MyDD Madness

It's that time of year again--March Madness. With the bracket announcement less than one hour away, I have once again created a MyDD group page over at the ESPN Tournament Challenge. The group name is "MyDD Madness" and the group password is "MyDD." Join up, and let's have some off-topic fun.

Use this thread to talk about college basketball. Syracuse looks like they are in, and hopefully they can actually win a game in the tournament this year. I am a bit more worried about Drexel, which is actually in my local ward in Philadelphia. I'm sure Jerome is high on UCLA, Jonathan might want to talk up Oregon, and Tagaris is probably freaking out about Southern Illinois and the amazing season they have had (since when is a Missouri Valley team #6 in the RPI, 26-6 overall, 8-4 against the RPI top 50, 14-6 on the road / neutral court, and 9-1 in their last ten? They could easily get a #3 seed and go very deep in the tournament with that resume). Good times.

Update [2007-3-11 18:38:53 by Tim Tagaris]: Sorry, Chris ... At least you can be excited about Penn for 15 minutes or so after the game starts. Ahhh! You got 'Nova as well. Gosh, sure would love to see an SIU v. Nova matchup in the Sweet 16. Anything but SIU v. KU.

Chris: WTF??!!! Stanford gets in instead of Syracuse? Total bullshit. We've had some pretty bad first round matchups over the years, but this is just a total pile of shit decision. Oy. This is like losing a game without even getting a chance to play.

Tags: Culture, Open Threads (all tags)

Comments

SIU! SIU! SIU!

I am not so sure the 'Cuse will be in the House ... Oh my God (anyone else remember that song?).

Tim

by Tim Tagaris 2007-03-11 01:44PM | 0 recs
Re: SIU! SIU! SIU!

Lunardi says Drexel is one of the last four in.

Sweat. Sweat. Sweat.  15 minutes.

by Tim Tagaris 2007-03-11 01:45PM | 0 recs
Re: SIU! SIU! SIU!

Hell yeah man.  I was a junior in high school in liverpool, NY (a suburb of Syracuse) and we alll freaked out singing that song for like a week before the final four games started.  I still get goosebumps thinking about that year.

by Mark J. Bowers 2007-03-11 02:05PM | 0 recs
Re: SIU! SIU! SIU!

The 'Cuse are most certainly NOT in the house.  Oh My God ...  Danger!

by Tim Tagaris 2007-03-11 02:57PM | 0 recs

No Uconn this year.

I'm picking Ohio St to win the entire thing.

by Djneedle83 2007-03-11 01:55PM | 0 recs

Final Four

Ohio St, Georgetown, Florida, Louisville

This is based off Lurnadi's brackets

by Djneedle83 2007-03-11 02:01PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Madness

Sigh, once again Missouri won't be in it.

by yitbos96bb 2007-03-11 02:02PM | 0 recs

Final Four busts....

Ucla
Wisconsin
Memphis
North Carolina

by Djneedle83 2007-03-11 02:03PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Madness

We won't get very far in the tournament but go IU.

Next season will be different with the #1 player in the country coming in.

by Karatist Preacher 2007-03-11 02:09PM | 0 recs

unlv should have been a 4 or 5 seed oh well

by nevadadem 2007-03-11 02:15PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Madness

Bruin's Nation all the way (though I have to admit I am wondering if they peaked already).

by Jerome Armstrong 2007-03-11 02:16PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Madness

My sentimental choice too (for obvious reasons). But as to who will actually win....I predict if it's not the Oden Coming Out Party it could be a real longshot like Vanderbilt.

by risenmessiah 2007-03-11 08:19PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Madness

Go Eagles, Go Hoosiers (one of the few benefits of grad school - I get to root for two teams).

