Talk about a Stupid Incentive System

From political wire we see Bob Novak with one of his standard political gossip pieces, which are usually worth reading.

"Talk is increasing among House Democrats that if they fail to regain control after 12 years of a Republican majority, Rep. Nancy Pelosi should be replaced as the party's leader in the House... there is speculation about Rep. Rahm Emanuel of Illinois, a second-termer who chairs the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, as Pelosi's logical replacement."

Now I've heard the same thing, which of course doesn't make it true.  But if you're talking about an incentive system, this is awful.  As Chair of the DCCC, Rahm Emanuel is in charge of recapturing the House.  And if he fails what will happen is... he will get more power?

Putting aside the ideology, that's just rewarding failure.

Tags: 2006, Nancy Pelosi, rahm emanuel (all tags)

Comments

Re: Talk about a Stupid Incentive System

usually the stuff novak writes turns out to be completely not true, so i wouldnt put much stock into this anyway.

by yomoma2424 2006-06-04 08:24AM | 0 recs
DownWithTyranny might explode

We probably shouldn't tell Howie.  We all know how he loves Rahm Emmanuel.

by utbrian 2006-06-04 08:44AM | 0 recs
It Would Make Perfect Sense

Rewarding failure is the only thing the Versailles Dems seem to have in the way of an ideology.

Still, it's Robert Novack speaking.

by Paul Rosenberg 2006-06-04 08:47AM | 0 recs
Re: Talk about a Stupid Incentive System

Frankly, I'm not sure I'd get bent one way or the other.  My guess is that Emanuel's ego and need to win is more powerful than any negative incentive that may exist.

Personally I've come to the conclusion that the guy is a creep but he does seem pretty smart and wants to win.  Sad to say it but Pelosi is just the opposite and has been more than a bit of a disappointment, she should go anyway.

by mwfolsom 2006-06-04 09:11AM | 0 recs
Re: Talk about a Stupid Incentive System

Unless you're saying he would sabotage the election, it's a rather silly charge. Just because he's "in charge" of the DCCC doesn't mean he's entirely responsible for the democrat's success or failure, come on. And on top of that Pelosi's "We won't ever impeach bush" talk certainly isn't motivating the base.

by delmoi 2006-06-04 09:15AM | 0 recs
Re: Talk about a Stupid Incentive System

I'm not a huge fan of Pelosi, but I think Rahm would be worse (especially if he fails in Nov). But who instead? Who is the ideal Speaker/minority leader? Murtha? Waxman? Can't wait to hear.

by Benstrader 2006-06-04 10:01AM | 0 recs

Barney Frank.

He's smart and he's quick-witted, and he's got a good sense of humor.

Wouldn't it be nice to see a Dem leader on a pundit show and not feel embarrassed?

I realize the ads in October would paint the Dems as the Fag Party.....

by Taylor26 2006-06-04 10:47AM | 0 recs
Re: Talk about a Stupid Incentive System

I've commented one fantasy I have is the D's take both house's and in a moment of clarity and resounding Reason the country has Speaker Barney Frank and Majority leader Bernie Sanders.

Compare Bernie Sanders plains poken Vermont granite to shrub's false folkiness. Literacy compared to ignorance. etc. Then we could compare the new "happy Warrior" Barney Franks to heartless dick.  Couple this with the subpoena power they would have forcing this administration to answer some questions and let the fun begin.

Then, alas, I wake to the sad "realities" of todays politics and realize to the loss of the nation that it probably won't happen.

by Rational 2006-06-04 09:27PM | 0 recs
Re: Talk about a Stupid Incentive System

This sounds like DLC bullshit spin. Pelosi is doing a fine job keeping the caucus together and the House has rules that make life miserable for the minority. A woman speaker would be the most powerful women in US history and Pelosi is well placed to achieve just that role. This sounds like a trial balloon rumor started by the worst of Hillary Rodham Clinton's backers.

Rahm Emmanuel would be the same kind of tool in Congress for President Hillary Clinton that Bill Frist is to George W. Bush. I'm for a strong Congress as a check on the Executive, even it that Executive happens to be one I support. I continue to support Rep. Pelosi as leader and ultimately Speaker.

by joejoejoe 2006-06-04 10:24AM | 0 recs
This sounds like DLC bullshit spin

Testify brother.

