1Q Fundraising Totals

Clinton     $26M (4.2)             $10M    $36M            50,000
Obama       $24M?                                          83,500
Edwards     $14M (3.3)    $1M              $14M            40,000
Richardson  $6M                                    $5M
Dodd        $4M                    $5M     $9M     $7.5M
Biden       $3M                            $1M

Tags: 2008 candidates (all tags)

Comments

I hope Obama

reports 1st quarter primary only money to put pressure on Billary.

Hillary is clearly hiding this.

Hillary was also the first and most agressive in pushing for 4600$ donations for both primary and general.

by TarHeel 2007-04-02 05:26AM | 0 recs
OT

I know I've asked you this before, but I have a short memory, do we know each other? I THINK I know who you are....: )

Email me if you want.

by Robert P 2007-04-02 08:52AM | 0 recs
35m ???

Again: where do you keep getting that $35 million number?

by jforshaw 2007-04-02 05:31AM | 0 recs
Re: 35m ???

I think he'll come in higher than 22M, how much higher?

by Jerome Armstrong 2007-04-02 05:34AM | 0 recs
Specifically 35, though

You came out with that number a couple of days ago. That number didn't show anywhere else. Now the 21 number has gotten thrown around a lot more, and you're sticking to the 35 -- how come?

by jforshaw 2007-04-02 05:42AM | 0 recs
Re: Specifically 35, though

I'm wondering that, too. The $35M figure is definitely trying to raise expectations, but who is responsible and why are they interested in doing that?

by KCinDC 2007-04-02 06:19AM | 0 recs
Re: Specifically 35, though

He took the numhber of Donors Obama posted on his site and then guessed an average amount per donor (based off of Dean's numbers in 2004) to get the spread...If I remember correctly it was from a few days ago.

by yitbos96bb 2007-04-02 06:23AM | 0 recs
Re: Specifically 35, though

I am frankly surprised that the money situation seems to be so important. For me, Obama getting so much support from the net is what matters. Only Dean posted the kind of numbers obama is posting and it doesn't matter to me, personally - if the people who are contributing to Obama's campaign can only give 20.00 bucks a piece at this point - I am glad that they are there.

And again, I am not 100 percent certain that Obama represents something real and strong but I Am sure that, like Howard Dean - he has the broadest base of support online and to me , that means, America in general. The number of donors is far more important to me, personally.

If its really all about the money, then why not lionize the lobbyists who can increase these numbers three fold? Would it not be possible for the lobbyists, with the help of certain "thought leaders" who would be on paid commission - to generate buzz amongst the net roots + garner large amounts of small donations together with behind-the-scenes monetary transactions?

IMHO its not about the money here - Obama is 14,000 online donors clear of a distant second place hillary clinton and almost twice the number of third place Edwards.

Also what is interesting to me is just how much bill richardson raised. Six Million is alot of money. Not sure where he's getting it but Richardsons credentials are coming in strong and he may bring something nice to the table over biden and dodd, et. al. in the second tier. Again however I am mixing my metaphors. I am almost certain that Bill Richardsons money is coming from big donors - but the character of the donor would be interesting. Would this be Soros? For example? Certainly not the DLC.  At any rate, Bill Richardson is a great voice to have in the debate and New Mexico is emminently winnable!!

by heyAnita 2007-04-02 07:01AM | 0 recs
Re: Specifically 35, though

If numbers of donors are important, consider this:

- Hillary reported 50,000 donors

• Edwards reported 40,000 donors
  • Obama reported 83,000 donors (rounded)

It suggests to me, online or offline as it may be, that Obama's appeal is significantly wider spread than others in his field.

by jamiek 2007-04-02 07:05AM | 0 recs
Re: Specifically 35, though

Right now, the donor number isn't that big a deal... as we go along though it does, because if you have a lot of money from a small donor base, then those DOnors are probably maxed out at $2300.  If you have a big base, you can keep raising money for the next few quarters... this was the Genius of Dean with fundraising and the playbook that Obama and Edwards seem to be using as well.

by yitbos96bb 2007-04-02 09:32AM | 0 recs
Re: Specifically 35, though

Your total for Edwards is only online donors.

by clarkent 2007-04-02 10:38AM | 0 recs
Re: Specifically 35, though

Who indeed.

by aiko 2007-04-02 07:00AM | 0 recs
Re: 1Q Fundraising Totals

Wow. Obama at $22-35..... I don't know about that but anything within the margin of Hillary's $26m, will silent Hillary, thank goodness. It is it funny that Hillary had to leak her report to Drudge just get on the headline. Drudge........ The man that made the Big Dawg's life a living hell.... This woman will stoop to any depth to become president. Thank God, Obama and the people will stop her.

I am sure the delay in reporting must be due to the donation the campaign got on March 31st during his Nationwide kick off which was held in over 5,000 homes in 50 US states. I attended one in Houston and I was 1 of 30 people in attendance who happily and enthusiastically made a late donation.

