Time to get serious about expanding the field (AL-03, NJ-05, CA-46, KY-01, IA-05)

Americans appear ready to sweep a lot of Democrats into office on November 4. Not only does Barack Obama maintain a solid lead in the popular vote and electoral vote estimates, several Senate races that appeared safe Republican holds a few months ago are now considered tossups.

Polling is harder to come by in House races, but here too there is scattered evidence of a coming Democratic tsunami. Having already lost three special Congressional elections in red districts this year, House Republicans are now scrambling to defend many entrenched incumbents.

In this diary, I hope to convince you of three things:

1. Some Republicans who never saw it coming are going to be out of a job in two weeks.

On a related note,

2. Even the smartest experts cannot always predict which seats offer the best pickup opportunities.

For that reason,

3. Activists should put resources behind many under-funded challengers now, instead of going all in for a handful of Democratic candidates.

Allow me to elaborate.

1. A lot of seemingly safe incumbents have lost in wave elections, even in districts tilted toward their own party.

The Republican landslide of 1994 claimed my own Congressman Neal Smith, a 36-year incumbent who had a senior position on the House Appropriations Committee. Democratic House Speaker Tom Foley spent "what aides say may total $1.5 million to $2 million, a staggering amount for a House race" in 1994, but he still lost to George Nethercutt in Washington's fifth district.

Many of you probably remember long-serving House and Senate Democrats in your own states who were swept away in the Reagan landslide of 1980.

By the same token, a lot of entrenched Republicans lost their seats during the 1974 post-Watergate wave. That was the year Iowans elected Tom Harkin and Berkley Bedell in the fifth and sixth Congressional districts, where both candidates had lost elections in 1972.

2. Even the political pros and the best analysts cannot always handicap Congressional races accurately, especially House races where public polls are scarce.

In 2006, could anyone have predicted that Lois Murphy (who almost beat Republican Congressman Jim Gerlach two years earlier) would fall short again in PA-06, while the massively under-funded Carol Shea-Porter would defeat Jeb Bradley in NH-01?

The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee poured millions into IL-06 in 2006, only to see Tammy Duckworth lose to Peter Roskam. Meanwhile, Larry Kissell didn't get the time of day from the DCCC and came just a few hundred votes short of beating Republican incumbent Robin Hayes in NC-08.

My point is that we can't always know where our best chances lie. Sometimes a stealth candidate can catch an incumbent napping in a race that hasn't been targeted by either party.

Look at the seats Republicans are now worried about, according to Politico:

GOP Reps. John B. Shadegg of Arizona, Lee Terry of Nebraska, Henry Brown Jr. of South Carolina and Dan Lungren of California are all fighting for their political lives, a reversal of fortunes that has caught even the most astute campaign observers by surprise.

Markos commented on the Politico piece,

Shadegg's AZ-03 is R+5.9.
Terry's NE-02 is R+9.0.
Brown's SC-01 is R+9.6
Lungren's CA-03 is R+6.7.

We haven't had any public polls in Iowa's fourth or fifth district races, but last week Republican incumbent Tom Latham (IA-04, D+0) released his first negative television ad, suggesting that his internal polls may show Becky Greenwald gaining on him.

I can't tell you today who will win on November 4, but I guarantee you that some Democrats in "tossup" seats will lose, even as other Democrats take over "likely Republican" or "safe Republican" districts. Which brings me to my third point.

3. We need to expand the field of Republican-held districts we're playing for.

Thankfully, the bad old days when the DCCC would target 22 races, hoping to win 15, are just a memory. The DCCC has put more than 60 Republican-held seats in the "Red to Blue" category. Not all of those seats have seen media buys or other significant financial investment from the DCCC, however.

Plus, as I mentioned above, Dan Lungren is sweating bullets in CA-03, which isn't even on the Red to Blue list.

In 2006 we won at least two seats that were not in the Red to Blue program (IA-02 and NH-01) and came oh, so close in NC-08.

The bottom line is that a lot of Democratic challengers with the potential to win are not getting the support of the DCCC. This post at Swing State Project lists lots of seats once thought safe for Republicans, which are becoming competitive.

Where can netroots fundraising have the most impact? In my view, it's in the winnable districts where there will be no influx of hundreds of thousands of dollars from the DCCC or other outside groups. Many of these are districts where an additional $50,000 or even $25,000 can make the difference.