So what happened to the prize this year?  Last year the winner got a diary placement on the front page . . .

by Mike Connery 2007-03-11 02:26PM | 0 recs
The Ducks

I'm not sure if anyone watched the Pac-10 Tourney Championship Game between USC and Oregon yesterday (in the home turf of USC, mind you), but Oregon just trashed the Trojans. At halftime the Ducks were up by 13, I think; 14 minutes later they were up by 39. That's right, a 39-point game in a conference championship game against a team in the big tourney. If Oregon plays anything like that in the next few weeks they will win, just as they did back in 1939.

by Jonathan Singer 2007-03-11 02:37PM | 0 recs
Re: The Ducks

I watched it. My Trojans were spent, having played two very tight games in the previous days, and a double overtime contest against Wash St in the final regular season game.

Oregon was higher rated than USC in my preseason numbers and should not have been a small underdog yesterday, despite the game being in LA. At least I won a bet on the darn thing.

Nice basketball season for SC with the debut of the Galen Center, and first tournament bid in several years. Plus O.J. Mayo next season.

by Gary Kilbride 2007-03-11 03:56PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Madness

If anyone makes the mistake of calling Bowers in the 4th quarter of a Syracuse game, don't be surprised if you get banned.

While I like to talk trash to my friends at MyDD, this is my favorite time of the year.

Also, I'll bet anyone a $20 contribution to the candidate of the winner's choice that SIU won't win it.

by Bob Brigham 2007-03-11 02:40PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Madness

Meant to say win it all. We know where their expectations are.

by Bob Brigham 2007-03-11 02:41PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Madness

Any takers? Come on, somebody here has to support SIU.

If I win I want a contribution to the Bob Casey re-election fund....

by Bob Brigham 2007-03-11 03:01PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Madness

SIU will be lucky to reach the Elite 8 ... let alone win it.

by Tim Tagaris 2007-03-11 03:02PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Madness

Of course, but this is the only time of the year where you can talk shit about the people who agree with you the rest of the year. I love you man, but you root for a crappy team. We've always been on the same side politically and I think the gentle ribbing each year during this great month is all good.

Of course, I'm glad to see Bowers' team go down. I drove around a 1000 miles for MSU to play them in like '95 or '96. We were only down by a few at the half and Quadra Lollis (sp?) set a record, but it wasn't enough.

My favorite from two years ago was the conference call with Tim Ryan when he read the email saying something like, "if you are in a bar watching the games, please put your phone on mute" which the Congressman found very amusing.

I love this month...

by Bob Brigham 2007-03-11 03:11PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Madness

you mean 2nd half, right?

by v2aggie2 2007-03-11 08:51PM | 0 recs

The 'Cuse was screwed.

by Karatist Preacher 2007-03-11 02:52PM | 0 recs
Hoya Saxa!
Georgetown is taking the East Regional.
by patricks54 2007-03-11 03:19PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Madness

I bet these games for a living and syracuse got robbed they would be favored by 5 over Illinois on a nuetral court. big east should have gotten WVU and Syracuse over Purdue and Illinois.

by nevadadem 2007-03-11 03:21PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Madness

I'm so glad that MyDD has people who bet for a living. Thank you and please don't take too much money from the rest of us.

by Bob Brigham 2007-03-11 03:23PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Madness

I bet the games also. Results mean nothing, that's my philosophy. I use specific preseason ratings to rank every team in the country from first to last, then use those numbers all year.

It's so peaceful and productive since I discovered that system about seven years ago. No worries about nonsense like injuries or current form.

The phrase, "they're playing great!" is meaningless. Who gives a damn how you're playing? The question is, how good ARE you?

When my higher rated team from preseason is the betting line underdog in postseason, the angle is gold. More than 50% win outright and an extreme percentage against the spread. They aren't really upsets. They are the disguised superior teams winning as they should. The ability levels are simply camouflaged by trivia called regular season results.

My top rated team from preseason is North Carolina.

Actually, I prefer the NIT and women's NCAA tournament. The preseason ratings system simply gets more plays in those events than the men's NCAA tourney.

by Gary Kilbride 2007-03-11 03:38PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Madness

Don't hate on Penn, Tim. We almost pulled off a shocker last year against Texas. If our new head coach is smart, they'll use a similar strategy against A&M this year - ball control and take high-percentage shots.

by PsiFighter37 2007-03-11 04:19PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Madness

My team got in, but they will have to work hard to get past the first few rounds.

