Waiting To Hear From Edwards

I have a pretty vicious rant and an important action alert lined up, but I am waiting to hear from the Edwards camp about the fate of Amanda Marcotte and Melissa McEwan before doing anything. The Salon story is not credible and cannot be verified at this time. The campaign is still involved in internal discussions.

The Edwards camp faces a series simple choices right now:
  • Are you with the people who work their asses for you, or are you with right-wing extremists who hate you?
  • Are you willing to point out the double standards and hypocrisy behind this story, or will you cave to even the mildest pressure from the Republican Noise Machine?
  • Do you have any loyalty to the netroots, or was it all just sweet talk, where loyalty actually only flows uphill and shit actually only flows downhill?
But like I said, I am waiting before letting loose. This is a big opportunity for his campaign. Whether he stands up or backs down will be a turning point for his campaign online. Either way, he won't be tied with Barack Obama in Dailykos straw polls anymore. It will be hard in one direction or the other.

UPDATE [by Matt]: When I was hired by the Corzine campaign, right-wing blogs dug through my past and tried to smear me with what I had written. It hurt and it sucked, but the campaign ignored it to their credit. Obviously there were differences between Corzine in 2005 and a Presidential candidate. My point is that candidates don't have to take responsibility for what their bloggers or staffers say while not under their employ unless they make the decision to do so.

Tags: Blogosphere, John Edwards, Machine, Media, netroots (all tags)

Comments

If he drops Amanda and/or Melissa he's over

To ask two people to drop everything for you and then drop them at first attack can only mean that we can't trust him to fight for us either.

by lisadawn82 2007-02-07 10:39AM | 0 recs
Is this artcle the reason for this post?

by lisadawn82 2007-02-07 11:01AM | 0 recs
Re: Is this artcle the reason for this post?
What I do see is that the promised funding never seems to arrive. There's always some politician, left or right, proclaiming that the money is coming. It never does.
----
Furniture Collections
by galin 2007-09-27 10:06AM | 0 recs
Re: If he drops Amanda and/or Melissa he's over

my thought is (if they get fired), if this is the way he treats people in the face of adversity, how can we believe he'll protect ANYONE?  i always get annoyed with the "how can he protect america if he XYZ" argument, but in this case it kinda applies.

I don't think this means he's incapable of being a strong leader, but any democrat is gonna get attacked right and left.  he's gonna be out of staff real quick unless he actually hires malkin to run everything for him.

by corn dog 2007-02-07 11:22AM | 0 recs
My concern with Edwards to begin with

I have to admit that I have been extremely leery of the Edwards campaign from the beginning, and this has been my reason why-- that though I like Edwards' message, and I like his politics (with one exception), I don't consider him credible as someone who can actually stand up for himself (or the rest of us) enough to run a campaign for President. I was significantly disappointed by Edwards in 2004, as over the course of that year I watched people I originally had high hopes for fail to communicate a message, fail to make any noticeable effort to connect with voters, and repeatedly respond to attacks-- when they responded at all-- by abandoning ground rather than trying to claim it.

The Democrats really need to stop letting people like this speak for them-- people like Kerry was in 2004 and Gore was in 2000, people so risk-averse and scared of offending the public that they never let the public know who they are or what they stand for. I would like to think Edwards is not like this. I would like to think that the message I like so much will endure past the primaries and not disappear into the memory hole as soon as Edwards stops thinking he needs to impress the lefties in the primaries and starts thinking he needs to impress the proverbial red state stereotype. I would like to think it is unfair of me to hold against Edwards the behavior of the 2004 campaign of which he was only one part. But I also don't see any real reason to be trusting here, and if Edwards in 2008 is going to act like Edwards in 2004 then I for one don't want to see him as the Democratic nominee.

This situation, I think, provides a very good test case for whether that will happen.

If Edwards responds the way Salon seems to think he did, I will consider most of my misgivings about him absolutely confirmed.

If on the other hand Edwards takes the initiative and actually takes steps to publicly defend his staff against the Donahues and Malkins driving this story, I'm going to have to rethink my position and give him a second chance.

(Meanwhile if the Edwards campaign just passively issues a statement saying Salon's reports of firings were incorrect and then drops the subject while letting the smears hang in the air, I'm not really going to conclude anything.)

by Silent sound 2007-02-07 11:46AM | 0 recs
by liaozhi123 2007-10-15 10:42PM | 0 recs
more than that

it means the guy will cave at the first sign of trouble.  this, if it turns out to be true, combined with his wambly "won't take attacking iran off the table" stance, has made me severely reconsider supporting him.

by skippy 2007-02-07 11:59AM | 0 recs
Have faith.

by MeanBoneII 2007-02-07 10:40AM | 0 recs
Will you stand up?

Will you, John Edwards?  Will you stand up?

by Fran for Dean 2007-02-07 10:41AM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

The bar fight primary goes down today?

by Bob Brigham 2007-02-07 10:46AM | 0 recs

Breathe people.

by adamterando 2007-02-07 10:48AM | 0 recs
Amanda's Stuff is a lot more inflammatory

than MyDD, but I think they should keep them.

by TarHeel 2007-02-07 10:51AM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

Yeah. Edwards is in deep shit if he flunks this test.

by thirdestate 2007-02-07 10:53AM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

Agreed. If Edwards caves on this, there's no way I'll vote for him, primary or general (I'll vote Green if I have to).

