Ten Days Ago, These Six Democrats Took a Sledgehammer to the Internet

About ten days ago, the House Telecom Subcommittee voted down strong net neutrality protection, thus paving the way for telecom companies to become gatekeepers of the internet and deliver web pages at different speeds based on who pays more.  This is a serious problem, because it means anyone with a web page may soon have to pay each telecom company separately to have their web page delivered reliably to consumers, and consumers will all experience a randomly slower web.  At some point soon, you may be able to access MyDD if you have RCN, but not if you have Comcast.  And if you want video streaming, well, that's extra, because the phone company says so.

Here are the Verizon six:

Eliot Engel: NY-17
Bart Stupak: MI-01
Ed Towns: NY-10
Al Wynn: MD-04
Charlie Gonzales: TX-20
Bobby Rush: IL-01

By the way, you might have noticed that I've added a new tag called 'primary project'.  Use this in your diaries for bad Democrats.

The eight yes votes were Democrats Ed Markey, Rick Boucher, Anna Eshoo, Jay Inslee, John Dingell, Mike Doyle, Frank Pallone, as well as Republican Heather Wilson.

The other 'no' votes were these Republicans:

Greg Walden, Oregon
Lee Terry, Nebraska
Mike Ferguson, New Jersey
John Sullivan, Oklahoma
Marsha Blackburn, Tennessee
Joe Barton, Texas

Tags: Al Wynn, Bart Stupak, Bobby Rush, Charlie Gonzales, Ed Towns, Eliot Engel, net neutrality, primary project (all tags)

Comments

Death of Free Internet

I'm doing my best on this issue.  As soon as I heard of this vote, I immediately sent an email to everyone I knew and posted the info on various other boards.

Main response?  "Won't happen in my lifetime..." and "you're over reacting..."

People don't get it.  Even those who have their own websites; a few with their own blogs/live journals and they didn't post this info on their boards.  Am I upset?  Hell, yes!  I'm just flabbergasted at the lack of interest over this MAJOR issue!

I'll do another round and am getting ready to create a flyer to post all over town - this is huge.  We can't let this vote to pass committee; which that vote is coming up this week.

by smugbug 2006-04-16 11:08AM | 0 recs
Re: Death of Free Internet

Main response?  "Won't happen in my lifetime..." and "you're over reacting..."

I've seen this a lot on other issues, like the criminalization of abortion.  There's a really strong tendency among people (maybe mostly Americans, dunno) to assume that the status quo is immutable.  As we know, that's entirely false.

But that assumption is killing us.

by jsw 2006-04-17 09:27AM | 0 recs
Re: Ten Days Ago, These Six Democrats Took a Sledg

"stupid six" ?

classy.

by heterodox 2006-04-16 11:13AM | 0 recs
Re: Ten Days Ago, These Six Democrats Took a Sledg

Ok, I changed it.

by Matt Stoller 2006-04-16 11:24AM | 0 recs
Re: Ten Days Ago, These Six Democrats Took a Sledg

Boucher seems one of the few who consistently thinks "correctly" (admittedly, that's defined as "agrees with me") on internet regulation issues -

by Mississippi Scott 2006-04-16 11:27AM | 0 recs
Re: Ten Days Ago, These Six Democrats Took a Sledg

Boucher is great, very thoughtful.

by Matt Stoller 2006-04-16 11:37AM | 0 recs
Re: Ten Days Ago, These Six Democrats Took a Sledg

They will use this to quash dissent and the grassroots.  They do not want an informed and active population because they can not manipulate and control us when we are informed!

This is not about profit this is about control, maybe not in the same way as the Chinese are doing but effectively accomplishing the same thing!

