More strange scheduling from the McCain-Palin campaign

The latest Iowa poll (from SUSA) shows Barack Obama leading John McCain 55 percent to 40 percent. Obama leads 48-46 among men and 61-34 among women. Most significantly, Obama is beating McCain by 40 points among the 32 percent of respondents who told Survey USA they've already voted.

Yet Sarah Palin is coming back to Iowa on Monday to headline a rally in Dubuque.

What's really weird is that Dubuque, along the Mississippi River across from Wisconsin and Illinois, is in the uncompetitive first Congressional district (Bruce Braley, D). It's far from the central and north-central population centers in the fourth district, where Becky Greenwald is challenging Tom Latham, and farther from the fifth district, where Rob Hubler is taking on Steve "10 worst" King.

Your guess is as good as mine.

While I have your attention, please kick in a few bucks to Becky Greenwald and Rob Hubler so they can run more tv ads during the final stretch. You can view Greenwald's final ad here and read the script here. Hubler's tv ad is here (scroll down past the text of the Des Moines Register's endorsement editorial). The Ames Progressive blog recently featured these races too.

Tags: 2008 elections, Barack Obama, Becky Greenwald, Congress, House, IA-04, IA-05, Iowa, John McCain, Rob Hubler, Sarah Palin, Steve King, Tom Latham (all tags)

Comments

Re: More strange scheduling from the McCain-Palin

Laying the groundwork for 2012?

by Lolis 2008-10-30 06:20PM | 0 recs
Re: More strange scheduling from the McCain-Palin

Send her where she can't do more damage:-\

by nintendofanboy 2008-10-30 06:32PM | 0 recs
Re: More strange scheduling

Perhaps Steve King considers Palin too liberal to pal around with.

by Steve M 2008-10-30 06:38PM | 0 recs
Re: More strange scheduling from the McCain-Palin

Good point.  But why is Obama going to Iowa on Friday?

by triebensee 2008-10-30 06:38PM | 0 recs
Re: More strange scheduling from the McCain-Palin

To makes sure the state doesn't think it's taken for granted...  After all, the McPalin campaign has been going nuts there...

by LordMike 2008-10-30 06:53PM | 0 recs
to help Greenwald and Hubler

That's my opinion, anyway.

by desmoinesdem 2008-10-30 07:13PM | 0 recs
Re: More strange scheduling from the McCain-Palin

I remember reading that he's going there to make up a visit he canceled when he visited his grandmother.

Can't vouch for the accuracy, but that's what I read.

by Bush Bites 2008-10-30 07:15PM | 0 recs
true, but even when that visit was scheduled

Obama was leading McCain by double digits in Iowa according to the polling average.

I think this is about coat-tails and bringing more Democrats into Congress. Obama was just in Minnesota doing a rally with Al Franken, I think for the same reason.

by desmoinesdem 2008-10-30 07:21PM | 0 recs
Re: More strange scheduling

I don't think that that's it - he canceled visits to Wisconsin, too, but didn't return for strategic reasons.  I imagine that he's in Iowa for good luck (since that's where his campaign got off the ground), and/or to make sure Iowans know that they aren't being taken for granted.

by rfahey22 2008-10-30 07:51PM | 0 recs
Re: More strange scheduling from the McCain-Palin

So he can get back to Illinois and take the girls trick-or-treating.

by mistersite 2008-10-30 09:28PM | 0 recs
Re: More strange scheduling

Memo to McCain campaign: one truism of the primary season -- and indeed of the general, I'd argue, is that the closer you are to Illinois, the more popular Barack is. of all places in Iowa for her to go... Although, she did do a rally in Los Angeles a few weeks ago and it did mobilize the wingnuts for some of their propositions. You guys have any statewide issues on the ballot this year?

by Todd Beeton 2008-10-30 06:41PM | 0 recs
Re: More strange scheduling

That's the point...  They are trying to attack Obama strongholds to lower his margins....

by LordMike 2008-10-30 06:54PM | 0 recs
nothing controversial

Gay marriage won't be a referendum issue in Iowa until 2010 or 2012.

The only statewide referendum we've got is about replacing the words "idiot" and "insane person" with "mentally incompetent" in the Iowa Constitution.

by desmoinesdem 2008-10-30 07:22PM | 0 recs
strange scheduling

I agree, this is testing the water for 2012.  Also, we will have to see what she says (and does not say) and how much ad-libbing she does.

But, in the end, it will be just like the line from Ghostbusters:  "This chick is toast."

by Hammer1001 2008-10-30 06:51PM | 0 recs
She's hurting the 'pugs,

so they're sending her places they've already lost!  Aha!

by NM Ward Chair 2008-10-30 06:58PM | 0 recs
maybe you are joking

but I've been wondering if that is what they're doing.