So what's it gonna be, John?

by Tod Westlake 2007-02-07 10:53AM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

Let's not get crazy or anything. No need to hand the Presidency to McCain.

by thirdestate 2007-02-07 10:54AM | 0 recs

Once again. Breathe.

by adamterando 2007-02-07 10:54AM | 0 recs

You are clearly nuts.

by Populism2008 2007-02-07 11:09AM | 0 recs

Hey now, be civil.

by Matt Stoller 2007-02-07 11:14AM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

you realize, of course, that you've now killed any chance you might have in the future to work for a campaign, right?  you're hate speech is unacceptable.

by corn dog 2007-02-07 11:23AM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

I would say something uncivil, but that would be . . . uncivil.

So, why don't you keep your ad hominem attacks to yourself, chuckles?

by Tod Westlake 2007-02-07 11:34AM | 0 recs
hey fuck everyone

who doesn't like when i say fuck.

can i work for you now, hillary?

by skippy 2007-02-07 12:02PM | 0 recs
Re: hey fuck everyone

Ooh, I love it when you talk dirty.

But wouldn't you be awfully tired?

by Tod Westlake 2007-02-07 12:14PM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

That is a good point. But your point in your previous point came across as,

The Edwards campaign is sinking because they are a bunch of amateurs and Edwards is a phony who said something I didn't like about Iran even though EVERYTHING he has said since then has been great. Also, I talked to lots of people and I won't tell you who they are or what agendas they might have, but they think Edwards is sunk.

We criticize the MSM all the time, but for all that criticism, we sure do act like them in times of "gotcha".

by adamterando 2007-02-07 10:54AM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

You have to admit that the team does look like a bunch of amateurs today, and in that, my blogging was spot-on.

by Matt Stoller 2007-02-07 11:00AM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

Yep, I did admit that in another diary. I think that is a valid point.

http://www.mydd.com/story/2007/2/7/11184 5/0197

But can you admit that your last paragraph of that story did not do your readers a service by using heresay and innuendo to try to prove your point? You could at least clarify why the journalists you talked to think Edwards is a phony. What special information do they have that we don't? Could it be that they think any rich person that talks about wanting to end poverty just must be a phony? Because I've heard a lot of that theme going around journalistic (and blogospheric) circles lately. Even by yourself if I remember correctly.

by adamterando 2007-02-07 11:15AM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

I concede that it's frustrating, but I don't want to damage relationships that I have with these people.  It's how the world works.  I tell you what I think, and you're free to disagree or tell me to go stuff it.  Overt sourcing has its own problems, as we know from lots of crappy reporting.

by Matt Stoller 2007-02-07 11:25AM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

I think you should take a little bit more responsibility and care in what you say given the large readership and potential influence you have with activists that are deciding right now who to support.

Also, as far as Edwards's campaign being amatuerish... These complaints seem to be the same complaints that were lobbed at Sherrod Brown's campaign way back in early 2006. It's funny how when there's a very progressive candidate in a race that does something people don't like, their campaign becomes amatuerish. Whether it's true or not, it still obviously does not mean the campaign is sunk at this point.

It's very very early and this will be over by Friday evening.

by adamterando 2007-02-07 11:37AM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

And Sherrod shitcanned his campaign manager and got his campaign back on track.

by Bob Brigham 2007-02-07 12:32PM | 0 recs
people think anyone who's rich in america

1.  really shouldn't care about the less fortunate  and

2.. have no right to point out economic problems with america's rules of captalism.

it's really very universal from the guy in the street to reporters.

by TarHeel 2007-02-07 11:28AM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

No shit. It's now been almost three hours since the Salon article, and still nothing. Nada. Deny the story, confirm the story ... do something. This radio silence from them is the worst of all worlds. If they let them go now, it looks like they let them twist in the wind for a while before dumping them. If they keep them now ... it still looks like they let them twist in the wind. Good lord, they needed to have a plan about this before now.

It's early; every campaign (except Hillary's, really) is in various stages of building. But, even considering that, this isn't a good day for them. Not a good day at all.

by BriVT 2007-02-07 11:17AM | 0 recs
He's on a plane

On the way to LA.

by DrFrankLives 2007-02-07 11:28AM | 0 recs
Re: He's on a plane

What, he's never heard of parachutes?

by BingoL 2007-02-07 11:43AM | 0 recs
or those funky phones

in the back of the seat in front of you?

by skippy 2007-02-07 12:04PM | 0 recs
Re: or those funky phones

Well, while I think in some ways this matters tremendously--as a measure of Edwards's ability to fight, which is perhaps the most important measure--this is also a temptest in a teapot. There's no ticking clock here, and nothing of any real import depends on a quick response.

