given the chance.

The proper response here is to point out at every possible turn "John McCain is acting like a coward". Because he is, and anyone can see it. I don't think it'll play well at all that the alleged maverick, the tough military guy, can't even call out an allegedly milquetoast pinko liberal to his face -- and remember, he's already had two chances and failed (Ayers was plenty out there before the first debate).

In terms of McCain's personality, that's arguably going thermonuclear, though not the way it was meant. But it's the perfect counter -- it transforms a fairly weak character attack on Obama into a firm, direct character attack on McCain.

by Texas Gray Wolf 2008-10-09 08:23AM | 0 recs
I just don't want to overreact

You're right, it's reasonable to throw this back in McCain's face, even at the last debate (though the formats of the last debates have not been condusive to them actually confronting each other), but going after McCain on stuff like Vicky Iseman is just stupid, because it legitimizes that sort of line of attack, when we should be criticizing McCain for trying to change the subject and hitting below the belt.

by Dracomicron 2008-10-09 08:26AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain Went There

I can't wait to hear McCain explain why he believes that the bi-partisan Annenburg (as in rightwing Republican leader) foundation is "radical."  That should be some interesting verbal/mental gymnastics.

by proseandpromise 2008-10-09 07:06AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain Went There

Now, I'm getting pissed... I lost sleep for THIS???  THIS is the October surprise?  No wonder freepers were making fun of McCain last night... he really is that lame and inept!

by LordMike 2008-10-09 07:11AM | 0 recs
Here is what you do....

Run a commercial saying that John McCain...

1. Voted to raise taxes on those making as little as $42,000 (then site the same vote on the amendment that both he and Obama voted for without mentioning Obama).

1. Voted to cut funding for our troops in Iraq (site the funding bill that had the timetable that he voted against).
  2. accepted the endorsement of the founder of a Foundation that has a terrorist as a member (and site McCain's own add).
  3. is often on stage with a person who is in an intimate relationship with a member of an organization that wants to end the sovereignty of the USA (show Todd Palin's AIP membership.

Say nothing else, let him try to defend these claims without clearing Obama as well.

P.S. For Mrs. McSame. Someone from the campaign should ask Cindy in which one of the 13 houses can he find the shoes to borrow.

by IowaMike 2008-10-09 07:39AM | 0 recs
Re: Here is what you do....

I'm for it just for the sheer spectacle all that steam coming out of McCain's ears would be.

Oh, and as I've said before -- call McCain a coward, too.

by Texas Gray Wolf 2008-10-09 08:24AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain Went There

The Ayers thing might be more effective if they didn't have to explain who he is and what the Weather Underground was.  I mean, they are tying ot a boogie man that few people have ever heard of (or maybe I'm too young).

Anyway, the blogger could easily ask the question, "when is the first time you hear of Ayers or Weather Underground".  It'd be during the Dem primary for me.

McCain is going to look like a serious punk, if he doesn't confront Obama directly in the next debate.  Even if he doesn't bring it up I think this ad will cause Obama to bring it up and punk McCain anyway.

by nintendofanboy 2008-10-09 07:52AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain Went There

Unfortunately, you're too young - these people were relevant for my parents' generation, who are the swing votes :(.  But it's such a stretch that I hold out hope that this isn't going to be a huge hit.

by auronrenouille 2008-10-09 11:09AM | 0 recs
Oh, but there's more from Strongsville, Ohio.

Here's the second part of his video.

by BruinKid 2008-10-09 07:53AM | 0 recs
Time Magazine

http://www.time-blog.com/swampland/2008/ 10/is_john_mccain_supported_by_te.html

Is John McCain Supported By Terrorist Supporters? Nah.

This morning John McCain put out a list of 100 former ambassadors who are supporting his campaign. Number two is Leonore Annenberg, the wife of Ambassador William Annenberg, the founder of the Annenberg Institute of Reform, which funded the Annenberg Challenge, which once had two famous board members: former "domestic terrorist" William Ayers and Sen. Barack Obama.

So either we should all be outraged that John McCain is supported by a family who funded a foundation that hired a domestic terrorist, or this whole William Ayers thing is just plain silly. I choose the latter.

by NeciVelez 2008-10-09 08:15AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain Went There

I live in West Virginia. Fortunately my town, Shepherdstown, is relatively progressive, due to the presence of the Shepherd University Community and a large quantity of artists and theatre people (we are the home of the Contemporary American Theater Festival every year, drawing thousands from around the country each year for a month of new plays).

West Virginia, however, despite having a Democratic Governor and two Democratic Senators, scores very red in the Presidential Polls (50% McCain to 44% Obama in the current Rasmussen reading), due, I think, to our really close to poverty populace... at best lower-middle-class... and all the conservative fears that go with it.

I work in Hagerstown, Maryland, about 14 miles away, in that Democratic state's heaviest Republican area - Washington County. As I cross the bridge over the Potomac each day to head from WV to MD, I go through Sharpsburg through endless displays of McCain/Palin signs. There are 2 or 3 very small towns I go through as well, often stopping for coffee at small establishments on the way.

I hear a lot of talk.

