Time to raise money for other good progressive challengers

It's fantastic that the netroots got behind Democratic Congressional candidate Elwyn Tinklenberg last night after Michelle Bachmann disgraced herself on Hardball. An astounding $488,000 has been raised for Tinklenberg's campaign during the last 24 hours. That's more than enough for him to run an aggressive paid media and GOTV effort during the next 16 days in Minnesota's sixth district.

I'll have more to say on this subject tomorrow, but this is a quick hit to urge you to start directing your resources toward other progressive candidates. There are other Republican incumbents who are terrible and offensive, like Bachmann.

We have a great opportunity to take advantage of the coming Democratic wave. This post at Swing State Project notes that seats once thought safe for Republicans are becoming competitive across the country.

Your money will have more impact now if you donate to good candidates who are not getting a huge influx of cash from the DCCC or other outside groups.

Yesterday at Bleeding Heartland, I made the case for helping Rob Hubler get his message out in Iowa's fifth district, where he faces Steve "ten worst" King. Hubler is a strong Democrat who supports the Responsible Plan for Iraq and spoke out against the FISA bill. Wisconsin Senator Russ Feingold's Progressive Patriots Fund is supporting him.

Hubler has already been up on the radio with at least one ad, featuring former Congressman Berkley Bedell. The Hubler campaign has also produced this voter guide (pdf file) to mail district-wide. To reach more voters through direct mail and broadcast media, the campaign needs your help. Please donate to Hubler today, or to some other strong progressive challenger's campaign. Pouring more money into MN-06 now is not likely to change that election outcome.

Tags: 2008 elections, Congress, House, IA-05, Iowa, Michelle Bachmann, Rob Hubler, Russ Feingold, Steve King (all tags)

Comments

Re: Time to raise money for other good progressive

You are so right.  When he passed $100,000 he probably had more than he could spend in the time he's got left.

We are all in this together.  If Tinklenberg cannot spend that much, he should consider spreading it around, within campaign finance limits, to some other candidates.  Hubler would be my first choice, as the DCCC has not helped him with cash.  So would Becky Greenwald in Iowa 4, who is short on cash, or Jim Esch in Nebraska 2.

by Susan in Iowa 2008-10-18 04:02PM | 0 recs
Re: Time to raise money for other good progressive

$50,000 in my race would mean a victory for all progressives and Iowa would be more blue. But the best things would be to get ride of one of the worst. Obama does not need Steve King kicking him around for the next two year. Iowa does not need the further embarrassment of Steve King. We can send him home with media money. We will deliver the vote but we must have the name ID. Please go to actblue and help. Rob

by RobHubler 2008-10-18 04:38PM | 0 recs
Re: Time to raise money for other good progressive

I just donated $50. I hope that helps.

by redfortheblue 2008-10-18 04:46PM | 0 recs
Re: Time to raise money for other good progressive

Thanks so very much. That's the way our whole campaign has to go. $10,20,30,50. with you we will get there. Rob

by RobHubler 2008-10-18 04:52PM | 0 recs
Re: Time to raise money for other good progressive

I've been watching your race closely on dailykos and iowaindependent and I think you have a real chance to kick out Steve King!

by redfortheblue 2008-10-18 04:58PM | 0 recs
Scott Garrett NJ-5

Scott Garrett recently had his own Bachmann moment, only it wasn't televised.  I diaried at Daily Kos about a press release he put out yesterday about my fantastic candidate, "Better Democrat" Dennis Shulman.

Basically, Garrett called our campaign manager "a consigliere of corruption" and tied him to an "ACORN militant" because of his previous work an "illegal immigration activist."

Garrett then went onto say: "Associating with organizations like ACORN is a warning that Dennis Shulman lacks a commitment to the United States Constitution and our political heritage as a nation."

Previously this week, Dennis was attacked as an "empty suit" and a "tax and spend pawn for Washington elites like Nancy Pelosi."

Now, he's a "puppet" who has surrounded himself with "consiglieres of corruption" and a "radical liberal" who poses a "danger" to the district.

Really, for your own enjoyment -- read the whole release.  And of course, if you are so inclined, donate to Dennis at Act Blue.

by TJ Helm 2008-10-18 04:05PM | 0 recs
Re: Scott Garrett NJ-5

Dennis Shulman is great, and I donated to him a while back on the Open Left Act Blue page.

