Open Thread

This is a late night open thread. My off-topic contribution? It looks like my kind of date is finally coming into fashion:
In New York and other northeastern urban centers, including Washington and Boston, gray matter is the new black of the hip social scene. Thousands of young singles and couples are eschewing the perfunctory dinner and a movie for a growing circuit of late-night museum prowls, Oxford-style debates with pre-feud cocktail parties and book readings with cash bars and after-hour bands. In New York, even spelling bee nights have popped up as a romantic twist for the chic, unmarried and grammatically gifted.
The idea that stuff like this is now cool both reminds me of a certain Huey Lewis song, and gives me hope for my personal future. We can go on our own, late-night nerdy date by taking the Pew News IQ quiz. However, just so you know, if you don't get a perfect score, I am breaking up with you.

This an an open thread. Tell the world what is on your mind.

Tags: Culture, Open Threads (all tags)

Comments

Re: Open Thread

If I could beat you up through this blog, I would.

by Matt Stoller 2007-04-16 08:30PM | 0 recs

I gotta admit: I LOLed.

by HellofaSandwich 2007-04-16 09:01PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

This was a test??? This liberal site and this idiot test only proves what dopes you guys are.

C'mon, you really didn't know most of these answers?

My 12 year old did this test and got a 65%

by pilot16 2007-04-16 11:06PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

Tell me though you've never felt like saying that... I have felt it, but the ridiculousness of the statement makes it such a stupid thing to write down.

We still love you Matt.  We'll love you even more if you send us some of those green pieces of paper with pictures of dead presidents and dead statesmen on them.

by yitbos96bb 2007-04-17 05:36AM | 0 recs
I'm itching to google-bomb someone else

Chris, McCain is sinking fast.

Can't we google-bomb Fred Thompson before he announces and prompts thousands of people to look him up?

by desmoinesdem 2007-04-16 08:32PM | 0 recs
Re: I'm itching to google-bomb someone else

I'd say our next target should be Rudy.  I can't imagine Fred Thompson being a difficult challange for any Democrat if he's the Republican nominee.  Rudy is the only one who sometimes beats Edwards/Clinton/Obama in general election matchups.

If we do Google-bomb Rudy, my suggestion would be an article about how NYC firefighters hate him.  If more people knew that, it would destroy his biggest perceived advantage.

by Fran for Dean 2007-04-16 10:07PM | 0 recs
Re: I'm itching to google-bomb someone else

Why can't we do more than one?  I mean we went after 20 plus last year to great effect... going after Rudy, Romney and THompson, plus McCain all at once should be fine.

by yitbos96bb 2007-04-17 05:37AM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

These are the donations to the candidates from the Great State of Oregon (from the NYT via BlueOregon):

Clinton: $30,103
Kucinich: $1,175
Thompson (R): $0
Gilmore (R): $0
Gravel (D): $351

Check out the map:
http://www.nytimes.com/ref/us/politics/2 008_EG_FINANCES.html

Looks like Edwards did pretty well here, and in the South.  Barack is draining Chicago, Atlanta, and got a boost out of Colorado, in addition to traditional blue states.  Hillary- NY, DC, FL, and Los Angeles.  Barack was rakin' it in scary, though!

by jallen 2007-04-16 08:39PM | 0 recs
I was surprised by the Iowa numbers

Edwards raised more than the others, but even he had less than $30,000 from Iowans. Can it be true that there are not 15 people in the state of Iowa who have maxed out to Edwards? That seems incredible to me.

The other Democratic candidates raised even less in Iowa. They must be going out of their way not to hold fundraisers here, but to concentrate on campaign events that will draw better media coverage.

by desmoinesdem 2007-04-16 08:42PM | 0 recs
Re: I was surprised by the Iowa numbers

Looks like only he and Romney raised significant money there.  Our top three did awesomely in the South, perhaps each raising more than any Republican candidate there, though I'm not sure about Giuliani (who raked it in in Texas and So Florida).  Obama beat EVERYONE in Oklahoma, with Edwards coming in 2nd.  Edwards got very little NYC/DC money (while beating Hillary in Western NY).  Hmm...

by jallen 2007-04-16 09:04PM | 0 recs
Re: I was surprised by the Iowa numbers

I'll bet you are right... wait until Q3 and the Iowa money will rise.

by yitbos96bb 2007-04-17 05:39AM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

I miss Portland... Probably, my most favorite place I have ever lived... Living downtown Portland...

Powell Books = BEST.BOOK.STORE.EVER

by yitbos96bb 2007-04-17 05:38AM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

Where is our candidate for VIrginia Senate? If Tom Davis ramping up for a run, where is our top tier candidate?

by bsavage 2007-04-16 09:14PM | 0 recs

Hopefully Mark Warner

by yitbos96bb 2007-04-17 05:40AM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

As usual I'm way out in front of the "chic set." I've been telling people for years the best way to pick up women is to go to a bar with a copy of Scientific American, order yourself a couple of drinks, then spend time reading about thoracic aneurysms and the how the predicted quadrapole moment of the cosmic black body background doesn't match the observations. Women just come flocking. At least that's what I tell my co-workers, and my wife of almost 30 years, and my two grown daughters (they all just put up with me).