For a reminder, Hillary spent over $39m in her NY Senate race against a token opponent. The real question is how much money does she have on hand? Inquiry minds want to know.

by mdiogu 2007-04-02 05:37AM | 0 recs
Re: 1Q Fundraising Totals

When potentially 250,000 people (or more) attended house parties across America it is a great example of people empowered politics.  Isn't that what the liberal blogosphere stands for?  Regular people taking back the political machine from the hacks.  That's what those house parties meant to me.  It was a fantastic event/experience.

by aiko 2007-04-02 07:06AM | 0 recs
Re: 1Q Fundraising Totals
I heard on MSNBC just now that reports are surfacing that Obama raised 24 million.
It cannot be confirmed yet but, this is huge.
by vwcat 2007-04-02 06:12AM | 0 recs
Re: 1Q Fundraising Totals

I wonder how much is Internet? If a significant portion, then that is HUGE for Obama...

by yitbos96bb 2007-04-02 06:25AM | 0 recs
I'm sure a large chunk

will be internet....

probably something like 8 million on internet...

by TarHeel 2007-04-02 06:27AM | 0 recs
Re: I'm sure a large chunk

I think you are right !

by heyAnita 2007-04-02 07:03AM | 0 recs
Re: I'm sure a large chunk

I'm hoping for more frankly.

by yitbos96bb 2007-04-02 09:32AM | 0 recs
Re: 1Q Fundraising Totals

If so, this is more reason I believe Hillary is going to go balls to the wall against him.  The Obama v Clinton race will make Edwards look like the Second Coming.

by Vox Populi 2007-04-02 06:26AM | 0 recs
yep.

as people realize HIllary is tapping out her donors and Obama has a larger donor base  Hillary will face a real dilemma..

I'm hoping Obama only releases primary numbers... I'll bet he beat or matched hillary on that

by TarHeel 2007-04-02 06:28AM | 0 recs
Re: 1Q Fundraising Totals

Yeah, I have that big fear... Edwards is in position where Obama needs to be... a comfortable 3rd... not to close to get the Billary Slime Machine after him, but close enough that he can bide time until October and then PUSH HARD... which is what Obama did in the Senate Primary to great effect in 2004.

This puts Obama in a tough position... he is preaching a new brand of politics without the cutthroat Billary tactics, but he also should know if she slimes him, he needs to not come off as weak.  It is a tough tough thing to do without fucking up his message...  If he pulls it off though, it should show people that he would be able to win in the General.

Right now, looking at all the Senators, Governors, etc out there, I still think our best bet is an Obama/Edwards or Edwards/Obama ticket.  A strong 8 years for either man can set the other up for a very very strong run in 2016 and bring about 16 years of progressive values.

My biggest worry with Edwards still remains Elizabeth's health.  I have said he has done what was right for him and I stay by it.  My fear is that if he gains a bunch of momentum and then she, god forbid, takes a turn for the worse (and by this I mean terminal), he will either drop out to be with her shifting some momentum to HRC (as he said Family is the most important thing) or suspend his campaign and then lose momentum to HRC.  I don't want to see her as the nom.

So I have two fears of my two favorite candidates... Obama plays it too safe the whole campaign (I don't think he will and I think we will see more as time goes on, although I am sure a few people will fly off the handle and take his words the wrong way again before the end of the campaign the way certain people did this weekend) or can't figure out a way to sell his message and combat the Clinton Slime Machine and Edwards gets strong and then goes on hiatus or quits if god forbid, his wife takes a turn for the worst.

by yitbos96bb 2007-04-02 09:43AM | 0 recs
Re: 1Q Fundraising Totals

It's odd to me that none of the Republicans have announced their totals yet.

by Vox Populi 2007-04-02 06:34AM | 0 recs
Romney at 11AM EST

by TarHeel 2007-04-02 06:37AM | 0 recs
Re: Romney at 11AM EST

The Demos will smoke them. They might as well hold the bad news for a little while.

The Dems will smoke everybody except for Romney, that is... if he raises under 25m I will be (pleasantly) surprised.

by jforshaw 2007-04-02 06:44AM | 0 recs
Romney raised

6 million in one day..

by TarHeel 2007-04-02 06:45AM | 0 recs
Re: Romney raised

That's more than Richardson's entire quarter.

Romney is leading in Congressional endorsements, probably in money raised, why is he not taken more serious?

by Vox Populi 2007-04-02 06:46AM | 0 recs
he's undergone

the most recent conversion to hard core conservative so he's not authentic, plus mormon's don't poll well in the South where republicans do well,

if you wan't a moderate there's giuliani, if you want a panderer to the right there's McCain why risk it on the mormon who was touting his gay and prochoice credentials only a few years ago...

by TarHeel 2007-04-02 06:51AM | 0 recs
Re: Romney at 11AM EST

Romney's projected for $19-21M.