Absolutely, there are plenty of terrible Republicans out there. We need to support the good candidates who step up to the plate like Shulman.

by desmoinesdem 2008-10-18 05:47PM | 0 recs
Re: Scott Garrett NJ-5

Dennis Shulman is a great candidate.  There is only a syllable between Shulman and Shuler, but the difference will mean a great deal to all of us.  Blue Dog Heath Shuler was a Rahm Emmanuel/DCCC project.  He is worse than having a Republican in that seat, because he gives "bipartisan" cover to atrocities like the FISA vote.

Shulman would not follow that lead, I am confident.

Neither would Rob Hubler, and I am pleased to see a real candidate show up and talk about his race here.

by Susan in Iowa 2008-10-18 06:07PM | 0 recs
Re: Scott Garrett NJ-5

Reminds me of this.

by Susan in Iowa 2008-10-18 06:21PM | 0 recs
Rob Hubler Can Win

Rob Hubler can win this election. He can beat Steve King. He's been everywhere in this district. He has done an amazing job of engaging Steve King through the press, but not all of the voters read the papers. Not all of the voters watch the evening news.

Rob is the best candidate Iowa's 5th District has seen, but we need to get him on television to get his name out there.

We cannot send Barack Obama to the White House and return Steve King to congress. That doesn't say much about Iowa, that doesn't say much about America.

Steve King embarrasses Iowa, but if we don't get him out of office now - he will embarrass the nation.

Please, please, please join me in donating for Rob Hubler. https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/en tity/17951

by JPatrick 2008-10-18 05:00PM | 0 recs
Re: Rob Hubler Can Win

Again thanks. Let me tell you a little about the 5th in IA. 40% don't have high speed internet. We have 4 media markets to cover district. I have been campaigning 21 months. Raised 230,000 and have a great field operations. 50% of the people are rural and get news from radio and weekly newspapers. Berkley Bedell and Tom Harking, progressives, represented the district. There has not been a democratic campaign in the past 10 years that has spent over $90,000. Tom Harking and Gov. Culver got 47% of the vote in the district. they had minimal campaign, not much media and little time in district. Our campaign will get at least 47%. Another $50,000 media in Sioux City will give us a victory with Obama's performance here. Polling data supports we can win. I am the progressive that can send King into civilian life and give us all a chance to concentrate on the direction the nation is going. Since DCCC will not send money to our campaign, even thought they recognized we can win, we have to depend on you all out there. Thanks again.

by RobHubler 2008-10-18 05:38PM | 0 recs
Re: Rob Hubler Can Win

Well gee, if you're going to ask personally like that, consider it done.

Despite one of your supporters giving me my first ever troll rating...but thanks desmoinesdem for calling them on it.

by fsm 2008-10-18 06:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Rob Hubler Can Win

There is going to be some discussion of this going up on DKos tomorrow between 11 and 12 eastern.  Look for it if you want to weigh in.

by Susan in Iowa 2008-10-18 06:17PM | 0 recs
How do I decide?
I completely understand the point about needing to get all good candidates funded, but I'm curious about why Tinklenberg doesn't need $500K. If the average house race costs $1M, including $400K/week for advertising in urban areas, then isn't Tinklenberg still falling short?

Or is it just a question of priorities? Cook rates IA-0$ as only Leans Republican, while MN-06 and NJ-05 are likely republican; is it that you think Huber has a better shot at winning than does Tinklenberg? Though I can't find any polling for IA-5, yet MN-06 is within 4 points (and NJ-05 appears to be 15 points away, and NE-02 7 points away).

I don't mean this to sound like snark; I'll admit I'm truly ignorant in this area, but $500K to spend in 2 weeks doesn't sound like a lot to me. I guess if confuses me just because there are so many good candidates, so how do I choose which ones to donate to and which ones I must leave out?

by fsm 2008-10-18 05:09PM | 0 recs
Re: How do I decide?

Hey this is Rob again.  I can't say if these other races need it more and how much they need -- I wouldn't say another candidate in a tough race doesn't need money.  All races do.

I can say that IA-5 is a winnable race.  We released some polling shortly after labor day.  I know there were a few articles up on daily kos and elsewhere about it.  It showed that voters were within 2 points on the congressional race -- 38 to 36.  That's a huge undecided.  It also showed King had a very high negative and couldn't break a 50% approval rating -- so he couldn't get the majority support to win.

We are in a position to win.  Being named to the DCCC "emerging races" reflects more recent polling and the effects of our field program out here.

I hope that helps and that you'll decide to support.

Thanks

by RobHubler 2008-10-18 05:25PM | 0 recs
that is a valid question

Everyone has to answer that individually.

I do know that even the expert rankings are wrong sometimes. In 2006, who would have predicted that Lois Murphy would fall short against Jim Gerlach in PA-06, but Carol Shea-Porter would defeat Jeb Bradley in NH-01? No one.