If Edwards wakes up tomorrow and says, 'Are you shitting me? No, I didn't respond immediately, because I don't like responding to idiot right-wing talking points adopted by the so-called responsible media, but this is embarrassing even for you. I can guarantee you that not a single one of the staffers working for me is a saint. I can guarantee you that they're an opinionated group--and hell, some of 'em are even offensive. Too bad. That's America. Get used to it. Motherfuckers." If he says that, do we care he waited until tomorrow?

by BingoL 2007-02-07 12:11PM | 0 recs
Re: or those funky phones

speed kills

by Bob Brigham 2007-02-07 12:34PM | 0 recs
Re: He's on a plane

I just want to say ... it's damn fine to see you, DrFrank, back and advocating for Edwards. Makes me feel like it's 2003 all over again ...

This isn't a today story, though. This has been building for days. They should have discussed this as soon as it came up (last week?). If the writing was fine with them, they should've had a response ready. If not, they should've has a response ready. Either way, they are letting the cycle drive them way too much.

Besides, I'm sure Edwards is still reachable, and the main decision would be the general consultant's and campaign manager's anyway. Edwards would need to clear it and make the final call, rather than go through all the nitty-gritty of the discussions. So Edwards's physical location isn't too important ...

by BriVT 2007-02-07 12:15PM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

That would be one thing.

by DrFrankLives 2007-02-07 11:28AM | 0 recs
The worst part is

that whether Edwards fires them or not, the meme has already been advanced. That "bloggers are out of the mainstream and that they are liabilities for political campaigns".

I wonder if the right-wing bloggers like Malkin had that in mind when they offered up "one of their own" (in a very loose sense) to the MSM for a beatdown. I am sure it was never even a thought.

It would seem that right-wing bloggers have no interest in a sustainable future for blogging or internet activism in general.

by andy k 2007-02-07 10:56AM | 0 recs
Re: The worst part is

Hi Andy.  I am more worried about what this says about Edwards' leadership abilities globally.

Did Edwards take personnel advice from opposing counsel when he was pressing class-action lawsuits?  First he fails to vet, then he waffles and gets bullied (maybe...)

There's a saying.  If you are at a poker table and you don't know who the dumb-ass mark is, it's you.  Edwards right now looks like he's ready to get busted at the flop and go home broke.  Hell, Kucinich looks like an executive by comparison.

by Bruce Godfrey 2007-02-07 11:07AM | 0 recs
Edwards is out of state!

he's been out of NC for a while traveling...

Where Isn't John Edwards?

This busy beaver of a presidential candidate has an extraorindarily busy February, according to a campaign e-mailed we were sent.

February 1-2, New York City
February 22, Knoxville, TN
February 22, Nashville, TN
February 23, Pittsburgh, PA
February 25, New York City
February 26, New Jersey
February 27, New York City

no doubt this is part of the delay

by TarHeel 2007-02-07 11:09AM | 0 recs
Re: The worst part is

Hiya Bruce.

I agree, this shows a serious lack of spin control on the part of the Edwards campaign.  If he caves like this is the face of Michelle Malkin, how is he going to be able to stand up to the Hillary campaign?

C'mon John, stop the bleeding.

by andy k 2007-02-07 11:12AM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

I disagree on your point that online support for Edwards will go "hard" one way or the other.

I agree that if he drops the bloggers and caves to the Right, it will go hard in a negative direction.

However, if he DOES support the bloggers, I think he might get a relatively minor bump, but Edwards (particularly after the Iran flap) still has plenty to prove and I doubt seriously that it will end the Edwards/Obama competition in Edwards' favor. Sure, he might get some positive kudos in his poll rankings, but I doubt if it will be as "hard" a shift as you suggest. Rather, it will only serve marginally improve his ranking in the status quo.

by AmericanJedi 2007-02-07 11:02AM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

Depends on how he supports them.  If he weasels about it he's going to drop, if he goes on the attack he'll go up.

by Matt Stoller 2007-02-07 11:04AM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

I hate to agree with you twice in one day, but you're absolutely right.

This is a tremendous opportunity for Edwards. Nobody's gonna give a shit (there, I said 'shit', I guess I can forget working for Gravel ...) next month about what some bloggers said ... but many of us will care if Edwards just ferociously attacks back. And I think he will. Because he's not stupid.

I also hope Chris has two action items planned.

by BingoL 2007-02-07 11:10AM | 0 recs

twice in one day?!?

It's bizarro-MyDD today.

by Matt Stoller 2007-02-07 11:15AM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

Does it matter what happens now? Obviously it's greatly preferable that he keeps them on, but are we supposed to be happy that they only almost buckled to this lunacy (assuming he doesn't fire them)?

I hope for Amanda and Melissa's sake they get to keep their jobs, but the damage to the campaign has already been done.

They should have immediately mocked the idiots leading this charge, further marginalizing them while simultaneously energizing their own base. Instead, their tepid response has had the (shocking!) opposite effect.

You would think of all politicians, one who experienced the Kerry campaign disaster first hand would understand this.

Wow, I'm in a sour mood.

by Parker Lewis 2007-02-07 11:02AM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

He didn't "almost buckle", the sketchy salon article is the only thing saying that.

The campaign could have avoided this by saying something definitive.  They didn't, but lets not let the Salon story color things before we know all the facts.

