Open Thread

This is a thread for off-topic chatting, and other subversive activities.

Make sure to chime in on the latest MyDD Polling Project discussion. What sort of poll would you like to see on the 2008 primaries?

Also, don't forget to sign up for MyDD Madness in the ESPN Tournament Challenge. Group name: MyDD Madness. Password: MyDD. Deadline: tomorrow at noon. For the record, my bracket is mostly a statement of anger, rather than an attempt to pick accurately.

Tags: Open Threads (all tags)

Comments

Re: Open Thread

I guess you didn't pick Florida to repeat then did you?

by Double B 2007-03-14 05:28PM | 0 recs
I'm ABG

As a lifelong Canes fan I'm not hiding my distaste for the chicken Gators, in this tournament or elsewhere. Heck, they dropped us in basketball long before they found an excuse in football. Now they laughably hide behind the SEC-is-too-tough rationale in football. Meanwhile, the last time they risked an out of state non-conference road game was during the Bush 41 administration, a 38-21 loss to Syracuse in 1991. The gallant Gators said enough of that, so now all they slate is the likes of Western Kentucky, Troy State and Florida Atlantic, all at home. I wish that were exaggeration but it's Florida's actual 2007 opponents.

I don't like filling out brackets. That's too much like fantasy garbage. I'll have plenty of bets on the actual games. You had one joint here in Las Vegas make the predictable mistake today, cutting the first half totals in half. Amazingly that happens every year. They don't book the first halves all season so they don't pay attention and screw up in the postseason. College basketball is significantly higher scoring in the second half. A 140 total, for example, is supposed to be 65/75, not 70/70. But one place on the outskirts put up the 70/70 versions today. Luckily my friend and I caught it early. Kind of funny when you're going down the line betting every game under in the first half. When I moved here I remember an old guy told me, "kid, you'll make more money from a dumb bookmaker than having a sharp opinion."

by Gary Kilbride 2007-03-14 06:03PM | 0 recs
Re: I'm ABG

For the record, I was at that Syracuse U of Florida game in the Dome in 1991 and it wasn't even nearly as close as the score would indicate.  From the opening kickoff, all eyes were on Qadry Ismail and no one saw the reverse to Kirby Dar Dar until after he was flying down the sideline on route to a TD.  Great game, great memories.

by Mark J. Bowers 2007-03-14 08:29PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

I thought you had to have your picks in tonight?

by Karatist Preacher 2007-03-14 05:48PM | 0 recs
Hillary Clinton - NYT interview

The NYT has a new interview w/Hillary Clinton with a transcript and audio. The tease?

"In an interview, the senator said that she would keep a reduced military force in Iraq to fight Al Qaeda."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/14/washin gton/15clintontext.html

by joejoejoe 2007-03-14 05:49PM | 0 recs
Who said it?

"I think we have remaining vital national security interests in Iraq, and I've spoken about that on many different occasions.

I think it really does matter whether you have a failed province or a region that serves as a petri dish for insurgents and Al Qaeda. It is right in the heart of the oil region. It is directly in opposition to our interests, to the interests of regimes, to Israel's interests."

a) Dick Cheney at AIPAC
b) Joe Lieberman at Davos
c) John McCain at the American Legion
d) Hillary Clinton in the NYT

by joejoejoe 2007-03-14 06:05PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

Hey Peter Pace- which is more immoral: being gay, or killing people for money?

by jallen 2007-03-14 05:55PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

So speaking of polls, did you see the one where Hillary is leading by 21 points?

by Kingstongirl 2007-03-14 06:09PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

Did you see the ones last Cycle with Lieberman in the lead?  Its way to early at this point.

by yitbos96bb 2007-03-14 06:14PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

Ugh, it killed me to pick Ohio State to win.

by yitbos96bb 2007-03-14 06:14PM | 0 recs
Race and class

Now reading this:

We love race--we love identity--because we don't love class. We love thinking that the differences that divide us are not the differences between those of us who have money and those who don't but are instead the differences between those of us who are black and those who are white or Asian or Latino or whatever. A world where some of us don't have enough money is a world where the differences between us present a problem: the need to get rid of inequality or to justify it. A world where some of us are black and and some of us are white--or biracial or Native American or transgendered--is a world where the differences between us present a solution: appreciating our diversity. So we like to talk about the differences we can appreciate, and we don't like to talk about the ones we can't.
Indeed, we don't even like to acknowledge they exist. As survey after survey has shown, Americans are very reluctant to identify themselves as belonging to the lower class and even more reluctant to identify themselves as belonging to the upper class. The class we like is the middle class.

From The Trouble with Diversity by Walter B Michaels