Progressive blogosphere diversity open thread

My ongoing series on blogosphere diversity continues this week!  If you haven't seen it before, over the last few weeks I've been soliciting suggestions for good blogs written by women and/or minorities, and reviewing the resulting suggestions here.

The goal of this series is to encourage MyDD readers to follow, comment on, blogroll, link to, and otherwise shower blogosphere love on these women and/or minority bloggers.  This series is not about political correctness; it is about simple pragmatics.  As a movement, we will never be effective unless we are constantly seeking out, responding to, and incorporating arguments and ideas from a broad cross-spectrum of ideas.  Like everyone else, bloggers have a tendency to circulate with their own kind; so we need to pro-actively seek out other points of view.

I hope this series is effective in broadening our perspective, but I'm certainly willing to entertain ideas for making it better and more effective.  One thing that I might like to try is thematic weeks - where I solicit, and subsequently review, women and minority bloggers who focus on a particular topic, like religion or education.  Let me know what you think of that idea, or any others you might have, in the comments.

First, a few excellent aggregators and other resources for women and minority bloggers (also recommended in the previous diversity open threads):

• BlogHer, an association and conference for women bloggers.  This year the conference is in Chicago, just before Yearly Kos.

• http://www.bloggingresources.pbwiki.com/ , a wiki set up by my co-weekend front pager Mike Connery for his day job at The Opportunity Agenda. It's a wiki listing, in Mike's words, "all the  black/racial justice blogs, immigrant blogs, human rights blogs, etc." that he could find.  The password is in the comments of my first diversity open thread.  Very comprehensive.

• Democratic Black Bloggers is a LeftyBlogs-style aggregator for Democratic black bloggers.

• RSSpect is a general-purpose aggregator for black bloggers, covering a wide range of topics.  It's been making the rounds and appears to be quite popular.  It's got a sleek and wonderful design.  The categories include professional development/pop culture, global/alternative perspectives, and politics.

• At DailyKos, DrSteveB wrote White Kossacks Should Read Some Black Blogs, a comprehensive list of 22 blogs.  The diary started as a memorial to Steve Gilliard, and became a follow-up on earlier diaries about why white bloggers should read black bloggers.  The blogs DrSteveB lists are political and, as far as I can

• The AfroSpear PageFlakes, which I found via Jack and Jill Politics, is a fascinating application of a tool I'd never heard of before.  It's a site which looks, more or less, like a newspaper with a number of columns - each column is prepopulated by a black blogger.  It's interesting reading and, if you're the type of person who likes messing around with Web 2.0 tools, it's definitely worth checking out.  Jack and Jill are featured on the Politics and Opinion page.  (You might remember Jill Tubman from her previous stint as a front pager here.)

And now, on to the recommended blogs from the last couple of posts, again, sorted in alphabetic order by blog title (sorta).  Today's batch has a distinctly Midwestern flavor!

• A Bluestem Prairie, written by fellow MyDD front pager Sally Jo Sorensen, writing on that blog as Ollie Ox.  This blog focuses on the MN-01 district, represented by Democrat Tim Walz.  This is a great blog.  It's got lots of fresh content, it's written well, and it discusses the activities of Rep. Walz in pretty good detail.  When election time comes around, this blog will be one of the most important sources of information for people researching Rep. Walz.  I wish we had 435 blogs just like this one.

• Bleeding Heartland, co-written by MyDD reader desmoinesdem, is an Iowa blog built on SoapBlox.  There's been a lot of focus on presidential politics from an Iowa perspective on the front page recently, with some content related to state issues (sales tax, recent immigration raids, etc.)

• Essential Estrogen covers Iowa issues from a woman's perspective (two women, actually: Lynda Waddington and Paige T).  There's a surprising amount of non-presidential-related content, which I certainly appreciate.  Recent topics include the new president of U of Iowa, ethanol discounts, and Sen. Harkin's email about the stem cell research veto.  This is a sharply-focused blog, and well worth a read from Iowans.