I can't say where it will happen, but somewhere in this country Republicans who never saw it coming are going to lose on November 4. The NRCC is going in to defend people who've been safe for years, like Lungren and Shadegg.

To answer your specific question about Hubler vs. Tinklenberg, I have no idea who is more likely to win. I am certain, however, that $500,000 is plenty for Tinklenberg to have going into the final stretch, so I feel that additional contributions to his campaign as of today will not yield the best bang for the buck.

I do not want to take anything away from him--I'm sure he's a good guy, and I am glad the netroots fundraising was so successful for him.

by desmoinesdem 2008-10-18 05:52PM | 0 recs
by the way, I disagree

with whoever gave this comment a "1" rating.

This is not a trollish comment. This person raises valid questions.

by desmoinesdem 2008-10-18 05:54PM | 0 recs
forgot to mention

that I really don't think Tinklenberg's media market is so expensive that $500K would be inadequate for the final two weeks.

If he'd had $500K dumped into his bank account two months ago, he'd probably have been able to use the money more effectively. There's only so much you can spend in the last two weeks.

by desmoinesdem 2008-10-18 05:56PM | 0 recs
Re: true that

Early money is like yeast. But of course, late money isn't worthless.

Early money goes into developing a top grade web site, getting professional quality photos of the candidate, hiring seasoned professional staff, paying for polling and focus groups, and more.

Late money almost has to go into media, too late for the other stuff. And even here, the most efficient media is cable TV, which in the urban areas you can often buy down to the zip code, so as not to waste money sending your message into districts where no one can vote for you. But simply getting organized to spend on cable may be more time-consuming than just running down to your big network broadcast outlet and throwing down the cash.

To add to Desmoinesdem's point, now that Tinklenberg has half a million, he will get more money and more help, from the DCCC, unions, other donors. Nothing succeeds like success, money attracts money, candidates who look like winners get more and more favorable attention from the media, and so forth. Remember that because of his opponent's national notoriety, Tinklenberg will undoubtedly receive much more time on the evening news from here on out.

What we can hope to do is repeat that fortunate cycle in a small way in some other races elsewhere. Rob Hubler's point is that he has done all the organizing he can do, now he needs help with mailings, radio,  even cable or broadcast TV in a cheap media market. A little bit of our money could get the ball rolling faster in his race, too.

Anyway, I'm in. Mostly as a thank you for all the good postings from Desmoinesdem. Going over to the ActBlue page now.

P.S. A campaign visit by Obama to Omaha probably would help too! Not Dayton, again. Ugh.

by Woody 2008-10-19 12:40PM | 0 recs
Katrina Funding?

King's got to go. He calls voting against Katrina disaster relief "the best vote I put up in congress in six years."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS7JLHqz2 cM

by Zeakk 2008-10-18 05:18PM | 0 recs
I forgot about that one

He comes up with some amazingly offensive things to say.

One of my personal favorites was when he bragged about getting the House to scale back the SCHIP funding (State Children's Health Insurance Program) as a "key moment" for him:

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/articles /2008/06/29/news/local/0c6700f4b752aa838 62574770000a40d.txt

by desmoinesdem 2008-10-18 05:53PM | 0 recs
Re: I forgot about that one
Who could forget this?
 title=http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/susaniniowa/2008%20campaign/schipking3-1.jpg">
by Susan in Iowa 2008-10-18 06:03PM | 0 recs
Never saw it

Never gonna forget it now!

by Woody 2008-10-19 12:42PM | 0 recs
Re: Katrina Funding?

And he was one of only eleven members to vote no.  Later he showed up in Cedar Rapids and talked about New Orleans as he was touring flood damage there.  Allow me to share:

"This is Katrina," King said. "I have walked into and out of those buildings (in New Orleans), and I tell you, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference....I haven't yet absorbed the magnitude of what happened here," King said. "To do that, you've got to be on the ground and talk to real people."

Maybe Mooselini can tell him who those real people are.  But it takes some serious stones to say this after voting against emergency relief for Katrina victims.

by Susan in Iowa 2008-10-18 06:13PM | 0 recs
Re: Katrina Funding?

And of course, Scott Garrett also voted no...

These races are both great opportunities not only to knock out awful Republicans, but also to elect Better Democrats!  A double bang for your buck!

by TJ Helm 2008-10-18 06:47PM | 0 recs
Re: Time to raise money for other good progressive

All about the benjamins...

by obama4presidente 2008-10-18 07:25PM | 0 recs