My team, you ask?

Image courtesy of Sportsline.

by benny06 2007-03-11 04:50PM | 0 recs

Benny,

you ever eat at Po Boys on Market Street?

by Tim Tagaris 2007-03-11 05:00PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Madness

Haven't been there, Tim.  But since you brought it up, perhaps this month is a good opportunity to get out and try one of their lunches.

by benny06 2007-03-12 07:50AM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Madness

I can hardly complain about my alma mater getting in, but let's be honest--Drexel was robbed, and we probably got the last at-large spot.  I'm sticking with the story that it was Purdue's fault that Syracuse was left out...

And what's with Po' Boys?  Is this some new-fangled place, I grew up in C-U (yes, I was a townie) but left about 15 years ago...I've been told there are now some actual nice restaurants in town--is this one of them?

by Professor Foland 2007-03-11 06:34PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Madness

Far from new-fangled.  Been around forever.

It's a shack.  There's four things on the menu, each of which you can order in mild, mixed, or hot.  Then there is the potato salad and drinks ... no water though.

Were I on death row, it's what I would order.

Oh!  And it's only open on Friday and Saturday.  A lot of the old sports stars come back for it.  Rumor had it that Jerry Colangelo (owner of the Diamondbacks and Suns) once had his personal jet fly him to CU simply for Po Boys.

I LOVE IT! AND MISS IT!

ARGH!

by Tim Tagaris 2007-03-11 07:24PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Madness

So, what's with the sexism here? Why no excitement over the Women's bracket?

Big surprise: Connecticut back in the Big Four? Where did they come from?

Can Tennessee beat Duke? Can Maryland get back to the Big Four?

Actually, the team I like to watch the most is Arizona State. But Stanford has beaten them three times! I also like Stanford.

Several teams have centers who could be called Sistah Shaq: Oklahoma (Courtney Paris) and Ohio State (Jessica Davenport). You don't want to take a charge from one of those ladies. And they're getting taller: Allison Bales is 6'7" and will likely be a high draft pick into the pros.

Lots to love in the Women's tournament.

Bob in HI

by Bob Schacht 2007-03-11 05:20PM | 0 recs
This is all crap

All that really matters is that the Amherst College Lord Jeffs, the only college with a mascot who committed biological warfare which some label "genocide", have made it to their second straight Div III final four.  College of Wooster, YOU'RE NEXT.

by Adam B 2007-03-11 06:15PM | 0 recs
by johnalive 2007-03-11 06:45PM | 0 recs

Gig 'Em Aggies!

From Vik Verma, Class of '97

I'm excited, though our first two games (Penn and Louisville) are no gimmes for sure.

And playing Louisville in Lexington (if we beat Penn) is giving me heartburn, particularly playing a great coach in Rick Pitino.

But -- if we can get through Lexington, then we are heading to San Antonio -- back in OUR backyard!

As for Bowers, it is Arkansas that stole your bid, not Stanford.
The Hogs have no business being in this tournament.

by v2aggie2 2007-03-11 08:50PM | 0 recs
ok, this is way outside what people are paying...

...attention to, but could somebody explain to me how Niagara wound up in the play-in game??!  22 wins, a 10-game winning streak, out of a conference which has sent teams a few rounds deep in the tourney frequently...

by thurst 2007-03-11 09:13PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Madness

yeah I do gamble for a living but also am a poltitcal junkie....I'm actually a competition junkie....just don't ask me how much money I lost betting on Kerry to win after gettting the 2pm exit polls.....

by nevadadem 2007-03-11 10:22PM | 0 recs
Don't pick on Missouri Valley squads

They've been emerging across the spectrum in college sports.

by jcjcjc 2007-03-12 06:36AM | 0 recs