Open Thread

Tell the world what is one your mind.

Update: OK, the polls just closed. About 185 people voted in my division (precinct), with three people turned away at the end because they were a minute or two late. I should have done a better job making sure the people running the polls were staying open at the end. 160 of the people who voted were registered Democrats, which means we had somewhere between 36%-46% of the registered Democrats in the division vote, depending on how many of the people listed as registered votes still live in the division. I guess that isn't too bad for a primary, but back in November, about 300 local Democrats voted. I wanted to break 50%.

I won't be live-blogging any results tonight. I'm going to an after-election party in my ward. for once, I want to relax and enjoy myself as the numbers come in. Try to find a way to enjoy yourself tonight, too.

Tags: Open Threads (all tags)

Comments

simple

I really, really want to see Michael Nutter win tonight.  It's about time that the smartest, and not the richest or best-connected, won a race.

by Adam B 2007-05-15 01:44PM | 0 recs
Jerry Falwell

As a gay man, I cant help but feel good that Jerry Falwell will finally leave us alone and stop blaming us for everything underthe sun!

by NOLAUSA 2007-05-15 01:49PM | 0 recs
Re: Jerry Falwell

Criers were going through the Castro today, and there's an impromptu mourning/celebration at 5PM at 18th and Castro with the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence.

by aip 2007-05-15 03:49PM | 0 recs
Re: Jerry Falwell

Dang. I miss San Francisco. :-)

by Oregonian 2007-05-15 03:56PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

Anybody comment on Larry Sabato's forecast for the 2008 House races.  Sabato shows Republicans holding more seats under 55% (33) than Democrats (28, 25 of them freshmen/women).  His comments talk about two possibilities:  Republicans take back Congress or Republicans take back a lot of the Democrats' margin.  Of course, historically, out year gains have been held (presidential gains suffer off year losses).  Then Sabato calls the Democrats margin certainly one of the smaller GHouse majorities of congressional history."  The Republicans held on to a smaller majority for the previous twelve years (1995 through 2007).

BTW, Republicans remain far more vulnerable in their House seats than Democrats with a huge edge in seats won with under 60% of the vote.  Using 2008racetracker.com, 109 GOP seats were won with a majority of 60% or more (55 in the South).  Nearly all the Democratic House seats (183) fall into that category.  So 93 GOPers are in trouble vs. only 50 Democrats.  And half of those have a good chance of scooting past the frosh tight wins and emerging with solid seats.

by David Kowalski 2007-05-15 01:52PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

Anyone have any thoughts about the Los Angeles school board elections. Mayor Villaraigosa has a chance to win a majority for his plans, while the teachers union (UTLA) is trying to hang on to its influence? Turnout will be tiny. Impact could be large -- or at least loud and messy.

by janinsanfran 2007-05-15 02:04PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

Two things.  I'm worried that Chris can't spell "on" correctly... ;-)

And I'm thinking of a good question to ask to keep a conversation rolling.  Neither are really relevant to politics.

Also, Kansas City, MO (Now former) mayor somebody somebody (a woman) announced her bid against somebody somebody in Missouri's 6th district.  Kansas City, MO lands in Missouri's 6th district.  So she's playing on some familiar ground in her bid for the US House.

by JeremiahTheMessiah 2007-05-15 02:06PM | 0 recs

Three things*

Chris can't spell and I can't count... sigh

(I was going with two, then I decided to at the mayor running for house thing.  Bah.)

by JeremiahTheMessiah 2007-05-15 02:11PM | 0 recs
MO-6

Correct.  Former Kansas City Mayor Kay Barnes (she left office May 1 after two terms because of term limits) announced she is filing to run as a Democrat in MO-6 against the incumbent, Graves, whose brother was the U.S. Attorney in Missouri who was forced out by Abu G. so he could be replaced by Scholzman.

Barnes is a conservative, business-oriented, third-way, Chamber of Commerce, pro-developer Democrat surrounded by advisors with connections to what remains of the Clinton Missouri operation from the 1992 and 1996 elections.

She may have a chance of knocking off Graves in this fairly Republican district.

by Arthurkc 2007-05-15 07:17PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

I wish I believed in Hell so I could imagine that evil prick Falwell roasting there.

by Oregonian 2007-05-15 02:37PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

I feel a bit a guilty for my thoughts on Falwell's death.  Others on here have echoed the sentiment, but it makes me feel a bit guilty.

by yitbos96bb 2007-05-15 02:44PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

I've never felt so guilt-free while rejoicing at someone's death. Makes it a lot easier that he was an old man. It is always sad when a young person dies, no matter how evil, because of that slim chance they could change their ways. Falwell wasn't going to change. So, good riddance.

by LandStander 2007-05-15 02:58PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

Remember Falwell would have had(Gosh that feels great to put that in past tense) no problem sending you to eternal damnation or making your life a living hell! So don't feel like you are a bad person, hes the one that worked hard for the reaction all of us are having to his passing!

by NOLAUSA 2007-05-15 03:59PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

Well I guess he would have since I believe in an allegorical view of the bible (as did the original Christians) (I'm not gay nor an aethiest)...  I guess I never saw him as intentionally evil... just severely severly severly misguided and wrong in his interpretations.  It's a fine line... I guess I'd consider him evil IF I thought he didn't believe what he said and manipulated others to get what he wanted.  But I truly believe HE believed what he was doing was right... He was WRONG of course, but I guess that's the fine line I see there.

by yitbos96bb 2007-05-15 05:29PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

Just to share with the group - I went to my first Drinking Liberally here in SF last night. Very fun time. I showed up rather early and got drunk waiting for everyone to arrive - so I was fairly 'animated' once the group was there!

And to my utter surprise, there was even one Hillary supporter there! :)

by LandStander 2007-05-15 03:00PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

I wish the straw poll could have been kept open longer. I tried to vote and was shut out. In the West it was closed long before most of us got off work. It's not even 4:30 out here now.

I realize a recent straw poll was the opposite, started late in the day and theoretically when more voters from western time zones would have influence.

by Gary Kilbride 2007-05-15 03:19PM | 0 recs
"War Czar"?

So.

Who's this guy?

And what on earth do we make of this? Between this new news and the talk of direct talks with Iran about Iraq, it almost sounds like the administration is preparing to do an about-face on the Iraq policy it's followed since the beginning of the year.

by Silent sound 2007-05-15 04:19PM | 0 recs
Re: "War Czar"?

I think the only action the "war czar" can take to improve the situation in Iraq is to replace the commander-in-chief.

by Winston Smith 2007-05-15 08:18PM | 0 recs
More Gas on Gas Action

Dominici likes lists does he?

Well I hope everyone with one energy conscious bone in their body has Binghaman and Dominici on their Congressional list for removal.

I'm listening to the Senate's 'Summer Energy Outlook' hearing with the same sobs of supply and demand and the refineries woes and the other sameo bullshit excuses we've heard since Bush came in.

These two New Mexican clones have had their way with our nozzles for too long now and show a complete disregard for the working public at large and our country's resources as a whole.

Remember the $5.00 and 6.00 prices after Katrina?
The same panel convened to discuss price gouging, and never to this day has this committee found any evidence of it.
But worse, in front of EXXON, BP, and the others our Democratic Bingaman had one question only when it came his turn:
"How can we make the American people conserve more?"

Our resources, our people deserve more respectful treatment.
And we desperately need more new blood on these committees to counter the musty smell wafting from the Senate chambers.

by hazmaq 2007-05-15 06:05PM | 0 recs