BREATHE

by andy k 2007-02-07 11:05AM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

I get what you're saying, but my point (or one of them) was that the story is already the story now, regardless of what happens. We all know by now that this is the kind of mess you find yourself in when someone hits you and you don't hit them back, or take your time hitting back.

Whatever the ultimate outcome, the campaign now looks lousy, which sucks.

by Parker Lewis 2007-02-07 11:24AM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

They have one chance to turn this around.

by Matt Stoller 2007-02-07 11:26AM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

Um, not only Salon: NYT article quotes campaign as "weighing fate of bloggers". Not sure how that can be construed as anything but letting them twist in the wind.

From the information at hand, one can deduce that the campaign has asked them to resign, and they have decided to not play along.

by DukeJ 2007-02-07 11:28AM | 0 recs
not a quote

and Jen Palmieri should be fired if it is.

by DrFrankLives 2007-02-07 11:29AM | 0 recs
Re: not a quote

I agree with you here.

by Matt Stoller 2007-02-07 11:31AM | 0 recs
Re: not a quote

I can imagine a situation in which she says "we're thinking about what to do next" and the media spins it differently. Makes a better story.

by thirdestate 2007-02-07 11:40AM | 0 recs
Re: not a quote

I agree as well.

by Rooktoven 2007-02-07 11:45AM | 0 recs
I disagree

She is just the mouthpiece, the people who should be held to account are the ones who told her how to deal with this.

by Bob Brigham 2007-02-07 12:41PM | 0 recs
from the information at hand

you can't deduce anything.  Quit trying to gin up crap.

You have a non-quote from Nedra Pickler and her cohorts.  And you have a Salon.com article that makes absolutely no sense, in which the campaign spokesperson says it would be incorrect to say they were fired.

From that I can deduce one thing - reporters are idiots.

by DrFrankLives 2007-02-07 11:31AM | 0 recs
just FYI

Salon.com is a bit of a cesspool for journalism. They'll print anything and they like to use their readers as fact-checkers (common practice for Farhad Manjoo.)

The article was co-written by Rebecca Traister, who is the worst of the bunch when it comes to just making stuff up to fill a meme.

Know Your Media.

by sdedeo 2007-02-07 12:54PM | 0 recs
I think he should drop them

At first I was kind up upset like a lot of people around here, but I think that what the bloggers wrote and the manner in which they wrote it definitely falls outside the lines of what I deem acceptable. The behavior of supporters and campaign workers reflects directly on the candidates themselves, and in this case if Edwards does NOT remove the bloggers from his payroll I definitely won't support him.

by mihan 2007-02-07 11:03AM | 0 recs
they didn't write it while on staff

try to keep the facts straight.  Would you like everything you wrote to come out when you got another job?

by DrFrankLives 2007-02-07 11:31AM | 0 recs
Re: they didn't write it while on staff

It should come out, if the job I'm getting is for writing. I personally found what the bloggers had written to be objectionable, and I'd prefer that they not work for Edwards or any other serious Democratic candidate. As far as I'm concerned, that is one fact that really matters.

by mihan 2007-02-07 11:51AM | 0 recs
Re: I think he should drop them

Hey!  A concern troll!  How cute.

by antidoto 2007-02-07 11:41AM | 0 recs
Re: I think he should drop them

Aw crap.  I didn't mean to actually post that.

by antidoto 2007-02-07 11:42AM | 0 recs
Re: I think he should drop them

Quick scroll through my history shows I'm no troll.

by mihan 2007-02-07 11:49AM | 0 recs
Re: I think he should drop them

That's why I didn't mean to post it.  I apologize.

by antidoto 2007-02-08 11:17AM | 0 recs
Re: I think he should drop them

How would you feel if you were fired because of something I said to your boss about your comments here at MYDD? Would your firing be fair or justified?  The idea that Bloggers should be fired based on complaints by those who don't abide by those standards themselves is patently absurd.

by eddieb 2007-02-07 11:58AM | 0 recs
Re: I think he should drop them

It shouldn't be based on anything right-wingers say...it should be based on our own standards of conduct. The pressure to fire the bloggers should not JUST be coming from the outside. Just because they want it done doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of Democrats who find what they said offensive as well.

I'll put it this way: if I'm hired to write a blog, I would expect that my entire body of work should be scrutinized because I have no problem with the world knowing what I believe in. If John Edwards wants to associate himself and his campaign with bloggers, then he has to associate himself with what those bloggers have written in the past. My job and what I write here are completely unrelated, as this is political and my job is not. This is blogging and my job is not. Its not the same thing.