The mother of all moneybombs dumped three-quarters of a million dollars into Elwyn Tinklenberg's campaign in 24 hours over the weekend. It was a strong statement against the intolerance and bigotry Michelle Bachmann (MN-06) displayed on Hardball.

While I respect the enthusiasm, I can't agree with those who are still asking the netroots to give to Tinklenberg, even after he's collected more than $750,000 and the DCCC has promised to put $1 million into this race. Tinklenberg now has the resources to run an aggressive paid media and GOTV effort for the next two weeks. He probably has more money than he can spend effectively with so little time left.

Raising $50,000 for each of ten good challengers would be a better use of our energy than continuing to push activists to give to Tinklenberg.

Remember, few challengers are able to match incumbents dollar-for-dollar, but that doesn't mean they can't win. They don't need to match incumbent spending, but they do need the resources to improve their name recognition and capitalize on the Democratic wave.

Which House races should we target for a moneybomb? I would suggest looking at the list of candidates on the Blue America '08 page at Act Blue, as well as the candidates endorsed by Russ Feingold's Progressive Patriots Fund. We have good reason to believe that those candidates will stand up for progressive values.

I would then pick a few Democrats on those lists who are not benefiting from large independent expenditures by the DCCC or others. Some of the late additions to the Red to Blue list deserve more help from the netroots, such as Josh Segall in AL-03, whose Republican opponent recently bragged about his plans to be "the biggest pain in Nancy Pelosi's ass."

Our money will go further in districts with relatively inexpensive paid media. On a thread at a different blog, someone suggested GA-10, where the Democratic candidate is Bobby Saxon.

I would also favor candidates taking on particularly odious incumbents, such as Dennis Shulman (running against Scott Garrett in NJ-05) and Debbie Cook (facing Dana Rohrbacher in CA-46). RDemocrat has written a book's worth of material on why we should support Heather Ryan against "Exxon Ed" Whitfield in KY-01.

And what kind of Iowan would I be if I didn't mention Rob Hubler, who is taking on Steve King in IA-05? My fellow Iowa blogger 2laneIA published this comprehensive diary showing that if we're talking about the most ignorant and bigoted wingnuts in Congress, King gives Michelle Bachmann a run for her money. Click the link to read all about King's "greatest hits," including his suggestion that we electrify the border fence with Mexico like we do "with livestock," his prediction that terrorists will be "dancing in the streets" if Obama becomes president, and his pride in working to scale back funding for the State Children's Health Insurance Program (which he calls Socialist Clinton-style Hillarycare for Illegals and their Parents). King considers his work to reduce SCHIP funding a "key moment" in his Congressional career.

Amazingly, there's even more to dislike about King than 2laneIA had room to mention in that piece. For instance, while still a state senator, King was a leading advocate for Iowa's "official English" law, which was adopted in 2002. Then he filed a lawsuit in 2007 to stop the Iowa Secretary of State's office from providing voter information in languages besides English. It's not for nothing that Ann Coulter calls King "one of my favorites."

Hubler is a good progressive who spoke out against the FISA bill and supports the Responsible Plan for Iraq. I just found out recently that during the 1980s he was INFACT's national director of the boycott against Nestle. Hubler also happens to be running a great campaign, but he is not getting much outside help except from Feingold's Progressive Patriots Fund, which has sent an organizer to work on the campaign.

Two dozen House Democrats already represent districts with a partisan voting index of R+5 or worse. We should be able to increase that number in two weeks and send home Republicans who didn't even realize they were in trouble.

Few people have enough money to donate to every worthy Democratic candidate. But if the netroots could raise more than three-quarters of a million dollars for Elwyn Tinklenberg in just over 48 hours, we ought to be able to raise $50,000 each for ten good challengers, whose races are relatively low-profile.

Who's with me on this, and which districts should we target?

Tags: 2008 elections, AL-03, Alabama, Bobby Saxon, ca-46, California, Congress, Dana Rohrbacher, Debbie Cook, Dennis Shulman, Ed Whitfield, Elwyn Tinklenberg, GA-10, Georgia, heather ryan, House, IA-05, Iowa, Josh Segall, Kentucky, KY-01, Michele Bachmann, Mike Rogers, Minnesota, MN-06, new jersey, NJ-05, Rob Hubler, Scott Garrett, Steve King (all tags)

Comments

Thanks for reminding me.....