• The Disputed Truth is written by Rodney Knott, an Orthodox Christian, IT professional, Afrosphere participant, and (apparently) John Edwards fan.  Knott lives in Kansas City, MO, and blogs about a variety of topics at the state and federal level (recent topics including the War on Drugs and voting rights), with a huge dose of foreign affairs.  The analysis is sharp and the pieces are long, but worth it.  Rodney Knott also maintains another blog, Fornication: Our Dark Little Secret; as you can imagine, it's very socially conservative, and I personally don't agree with the premise.

That's it for now - I've got a few more in my pipeline that will be reviewed next weekend.  In the meantime, feel free to suggest others below!

Tags: Blogosphere, Diversity (all tags)

Comments

Wiki

The password to the wiki is Justice.

This has been a great series by Shai, and y'all have recommended many blogs that I've never heard of.

If you have time, please enter them into the wiki.

by Mike Connery 2007-06-22 11:19AM | 0 recs
My favorite feminist blogs

Which I read daily:

feministing.com

feministe.com

and the wonderful Pandagon.net, which includes bloggist of color, Pam, of Pam's House Blend.

by judybrowni 2007-06-22 12:29PM | 0 recs
Re: My favorite feminist blogs

Thanks!  I was wondering when someone would point those out.

by Shai Sachs 2007-06-22 02:22PM | 0 recs
Re: Wiki

Thanks for putting together the wiki!  I'll see if I can pull together the time to add these blogs to it.

by Shai Sachs 2007-06-22 02:28PM | 0 recs
Re: Wiki

I should add that the wiki is a shared resource available to a number of social justice groups (and obviously since I gave out the password, it's open to all here).

Just wanted to clarify that if you do add blogs to the wiki, it will help out more organizations than The Opportunity Agenda.  The Wiki was created at an NOI training, and folks who attended know about it/use it too.

by Mike Connery 2007-06-22 02:52PM | 0 recs
Thanks for the link!

Shai, I'm one of the front-pagers over at Bleeding Heartland and I just wanted to say thanks for the link.

And I'm sure Lynda and Paige over at EE appreciated the link as well.

We're working hard in Iowa to build a progressive netroots and your linkage certainly helps.

by Chris Woods 2007-06-22 11:19AM | 0 recs
Re: Thanks for the link!

No problem!  Glad to help.

Good luck!

by Shai Sachs 2007-06-22 02:23PM | 0 recs
Re: Progressive blogosphere diversity open thread

One of my favorite bloggers period, is The Field Negro.

by andy k 2007-06-22 11:25AM | 0 recs
Re: Progressive blogosphere diversity open thread

Thanks!  I'll check it out.

by Shai Sachs 2007-06-22 02:24PM | 0 recs
Re: Progressive blogosphere diversity open thread

Considering most recent race-related flap, I want to give a shout out to the Indian-American blog, Sepia Mutiny.

by domma 2007-06-22 11:31AM | 0 recs

Thanks!  Looks interesting.

by Shai Sachs 2007-06-22 02:24PM | 0 recs

Dear Shai,

Thanks for the shout-out. I appreciate the link and the recommendation. And yes, I support John Edwards for the Democratic Presidential nomination.

Forgiven

by Forgiven 2007-06-22 01:32PM | 0 recs
Re: Progressive blogosphere diversity open thread

No problem, I'm happy to help.

by Shai Sachs 2007-06-22 02:25PM | 0 recs
Re: Progressive blogosphere diversity open thread
I nominate the remarkable teen site http://frecklescassie.wordpress.com/ who also comments frequently on firedoglake as Snarkcassandra. Cassie lives in Texas and is busy getting other kids into the blogosphere. This youngster gives new meaning to the old adage:
Lead by doing. This bright youngster is barely in her teens yet has the observation powers and keen mind equal to  most grown ups.
by Newspaperbrat 2007-06-22 02:03PM | 0 recs
Re: Progressive blogosphere diversity open thread

Interesting!  Thanks for the link.

by Shai Sachs 2007-06-22 02:25PM | 0 recs

Jeepers, thanks.

by Sally Jo Sorensen 2007-06-22 04:12PM | 0 recs
A couple of Latino blogs I read.

