Open Thread

Tell the world what is on your mind.

Also, unless I am mistaken, the CBC debate on Fox News is still going forward. Considering that Obama, Edwards and Clinton have all dropped out, someone needs to step in and tell the CBC to shut it down. It could come from other candidates, such as Richardson and Dodd, if they also drop out. It could come from other CBC members, such as my congressman, Chaka Fattah, who don't want the CBC to look silly holding a debate between only Biden, Gravel and Kucinich. It is time to put this thing out of its misery.

Tags: Open Threads (all tags)

Comments

Re: Open Thread

I'm sort of stunned Richardson hasn't dropped yet... he dropped the first one.

by yitbos96bb 2007-04-19 01:30PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

You know...we could do worse than having, say, Gravel debate Kucinich for an hour & a half on Fox.

by howardpark 2007-04-19 01:32PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

80 minutes of "You're so right," mixed with 10 minutes of disagreement on taxes?

by craverguy 2007-04-19 01:36PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

or 80 minutes of everyone (candidates and Fox both) agreeing with each other about how bad Clinton, Obama and Edwards are and 10 minutes of policy?

by awgupta 2007-04-19 06:23PM | 0 recs
Here's what Joe Trippi wrote here:

"Over the Christmas Weekend Matt Stoller started a conversation about John Edwards that got me thinking again about the difference between transactional politics and transformational politics.

I had an epithany one day in the middle of the Dean campaign about what made us so different...

Its incredibly simple and defines what I now believe is the essential ingredient in any campaign or candidacy that hopes to be transformational.

All modern campaigns and transactional campaogns are built around a candidate who proclaims to the nation "Look at me -- aren't I amazing?".

The Dean campaign (and any transformational campaign successful or not) was built around a candidate who proclaimed "Look at you -- aren't you amazing?"

This strikes me as essential.  More than ideology, or any other factor -- true transformational leadership can only come from a candidate who fundmentally gets that it isn't about him/her -- its about us.

So in terms of 2008 is Hillary capable or realizing that she is not the center of the universe -- that the political world and even her own campaign does not revolve around her?    Obama?  Edwards? Who? Anyone?

The Dean campaign was different not because of ideology or because of opposition to the war -- but because it revolved around its supporters and empowered them.  It was the only campaign in a long time that realized that the people were more important than the candidate.

<James MacGregor Burns wrote "A transformational leader stands on the shoulders of his followers, expressing coherently those ideas which lie inchoate in the hearts of the followers -- and in the process makes his followers into new leaders.">

Al Gore is doing this right now around the issue of Global Warming.   Dean did it in 2004 for President.  Who in 2008?"

I guess we have our answer.

by david mizner 2007-04-19 01:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

In New Hampshire, John Lynch has FINALLY come around with Civil Unions.  He said today that he will sign the Civil Unions bill.  It has been scheduled for a vote in the NH Senate for Wednesday.

by nhcollegedem 2007-04-19 01:35PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

YEAH!!!  Good News...

SO How many states is that now...

Vermont
New Hamshire
Mass (Marriage)

Any I am leaving out?

by yitbos96bb 2007-04-19 03:23PM | 0 recs
let's google-bomb Fred Thompson

I think the time to act is now, before he makes it official. A lot of people may be looking him up six months from now.

by desmoinesdem 2007-04-19 01:57PM | 0 recs
Re: let's google-bomb Fred Thompson

I wasn't around for the heyday of google-bombing (though I hear the legends). However, I think I recall a front-page post saying that it was a dangerous tactic because it invoked negative PR. Was that my imagination?

by LandStander 2007-04-19 02:07PM | 0 recs
Re: let's google-bomb Fred Thompson

someone should research the "best" articles and post a diary on it.  That's a necessary step, and a good idea anyway.

by John DE 2007-04-19 05:53PM | 0 recs
I don't watch Fox News

But I'd make an exception to see Kucinich debate Biden!

by js5 2007-04-19 01:58PM | 0 recs
Re: I don't watch Fox News

There would much rolling of the eyes and gnashing of teeth.