That STILL makes me grit my teeth. That lying sack Nethercutt ran on Term Limits, then broke his pledge when it came time for him to step down.

The MORANS in his district, after behind stupid enough to vote out THE SPEAKER of the house, and put themselves at the bottom of the pile, then watched Nethercutt break his vow, and still relected him.

Then the jerk tried to run against Patti, and us West Siders got to vote, and we spanked him.

by WashStateBlue 2008-10-21 01:13PM | 0 recs
I'm with you, but no recommendations

I haven't been paying attention to the House side this year, unlike the last 2 cycles.  But I think you've got the right idea, and I'm ready and willing to make some online contributions if some good recommendations come down.

by RT 2008-10-21 01:19PM | 0 recs
Re: I'm with you, but no recommendations

There are some good suggestions in this diary and its comments, but here are some things to consider: Where do you live? Is there a neighboring district, or region that's similar to yours that's competitive? Is there a candidate who will provide your own congressmember with an ally to help pass legislation that's important for your state or region?

by LakersFan 2008-10-21 03:50PM | 0 recs
I am with you.

We do need to expand the field.  I have certainly put my money where my mouth is, including $100 to Hubler.  But my $5 to Tinklenberg serves the field-expansion agenda as do other contributions sent his way.  Please, no more pot shots at a map-changer.

by Prairie 2008-10-21 01:26PM | 0 recs
Re: I am with you.

I don't think it's so much pot shots at Tinklenberg, just a recognition that he's probably got more money than he knows what to do with in the next two weeks.  We'll get more bang for our bucks looking for other opportunities to donate. (I have given to Tinklenberg, Hubler, and Heather Ryan, so nothing against any of them!)

by RunawayRose 2008-10-22 06:33AM | 0 recs
Re: Time to get serious about expanding the field

I'm completely with you on this strategy.

Debbie Cook in CA-46 is great. Apparently she's not getting any DCCC funds, and she's giving Dana Rohrabacher a real run for his money.

Some other good candidates that need support were suggested by posters in my Live in a Safe Democratic District? Adopt-a-Candidate today! diary, including Bill Durston (CA-03), Dina Titus (NV-03), Anne Barth (WV-02), and Gary Peters (MI-09).

by LakersFan 2008-10-21 01:26PM | 0 recs
And fortunately for all of us...

Debbie Cook, Dina Titus, Gary Peters, Jeff Merkley, Kay Hagan, and many more awesome candidates are included at...

:-)

by atdleft 2008-10-21 02:23PM | 0 recs
it's insane that the DCCC isn't spending

in her district.

Becky Greenwald hasn't gotten any money either, as far as I know. She released a great web ad that needs to be on tv, but I am not aware of a new tv ad buy. (She was up on the air for two or three weeks.)

by desmoinesdem 2008-10-21 03:01PM | 0 recs
Re: it's insane that the DCCC isn't spending

Agreed. That's why we need to all spend a little of our own money.

It's crunch time. Getting that last mailer out, or getting an ad on the air can make or break a campaign right now.

by LakersFan 2008-10-21 03:31PM | 0 recs
Washed away in the wave

I lost my job as a legislative assistant in the 1980 election, when Ronald Reagan's big win and Jimmy Carter's early concession combined to kick West Coast Democrats in the nuts. Not a happy time. I'm sure I'll find it more enjoyable when it happens to the other side, washing them away in a blue tidal wave.

by Zeno 2008-10-21 01:29PM | 0 recs
Re: Time to get serious

Judy Baker in the 9th in Missouri.  No incumbant.

Blaine Luetkemeyer, Baker's opponent, sponsored legislation that would have allowed health insurance companies to drop coverage of mammograms and other prevention screenings at a time when health insurance company profits continue to soar. Luetkemeyer has taken more than $35,000 from insurance companies during the campaign.

"Mammograms and other health screenings save lives and drive costs down in our system. My mom and her two sisters are breast cancer survivors because of early detection and I am so thankful they were able to receive this care," Baker said. "We can save women's lives and drive down the costs of health care by detecting disease early. How often to we get to do the right thing for Missouri families and save money? My opponent is just out of touch."

The television spot is available at www.judybakerforcongress.com and text is below:

"The Ones They Love"

:30

Brenda McGavock: "I felt like a deer in the headlights. Mammograms are absolutely the first line of defense.