Listening to call-in shows on the car radio, I'm hearing endless local comments that Obama was brought up as a muslim, that he favors Al Qu'ida, that he has the most liberal voting record in the Senate (in reality, he is seventh in line of others who are much more liberal), that he votes against the troops, that he pals around with William Ayers - a terrorist!, that he is involved with criminals, the mafia, Tony Rezco, etc. etc.

These are not people who read my blog, I know. Nor do they watch television other than Fox, apparently. They cannot be spoken to (I've tried on several frustrating occasions - but backing up truth with proof is utterly meaningless.)

And, underneath, there is certainly a racial element affecting all of the arguments. This scares me the most, not because I am of a minority race, I'm not, but because of where such feelings can lead in the future. The recent Sean Hannity show, with anti-Jewish statements which were thrown back in Sean's face by Obama's Communications Director, Robert Gibbs, is a case in point. If we use racial reasons for backing or attacking candidates, why not use religious or cultural reasons? Why not cop America up into separate components that can't work together, can't appreciate each other and, finally, can't live in peace with each other?

My wife is a secular Jew, my son is, therefore, half Jewish. I am an atheist... does this mean I can't get along with the tremendous volume of born-again Christians who are waiting here in WV for the Second Coming?

What people say, devoid of reason, can indeed make one crazy... it keeps me awake at night, thinking about the voices on the radio and the people yelling "Kill Him" and "Terrorist" and "Traitor" at Sarah Palin rallies. It makes me crazy to hear the things both Palin and McCain say at these rallies, or in interviews with the seemingly anti-semitic Sean Hannity, yet cannot say directly into Obama's or Biden's faces at their televised debates. Such cowardice is something to be afraid of, since cowards are folks who shoot in the back, as I recall from growing up with western movies and folk songs (like "That dirty little coward/who shot Mr.Howard/ and laid poor Jesse in his grave".)

With 26 days to go, I'm expecting it to get much, much worse.

Under The LobsterScope

by btchakir 2008-10-09 08:20AM | 0 recs
What else is there?

All that's left is for McCain to come out and call him a n***.

by iohs2008 2008-10-09 08:26AM | 0 recs
McCain, McSame

The Karl Rove contributions to his political party, that are ending in its ignominious defeat and destruction - are precisely what McCain is adopting for his endgame.

In 2000, Karl Rove engineered a calling campaign that asked voters.."If you knew that John McCain fathered an illegitimate black child, would you vote for him?"

And then he proceeded to take leverage from photographs showing his precious little bengali adopted child, Bridget (I think thats her name), who has very dark skin.  With McCains convincing win over Bush in the NH primary, Karl Rove went back to his style of attack politics that helped put a lesser candidate into power, McCain lost the primary, and Bush went on to become the worst president in American history, bar none.

I believe that John McCain, in handing his campaign over to the same type of people he fought in 2000 , is writing his political epitath.

Because John McCain helped try to hide Keating, in the famous S+L Crash of earlier yore, served on the Commerce committee and fought regulation and commonsense rules of the road that would have prevented this current financial crash -

John McCain , like Karl Rove, and the Bin Ladens, who are all friends of George Bush - are living by this piece of advice, if you ask me

The quickest way to destroy America is to destroy their economy. - Osama Bin Laden, Oct. 2001

Karl Rove knows he will be remembered harshly and he has a lot to worry about from his own party. There are true conservatives out there, with which I have no argument today - who are tired of smokescreens and the destruction of our fine country.

He who laughs last. Laughs loudest.

by Trey Rentz 2008-10-09 08:25AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain Went There

These people are going to have 'Don't blame me I voted McCain" stickers on their cars on Wednesday November 5.

Worse than that, they are going to spend the next four years referring to Obama as the terrorist in Chief, or the CNIC.

I admit that these do not represent the majority of people who are going to vote McCain, but they are a majority of the base.  Until the GOP can shake itself loose of these people, it should not even be considered a viable American Party.  These are not the kind of people that Buckley would ever have wanted to be on 'his side'.

I just wish more of those Buckley style conservatives would recognize what has happened to their party and stop supporting it.

by gavoter 2008-10-09 09:56AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain Went There
The videos from Strongsville, OH and Under the LobsterScope's story from West Virginia are chilling.

There is no doubt: Palin and McCain are desperate and they are stirring up hatred, threats and lies at their events. We need to stand up and let them know that this is unacceptable.

Progressive Future has an action page that makes it easy to send an email to McCain telling him that we can see what he is doing -- and it needs to stop. Now. You can check it out here.

by ProgressiveReb 2008-10-09 11:29AM | 0 recs
&quot;He has the bloodlines&quot;

Creepiest comment of all from the Palin mob. Just disgusting.

And wrt why McCain thinks the Annenberg Foundation is radical ... well, he did once support dismantling the Department of Education, so he may consider the notion of universal education itself to be somewhat radical.

by Natasha Chart 2008-10-09 12:44PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain Went There

Hey, thanks for the link and the promo for that video.  798 MyDD readers have watched it so far today.  The video was made by Mike Morrill of Keystone Progress to give credit where credit's due.

by PA progressive 2008-10-09 02:01PM | 0 recs

Look at how they distort the face at 1:10

by bg108 2008-10-09 03:51PM | 0 recs
Free media

>Will national political media take the [bait] and rerun clips of the smear over and over?

With a political media with no soul and no conscience, what do you think?

by JD Lasica 2008-10-09 07:54PM | 0 recs