by cilerder86 2007-04-19 04:13PM | 0 recs
Bob Kerrey

Wasn't he part of the DLC when he was in the Senate?

by Calvin Jones and the 13th Apostle 2007-04-19 03:02PM | 0 recs
I think so, but more important

he has always been the media's go-to Democrat in favor of privatizing Social Security. I don't know why that's a hobby horse for him.

by desmoinesdem 2007-04-19 03:19PM | 0 recs
Re: I think so, but more important

And he thinks he'll get more than one term riding that horse?  Because what ever Republiscum would run against him will bring it up, even though said Republiscum would also vote to privatize.

by Calvin Jones and the 13th Apostle 2007-04-19 03:45PM | 0 recs
I think obama attracts some Deaniacs

I see the former Deaniacs largely undecided but probably likely to end up with Edwards or Obama. Some are already in one camp or the other, or leaning toward one of those two. I don't hear any former Dean supporters talking about Clinton or Richardson.

by desmoinesdem 2007-04-19 03:18PM | 0 recs
Re: I think obama attracts some Deaniacs

Well Hillary I can understand as she is the polar opposite of Dean... Richardson's been saying the right things lately on Iraq and has a LOT of foreign policy experience, but ultimately his values are closer to HRC than to Obama and Edwards.  I guess it comes down to your most important issues when picking a candidate...

by yitbos96bb 2007-04-19 03:22PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

I don't know, this debate would be hilariously entertaining.  Just holding this illegitimate debate reduces Fox News' credibility even further.

by cilerder86 2007-04-19 04:11PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

Well, California Domestic Partnerships are really almost as good as Civil Unions in CT, NJ, VT and NH.

by nhcollegedem 2007-04-19 04:41PM | 0 recs
right

I think NJ ruled that a CA domestic parternship will be viewed as an NJ civil union (not the lesser NJ domestic partnership, which still exists)

by John DE 2007-04-19 05:52PM | 0 recs
Re: right

I hadn't realized NJ and CT passed the Civil Union laws.

by yitbos96bb 2007-04-19 06:25PM | 0 recs
Re: right

5 down, 45 to go.  Get the civil unions then maybe we can get marriage.

by yitbos96bb 2007-04-19 06:25PM | 0 recs
The war was an act of cartelist treason.

The war was an act of cartelist treason.

The invasion was engineered to produce a chaotic occupation and an inefficient reconstruction.

The goal was profits for the war and oil cartels and the aggrandizement of the role of war & war spending in our foreign & budget policy for the this and the next decade.

The only military threat to the United States is our own war cartel.

We need to starve it until we can put it on a short chain with a muzzle.

Arguments that the President and his Administration were so absurdly incompetent as they would have had to have been to produce this situation are utterly incredible.

Republican voters are defecting not because of the failure of plutocratic-republican policies but because of their extraordinary, catastrophic success.

The republicans have accomplished every plutocratic, cartelist & obstructionist objective at home.

The initiation of the war itself represents the most brazen crime ever committed by a President. To that the violation of human rights and civil liberties--the war crimes, the torture, the suspension of habeas corpus, the undermining of international law--are ancillary crimes.

The President and the Vice President must be impeached, and Bush, Cheney, Rove, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz & Rice, with others, must be tried for and convicted of Treason according to Article III Section 3 of our Constitution.

Where is the "Democratic" Congress? Why aren't they serving the American people, educating them about what happened? Already, even with their collusion with the traitors, even with the extreme cartelist slant of the for-profit media, a growing majority  of Americans are discovering the truth.

The DLC--indeed, the majority of Congressional Democrats--voted for this war knowing it was a lie.

They have persistently colluded with the President, even going so far as to tolerate a debate set by Orwellian, Pavlovian virals like "support our troops" and "fight them there," in some cases even adopting and spreading the virals themselves....

America has been betrayed by both parties and even now the betrayal continues.

by Doc Twain 2007-04-20 09:04AM | 0 recs