When I hear that Blaine Luetkemeyer voted against insurance companies having to pay for mammograms, it sickens me.

He's giving a death sentence to many women.

Blaine's probably the right for voice for insurance executives.

Blaine you don't represent a single woman in this district and you don't really represent all the people that love them."

I'm Judy Baker and I approve of this message.

http://judybakerforcongress.com/baker-la unches-powerful-message-highlighting-con trast-to-luetkemeyer-on-health-care

Great post, desmoinesdem.

by TomP 2008-10-21 01:44PM | 0 recs
Re: Time to get serious

Thanks for another good suggestion, TomP!

My own representative, Bruce Braley, should get re-elected with no problem (and he's been generous about helping others), so I've been concentrating on other down-ticket candidates like Ryan and Hubler, and working on a couple of state representatives. (Elesha Gayman is a freshman state rep who's being targeted by the Republicans, my neighbor Phyllis Thede is running against a Republican incumbent.)

by RunawayRose 2008-10-22 06:37AM | 0 recs
We should focus on races ignored by Dtrip
unsure how to focus on though
by optimusprime 2008-10-21 01:52PM | 0 recs
I voted for Shulman on my

absentee ballot.

Not that Obama character though.

by brezinst 2008-10-21 02:12PM | 0 recs
Saxon in GA-10

I put forward the comment for Bobby Saxon, and I'll echo it here. His race against Paul Broun Jr. isn't getting a lot of play, namely because it's a reliably Republican district, but there are several wild cards at work this time around ...

- Increased turnout among African-Americans in the district

- The presence of liberal Athens-Clarke County (and Broun won the special election largely due to his hometown backing him to knock off a candidate who had said disparaging things about the town)

- Dissatisfaction among moderates with Broun, particularly in the Augusta area where he's isolated a lot of folks by beating a pair of Republican primary challenges (this was Charlie Norwood's district for many years)

- Lots of negative press for Broun including anti-government spending Broun blowing his entire budget by mid-year on franking and his hypocritical refusal to debate Saxon after chastising his opponent in last year's special election for not debating.

Saxon released an internal poll that had him 10 points back (41-31) with more than 20 percent undecided, and he's only got $29,000 or so on hand. But in this district with small radio markets, all he needs is an extra $20,000 or so to effectively flood the airwaves and get his message out.

by Safe As Houses 2008-10-21 02:13PM | 0 recs
Re: Saxon in GA-10

Here, here. I am generally new to politics, but when my Republican friends readily admit that all we need is money to make Bobby more visible and we would win no matter what Bobby's Republican challenger Paul Broun did, I am inclined to believe them.

In an election season that has been filled with imagery and broad cliches, I still can't help but say that Bobby Saxon is a transformational candidate. Dems and Republicans alike are drawn to him when they meet him and support his message. He just has to have to money to make the media buys he needs to get his message across the district. Give him the money, and he'll win... hands down.

by spennywell 2008-10-22 12:53PM | 0 recs
Re: Saxon in GA-10

Many Republicans are disenchanted with Paul Broun for numerous reasons that include:
-his excessive use of franking
-his voting record against veteran's rights, including the G.I. Bill
-his voting record against elderly rights
-his voting record against support for farmers

However, some of these voters simply do not know that there is another option: Bobby Saxon.  In order to get his name out there to reach these voters, we need financial support to make signs, radio ads, and television ads.  This election can be won, with a little help!

by kcalhoun89 2008-10-23 10:36AM | 0 recs
Debbie Cook, Please!

She still needs about $75k to finish sending out mailers. This is a winnable race! Just read any of my diaries on CA-46. Please help carry Debbie over the finish line!

by atdleft 2008-10-21 02:18PM | 0 recs
Re: Debbie Cook, Please!

Just donated to her yesterday!  She's running a great campaign and it would be WONDERFUL if she could take down nutso conservative Dana Rohrabacher.

I'm just over the line district-wise, so won't have the privilege of voting for Debbie, but would like to second the push for her.  It's wonderfully cheering to see all the lawn signs for her as I drive my son to school in the morning through neighborhoods which usually sport more Republican signs than Democratic.

A win for Debbie would both send a MUCH BETTER DEMOCRAT to Washington and would also really further demoralize Orange County Republicans who are depressed that McCain isn't doing better.

by katerina 2008-10-21 04:15PM | 0 recs
Re: Time to get serious

Based on money, candidates and district:

AL-2 Bobby Bright  Already put in 636 K of outside money; the race is tied

AL-3 Segall  A progressive from AL who has raised some nice money on his own (711 k)

FL-8 Grayson  A self funder from a winnable district who promises to audit the heck out of Bush crony contracts.  About time.