I have my preferences, have made my choices and I'm sticking to them. Why is that so bad?

by mihan 2007-02-07 12:21PM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

the salon article was posted at 13:21 Eastern. You have to wonder why it takes 2.5 hrs + to confirm or deny.

that being said -- are there any circumstances that would warrant this action? What if campaign donors were leaning heavily on the campaign? Is it realistic to believe that he'd go to the mat for two bloggers?

by dblhelix 2007-02-07 11:04AM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

Might not be weird - Edwards is lying in wait, his team probably just read your comment.

by Bruce Godfrey 2007-02-07 11:22AM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

aaah, like my focus group testing comment in the previous thread?

he's going to piss off somebody, might as well decide on who.

by dblhelix 2007-02-07 11:34AM | 0 recs
He's on a plane

they might hno0t have talked to him yet.

by DrFrankLives 2007-02-07 11:32AM | 0 recs
Edwards will lose the primary

if he keeps the bloggers.

i will concede the hypocrisy.  i will concede every argument one wants to come up with, but this country is primarily judeo christian of some flavor or denomination.  It's a question of sheer numbers.  Right Wing candidates get to have bloggers who say shitty things about 10% of the country.  Left Wing candidates do not get to have bloggers who say shitty things about 90% of the country.

it's as simple as that.  if you want edwards to lose, keep up the pressure on this issue.  it'll be great for hillary to be campaigning against someone with this kind of baggage.

rock and roll.

by Stewieeeee 2007-02-07 11:08AM | 0 recs
what about christian forgiveness?

so what if they said stuff before they worked for him.

that's what bloggers do.

by TarHeel 2007-02-07 11:11AM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards will lose the primary

If that's the case (and I think you're wrong, because I'm almost certain there are many, many ways to finesse this), then Edwards deserves to lose. He hired a couple people whose past statements demand they not be hired. That's beyond idiotic.

But I think he'll come out swinging, and perhaps not only because that's the only intelligent political move.

by BingoL 2007-02-07 11:14AM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards will lose the primary

What did these bloggers say that was so bad?  The articles are pretty tight lipped about what they actually said that was so bad!

by maddogg 2007-02-07 11:25AM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards will lose the primary

Agreed. Gotta tell the whole story so everybody can make up their own minds. Here's clips from the NYTimes article about this:

The two women brought to the Edwards campaign long cyber trails in the incendiary language of the blogosphere. Other campaigns are likely to face similar controversies as they try to court voters using the latest techniques of online communication.

Ms. Marcotte wrote in December that the Roman Catholic Church's opposition to the use of contraception forced women "to bear more tithing Catholics." In another posting last year, she used vulgar language to describe the church doctrine of the Immaculate Conception.

She has also written sarcastically about the news media coverage of the three Duke lacrosse players accused of sexual assault, saying: "Can't a few white boys sexually assault a black woman anymore without people getting all wound up about it? So unfair."

Ms. Marcotte joined the Edwards campaign at the end of January in the new post of blogmaster. She has lived in Austin, Tex., for the past 11 years and wrote on her blog that she was planning to move to Chapel Hill, N.C., in February to work full-time on the campaign.

Ms. McEwan referred in her blog to President Bush's "wingnut Christofascist base" and repeatedly used profanity in demanding that religious conservatives stop meddling with women's reproductive and sexual rights. Multiple postings use explicit and inflammatory language on a variety of issues.

Ms. McEwan signed on with Mr. Edwards at the end of January with the title of Netroots coordinator, for campaign activities on the Web.

by johnalive 2007-02-07 11:31AM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards will lose the primary

I agreed with everything in there.

by lisadawn82 2007-02-07 11:34AM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards will lose the primary

How important is this subtext: nice girls don't have potty mouths.

This is starting to feel pretty ... gendered.

by BingoL 2007-02-07 11:46AM | 0 recs
Write to Nedra Pickler at the NYT

...and ask her to cover this:

As Atrios and Media Matters note, if we're going to put campaign bloggers under a microscope, John McCain's hired gun wouldn't come off looking too well.

And looky here -- ABC's Terry Moran writes an article bashing Edwards and Amanda and Melissa, yet doesn't mention that his own brother has a right-wing blog that sets new lows for vileness.

by Phoenix Woman 2007-02-07 11:35AM | 0 recs
Man, as anti-Catholic Screeds Go

that was pretty mild.

I thought the "Roman Catholic Church's opposition to the use of contraception" was so priests would have a healthy supply of kids to rape.

by hoose 2007-02-07 12:19PM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards will lose the primary

Nothing in there is beyond the blogospheric pale.

"Wingnut Christofascist Base"? What lefty bloggery HASN'T said something of the sort?

"repeatedly used profanity" in the BLOGOSPHERE? Oh heaven forbid! Excuse me while I clutch my pearls.

Used vulgarity while discussing the sacrosanct church doctrine of Immaculate Conception? A little iffy on that one depending on what she said, but just generally speaking, when did church doctrine become elevated above criticism, even of the vulgar sort?

This is most definitely has all the marks of a faked-rightwing-outrage tempest in a teapot.

by AmericanJedi 2007-02-07 12:24PM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

Well, then the clear favorite for the netroots becomes Obama, until he disappoints us...

But really - to hire someone, then fire them immediately, because some rightwing idiot pushes on you?

Not a brave stand, but the opposite.

by jc 2007-02-07 11:12AM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

This tempest shows a blip of what could await in a general election.  Maybe it is good he irons some of these issues out now, before things really get going, but this stuff is nothing compared to what will be flung later on.  If he is in troubled waters now (his polls seem to have faltered into single-digits lately) can he last through the major attacks of a general election?