Why would any Democrat talk to Novak?

Why would any patriot talk to Novak?

by Alice Marshall 2006-06-04 10:52AM | 0 recs
Exactly

As mommy used to say, consider the source.  This is little better than trash-talk.

by patachon 2006-06-04 01:02PM | 0 recs
Re: Exactly

What's trash? Which of the following do you dispute?

1) Nancy Pelosi would be her own power base as Speaker and act as a leader of the legislative branch. Rahm Emanuel would implement White House policy and act as an extension of the Executive Branch.

2) Rahm Emanuel endorses HRC in '08. See Real Time w/Bill Mahrer:
Mahrer:  Who - who do you want to be the candidate for - who would best - have the best chance of winning the White House back? Emanuel: I'm supporting Hillary Clinton. I'm public about it.

3) What progressive Democrats talk to Bob Novak?

4) Pelosi has done a good job keeping the House Caucus unified, her primary job. See Washington Monthly, "Not as Lame as You Think" by Amy Sullivan

"So it is that Democrats can be "hopelessly divided" while voting together 88 percent of the time, according to Congressional Quarterly; just one percentage point lower than the vaunted lock-step Republican caucus. They can be "pathetically ineffective" while dealing a humiliating defeat to the president's biggest domestic policy effort. They can be deemed "weak" and "timid" while setting the terms of the debate for pulling troops out of Iraq."

I'm a strong supporter of Nancy Pelosi, regardless of the outcome of the '06 elections. If speculating on the source of Novak's rumors is playground trash-talk makes me an unreliable source then I'm rubber and you're glue, no backsies. Na-na-nana-nah!

by joejoejoe 2006-06-04 09:14PM | 0 recs
Re: Talk about a Stupid Incentive System

joejoejoe is on the money.  The DLC is currently laying the CYA groundwork for the fall - just what good political consultants do.  Although I'm not sure why they're bothering since no loss seems to be enough to get them fired.  But that's what you get when you have a bunch of half-wit consultants running things instead of people who care about policy, who should be hiring and firing consultants without mercy.  So we get the leak about Emmanuel should the Dems lose.  Great talk, by the way, for June.  And we get this delightful manifesto from the DLC's site:

Democrats are rightly enthusiastic about the opportunities afforded in this fall's midterm elections to recapture control of Congress and reverse the narrow Republican advantage of the last two electoral cycles. But there's an undertow that could undermine the potential Democratic tide: efforts by some Democratic activists and organizations to introduce ideological litmus tests for elected officials and intimidate or even purge those who do not meet a narrow definition of what makes a "real Democrat."  These efforts not only threaten party unity and divert attention and resources from the broader goal of defeating Republicans; they also signal an intolerance toward dissent and diversity that can repel voters and make an enduring Democratic majority more difficult to achieve.

This phenomenon is best illustrated by the nationally driven campaign to deny re-nomination to Sen. Joe Lieberman (D-CT), with MoveOn.org and Democracy for America (an organization founded by DNC chairman Howard Dean and now run by his brother, Jim) playing an especially active role in recruiting money and volunteers for the challenger, Ned Lamont.

It's a dangerous undertow.  Honest to god, these people are not our friends.  Casey, Vilsack, Emmanuel, Clinton - anyone with the DLC stink on them should be a non-starter on any liberal blog.  Bar none.

That's what keeps me off of Edwards' bandwagon even though I'd love to love him.  I'd need some kind of convincing denunciation of the DLC from him before I could trust him.

by eRobin 2006-06-04 05:01PM | 0 recs
Re: Talk about a Stupid Incentive System

[quote]As Chair of the DCCC, Rahm Emanuel is in charge of recapturing the House.[/quote]

I'm not so sure that all of the DCCC sees that as its goal.  Perhaps Rahm, and some people that are backing him, see as his foremost goal to maintain the current leadership machine of the party.  And to win elections, too.

by Dumbo 2006-06-04 10:33AM | 0 recs
Re: Talk about a Stupid Incentive System

If we fail to retake the House this fall, neither Emanuel nor Pelosi should be leader. I can't say that I've thought of who'd be a better choice. But I am so tired of weak-willed Dems like Pelosi, Emanuel, Hoyer et al that I could scream (and often do, at my computer).

