Let Us Work For You, Afternoon Update
by Chris Bowers, Fri Apr 06, 2007 at 01:19:03 PM EDT
In the comments to the first Let Us Work For You thread earlier today, many readers had questions about the fundraiser. I would like to use this thread to answer those questions all at once:
- In this instance, your donation goes directly to Matt and myself, and not to an organization such as BlogPac or MyDD. We want to be directly accountable to you, and we want to have more time to spend on all of the campaigns and projects you feel are important.
- Yes, the money will be used to help us do things like pay our rent, but we also regularly invest our own money in the campaigns and projects on which we work. Blogging costs money in the form of computers, multimedia equipment, travel expenses, internet access, and a whole host of opportunity costs. As such, your donation is as much an investment in progressive infrastructure as it is an investment in me and Matt.
- Since we are private individuals, and since you are receiving a service in return--our ability to do more work on the campaigns, projects and content that matter to you--there are no legal issues to worry about here. That goes for people who are living overseas as well.
- The only email you will ever receive as a result of your donation will be a thank you email that I will send out later today or tomorrow morning.
- We will not become partisans on behalf of any candidate as a result of your donation.
Put us to work. Let's reach our fundraising goals.
Update: As of 6:30 p.m., there have been 87 donors, who gave given a combined $5,350. We are getting there.
Last update before bed: 109 donors, and $6,532.26. Wow--amazing. I'll talk about this more later on.