FL-25 Feeney is on the ropes.  He schemed in the FL legislature to install W no matter what and was rewarded with this seat.  Suzanne Kosmas is winning this election.

FL 25 Garcia, FL 21 Martinez, FL 18 Taddeo  The FL Cubans are actually dangerous to hemispheric peace and take a hard line on foreign policy.  We need to remove them wand install a new generation.  It will break the back of the FL GOP.

WV-2 Barth  Badly outspent due to national GOP money and still in the race.  Winnable.

VA-10 Feder Edge of DC suburbs,a Georgetown wonk vs. an old hound who has overstayed his welcome

VA-5 Perriello Matching Goode dollar for dollar so far and it's competitive.

VA-2 Nye

NJ-5 Shulman. I contribute to Dennis.  He'll add a lot to Congress and just taking out Scott Garrett will be a huge plus.

TX-7 Skelly TX-10 Doherty

WY Trauner Neck and neck with Lummis on both money and the polls

NV-3 Titus  Neck and neck in both money and polls with Jon Ensign

NV-2 Jill Derby outspent 2-1 and holding her own.  Heller as Secy of State allowed the shredding of Democratic registrations by a GOP firm.

MO-9 Baker winning though outspent.  Put it away.

ID-2 Minnick.  Even Idaho Republicans consider Bill Sali nuts.  Mostly a self funder and he's doing the job but let's remove all doubt.

by David Kowalski 2008-10-21 02:42PM | 0 recs
WV-02: Anne Barth dynamic challenger v. Capito

Absolutely! Anne Barth is a fabulous candidate doing all the right things. She's running a smart campaign and a late infusion of money can go a long way in W.Va. media markets.

WV-02 was a very early DCCC Red to Blue race but there's been no DCCC direct money investment. This is our very best chance yet to unseat the incumbent Republican Shelley Moore Capito. If we do it, it'll be a major blow to the Republicans hopes for the eventual opening of Sens. Byrd and Rockefeller seats.

by WVaBlue 2008-10-21 03:41PM | 0 recs
NJ Races

I hate to say but NJ-5 is way out of reach. It's a shame because Shulman is such a great guy, but speaking frankly the chance of him winning is very slim. There are two other races in NJ within reach in the 7th and 3rd, the 3rd especially. John Adler is running a great campaign and this is a huge pickup opportunity for Dems. First time since 1882 this could flip D. This is where we should be investing our money, volunteers, and efforts, races we are within reach of.

by MAS117 2008-10-21 03:36PM | 0 recs
I love Linda Stender

but the DCCC and EMILY's list have been spending in her district already. Do you think a $20K fundraising drive from bloggers will make or break her race?

I am not talking about the Dems' best overall pickup opportunities. I am talking about the races where the netroots have the best chance of making a difference.

In an ignored district, $25K can allow for a small broadcast media buy or that final direct-mail piece that makes all the difference.

In 2006 few people thought NC-08 was within reach, but they were wrong.

by desmoinesdem 2008-10-22 05:08AM | 0 recs
Re: I love Linda Stender

DMD, I'm going to bookmark this diary and come back to it tonight.  I've seen more suggestions here than on most other versions of it.

by RunawayRose 2008-10-22 06:43AM | 0 recs
Saxon GA-10

Bobby Saxon is an incredible candidate. He has been campaigning for a year now. He's been to every part of this quiet conservative and has been able to turn staunch republican into Saxon believers. He can accomplish much more if he could get a little financial help.

by aleandro 2008-10-22 05:24PM | 0 recs
Saxon Ga-10

Yeah, Bobby Saxon, Ga-10, is pretty amazing. Our rural county Democrats adopted a highway litter pick-up in this gerrymandered 'safe' republican district -  so Bobby came out and helped us pick it up. Along the route is one of these like fortresses with all sorts of 'Fred Thompson for Pres' signs and such. I thought it incongruous that our highway signs ended right at this character's gate. But Bobby said he had previously introduced himself and talked to this guy and got a campaign donation. Bobby's like that- he has that cross-over appeal. Bobby's the guy who dropped everything and went to Afghanistan after 9/11, then to Iraq. Got a bronze star as well as a dozen other medals and citations. When he says we need to get out of Iraq, he speaks with the authority of one who has been in downtown Baghdad a year. Worked at the Pentagon when he returned as well. We just need to get Major Saxon more exposure in this area that fears Democrats. His opponent, 'cow-patty' Paul Broun,  has about one year's incumbency, and is disliked by many in his own party. Personally, I'm more liberal than most- and I'm proud to support this conservative Democrat. Bobby Saxon could do this thing with a little more help!

