Fourth of July Open Thread

It's the Fourth of July. Consider this an open thread... What's on your mind?

Tags: Open Threads (all tags)

Comments

Re: Fourth of July Open Thread

That while we're supposed to be fighting for democracy overseas the 600,000+ American citizens who live in the District of  Columbia don't have a voting representation in Congress.

Democracy begins at home!

by jobytodd 2007-07-04 11:40AM | 0 recs
Re: Fourth of July Open Thread
Maybe you can educate me on this subject a bit because I admit that the history of the district and it's origins are a bit of mystery to me. I've heard a few interesting things on television (MSM) about why it was set up in such a way and the founding fathers were deliberate in creating what it is. But not really knowing why it is the way it is, I've always looked at it with a suspicious eye.. it's almost guantomo'ish in it's legal status.. it's american soil, but it's not, it's american soil, but the laws and rules of the nation "kind of apply" .. it's a black hole where politicians can exploit it's lawless nature to their benefit... and that's why it will probably never change.. maybe comparing it to the vatican in Rome is more appropriate ? :-)
by soros 2007-07-04 12:10PM | 0 recs
Re: Fourth of July Open Thread

I'm thinking about Thomas Paine, Al Gore, and the importance of pamphleteering/blogging to the idea of democracy.

by sayhar 2007-07-04 11:44AM | 0 recs
Re: Fourth of July Open Thread

A little horror story from Horry County, SC (Myrtle Beach area).

My girlfriend and I vacationed there in 2005.  The county had about 50 buses in their transit fleet, which isn't too bad for a county of 175,000 people.  She and I used it often while we were there, and never had a long wait.

Fast forward to this year.  We went back, staying at the same resort, only to find that the bus fleet had been reduced from 50 to 10.  Apparently, the CEO of the transit agency had stolen a bunch of money from the system, and public confidence was shattered as a result.  Suffice it to say, my girlfriend and I spent a lot of time waiting for the bus this go around.  We fully expect there to be no system at all by the time we go back.

The big losers in all this are not tourists, though, but the people who work at area resorts, attractions, and restaurants.  Once again, the working class takes it on the chin!

The point I'm trying to make is this; public corruption is a far bigger threat to local progressive causes than is being reported.  We will always have the reactionary hatchet men, calling for more cutbacks to social services.  The problem is when they can cloak their schemes under the banner of anti-corruption efforts.  As long as transit, health care, and educational services are being delivered with efficiency and transparency, the right wing has no rhetorical place to hide.

This is especially true here in the Atlanta area.  Grady Memorial Hospital is now in danger of closure, an event which would cripple north Gerogia's entire health system.  Certainly, a state bailout is warranted, but Grady does not help itself when its' governing board operates in Cheney-like secrecy, and corruption has already been exposed.  MARTA, the Atlanta area's main transit agency, would do well to open its' books for greater scrutiny as well.

As I said, cleaning up public institutions will not stop the right wing, but it will make it harder for them to prosecute their war against the working class.

by CLLGADEM 2007-07-04 11:48AM | 0 recs
Take Back Patriotism!

Go to your town's fireworks show - if it's today. Wear or carry an American flag. Pass out flyers for a rally for the candidate of your choice. Talk up how amazingly fortunate we are to be Americans. Take the time in your heart to say thank you to Jefferson, Madison, Franklin, Adams, Washington - all of the Founding Fathers (warts and all) that they came together and fashioned such an amazing experiment. Thank them for believing that humans could govern themselves, without needing oversight from hereditary monarchs. Reflect how hereditary leaders have led, throughout history, to the greatest corruptions of the will of the people. Remember how we have a President right now who got his job through appointment, not by being elected. Pause to consider that the idea of handing down the Presidency, of it being held by a select group of families, is explicitly un-American. Get angry that such a nothing President, the worst ever, can smirk and describe himself and his followers as patriots, as they find new ways to take Americans' freedom and liberty. Remember those who died to obtain and preserve that liberty. Remember those who followed orders, who went to Iraq to die for a war of ignorance, dishonesty and personal grudge. Consider those who have gotten away, those who actually murdered Americans in New York, Pennsylvania and DC, while their Commander In Chief took our army's eye off the ball in Afghanistan and instead took out Bad Guy #21 on the list. Remember those who have fought for things like habeas corpus, the right to trial by jury and the right to be free from unreasonable searches, and how those very American rights have been taken from us by the Attorney General, the President and, now, by the Supreme Court. Remember what it means to be an actual American. How many actual Americans began life in another country. How much richer we are as a people, in so many ways, by those who have brought their best to our shores, and how many still want to come to the land of freedom and opportunty. And remember - we are the true patriots. Don't let those bastards have it. Be proud that you are an American. Again. We need you. Our children need you.

Then head to that fireworks show, fly that flag, distribute flyers for the candidate of your choice...

by ericd1112 2007-07-04 01:34PM | 0 recs
Re: Take Back Patriotism!