It makes me question if he could survive an actual swiftboat smear, something false cooked up by the right with faux "witnesses" coming out of the woodwork, swearing they saw him/ worked with him/got involved with him on some "shady" dealings related to NC politics or legal matters (in his capacity as a lawyer?)

by georgep 2007-02-07 11:14AM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

The paramount issue is whether Edwards will stand up to the people who have so badly degraded political discourse that this is even an issue.

In a sane society, Donohoe and Malkin would never even get the time of day.  No politician would want anything to do with them; no self-repsecting reporter would take them seriously enough to get quotes from.

No, it's not about religion.  It's about the (mis)use of religion to declare certain subject matters off limits in debate; it's about psuedo-religious nutbags using religion in ways religion should not be used, to the detriment of both religion and politics.

by CaseyL 2007-02-07 11:23AM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

I'm not even a Edwards supporter but still I'm shocked by his right wing appeasement. There is nothing to "weigh", isn't he supposed to be the left nominee?

by bsavage 2007-02-07 11:24AM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

This is a dicey issue.  He already got the wrong end of NYTimes and AP coverage (sure to be picked up by other major news outlets) on "Shoddy campaign research.  If you're going to hire bloggers you should have checked them out before making the decision to hire them"

His campaign supposedly said that they have not reached a decision on how to "deal with them," a bad thing to say.

Having said that, he can hardly compound the problem by now firing them.  He already has the former two strikes weighing on his campaign with charges of "unprepared amateurism."   It is easier to stand by them in the final analysis than to start yet a third controversy by firing them.

by georgep 2007-02-07 11:30AM | 0 recs
You think Obama benefits if Edwards caves?

I think those leaning to Edwards (and I am one) would either go in the "don't know" category or start looking at Richardson and really start hoping that Al Gore gets in

by merbex 2007-02-07 11:27AM | 0 recs
I'm biased

but so far Obama should be clobbering Hillary over the head with the Iraq war vote - but he hasn't and has basically set him up as Edwards was in 2004.  It will not work against Hillary.

either Obama is looking for VP or his consultants (Axelrod) are giving him bad advice.  I'm not sure anyone but edwards in the current crop can beat Hillary unless Obama changes his campaign 180 degrees.

by TarHeel 2007-02-07 11:35AM | 0 recs
Re: I'm biased

It's too early to go negative. He hasn't defined his positive characteristics yet. Campaigning 101 - going negative hurts you almost as much as your opponent, and is suicide in a multicandidate contest (see Iowa 2004).

by thirdestate 2007-02-07 11:43AM | 0 recs
Re: I'm biased

His campaign doesn't formally kick-off for a couple of days yet.

by Shaun Appleby 2007-02-07 11:53AM | 0 recs
Re: I'm biased

True... But he's also only been in the race for a few weeks, and hasn't even officially announced yet. I don't doubt that he's going to bring up Clinton's war stance often. But he's got to stay above the fray for now.

by Dave Sund 2007-02-07 12:07PM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

Edwards is a threat to so many, especially the RWNs.  I've been saying that for months.  They are more afraid of Edwards than Hillary or Obama.

Meantime, while My DD and Kos and other are expecting to hear right away when there are so many other considerations in the campaign, I suggest we all back off and look at other MSM crap that is going on with the other side.   Otherwise, you are inviting more RWB's to swarm the nest with you.  If that's the case, this blog has been against Edwards all of the time and is joining hands with Obama and Madam Clinton (who are relived that they are out of the news for a moment)to push them on and this is blog-boating if I ever saw it.

Personally, I think this will all sort itself out, and JRE won't lose my vote over it.

by benny06 2007-02-07 11:28AM | 0 recs
Re: Clarification

Sorting..meaning they may end up doing something else for the campaign.  There're plenty of slots open for work to be done.

by benny06 2007-02-07 11:30AM | 0 recs
Here's what Edwards should do: ATTACK.

by Phoenix Woman 2007-02-07 11:34AM | 0 recs
Re: Here's what Edwards should do: ATTACK.

I'd love to see him hold a press conference, and apologize abjectly for the offensive words of his bloggers, while quoting statements from McCain's guy, etc.

But there's a reason I'm just a random idiot on the tubes ...

by BingoL 2007-02-07 11:50AM | 0 recs
Catholic for Edwards

I don't think Edwards should fire the bloggers.  The Catholic League are a bunch of blowhards who do not speak for Catholics everywhere, BUT what Marcotte said WAS OFFENSIVE to me.  I hope Edwards does take some time to think about it, but in the end forgive and move on.

Most of you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the bloggers past.  Blogging should be tough and witty, but not offensive.  That's what the other side does.

by KickinIt 2007-02-07 11:34AM | 0 recs
Of course, the left does this too

I once used a naughty word on DKos, a word that many do not approve of but which is in the dictionary. This horrible, naughty thing was brought up by DKos mafia morons every time I said anything.