Fight this or we all loose!

by kevin22262 2006-04-16 11:43AM | 0 recs
Re: Ten Days Ago, These Six Democrats Took a Sledg

Actually it's the Verizon Five and The AT&T One: Charlie Gonzales. I reckon $60k from AT&T will buy a lot of committee votes.

by Sean Paul 2006-04-16 12:38PM | 0 recs
Re: Ten Days Ago, These Six Democrats Took a Sledg

I would add Bobby Rush to the A T & T bought abd for by side... A T & T is the carrier in Chicago and runs the infrastructure of this area.

by yitbos96bb 2006-04-17 09:04AM | 0 recs
Re: Ten Days Ago, These Six Democrats Took a Sledg

I really feel for these companies and politicos when the hackers attack them for fucking up the internet.

by jbou 2006-04-16 04:18PM | 0 recs
Re: Ten Days Ago, These Six Democrats Took a Sledg

Jay Inslee is my rep. I'm glad to see he isn't one of the Verizon/AT&T Six.

by nwprogressive 2006-04-16 11:53PM | 0 recs
Re: Time To Make An Example Out of One

Matt, I like the idea of the "primary project." I was invited to a fundraiser for a progressive woman who was toying with the idea of running against Al Wynn. I don't think she jumped in. Meanwhile, though, people who consider this a crucial issue should pick a race we might be able to influence significantly enough to make the difference. Looking at all the no-votes, I'd say the one race where concerted netroots action is most likely to effect change and defeat an already vulnerable incumbent is in New Hampshire's 2nd CD, where Charles Bass could be made to regret he continued his tradition of voting against consumers and in favor of the corporations that have financed his miserable political career. Paul Hodes is running against him and his website makes me think he's not some DCCC shill.

by DownWithTyranny 2006-04-16 06:20PM | 0 recs
Re: These Six Democrats

Now we know why the FEC published that generous-to-bloggers ruling last week.  They knew that by the time of the 2008 election, bloggers will be either heavily censored by the telecoms or out of business altogether.

by drlimerick 2006-04-16 06:45PM | 0 recs
What is the significance

of the fact that of these six, three are black and one is Hispanic, while all of the "yes" votes are white?  Is there some aspect of this that is particularly relevant to minority constituencies that we're (I'm) overlooking?

by lorax 2006-04-16 06:45PM | 0 recs
Re: What is the significance

Nope, just another issue where the "blue dogs" are on the right side and the "progressives" are not.

by ACSR 2006-04-17 03:59AM | 0 recs
Re: What is the significance

Nice drive-by smear.  Care to back it up with something?

by jsw 2006-04-17 09:29AM | 0 recs
Re: What is the significance

Not intended as a drive-by smear.  I'll have to explain in detail later when I get the time to start posting some diaries.  Suffice it to say for now that I'm a populist and a big-tenter.  I believe the progressives are right on some things, and I believe the blue dogs are right on some things.  Neither is right on everything.

by ACSR 2006-04-18 03:55AM | 0 recs
Re: What is the significance

Doesn't answer the question.  Why are all the minority congressman against this?

by lorax 2006-04-22 04:28PM | 0 recs
Wake Up People!

To anyone who thinks or says they have done all they can do or there is nothing to fear...

Have we all done all we can do?  I think not because I do not hear much about this on AAR and have have not even seen much written about it on Dkos, MyDD and other places.   When we want to support a candidate or a cause and the netroots take it on we usually gain attention for that cause or candidate.

Once again, I am not the organizer type.. I am the get pissed and kick ass type.  :)

We need someone to gather this together, get the talking points straight and frame this so the average person understands... so the average politician understands (because this WILL affect them).

possible example:

Rich republican candidates website gets all the access they need while the Democrat candidate  struggling to raise money through the grassroots gets little access via the net because they can not afford to PAY for play because the grassroots organizing machine (the netroots) can not afford to PAY to play either.  get it?

If we are not hearing more about this on the net and on AAR and other places, then we are not trying hard enough as a group.

by kevin22262 2006-04-16 07:50PM | 0 recs
Re: Ten Days Ago, These Six Democrats Took a Sledg

Edolphus Towns is terrible. Utterly safe Dem seat, and he votes against us all the time. It's sad that nobody (AFAIK) has stood up against him.

by dajafi 2006-04-16 08:19PM | 0 recs