Latino Political by Man Egee http://maneegee.blogspot.com/
Based in Arizona. Includes politcal news on Latino issues and culture.

NewMexiKen Half Wisdom · Half Whimsy · Half Wit http://newmexiken.com/. One of my favorites. The author is a former US Archives staff and he writes about things historic. Daily features include "Best line of the day, so far" and "On this day in history". As the name implies, the blog is based in Albuquerque, NM.

The Mex Files, "an English-language Mexican website that wasn't a tourism site" http://mexfiles.wordpress.com/who-we-are /

Adventures of the Coconut Caucus, by La bloguera
"We put the PANIC in Hispanic" http://redbloguera.net/hispanicaucus/ This is one of the funniest. All about Washington,DC and the Latino Congressional members.

The Unapoligetic Mexican, Prettier than Lou Dobbs and Smarter than 10 Aryans

Dos Centavos by Stacy Medellin, based in Houston, Tejas, http://dos-centavos.blogspot.com/.

I will post others as time permits. Thanks for doing this project!

by greenchiledem 2007-06-22 10:06PM | 0 recs
Re: Progressive blogosphere diversity open thread

How odd?  Looking for diversity?  Let's see, I interviewed Jerome on my radio show here in Asheville, NC., not once but twice.

I blog at Where's the Outrage.  You can find my podcasts of my radio show listed under podcasts or you can go to the radio station and listen to them there.

I'm a Black Trauma Surgeon who had gotten tired of the right wing crap.  So, I started writing.  I started broadcasting and blogging.

Oh, finally, I wrote a progressive political book.

by ecthompson 2007-06-23 12:35AM | 0 recs
Thanks Shai

for the shout-out. This is a great series you are offering and I'm grateful to be getting a wider view of allies in the progressive blogspace thanks to your efforts.

by Jill Tubman 2007-06-23 04:11AM | 0 recs
Re: Progressive blogosphere diversity open thread

I'll plug the blog I write with two colleagues, all of us female.

WhirledView covers world politics and most everything else.

The three of us have international experience ranging from Estonia to the Phillipines, Sierra Leone to Kazakhstan. We're a chemist, a political scientist, and a poet.

We post photos from our yards (bobcats to tiny little flowers) and from our travels. We try to illuminate stuff that you read in the MSM that lacks context or accurate facts.

Check us out!

by CKR 2007-06-23 05:37AM | 0 recs
Re: Progressive blogosphere diversity open thread
I'd like to recommend my blog Catfish And Grits. I got into blogging in 2005 (after the 2004 elections/debacle) and used it as a way to vent constructively, then after that I began using my blog to help disseminate information the MSM just wasn't spending any time on. Now, it's morphing into pseudo-policy/think tank.

Some projects I'm working on:
  • Voter Viability Loss (A primer)
  • Setting Up A Think Tank, in Columbus, GA
  • Researching setting up an online news gathering entity, similiar to Salon.com, or HuffPost, but geared toward african americans
I appreciate your consideration.
by sephis1977 2007-06-23 08:37AM | 0 recs
Re: Progressive blogosphere diversity open thread

Hey! Been going through a back log of stuff since returning from camp this past week and I just realized that you linked to our blog. Thank you!

As for additional blogs, I know/love almost all those already named. I especially enjoy Political Teen Tidbits and Feministing. I don't think I've seen a link for Laura McKenna's 11d here and it's worth a visit: http://11d.typepad.com/blog/

Again, thanks so much for including Paige and I. We'd really like to see more diversity in the Iowa blogosphere.

by LyndaIowa 2007-06-24 11:08AM | 0 recs