So, the left does it just as much.

by dataguy 2007-02-07 11:36AM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

Wolf Blitzer just reported the story on CNN. I think Edwards is really in a no win situation right now.

by PhillyGuy 2007-02-07 11:42AM | 0 recs
Off of Edwards bloat at 4:26pm EST

http://blog.johnedwards.com/story/2007/2 /7/162644/9167

Amanda gone back to Panda-gon.

by lisadawn82 2007-02-07 11:42AM | 0 recs
That would be Edward's blog not bloat

nt

by lisadawn82 2007-02-07 11:44AM | 0 recs
Re: Off of Edwards bloat at 4:26pm EST

Oh dear.

by andy k 2007-02-07 11:45AM | 0 recs
Re: Off of Edwards bloat at 4:26pm EST

This is not an official post and seems to be from a rather eccentric person.  I'm still waiting to hear something.

by DaveMB 2007-02-07 11:55AM | 0 recs
Sorry about that

After I realized what had happened I went back to ask him about that.  I'm still waiting for an answer.

I do hereby appologize to everyone for the above link.

by lisadawn82 2007-02-07 12:01PM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

I believe that progressives need to establish some ground rules. What is the progressive political movement willing to accept from people running for office? Are we going to be reactive or proactive when it comes to policy?

For a long time progressives have suffered as wimps, in their attempt to be adults. While we argued in good faith, tried to listen to both sides on complex issues, and find common ground, conservatives have been hitting us with a pool cue, hard and often.

For the past twelve years conservatives have framed the issues, managed the debate, hit below the belt, and played with an "end justifies the means" attitude about the rules of the game. It is only conservative overreaching that has allowed progressives to grab a gulp of air.

Conservatives can talk compromise all they want but, make no mistake, they believe they are in a win/lose war. You may think that our democracy is the art of compromise. Unfortunately, democracy, in these past twelve years has changed. The officials have been pulled from the football field. Now the teams are out there with a few useless rules and a winner take all, fight to the death, attitude. This is not the democracy I remember. Perhaps it has always been this way. I think that Matt may be right about how we move forward.

by Awfergu 2007-02-07 11:46AM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

Looks like the bloggers were just fired:

http://www.townhall.com/blog/g/51288aa7- 930b-4ea4-af58-575d060214ed

by georgep 2007-02-07 11:50AM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

That story references the same old Salon story. Twisting, twisting...

by johnalive 2007-02-07 11:53AM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

You might want to hit refresh once you reach the page, which apparently was updated from earlier.

Here the important part:

"The right-wing blogosphere has gotten its scalps -- John Edwards has fired the two controversial bloggers he recently hired to do liberal blogger outreach, Salon has learned."

by georgep 2007-02-07 12:02PM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

If it was updated the time stamp would have changed. It still reads 1321 est.

by johnalive 2007-02-07 12:11PM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

Anyone else notice that the Catholic League is not actually associated with the Church?  Its a lay organization.  Clergy can join, but the League itself is not an official arm of the Church.  Not only that, but their board of directors does not feature any prominent liberal catholics, though it includes numerous hard-right wingers of prominence.

Seems to me that the Church should take steps to demand reorganization of the League (since it bears the Church's name) or forcibly disassociate itself (make the League change its name).  Does the Church really need Bill Donahue making its already damaged brand look any worse?

by JJCPA 2007-02-07 11:51AM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

I agree with you.  Any headline or sentence resembling "Catholics want bloggers fired" is EXTREMELY misleading.

by KickinIt 2007-02-07 11:58AM | 0 recs
All he needs to say:

The beauty of the internet  is that people can speak their mind at will and many people can read what they have to say.  I don't agree with everything Amanda says, nor would I use the tone she has occasionally used on her blog in every day discourse.

That said, we are on the same side more often than not, and she was hired for her expertise and abilities.  No one in this world is entirely innocent in what they say, and that includes Mr. Donohue, Ms. Malkin, Mr Dobson, Mr Falwell, and the Vice President.  As far as I'm concerned, if she is doing her present job well, she will continue to be a part of this campaign.

See, that's not so hard..

by Rooktoven 2007-02-07 11:53AM | 0 recs
Right wing scalps

We need some right-wing scalps, right away.  Suggestions?

by dataguy 2007-02-07 11:55AM | 0 recs
Re: Right wing scalps

Matt Browner Hamlin had a great suggestion.

Edwards would fire his bloggettes if McCain fires his outrageous right wing bloggers.

It would toss the debate back into the lap of the leading Republican candidate.

by BrionLutz 2007-02-07 04:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

Remember how Tim Kaine axing an Oliver Willis blogad (or something minimal) doomed him?

I think it's important to take a step back to think things over before you doom someone for something like this.

From what i've read of Amanda's posts, this is pretty close to confirmation that saying too much can work against you.

John Edwards is taking fire from the other side, and candidates from his own side. Who benefits from Edwards losing the primary?

It's not some coincidence that Edwards has been under fire for weeks constantly. While some frontrunners haven't recieved any fire for his/her previous positions and current problems.

In the scheme of things, think about who is directing fire here. It's more groups than you all would expect.

