Open Thread (And Lots, Lots of Me)

I'm heading out for a couple hours to rally against the Iraq veto. Use this thread to discuss anything that might come to mind.

If you miss me while I am gone, you can watch this 48 minute video interview of me on Bloggingheads TV. I certainly enjoyed giving the interview. If nothing else, I think it has temporarily convinced me to stick with shaving. I like looking younger.

Tags: Open Threads (all tags)

Comments

Re: Open Thread (And Lots, Lots of Me)

Best Quote Ever:
"Why the fuck didn't George Bush call us and tell us this was going to happen?"

-- Former Sen. Bob Kerrey, quoted by the New York Observer, on what former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani should have asked after 9/11.

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2007/0 5/02/quote_of_the_day.html

by bsavage 2007-05-02 12:44PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread (And Lots, Lots of Me)

You sound like a cross between Ned Lamont and Bill Gates with a dash of Kent Brockman.

by joejoejoe 2007-05-02 12:46PM | 0 recs
Murdoch's WSJ bid

Interesting little bit on Murdoch's WSJ bid, which the people who own Dow Jones turned down.

Ken Auletta of the New Yorker says:

He [Rupert Murdoch]'s always wanted to own The Wall Street Journal. He told me that years ago. And when I was doing a piece two years ago on Dow Jones, and the family that owns, or controls, Dow Jones, they made it clear to me that the last person in the world they wanted to own that paper was Rupert Murdoch.

Why?

What they said to me was that they worry that his politics would spill not just on to the editorial page, which is close to his views, but on to the news pages. And they didn't want politics to bleed into the news pages.

The Bancrofts were saying that they didn't trust Murdoch to maintain the integrity of the newspaper?

That is correct. And that becomes a big issue. And that's one of the reasons, I think, that they rejected this incredibly lavish offer of $60 a share that he made yesterday.
...
Are there other possible buyers who might have a chance to get The Wall Street Journal?

When I was doing my piece two years ago, the family made it clear they were not sellers. But if the Graham family that owns The Washington Post were to make a bid, they would be interested in that. And the second choice at the time was Bloomberg. They thought they were two people that respected good journalism.

The Graham family tends to be low-ballers. So that offer never materialized, at least one that would be attractive to the family.

As this goes on, there might be other bidders. But it's hard to imagine that other bidders would bid $60 a share, which is a very rich price.

by Silent sound 2007-05-02 12:52PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread (And Lots, Lots of Me)

What exactly is a rally supposed to accomplish?

No, seriously.  It's not going to sway the votes of any politicians.  It's not going to create moving images such as black children being attacked with dogs and firehoses.  I doubt it's going to switch very many people from passive to active opponents of the war.

Rallying for the sake of rallying just strikes me as more of the children of '72 being "inept at the nuts-and-bolts of electoral politics".  It's the counterpart of the Matthew Yglesias Green Lantern Theory of Geopolitics wherein Republicans act as if any foreign threat can be overcome if we have the willpower to use force.

I posit the existence of a counterpart Green Lantern Theory of Domestic Politics, wherein some liberals think that if you get enough people together and show enough willpower, anything can be accomplished.  Bush ain't changing his mind, no matter how many people you get dancing in the streets.

Someone tell me how rallying vs not rallying will have any practical effect on the future.

by Anthony de Jesus 2007-05-02 12:57PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread (And Lots, Lots of Me)

Neat. I like that video format; have been thinking about it since I first saw the dual-view in the new ichat. Hopefully this kind of thing will evolve and we'll get more and more substantive conversations in the video medium as well.

I'm a text lover, but sight and sound help make things popular.

by Josh Koenig 2007-05-02 01:02PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread (And Lots, Lots of Me)

Go Get Em!

My nearest event was three hours away.

by ObamaEdwards2008 2007-05-02 01:12PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread (And Lots, Lots of Me)

Apropos of nothing, I've never seen Chris before. I pictured him being chubby and blondish.

I crack myself up...

by jazzy 2007-05-02 01:23PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread (And Lots, Lots of Me)

Army Squeezes Soldier Blogs, Maybe to Death

http://www.wired.com/politics/onlinerigh ts/news/2007/05/army_bloggers

by bsavage 2007-05-02 02:32PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread (And Lots, Lots of Me)

One of the BloggingHead commentors called Chris a Communist.

by emerald 2007-05-02 03:07PM | 0 recs
Hey Chris

I had no idea the path you'd followed before watching the video. Circa 1970 the Teaching Assistants Association in Madison was a major recruitment ground for labor and political activists and we sent many of them forth -- guys like Bob Muelenkamp, our strike leader in 1970. I still have a soft spot for the TAA.

by MikeB 2007-05-02 09:00PM | 0 recs