NAFTA: creates the defacto 21rst century model of government = feudalism;

Rep. Rahm Emanuel (D-Ill.) provides a good example of dishonest graft. In 1993, Emanuel was the Clinton administration aide charged with ramming NAFTA through Congress "over the dead bodies" of labor and environmental groups, as American Express's CEO cheered at the time. Emanuel orchestrated weekly meetings with K Street lobbyists to strategize about how to pressure Democratic lawmakers. Emanuel went on to cash in as an investment banker, raking in roughly $16 million over a two-year period. From his Wall Street perch in 2000, he published a scathing Wall Street Journal op-ed demanding Congress pass the China free trade deal--another K Street-backed goodie that has helped keep American wages stagnating in the face of skyrocketing corporate profits, and is now projected to destroy at least 1 million American jobs, according to the Economic Policy Institute.

http://www.inthesetimes.com/article/3235 kissing_up_to_k_street

Just two years after grossly outspending an opponent to buy an Illinois congressional seat, Emanuel was appointed to the House Ways and Means Committee, the panel that oversees trade policy and that helped corporate lobbyists ram NAFTA through back in 1993. Emanuel also was appointed head of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, which ran millions of dollars worth of ads trumpeting Democrats anti-corruption platform, and which supported the scores of Democrats running against the very lobbyist-written trade policies Emanuel has based his political career on.

Now, with Emanuel as Chairman of the House Democratic Caucus, we see dishonest graft kick into high gear. The same day as the press conference, a group of House Democrats wrote a formal letter to Emanuel demanding he hold a Democratic Caucus meeting to discuss the secret trade negotiations going on between a handful of Democrats and the White House. That letter, according to The Hill, was "rebuffed" even though, again, it was Emanuel's DCCC that aggressively supported Democrats 2006 fair trade candidates. No meeting occurred, and instead Democratic leaders held their press conference, announcing a secret trade deal that, like NAFTA, is strongly backed by K Street lobbyists, but opposed by organized labor, environmental groups, health care groups and grassroots Democrats. Meanwhile, when Emanuel was asked by the Politico's Jeff Patch for details about why Democrats were now backing off their promises to reform lobbying laws so as to prevent Abramoff-style abuse, he did his best Dick Cheney impression, telling the reporter, "Why don't you go fuck yourself."

by dearreader 2007-07-04 06:54PM | 0 recs
Re: Number of diaries per day

Are there any rules about the number of diaries you can post per day at MyDD?  In areyouredy's latest diary a number of us questioned whether 11 or 12 diaries in 48 hours are appropriate.  Foolish me, I just kind of assumed the same rules as from Dkos and now realize that is probably not appropriate either.  George says that no one cares.

I just thought I'd bring it up because it is on my mind.  I thought francisholland was prolific but areyouready is definitely on track to beat him.  Must be a Hillary thing.  I suppose since I don't post diaries as a rule, I may, but I don't often, I shouldn't complain.  However I do like the slower movement of diaries at MyDD than at Dkos.  I get a chance to think about responses.

by pioneer111 2007-07-04 01:38PM | 0 recs
Re: Fourth of July Open Thread

So, is Net Neutrality down the crapper, or what?

by justathought 2007-07-05 12:40AM | 0 recs
Re: Fourth of July Open Thread

Can we call the holiday Independence Day instead? Since that's it's actual name and it's the declaration of our independence that we're celebrating.

by carrieboberry 2007-07-05 02:45AM | 0 recs
Re: Fourth of July Open Thread

Did anyone see the "Made in China" Independence/Dependence Day ad in Iowa over the 4th of July?

You can view it here:

http://www.standupforsteel.org/quadcity. pdf

The ad essentially says that if we continue to rely on Chinese-manufactured products, our manufacturing base will erode to the point where we won't be able to domestically produce the vital military equipment we need for national defense.

Thought it was a pretty provocative ad to run in Iowa on Independence Day. Anyone else have a thought?

by Carmine 2007-07-05 06:12AM | 0 recs
Re: Fourth of July Open Thread

Chris Dodd was on a PBS forum a few years ago, a constitutional issues debate format. I cant' remember it well, but I think Bill Moyers was the moderator, not sure on this point specifically.  He said too many good things for me to suspect insincerity. I hope to locate a tape or dvd of it, but he gained my support contingent on updated info on his views. I am very interested in his comments on general present issues, and I already like his website after a precursory glance. I will plan on voting for him unless I see something really contradictory to my pre-existing opinion of him as a person and a candidate. One thing I think that concerns any honest American tho is the conspiracy theory idea that the infrastructre in the federal government won't allow anyone to make real progress in integrity in government. He should be one of our best bets tho due to what I already said here and given his long experience in Washington.

by bowen5400 2007-07-05 07:14AM | 0 recs