Good luck, Chris.

by Bob Miller 2007-04-16 09:16PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread
Does that really work? I might just try that...
by Chris Bowers 2007-04-16 09:31PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread
    Thoracic aneurysms?  Do women slap you when you talk about those?
    I'm no better, what with my long-winded treatises on the greats of Russian literature.
    I believe the term you are all looking for is "power nerd."
by cilerder86 2007-04-16 09:42PM | 0 recs

I prefer the Economist.

Makes me look smart and stuff.

by JJCPA 2007-04-17 05:17AM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

This is weird to say, but I feel much more impacted by this, the Tax Day Massacre, than I ever did by the 9/11 attacks.  I live in a university dorm, in a gun-toting section of the state, and there is a history of this type of shooting.  Copy-cat crimes are pretty much common knowledge these days too.

by cilerder86 2007-04-16 09:32PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

what bars have enough light to read SciAm? Do I need to move?

by RacyMind 2007-04-16 09:34PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

Hell, here in Chicago there are bars that are well enough lit to read, and some even have books.  The Map Room has National Geographics and an assortment of travel magazines lining the walls and the Old Town Ale House has bookshelves.  Grab a pint, grab a book, and have at it.  I've even seen people studying at the Ale House.  Then there's the bars with free wifi.

by JJCPA 2007-04-17 05:19AM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

Hey I live in Houston.  There might be some well lit bars, but there is all too often 'sports' or 'hooters' in the title.

by RacyMind 2007-04-17 06:19AM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

TGIF. When I'm on travel, I always try to find a TGIF because they always have my two basic food groups: Bass Ale and Jim Beam. And there's usually a spot or two where you can comfortably read. It seems I never have time to read SciAm when I'm at home!

by Bob Miller 2007-04-17 12:04PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

I took the Pew IQ quiz...I got everything right except for one (which is kind of embarrassing): that Hillary Clinton announced that she was a candidate for president. Honestly, I thought she's only officially announced that she has an exploratory committee and wasn't a full-blown candidate.

Oh well. I can still take solace in the fact that I'm above every single average that's listed on the quiz.

by PsiFighter37 2007-04-16 09:45PM | 0 recs
Candlelight Vigil

Last night somewhere around 250 students gather on George Mason's campus for a candlelight vigil.  It was held at midnight - in the middle of the night on one of the darker days our nation has seen recently.  All of these college students gathered together and remembered those who had died or were injured, as well as their families and their friends.

More importantly everyone offered what they were thankful for.  The answers ranged from Jesus to parents to Hope.  That is what shone the brightest in the dark April night, that these students gathered together and recognized Hope.  Recognized that from every evil some good will arise... and there is always Hope for a better day.

by Obama08 2007-04-16 10:15PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

I'm out of touch-- I got the minimum wage wrong.  I thought it went from 5 something to 6 something.

My excuse is that I know it's much higher in the bay area here, so I just picked a number that seemed ludicrously low, yet somehow sickly plausible.

I guess things aren't quite that bad. . .

by spacespace 2007-04-16 11:43PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

I'd forgotten that the Senate had passed a min-wage bill.  Guess it's all over between us, Chris.

:snif: And we could have had such a good thing together. :snif:

by RT 2007-04-17 02:16AM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

Is there really a correlation between being "grammatically gifted" and being a good speller?

by Laurin from SC 2007-04-17 04:18AM | 0 recs
My husband and I like to go to Barnes and Nobles

We love to go to barnes and nobles. But then again, we also like to go jazz dancing too.

I guess my favorite date was the one where he took me sailing. the wind was very strong.  i miss our sailboat but i guess thats life if you have kids.

by heyAnita 2007-04-17 05:00AM | 0 recs
Re: My husband and I like to

I've taken dates to bookstores.  Borders or the neighborhood used book store.  They used book store stays open until 1 am on weekends.

by JJCPA 2007-04-17 05:22AM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

oooh oooh oooh I got them all right, when's our date?

by LY of Brooklyn 2007-04-17 06:18AM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread
I live in a little big town.  Rockford, IL.  It's a place where you assume most people are into the big box stores and crafts.  SUVs in front of endless subdivisions.  However, open to close, 7 days a week the parking lots are full at Barnes and Noble and Borders.  Friday and Saturday night is the place to bring your date.  The cafes are crowded with couples and friends, talking, debating, ect.  Aisles are crowded as well.
For the past 10 years they are the in spots for dating and getting together.
Books and ideas are sexy.
by vwcat 2007-04-17 07:15AM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread
     I think it might be nice, though, if we could have people lecturing about their areas of expertise. Why should Werner Herzog be telling us whether the 20th C. was a mistake or not? It's too late to do anything about it, anyway.
         The hype-y, fake-y intellectualism in NY can get a little tiring. But, in fairness, the real stuff is awesome. Did you see the Vonnegut clip from the 92Y floating around the 'sphere? So killer!
by sb 2007-04-17 07:18AM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

I draw the line before the spelling bee nights!

by howardpark 2007-04-17 09:15AM | 0 recs
Perfect score, I am so smart, S M R T

That quote about dating made me miss my native New England even more.  The women here in Texas are beautiful, but in the last year I have only met one woman with a degree in anything, and I've met a lot of women in the 27-35 age range.  However, they all have been much nicer than the women back home...

I think I will start administering that test to all prospective dates ;)

by skintigh 2007-04-17 10:26AM | 0 recs