McCain/Lieberman Florida Townhall A Very Sad Affair

Wow, CNN just aired a John McCain townhall in Florida with Joe Lieberman and Mel Martinez, which is revealing just how horrible John McCain is at this. McCain was asked a question about education and it was just painful to watch. After stumbling through typical talking points (accountability, competition, blah blah) he actually said the words "look, other people will be more knowledgeable about the education system in Florda..." Mel Martinez stepped in to save him (followed by Lieberman who touted McCain's experience and his ability to cut through that evil partisanship!) but as McCain turned over the microphone to Martinez, he looked over to the right of the camera and sort of shrugged his shoulders as if to say to an off-camera (and none-too-pleased) advisor, "what, it's the best I could do." As Lieberman spoke, McCain kept looking glumly over to the unseen advisor, so it seemed, to get some pointers. What's stunning is how oblivious McCain was to the existence of and the placement of the cameras. Seriously, it almost looked as though he was scowling, shrugging his shoulders and reaching out for a lifeline from me.

Man, it was sad.

Tags: 2008 Presidential election, Florida primary, John McCain, Republican nomination (all tags)

Comments

Re: McCain/Lieberman Florida Townhall A Very Sad A

Is it wrong how much glee I feel reading that?

Maybe someone from Martinez's staff can put out a memo blaming the dems or McCain's confusion. :D

by Step Beyond 2008-01-27 12:09PM | 0 recs
Ooops

for McCain's confusion

by Step Beyond 2008-01-27 12:10PM | 0 recs
Re: Ooops

If Dems take away my primary vote, they don't deserve my general vote.

"they"

thats the only thing you need to read.

by inexile 2008-01-27 01:35PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain/Lieberman Florida Townhall A Very Sad A

McCain really has an amazing lack of interest in policy.  If only that mattered in politics...

by Steve M 2008-01-27 12:13PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain/Lieberman Florida Townhall A Very Sad A

Joe Lieberman is a total waste of my Connecticut tax dollars. Thanks for nothing!

by Djneedle83 2008-01-27 12:25PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain/Lieberman Florida Townhall A Very Sad A

I watched the whole thing on CSPAN. He used Lieberman to answer his questions too. Was there anyone under 60 in that crowd? I may have saw three.

by danIA 2008-01-27 01:25PM | 0 recs
McCain/Lieberman Florida Townhall

Wait til Obama has to answer a question about the details of force structure or military budgets or a weapons program.

by hwc 2008-01-27 12:30PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain/Lieberman Florida Townhall

Should McCain actually be applying for a job in the Defense Department? From what I'm hearing about his self-admitted lack of knowledge about domestic issues, this would not be a bad idea.

by shergald 2008-01-27 03:34PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain/Lieberman Florida Townhall A Very Sad A

Maybe we do want McCain in the general?

by cilerder86 2008-01-27 12:31PM | 0 recs
one of my friends is convinced

that Romney would actually be the tougher opponent. I don't think so, mainly because of the media's love affair with McCain. But he does look old, and he is a poor campaigner, so who knows?

by desmoinesdem 2008-01-27 09:14PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain/Lieberman Florida Townhall A Very Sad A

Does the Republican base in Florida actually like Governor Crist and Senator Martinez?

by cilerder86 2008-01-27 12:33PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain/Lieberman Florida Townhall A Very Sad A

I heard Crist has 70% approval. I assume that's among his own party,. but I'm not sure.

But I don't know if that will do him much good with non-Cuban Republicans. They hate McCain, or  "Juan McCain" or "John McAmnesty", as they call him. Romney is ahead of him here in CO, I just read

by BlueinColorado 2008-01-27 12:42PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain/Lieberman Florida Townhall A Very Sad A

Other than the Jewish vote that is heavy Dem, how does Liberman help McCain in Florida.  "My friend" this "My friend" that dude sounds like an old grand-dad with turrets syndrome.

by nzubechukwu 2008-01-27 01:10PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain/Lieberman Florida Townhall A Very Sad A

I was wondering the same thing. McCain has to prove to Republicans that he is a real Republican. How does it help by buddying up with Lieberman all the time?

by Cleveland John 2008-01-27 02:10PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain/Lieberman Florida Townhall A Very Sad A

Maybe McCain is relying on Lieberman to deliver him some right wing jewish votes in FL, and the 30% of the idiot Dems who voted to keep Lieberman in CT.

by Pravin 2008-01-27 02:59PM | 0 recs
McCain v Clinton = Dole v Clinton

I remember Mr Dole very clearly. Great guy and an American hero but completely out of his league. It would be the same with McCain. All this were terrified of McCain stuff is bs generated by Obamaneers to frighten people.

by ottovbvs 2008-01-27 01:14PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain/Lieberman Florida Townhall A Very Sad A

It has been and will be about
Mitt Moneyentum..and of course
immigration...immigration...
Last May the wingers went nutzzy over
"Amnesty"
Look for  "Mitt/Huck 08" bumper stickers this fall.
The Money Loves Jesus Ticket.

of course the media will be sad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7vaYOIKW YY

by nogo war 2008-01-27 01:18PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain/Lieberman Florida Townhall A Very Sad A

And to ALL THOSE, including the Clintons, who stood with Lieberman in the primary...

by jgkojak 2008-01-27 01:30PM | 0 recs
Not just in the primary

Tim Tagaris:
President Clinton, on the other hand, probably provided the singular destructive post-primary moment of anyone outside the campaign.  He provided every national Democrat the cover they needed to stay out of the race in one single moment on Larry King Live.  He said he wasn't too concerned about who won the election between Ned and Joe.  Mind you, this was post-primary, and he was pretty much the first big-name national Democrat to do so. When he was asked to put out a statement clarifying that he supported Ned, we were told he was on vacation, but one would be forthcoming.  Well, we got one mealy-mouthed sentence a few days later.  He never made it right.  Ever.

He also promised, when he went to CT to save Holy Joe's ass two days before the primary, that he would be back to campaign for the winner of the primary. He never made it.

by BlueinColorado 2008-01-27 02:19PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain/Lieberman Florida Townhall

I saw him in a townhall and he was shuffling about the stage like an old man.  It was weird.  It just looks like he had aged a lot from just a few years ago.

by reasonwarrior 2008-01-27 02:19PM | 0 recs
Hillary and Obama can kill mcCain in debates

I think Hillary can crush McCain in debates by exposing him on lack of knowledge on domestic affairs.

I think Barack Obama can crush McCain in debates by highlighting his neocon friendly lunatic foreign policy.

by Pravin 2008-01-27 03:01PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain/Lieberman Florida Townhall A Very Sad A

Given his advanced age, the torture that was inflicted on him, and his recurrence of a deadly form of skin cancer, doesn't McCain owe us some Straight Talk about his health and fitness to be President?

I would guess that the actuarial figures for someone like him are poor even leaving out the stress of being President.  His doctors should make a full report.

by Bob H 2008-01-28 02:45AM | 0 recs