For me, this isn't about ideology. I'm sick and tired of the progressive v. liberal v. centrist narrative. Can't we just get along and worry about beating the true enemy- Bushie, Frist and Lieberman?

by muscleheadblog 2006-06-04 11:11AM | 0 recs
Re: Talk about a Stupid Incentive System

What 'incentive system' would you expect from people who treat Dem voters the same way Bush treats the press - with utter contempt? The sooner we recognize this contempt, the better off we'll all be. Dem voters, like me (once), like to make fun of all the crazies who perpetuate their own misery (Republicans, religious bigots, the media, etc.), but in the echo chamber that is the Dem blogosphere, we are unable to recognize our own complicity in and irrelevance to the system.

Or, 'failure' is relative to one's status. Failure for Pelois/Emanuel is getting booted from office and being unable to land a lucrative bribery gig on K street. Failure for the rest of us is more boring stuff, like losing our homes, our health care, our freedom, etc.

by shmooth 2006-06-04 11:14AM | 0 recs
Re: Talk about a Stupid Incentive System

I don't love Rahm Emmanuel.  In fact, he gives me the creeps.  But the Democrats who stand to take over chairmanships in the House are some of the worst of our Party.  Starting at the top, I'm not crazy about Pelosi being Speaker.  Working our way down, we find a bunch of guys who are sleazy, dishonest, and on the wrong side of a lot of important issues.  It's almost as if the scum rose to the top.

This is going to be an issue the GOP makes hay with in November.  With the Media in full anti-Dem mode the GOP might not need this issue at all, but I'd feel a lot better if there weren't so many stinkers ready to step up if the Dems take the House.

by nittacci 2006-06-04 11:36AM | 0 recs

Examples?

by who threw da cat 2006-06-04 12:49PM | 0 recs
Re: Talk about a Stupid Incentive System

Only if being the House Minority Leader is a reward.  I'm no big fan of Emanuel (my congressman, holding the esteemed Rod Blagoevich seat), but maybe the position is sufficient punishment for his sins.

by drlimerick 2006-06-04 11:50AM | 0 recs
Re: Talk about a Stupid Incentive System

I agree. It's not much of a reward really. If Democrats do win a majority this year, he'd probably stand a good shot at either Majority Leader or Whip. Those are much more powerful positions and incentives than Minority Leader.

But if the leadership can't win this year, they should all be thrown out. Emanuel would be one of the most responsible for a loss.

by Democrat724 2006-06-04 02:35PM | 0 recs
Re: Talk about a Stupid Incentive System

The more I think about this, the more I think the whole article is a provocation, designed to get Dems fighting amongst ourselves before the election has been held.

by Alice Marshall 2006-06-04 11:57AM | 0 recs

Makes sense to me.

by mjshep 2006-06-04 08:48PM | 0 recs
me three

How can anyone put credence to a statement that begins with "Talk is...?"

The guy is a joke and a sick joke at that. He needs to be put back in the hole out of which he crawled.  Instead, he still gets quoted ad nauseum. I can't take it anymore.

by misscee 2006-06-05 07:12AM | 0 recs
Re: Talk about a Stupid Incentive System

The comment makes sense though given Rahm's careless disregard of Dean and the netroots in the Congressional midterms.

Rahm wants to stick Dean with the blame for any failed chance to retake the House/Senate, consolidate his own power in the process and pave the way for Hillary.

by risenmessiah 2006-06-04 02:00PM | 0 recs
Re: Talk about a Stupid Incentive System

But Emanuel has already made his case that if the Dems fail to take over the House in this election it will be Howard Dean's fault.  Because Howard has "squandered" so much of the DNC's money on "useless" organizing in "useless" states during "useless" times.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/con tent/article/2006/05/10/AR2006051001927. html

Emanuel wins if he wins and he wins if he loses.  Nobody ever said the man isn't smart.

Carolyn Kay