The candidates on our side are not all well-meaning boy scouts. Ya know.

by RBH 2007-02-07 11:59AM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

Well, none of those enemies or opposing candidates forced Edwards to say what he said about Iran. And, ultimately, the responsibility for firing these bloggers, if that is what happens, will be his, and he gets to bear the consequences for it. Does it help opposing campaigns? Sure. But that has shit to do with the price of tea in China.

by AmericanJedi 2007-02-07 12:36PM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

Who benefits from Edwards losing?  Insurance companies.  Edwards plan vs. a "free market" feed the insurance companies plan would cost insurance companies at least $20 billion a year.  They svaged Hillary and she never tried to take them out of the game.

by David Kowalski 2007-02-07 12:45PM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

I have newly registered, and have a few comments. Some will call me a concern troll. So be it.

1. Jimbo posting at Edwards blog is a conservative, having some fun, a troll,if you wish.

2. That Townhall story (as of 5:00PM ET) just re-hashes the Salon story. (I thought you Lefties didn't fall for the "circle jerk of the Right WIng Noise Machine" repeating itself.)  Repeat - no new info on Townhall.

3. Whatever Edwards does, even if he is on a plane, this issue (a distraction from his campaign) has been allowed to fester.It's a 24/7 world, dude!  On top of the poor vetting (if you grant that was a mistake), this compounds it. As a matter of tactics & handling the press, etc. Edwards has flunked today's test --- WHATEVER he does with the bloggers.

"Concern Troll Out!

by commissar 2007-02-07 12:04PM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

I agree with the last part.  He should say I hired them.  They are talented.  Deal with it.

Done

by Awfergu 2007-02-07 12:36PM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

I don't think this will doom him. BUT, I do thinkt his sends a signal to the GOP that they can manipulate the process as much as they did in 2004, and get away with it. These attacks, not policy, not Iraq, not anything else, are the definition of how the GOP beats us, and whether or not we win depends on our ability to be strong in the face of a bullshit storm over nothing. Rather than defining the narrative we are letting them control it.

by bruh21 2007-02-07 12:10PM | 0 recs
I just called the Campaign

and asked them if they had fired the bloggers.  The young lady on the phone said that the information had not been released.  I asked if was going to be on air or over their website and she said she did not know.

I failed to asked if they had made up their minds - damn it!  But by saying that info has not been released sounds like they have.  I wondering what it will be.

You can also contact John Edwards for President at:

Phone: (919) 636-3131

by lisadawn82 2007-02-07 12:13PM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

Another piece in the NYT and the attitude is hardening on Edwards at the moment.  Jerome Armstrong and myDD gets a prominent mention.

by Shaun Appleby 2007-02-07 12:29PM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

Well, I certainly hope Edwards keeps Amanda on board. Now that Kerry has skulked away, we on the Right have suffered a terrible loss. Tons of great material, all wasted now.

Amanda's joining the Edwards campaign gave us new hope.

Please, John Edwards, keep Amanda employed. Free her to rant at will, don't make her hold back a bit. She gives us so much to work with!

The idea a Michelle Malkin spoof could freak out the Edwards campaign is both shocking and disappointing.

by rogerontheright 2007-02-08 08:41AM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards

"I have a pretty vicious rant and an important action alert lined up"

Get over yourself Chris. Or rant away. Whatever, but you come off as a pompous ass. Do you have any idea how stupid you make the less of us look? Seriously, what's wrong with you people? If Edwards keeps those losers we will never win the election. We will chase away all the normal decent people who make up the majority of the votes. We need normal people on our side.

by Guardian 2007-02-08 05:06PM | 0 recs
by lucym 2007-06-26 08:03AM | 0 recs
Re: Waiting To Hear From Edwards
卫星电视上海卫星电 视卫星电视安 装安装卫星电 视圣诞树网站建设google优化Google左侧优化google排名Google左侧排名GOOGE左侧优化 5490;名 上海google优化google优化排名上海google左侧&# 25490;名上海google排名上海google左侧&# 20248;化google优化Google左侧优化短信群发短信群发器 短信群发群发短信短信群发器 小灵通群发 器小灵通短信 群发器短信群发软 件手机短信群 发软件短信群发设 备手机短信群 发设备手机短信群 发器网站建设网站设计网站制作美女图片美女写真性感美女制服美腿西洋美女走光偷拍网友自拍两性包装印刷上海包装印 刷免费电影免费下载电 影免费在线电 影上海印刷上海包装弯管弯管上海hp笔记ੑ 2;维修上海惠普笔 记本维修上海IBM笔记Ĉ 12;维修上海DELL笔记 412;维修上海联想笔 记本维修上海东芝笔 记本维修上海acer笔记 412;维修上海华硕笔 记本维修上海索尼笔 记本维修上海sony笔记 412;维修上海hp笔记ੑ 2;维修上海IBM笔记Ĉ 12;维修弯管 弯管加工 路灯节能路灯监控 合同能源管 理google优化google左侧优化google排名google左侧排名卫星电视卫星电视安 装上海卫星电 视安装卫星电 视安装卫星电 视卫星电视卫星电视安 装上海卫星电 视 短信群发短信群发企业短信群 发短信平台路灯监控路灯节能合同能源管 理
by feigeone 2007-12-01 07:49PM | 0 recs