Still, why not send her to a Republican part of Iowa, where at least she could fire up the base? Weird.

by desmoinesdem 2008-10-30 07:17PM | 0 recs
Re: maybe you are joking

No... One of the McCain people said that there just aren't enough votes in western IA to make a difference... they have to reduce Obama's margins in the east...

by LordMike 2008-10-30 07:47PM | 0 recs
well, there are a lot of anti-choice Dems

in the Dubuque area. Maybe they figure these people will like Palin. Who knows?

by desmoinesdem 2008-10-30 07:52PM | 0 recs
The key to the 2012 theory...

is is she setting her own schedule apart from the campaign? If so, it's definitely a 2012 play.

by Travis Stark 2008-10-30 07:07PM | 0 recs
I have no inside information

but I would be shocked if she is controlling her own travel schedule. I would think those decisions are out of her hands.

by desmoinesdem 2008-10-30 07:18PM | 0 recs
strange scheduling from the McCain-Palin campaign

I don't agree that it's for 2012: Iowa only matters if you need to establish yourself - especially in the GOP.  She's already a frontrunner for 2012, so it's got no more value than say, South Carolina.  Probably less.

by Jess81 2008-10-30 07:45PM | 0 recs
not to be mean

but i think hillary clinton would disagree.

by Doug Tuttle 2008-10-30 07:58PM | 0 recs
Re: not to be mean

You need to win Iowa if nobody's heard of you, OR you're the single opponent of someone nobody has heard of.  If Hillary Clinton wins Iowa then she's off like Kerry in 2004.

But the GOP in 2012 won't apply - you'll have Romney and whoever else will establish themselves between now and then hanging around until their money runs out.

by Jess81 2008-10-30 08:18PM | 0 recs
it is very bizarre

Well I don't know about polls but I do know that Iowa has the best ground game for the Obama campaign. However there is one thing I am concerned about is if there is a concerted effort to suppress the Dem votes, esp the youth/student vote through fallacious and surreptitious means. I have been scratching my head about this for a long time and if I know the Republicans or for that matter any campaign they don't put so much energy in one state unless they have a shot. If this is just empty bravado then it is foolish, but that does not mean we should be complacent. It is good that Obama is going because he needs to energize the base.

by tarheel74 2008-10-30 07:55PM | 0 recs
Re: it is very bizarre

Some reassurance for you...  A few weeks ago, the Des Moines Register reported what the McCain camp was "seeing" in Iowa.  It wasn't tightening of the polls, but, supposedly the voters would be more "persuadable"... it's the same thing they were supposedly seeing in PA...  It's a real reach...  Personally, I think McCain just can't believe that Obama could win a 99% white state.

by LordMike 2008-10-30 08:56PM | 0 recs
Re: it is very bizarre

which makes me worry if all the racial dog-whistling is working. I mean McCain can go down in history as George Wallace part 2 but I still remember an older white man asking Edwards if he can assure him that if "he" wins "they" will not exact retribution or some nonsense like this. The same stuff is being used here in PA in predominantly white areas. Shameful but then the truth is the country still has a lot of racists in both parties.

To be honest after 2000 and 2004 I am a glass-half-empty kind of person but while a part of me feels cautiously optimistic the other part still worries and frets over the stupidity of American people and whether they will once again get conned by empty platitudes and traditional race-baiting, fear-mongering and other GOP nonsense.

I hope you are right, I hope we win. The future of this country depends on this.

by tarheel74 2008-10-31 09:04AM | 0 recs
bad moves redux

this is like the rscc's one mil put towards mi-sen in 2006.  that mixed with palin's ambition.

by Doug Tuttle 2008-10-30 07:57PM | 0 recs
And today, guys and gals, here in Iowa...

I declare my 2012 Candidacy for President of the United States.....

Ok, admit it, this has been a very strange campaign, so that would fit right in, right?

by WashStateBlue 2008-10-30 08:24PM | 0 recs
I can't understand it either

Given the SUSA poll, it's more than strange. If the poll is accurately capturing how many people have already voted in Iowa and by what margin, then McCain has already lost it. He would need to win the remaining voters by a 20% margin to take the state, which clearly isn't going to happen.

by al1 2008-10-31 01:44AM | 0 recs
trying to hide Palin or just discredit her

There are only 2 options-

1) Send Palin to a lost state where an additional loss of votes do not change the elctoral college.

2) Or the Romney sympathizers are just making sure that Plain comes out in the worst possible light. Afterall, whereve she has been in the last 2 weeks on the campaign, McCain would lose all of them. FL, OH, PA and IA (Okay, maybe I am hoping FL and OH, but so is Romney.)

by ann0nymous 2008-10-31 03:42AM | 0 recs
Hi, dmd!

Just kicked in my last contributions to Hubler and Greenwald.  As I recover from four days straight of GOTV next Wednesday, I will be interested to see how they did.  Thanks to you, I won't be kicking myself for not helping them.

by RunawayRose 2008-10-31 07:22AM | 0 recs
Go Palin

Sometimes I wish I still lived in Florida so that candidates could pander to me.  In the Boston area, nobody does that.  I actually saw a McCain field office in Boston Common a few weeks ago and thought that was weird, because there's nothing for McCain to win here -- at least in Cambridge, true blue is an understatement.  So you know, Palin is doing something right (no doubt by accident) by campaigning in a "safe" region.  Waste of money and time?  I wouldn't say so -- anything that doesn't help the Republicans can't be that much of a waste!  But it's nice for the residents of the district to be given some attention sometimes.

by mauro7inf 2008-10-31 08:07AM | 0 recs