National Journal's Hotline has been my go-to for predictions (http://hotlineblog.nationaljournal.com/a rchives/2007/03/the_1st_quarter_1.html).  So far, they've been on the mark:

Sen. Hillary Clinton will raise between $23M and $30M. [Hillary raised $26M]

Sen. John McCain will raise between $18M and $22M.

Sen. Barack Obama will raise between $18M and $24M. [Obama rumored to be in this range, TBD]

Ex-MA Gov. Mitt Romney will raise between $19M and $21M.

Ex-Sen. John Edwards will raise between $13M and $17M. [Edwards raised $14M]

Ex-NYC Mayor Rudy Giuliani will raise between $12M and $15M. [Guiliani raised $15M]

by jamiek 2007-04-02 07:02AM | 0 recs
Re: Romney at 11AM EST

Romney raises $20.63M.

"Romney for President raised $23 million in total receipts for the First Quarter ending March 31, 2007. The Campaign opted to raise no general election funds and raised $20.63 million in primary contributions.

The total includes a $2.35 million loan from Governor Romney and a $20,000 transfer from his 1994 Senate campaign.

Contributions were received from all 50 States and Washington, D.C."

by jamiek 2007-04-02 07:13AM | 0 recs
Re: Romney at 11AM EST

So he out-raised Clinton AND likely Obama.  AND his amounts are all primary numbers.  Truly amazing.

by Vox Populi 2007-04-02 07:38AM | 0 recs
Re: Romney at 11AM EST

2 million of the 23 is a personal loan.

HOWEVER, ROMNEY has done something smart by saying this is only for the primary  -- he very well could have outraised Hillary for the primary.

Hotline is ranking him #1  and Hillary 2 or 3 based on what Obama does..

by TarHeel 2007-04-02 07:41AM | 0 recs
Re: 1Q Fundraising Totals

According to Hotline (http://hotlineblog.nationaljournal.com/), Guiliani raised $15M with $10M cash on hand.

by jamiek 2007-04-02 06:51AM | 0 recs
Re: 1Q Fundraising Totals

Because he polls similarly to Ron Paul.

by jforshaw 2007-04-02 06:48AM | 0 recs
oops, that was meant to reply to the question...

about why Romney isn't taken more seriously... my mistake.

by jforshaw 2007-04-02 06:49AM | 0 recs
About Guiliani

I think I would like to share a dinner conversation I had with my friends this past weekend.

One of my friends made a very interesting comment. He said if Guiliani makes the nomination he will have big baggage to carry around regarding national security.

I think Jerome posted about how Guiliani has a problem there, citing that he put Al Qaeda Task Force HQ right in the Twin Towers - essentially helping Al Qaeda to destroy the FBI special task force hunting them down with his rent-saving penny-wise pound-foolish approach.

But what my friend said was - What about that Nominee for Department of Homeland Security Chief, that Rudy Guiliani gave to Pres. Bush?

I remembered when my friend said it, what happened to Guiliani's numbers. They dropped like a rock.

Apparently that person had ties to the mob + Guiliani knew about it and still recommended him to Dept. of Homeland Security.  Kind of makes..

"Brownie you're doing a heck of a job!! "

Seem kind of tame, by comparison doesn't it? I also seem to vaguely remember that the guy had an illegal alien working for him or something like that..

:-)

There just seems to be so much that Guiliani will trip and fall over... Don't know..

by heyAnita 2007-04-02 07:07AM | 0 recs
Page Formatting at Mydd.com

At least once a week, it seems, the site has a front page article that contains about 12" or more of white space where the article is supposed to be.  In this case, right after the Obama numbers there is a gap of maybe 24 inches before the Edwards numbers.

I run IE 7.0 (along with 80%+ of the world), so I'm guessing that some posters here use firefox or whatever and don't check their posts to see if it posts correcting with MS Internet Explorer.

Please, please, folks, this is just so amateurish.  Check your work!

by JimPortlandOR 2007-04-02 08:54AM | 0 recs
Kucinich, Gravel numbers?
...must not be very good, I'm guessing.  Based on these numbers, and polling, I'm thinking Biden should drop out unless he hits one out of the park at the first debate.  Dodd's on the bubble, he has decent money and his message resonates fairly well, though I'm still not sure why he's running.
Richardson will need to raise double his amount, every quarter for the rest of the year, to try to move into the upper ranks. If not, I suspect he'll drop out sometime in the 3rd or 4th quarter.
Edwards is competitive, and I think Hillary won't exceed her numbers this quarter, the rest of the year.  Obama might, though.
by megaplayboy 2007-04-02 09:03AM | 0 recs
Re: 1Q Fundraising Totals

I'm confused. Why are we listing a guess for Obama? It's only a guess, and if he comes in higher or lower than $24M, then we've virtually made up a story for him over these last days.

He decided to not release his numbers yet - any coverage on him should not have a made up number.

by wanderingpolitico 2007-04-04 06:01AM | 0 recs