by cyou299 2008-10-22 05:54PM | 0 recs
SAXON (GA-10)

Bobby Saxon of Georgia's 10th disrict is definitely a candidate that can win with just a little more funding to share his positions.

So many people are frustrated with the current Republican Congressman Paul Broun.  But, in this conservative district seeing the R next to his name can be enough.

The problem is that the majority of voters don't know enough about Bobby Saxon.  A poll the Saxon Campaign conducted showed that a majority of people saying they planned to vote for Paul Broun actually agree with Bobby's position on the major issues.

As a small business owner, Bobby knows how to help the economy in the district.  As an Iraq war veteran, Bobby knows how to address the problems in Iraq.  As a first time candidate, Bobby can serve as a true statesman and leave partisan politics behind.  Despite being a first time candidate, Bobby has infinitely more experience than his opponent on the issues that matter most--the economy, Iraq, and the life of the average American.

The only problem is that the people of the district don't know enough about Bobby--a problem fixed with more funding.

by LCasurkis 2008-10-22 06:03PM | 0 recs
Re: Red to Blue (GA-10) (www.bobbysaxon.com)

The most deserving candidate few have ever heard off--> Bobby Saxon (www.bobbysaxon.com).  A poll released last week had Saxon down less than 10% with over 20% undecided.  This is actually a really good sign  considering we are in the heart of red country and a Dem has not come closer than 30 points in over a decade.  The poll clearly demostrated that the majority of voters in this district know little about the fiasco Paul Broun has been in congress and are against most of his policies.  On issues like Elder Care, Veterans and Agriculture funding they align with Bobby Saxon.  The voters just need to be educated (i.e. Bobby needs money to win).

Paul Broun represents the worst aspects of the republican party as a ultra-conservative, bible thumping, psuedo intelligent, George Bush rubber stamp. He has laid waste to his own staff and budge through mismanagement and made a mockery of voters in this district with his "cow patty" comments.

Here are a few of reasons by Saxon should win this election hands down (if he can raise a few more $).

He is a Army Combat Veteran.
He is a small business owner who knows how to help the economy.
He is a Common Sense American.
He is not the unpopular Paul Broun.

by Common Sense American 2008-10-23 07:17AM | 0 recs
Time to get serious about Bobby Saxon

Bobby Saxon deserves this race, not just because of his true passion and determination to better his district, but also, it is a race he can win.  The last time the incumbent ran he won by an incredibly small margin.  Bobby Saxon has been connecting person to person trying to meet his potential constituents so he can do what's right by them. I have seen the enthusiasm he has brought to his supporters and have been inspired by it.

by ugadiane 2008-10-23 08:46AM | 0 recs
Re: Time to get serious about Bobby Saxon

Saxon would represent his constituents in a much better way than Broun.  He would take his much needed new style of politics to Washington, and give this district a representative they can be proud of.  His supporters are excited and truly believe they can pull this victory off.

by Go Blue GA 2008-10-24 09:11AM | 0 recs
Time to get serious about Bobby Saxon
It is time for the tenth district of Georgia to elect someone who actually represents the entire district.  If I had to pick one word to describe the tenth district of Georgia it would be "Honest."  Honest men and women putting in an honest days work.  The fact the Paul Broun won't debate Bobby Saxon makes the honest people of this district wonder what exactly Paul Broun is hiding from.  People are eager for a representative who understands the daily struggles of being a small business owner, or a farmer, or a returning veteran, not some shmuck who tells stupid jokes at the local country club and sends his wife to debates that is he is too scared to show up too.  Paul Broun has voted against three groups of people who simply cannot be discriminated against:  Veterans, the Elderly, and Children.  If Paul Broun's voting record were closely examined, I think half of the district would throw up.  It is time for real leadership in Washington, not the game of follow the leader that Paul Broun is a little too comfortable playing.
-KR