Afternoon Open Thread

Here is an afternoon open thread for you:
  • I forgot how funny this was:

• Boy, the NCAA tournament committee really made a good call by including Stanford instead of Syracuse (or Drexel, or whoever). Nice pick.

• I just received word from the Tom Knox campaign that when they make endorsements, they will only be endorsing challengers in City Hall races.

• In contrast to a report from The Hill back on Tuesday, it is now clear the House Democratic leadership will use the whip on the Iraq supplemental. From subscription only Roll Call:
    In the meantime, House Majority Whip James Clyburn (D-S.C.) acknowledged Wednesday that the whip operation -- now being used to "survey" lawmakers on their support for the bill -- will be used when the spending bill moves to the House floor.

"We are getting ready," Clyburn said.
    Good. This is a solid report, which I have had confirmed by sources close to the leadership. They better use the whip on this, both because they currently do not have 218 votes, and because they better be willing to stand up for what is currently a watered down compromise. If they are not ready to go to bat for something this weak, what will they stand up for?

This has been a pretty painful process, and we should all expect it to go on for several more weeks. At the absolute minimum, Democrats have to at least make a good show of standing up against Bush and Republicans on Iraq. Failure to even do that minimal amount would be devastating.
Chat away.

Tags: Culture, House 2008, Iraq, Open Threads, Philadelphia (all tags)

Comments

'Cuse was ROBBED!

Robbed I tell ya.

by dpANDREWS 2007-03-15 11:12AM | 0 recs
Re: Afternoon Open Thread

Best part was the Fox News crawl.

by afertig 2007-03-15 11:31AM | 0 recs
Re: Afternoon Open Thread

Do Democrats cause cancer?
Study shows oil slicks beneficial to seals

and this at the very end:

Dan Quale: Awesome

hahaha...you know, as a canuck who had never seen FoxNews, the first time I saw that simpsons episode I didn't know what they were getting at exactly.

This was my introduction into their bias, so let it never be said putting a bit of honest politics into comedy fails entirely to get the word out.

by scientician 2007-03-15 11:56AM | 0 recs
So let me get this right...

On Tuesday, Clyburn tells the Hill guy that it's a vote of conscience and they won't be whipping.

And now he tells Roll Call that oh yes, we will be whipping.

So was the first comment a ruse de guerre to lull rebel Dems and the GOP into a false sense of security?

Or has the leadership changed its mind?

Or are they veering from pillar to post out of control?

Or is it Clyburn who's left the reservation solo?

Chris has sources; I don't. So I'd defer to him on these things up to a point.

But, based on the leadership's past performance (the abortion that was the handling of the Murtha Proviso, for instance), I'd err for the moment on the side of snafu rather than devilishly cunning plan!

by skeptic06 2007-03-15 11:40AM | 0 recs
Re: Afternoon Open Thread

Man Let it go!!!  Syracuse was screwed but the bitching won't fix it... I don't the NCAA people read MYDD ;-)

by yitbos96bb 2007-03-15 11:50AM | 0 recs
Re: Afternoon Open Thread

I just heard on the radio that even Mark Pryor is calling for Alberto to go.  Perhaps they should just impeach him.

by jallen 2007-03-15 12:05PM | 0 recs
Re: Afternoon Open Thread

I did tell Chris if Tom Knox endorsed anybody, it would probably be a challenger - but that was conjecture, based on something I heard around the office. I can't speak for whatever endorsements he does eventually make.

I can tell you that we didn't endorse the candidate Chris heard about, because we haven't endorsed ANYBODY.

To sum up: We didn't endorse anyone. We don't know yet who we'll endorse (if anyone).

by Susie Madrak 2007-03-15 12:33PM | 0 recs
Drexel

lost at home in the NIT.

Just sayin.

by RBH 2007-03-15 01:48PM | 0 recs
Re: Afternoon Open Thread

Please pass this email along to as many other people as you can. It is up to all Americans to discover the "truth." Like OJ, we should be on the hunt for the TRUE criminal ...

WWKSMD ???

by Khalid Did 2007-03-15 03:28PM | 0 recs
No Podiums Remain For NH Debate...Sorry, We're Ful

How many of you have heard this? This is NOT democracy! Whats next? Only Obama and Clinton?

We need to make a big fuss about this!

...former Sen. Edwards gets one, former Sen. Gravel does not. It's good to see the media taking care of us by narrowing the field and doing some pre-screening for us. I wonder if Gen. Clark meets "the criteria" for a podium. Here's a letter from Gravel's chairman.
---------------------------------------- ----------------------------
CNN AND LOCAL NEW HAMPSHIRE MEDIA IMPOSE CENSORSHIP AND TRASH FAIRNESS IN THE PRESIDENTIAL DEBATES

more here: