Use It Or Lose It: Full Frontal Assault

Bumped--Chris

Over the past three days, we fired some warning shots across the bow of ultra-safe House Democrats who are hoarding campaign cash despite having either no Republican challenger, or token Republican challengers. By our count, this comes to over $50,000,000 we could use to extend the playing field outside of our top twenty-five targets. Today, with the help of MoveOn.org and several other blogs, the campaign moves into high gear.

Here is what we want: the 70 ultra-safe Democrats on our list to give 30% of their September 30th cash on hand directly to Democratic challengers, or directly to the DCCC. We then want them to post a statement on their websites, or issue a press release, explaining why they feel said donations are so important this year. In return, they will receive a much better chance of a Democratic House majority, and the adoring love of the netroots. If they do not this give this money, it will become more difficult to achieve a House majority, and they might also face some recurring questions about why they did not give when our candidates needed it the most, and when our target list was deeper than it has been in a generation. If they don't give and we don't win a majority then, well, that will really look bad in the future.

There are only fifteen days left in this election cycle. Time to purchase new media is running out. The longer we wait to purchase new media, the more expensive it will get. Many field campaigns in districts outside of the top twenty five are skeleton crews starved for cash, and will struggle compared to the Republican GOTV machine. We have an extremely rare opportunity in dozens of districts, and we have to make it count--now. I want nothing more than to laud praise onto generous Democrats, such as Barney Frank, who has already donated more than 30% of his $800K+ September 30th cash on hand to the DCCC. I want both money and praise to flow. I want to help build up the image of new netroots heroes, and believe me I will do just that when Democrats start giving. But our time is short. The election ends in just fifteen days.

Call the ultra-safe Democrats in your state on this list. When you call, you will be told that these Democrats have already given money to Democratic challengers and party committees. Don't be daunted: Here are several ways to respond:
  • Tell them that you know they have already given this cycle, but our target list hasn't been this deep--60-70 Republicans seats!--in over twenty years, and it needs to be fully funded, so they need to give more.
  • Tell them the grassroots have never given this much before, and safe Democratic incumbents need to do the same.
  • Tell them the DCCC and the DNC are taking out loans of more than $10 million in order to fund seats that have not been competitive in a decade.
  • Tell them the time to buy new media is running out, and with every passing day, media buys will become more expensive for our candidates.
Remember, you won't be alone when you call. Thousands are joining you around the nation. Call ultra-safe Democratic House incumbents in your state today. Tell them you will sing their praises far and wide when they give 30%. Tell them we have to use this money, or we could lose these elections. It really is that simple.

You can report your calling experiences in the comments, or follow this link to MoveOn.org's action report page.

Tags: Activism, Democrats, Fundraising, House 2006, Use It (all tags)

Comments

Re: Use It Or Lose It: Full Frontal Assault

are you cross posting this at other blogs?

by bruh21 2006-10-23 06:33AM | 0 recs
No pushback from Maloney

"We must take back the Congress.  We're in the process of moving the money."

by jayackroyd 2006-10-23 07:04AM | 0 recs
Re: No pushback from Maloney

That's great!  Did they give any numbers?

by Fran for Dean 2006-10-23 07:09AM | 0 recs
Re: No pushback from Maloney
What did you think they meant by "moving the money." Any indicationt hat they would post a press release saying how much?
by Chris Bowers 2006-10-23 07:10AM | 0 recs
Re: No pushback from Maloney

I did not ask. I'll do so on a later call.

At the very least, the message is getting through.  There was absolutely no hesitiation on the need to support candidates in close races.

by jayackroyd 2006-10-23 08:59AM | 0 recs
Kerry calls idea he's cording "lies"

this is what I got when I sent a note to the Kerry organization:

From: "Info" <info@johnkerry.com>
Date: October 19, 2006 7:14:22 PM EDT
To: "Info" <info@johnkerry.com>
Subject: Thank you for your message

Thank you for your message, and we appreciate hearing from you.

Unfortunately, the anonymous website which directed you to us is full of lies and misleading statements.

We wanted to make sure you had complete, accurate information about John Kerry's efforts over the last 2 years to support Democratic candidates up and down the ticket all across the country.  Here are the facts:

"Give me five more John Kerry's," says Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee Chairman Rahm Emanuel (D-Ill.). "He's a fighter, and he puts his money where his mouth is." - Roll Call, 5.1.06

No one has done more than John Kerry to support Democratic candidates. 11 million dollars. Over 200 candidates in more than 40 states. That's how much, together, the johnkerry.com community and John Kerry have given to or raised for Democratic candidates and committees since November 2004.  John Kerry is aggressively fundraising for Democratic candidates in 2006 - making direct contributions to campaigns, attending and hosting events in the states, emailing his 3 million person list of supporters on behalf of candidates, and raising money for state parties, the DNC, DSCC and DCCC.

"He also won plaudits for working on behalf of House candidates. `The question is was somebody willing to stand up back in the dark days when I needed help, and he was,' said US Representative Rahm Emanuel, chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee.   -- Boston Globe, Brian Mooney, 10/9/06

Kerry has personally traveled to 24 states to appear with candidates and rally support at the grassroots. Kerry has made over 85 trips across the country to support Democratic candidates this cycle.

Kerry gave $1 million to the Democratic National Committee and raised an additional $250,000 for the DNC online. Kerry also gave $1 million to the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee and $500,000 to the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee. Kerry contributed $50,000 to the Louisiana State Party and gave $250,000 to the Washington State Democratic Party which helped finance a recount when the Republican party challenged the win of Gov. Christine Gregoire in 2005.

With the help of the johnkerry.com community, together we have raised over 100K each for 11 candidates, including Cantwell, Bill Nelson, Byrd, Sherrod Brown, Ford, McCaskill, Klobuchar, Webb, Duckworth, Patrick Murphy and Joe Sestak.

"Kerry has a big electronic address book and he hasn't been shy about using it...it's also bringing in quite a bit of money for Democrats nationwide...he has given or raised nearly $10 million for Democratic candidates and committees since November 2004." - Washington Post, "Kerry Treasury Department," 7.2.06

Getting veteran candidates elected to key seats is a top priority for John Kerry in 2006.  He has actively supported over a dozen veteran candidates, including Jim Webb, Tammy Duckworth, and Chris Carney. "The Winners: John Kerry: Kerry not only endorsed Webb but appeared with him Monday for a last-minute campaign rally. Kerry also used his national e-mail list to raise cash and turn out the vote."- Washingtonpost.com, The Fix, "VA Senate Winners and Losers," 6.14.06

Additionally, in 2005-06, John Kerry contributed or raised over $175,200 on behalf of the Massachusetts Democratic party, He has used his email list to recruit over 500 volunteers to support the state's efforts to elect Democrats in November. In the last two months before the election, he will attend 5 events in support of Deval Patrick, the Democratic nominee for Governor, and the Democratic ticket.

by dhmspector 2006-10-23 07:13AM | 0 recs
Kerry &quot;lies&quot;

I distinctly remember giving Kerry money for his legal fund in case of election irregularities and court fights. That fund was over $10 Million, iirc.

He didn't use it.

He needs to use it now.

by zappatero 2006-10-23 08:20AM | 0 recs
Re: Kerry calls idea he's cording &quot;lies&quot;

I got that form letter too. Here's what I mailed back on Friday (no response yet):

Thanks for your response, if rote. I deeply respect Sen. Kerry--worked for him in 2004 (in MO), look forward to doing so again.

But while the numbers below are impressive and believable (I didn't go to the website that steered me here for solid numbers), they don't address the two that matter: How much is left in Sen Kerry's campaign fund, and how much more will he give to the DSCC this year?

Personally, I'd like Sen Bayh to give all of his, as I don't like him much, and Sen. Clinton at least half, since she so clearly can replace it easily. (I know neither will happen.) As I said I respect Sen Kerry quite a bit-- more than them--but I'd like to see him donate at least one third more, along with all his great efforts on the stump.

I do worry that those who want to run for Pres in 2008 aren't as keen to see all of Congress in Dem hands as the rest of us. Prove that Sen Kerry isn't that foolish--give more--then make a challenge to Clinton, Bayh, etc. to match it.

by Lefty Minion 2006-10-23 10:28AM | 0 recs
Re: Use It Or Lose It: Full Frontal Assault

This does sort of get at the critique of liberals that they have a hard time telling the difference between other people's money and their own.

He is counting what comes in off of an email to his list as money he contributed.  It is money he raised, but it is not money he gave.  When he says he raised $250,000 for the DNC it was because an email went out and that was the response.  That is good, but it is still not quite the same as him giving away what he directly controls.

To be fair, I think he raised that money for himself and his future and that is why some people gave it.  Maybe some expect him to give it all away, but I don't.

I do think that he should be willing to follow the Chris and Matt line and give 30%.   If he could put $750,000 in to the Senate campaigns in MO, TN, and VA he could help make the difference in the Senate.

Here's even a self-interested upside for him:  He gives, Dems win in the Senate, Hilary is lured in to taking that Majority leader job when Harry gives it to her, and his #1 road block to the nomination is out of the way.

John?

by Orlando 2006-10-23 07:24AM | 0 recs
Re: Use It Or Lose It: Full Frontal Assault
Called Rangel - his office had gotten other calls, said he has given 700K to other candidates 600K to dccc and would be giving more. i urged giving some money to John Hall NY-19, for whom i was doing GOTV this weekend and last, and will again in the weekends ahead.
when i did a diary about this in August on dailykos it seemed like even tho blue dogs defect from the democratic party much more than progressives on votes, they give more than progressives to the party's campaign efforts. This is a great project.
mobilize to win!
by mobilizer 2006-10-23 07:27AM | 0 recs
Lloyd Doggett

Looking at what will hopefully be my next representative... the most progressive Texas Democrat in the state, Lloyd Doggett... I would be very hesitant to "suggest" to him to "donate" 1/3 of his cash on hand to the DCCC. Doggett has had his district redrawn 4 times in the past 6 years... and has been expressly targeted by republicans for removal because of his voting record (and seniority)... He is now one of only four congressmen in the nation running in, yet again, a completely new district... with many of his (future) constituents having never had the opportunity to vote for him... and a majority of his constituents not having had the opportunity to vote for him in the last cycle. If he does not garner 50% of the vote, he will need money for an immediate runoff. His campaign "stash" is thus there for several reasons. Namely, Republicans will get control of the state house and senate again this year, and there is NO reason whatsoever that they won't Re-Re-Re-ReDistrict, yet again... and having a stash of cash would be a significant deterrent from that. Plus, as I said already, he will need the cash immediately, if by chance he were not to win a majority this cycle... not outside the realm of possibility considering over half of his constituents haven't voted for him in the past. Finally, he will need large amounts of cash to re-build his new district's party-infrastructure in both the rural and urban regions... and this is drastically more necessary than any 30-second advertisement in the next 10 days. Please take Lloyd Doggett off of your list. It is offensive to suggest that the "progressive netroots" wouldn't support him if he wasn't to "give" 30% of his acquired money for stupid last-minute advertising.

by NCDem 2006-10-23 07:35AM | 0 recs
Re: Use It Or Lose It: Full Frontal Assault

Is the Arizona race of Mitchell v Hayworth a lost cause? Is it an inside the beltway race? I never see anything on ActBlue or any national blogs

by wjbill 2006-10-23 07:45AM | 0 recs
Re: Use It Or Lose It: Full Frontal Assault

Out of curiousity, why isn't my Congresswoman, Rosa DeLauro (CT-03) on the list? She has no competition at ALL in her race. I'm hoping it's because she has already donated a bunch of her cash to her fellow Dems running in CT-02, -04, and -05.

by da0802 2006-10-23 07:52AM | 0 recs
Successes

Have we made any progress with this?  I know you took off at least 2 people the other night, but we should definetly announce the people that came through for us so we can thank them, and know who the big supporters are.

by John Nicosia 2006-10-23 07:53AM | 0 recs
Chaka Fattah contact info....

The lady said that the most effective weay to contact chaka fattah on this issue is by email to Ms. Leeks. The DC number does not handle any campaign issues and the other number is a recording.

email the campaign at mleeks@chakafattah.com

by Erik 2006-10-23 07:59AM | 0 recs

Email gets deleted.  Phone calls get attention.   (215) 988-0132 for his mayoral exploratory committee.

by Adam B 2006-10-23 08:28AM | 0 recs
I asked specifically...

for a phone number but she said that email was the best. Why would she do that to me?

by Erik 2006-10-23 08:31AM | 0 recs
Re: I asked specifically...

To blow you off and allow them to not deal with it, filing all the complaints in one place.  Duh.  (If I'm being cynical.)

Maisha Leek is Rep. Fattah's finance director, so she would be a right person to talk to.

by Adam B 2006-10-23 08:51AM | 0 recs
Response from email...

Thanks for taking the time to write during such an important election! We've have been working diligently for our local candidates, we hosted a fundraiser for the PA challengers last week, raising thousands of dollars for them. Additionally, 1/3 of all the money Congressman Fattah has ever raised, in his entire career, has gone to the DCCC and Democratic causes across the country.
We're grateful for your activism and Democrats in this state are indebted to your involvement! Thanks again for writing!

Fattah for Congress
P.O. Box 30743
Philadelphia, PA19104

by Erik 2006-10-23 10:22AM | 0 recs
Re: Response from email...

Cong. Fattah attended such an event, but I'm not aware of one he hosted.

He's saving for the mayor's race.  File this away.

by Adam B 2006-10-23 01:25PM | 0 recs
Holt (NJ-12)

I talked to a woman at the campaign headquarters named Samantha.  She directed me to a posting by Rush Holt on bluejersey.net (which doesn't seem to be up yet). She told me about all the different ways Holt has helped out local candidates Stender and Aronson, and about the $100K he gave to the DCCC. When I said that was equal to the dues he owed, she said it would be impossible for Holt to give the full 30% because of campaign expenses incurred even against a token candidate. After about five minutes, it became clear I couldn't persuade her otherwise, but she said she'd pass my message along.  In fairness, Holt has been helping out a lot and his district is expensive, and one of the swingiest in the state. And I'd love it if he became our senator if Lautenberg retires in 08.

I think the number you listed for Holt is incorrect. It led me to a busy signal and so I called the number listed on his campaign website, which has a 530 instead of 278.

by Gabius 2006-10-23 08:03AM | 0 recs
Re: Holt (NJ-12)

This is the comment you're looking for:

I'm glad this topic has come up

I have long believed that Democrats who are elected to office have a responsibility to help Democratic challengers who are seeking office.  This year in particular, helping Democratic challengers has the potential to change the direction of the country meaningfully and immediately.

Since the numbers cited above are not accurate and the updates are not fully informed, I thought it was important to let you know what I am doing to elect Democrats from New Jersey and other states.  I contributed $100,000 to DCCC by the third quarter so the party could make investments in late-breaking pick-up races.  Beyond that, however, I have given $50,000 from my campaign to Frontline Democrats, Red 2 Blue candidates, and other Democratic challengers.  Also, in addition to raising funds for my own campaign, I raised another $50,000 for the DCCC and Red 2 Blue campaigns directly.  For example, just looking at Linda Stender's campaign, I have spent hours of call time with Linda asking donors to support her candidacy, worked with Rep. Jack Murtha to do a press conference with her last week, and gave from my campaign the maximum allowable under federal law (I do not have a PAC).  By the way, I've also given to Paul Arohnson and Carol Gay.  Outside of New Jersey, I have traveled to help Democratic candidates in Connecticut, Pennsylvania, New York, and Arizona.  As the election nears and I make decisions about GOTV, mail, and other campaign needs in Central New Jersey, I will continue to see how I can be helpful to Democratic candidates around the country.

I share this not to pat myself on the back.  I give what I can while still keeping enough to execute a robust campaign, respond to potential NRCC sneak attacks, and prepare for the next cycle with enough to stay off the Republican target list.  No one wants to take back the House more than I do, and I am proud of what I am doing to help make that happen.

-Rush Holt

by: Rush Holt @ Fri Oct 20, 2006 at 15:01:42 PM EDT

by Blue Jersey 2006-10-23 08:14AM | 0 recs
It's also not accurate...

...to call Holt's district ultra-safe.  This was drawn up as a lean-GOP district (Princeton and suburban environs).  His opening came when the incumbent made an ass of himself by singing a love song to Kenneth Starr on the floor of the Congress.  Since then, he's beaten back a succession of spirited GOP challengers, and was often near the top of the NRCC target list.  This year, he's getting something of a break, because he's facing a weaker challenger.  Still, the demographics of the district mean that he can take no election for granted--which makes his willingness to give time and money to others all the more impressive.

by lonemorriscodem 2006-10-23 09:04AM | 0 recs
Re: It's also not accurate...

Holt had two of the closest races in NJ history in '98 and '00. But then the district was gerrymandered  and a chunk of solid-dem Trenton was added. He hasn't faced a tough race since. Holt has other legit reasons to keep a rainy-day fund, but competitiveness is not one of them.

by Gabius 2006-10-23 11:50AM | 0 recs

good idea

by buffalo girl 2006-10-23 08:05AM | 0 recs
Re: Use It Or Lose It: Full Frontal Assault

Buffalo Girl won't you come out tonite and call a few congressment too. I couldn't help myself with that snark LOL!

by eddieb 2006-10-23 08:16AM | 0 recs
hee hee

I would but I'm busy running an early voting GOTV phone bank from morning to night...........

by buffalo girl 2006-10-23 09:38AM | 0 recs
Robert Bardy PA-1...

Voicemail at local number...Dc office doesn't handle the issue. Call the campaign committee at 215-241-4804.

by Erik 2006-10-23 08:13AM | 0 recs
Re: Use It Or Lose It: Full Frontal Assault

I contacted Charlie Rangle's NY office. The fella who answered seemed to know what I was talking about. I told him how I just gave 225.00 to Act blue and I only receive a $1,200 Disability Check each month(True). I asked him "If I can give 30% couldn't he" I also told him I want him to take charge and he will be repaid in spades. I did mention use it or lose it compaign. I think he will pass it on.I believe he will cough it up if he gets a lot more pressure.

by eddieb 2006-10-23 08:14AM | 0 recs
Re: Use It Or Lose It: Full Frontal Assault

I called Mike Capuano's office on Friday and today. On Friday, they were polite and reported having no idea what I was talking about. They also reported a Republican challenger which the changed when I told them that I knew there wasn't and this was Boston...where he would no trouble.  They said they would get back to me.  Since they didn't, I called again, but got the voice mail today.

by jab10 2006-10-23 08:42AM | 0 recs
Yup.

Best for whom is always the question.

by by foot 2006-10-23 08:52AM | 0 recs
May I suggest

If you personally know major donors to the Dem candidates in the districts of interest, they could be of significant help.  They tend to get heard rather more immediately than, say, someone like me who gives in $25 or $50 donations.

If you know folks like this, and if you think they're amenable to hearing, and then relaying the Use It Or Lose It message, give 'em a call pronto.

That said, we still need lots of calls from the grassroots.

by by foot 2006-10-23 08:57AM | 0 recs
It's not an analogy...

Unless it's an analogy.

here's an anaolgy...

Dick Cheney shoots you in the face once. Luckily, you have enough money in the bank to pay your medical bills and survive the gunshot wound.

Cheney re-loads, shoots you in the face again. Luckily, your friends came to your rescue, seeing how hard-up you are for cash, and you once again survive your wound.

Cheney re-loads, shoots you in the face again... again, your friends come to your rescue, seeing how hard-up you are for cash, and you once again survive your wound.

Cheney re-loads and tries to shoot you in the face, yet a court-judge manages to push the gun away just in time.

Cheney is once again re-loading, and this time, you put some fucking body armor on before he shoots you in the fucking face again.

by NCDem 2006-10-23 09:13AM | 0 recs
Continuing with your bad analogies...

And this is analagous to what?  Because if you're suggesting that Lloyd Doggett needs to fork over cash to "recruit" progressive friends, you're sorely mistaken in your analogy, yet again.

by NCDem 2006-10-23 09:26AM | 0 recs
Re: It's not an analogy...

Yeah but we're recruiting friends in Washington, not Austin.

by adamterando 2006-10-23 09:26AM | 0 recs
House Members Matching Funds?

I got this Barack Obama written email today from the DCCC that included this line:

"We have just 15 days to give the American people the leadership they are looking for. Make a secure online contribution today and it will be matched 3-to-1 by Democratic House members for every dollar contributed online effectively giving you four times the impact."

Does this mean those house members who are in safe races, the folks Bowers has been talking about? Who are these House members who will match funds, anyone know?

by argghh 2006-10-23 09:30AM | 0 recs
Re: Use It Or Lose It: Full Frontal Assault

I've made my call to the Kerry campaign.

by rbottoms 2006-10-23 09:32AM | 0 recs
Re: Use It Or Lose It: Full Frontal Assault

I talked with Earl Blumenauer this morning, and he rattled off the list of things and monies that he's doing to elect Dems, pretty impressive that he's doing it on his own. Direct funding and campaigning for candidates in the NW. I asked that he do a MyDD diary to update the community on what he's done.

by Jerome Armstrong 2006-10-23 09:36AM | 0 recs
Re: Continuing with your bad analogies...

A Democratic Congress has nothing to do with a Democratic State House.

by adamterando 2006-10-23 09:39AM | 0 recs
Re: It's not an analogy...

Well I think your logic is a little tortured there. Wouldn't it make more sense to have Doggett give lots of his money to state house, state senate, and governnor candidates who actually will be able to directly help him rather than relying on the potential generosity of 30 new Freshmen Democrats who will no doubt be fending off strong challenges in 2008 (since one-termers are the most vulnerable incumbents)? You notice Melissa Bean is not on our target list even though she has a bazillion dollars.

by adamterando 2006-10-23 09:52AM | 0 recs
EXACTLY EXACTLY EXACTLY!!!

The presumption by this whole campaign is that these people are "sitting" on money, not doing anything with it but saving their own asses... but when you look at it on a case-by-case basis, the reality is very different. This is a horribly presumptuous campaign that, if actually followed through (it won't be, because locals know what locals need)... has the potential to be very damaging to local and state party infrastructure.  Keep the cash.  ORGANIZE ORGANIZE ORGANIZE. PREPARE PREPARE PREPARE. Don't give precious resources to T.V. execs. so that we can have ANOTHER 30 seconds of the same frigging advertisement that we've all seen 12 times.

I urge these blogsters to re-read what the blogfather wrote in the first place... and I urge the blogfather himself to do the same.

by NCDem 2006-10-23 10:04AM | 0 recs
Re: EXACTLY EXACTLY EXACTLY!!!

Right. Case by case. Meehan was definately sitting on his money, since he had over 4 million but it's alittle silly to paint a broad brush and assume that EVERYONE who has lots of money without a strong challenger needs to pony up. Life sure as hell ain't that simple. This campaign came up very quickly and campaigns that build steam very quickly typically are not that well thought out. Sometimes that is necessary to prevent paralysis so that SOMETHING gets done. But sometimes it leads to misdirected energy that could be better spent elsewhere. I would imagine there are probably at least 25 or so Dems that should be donating a lot more to the national effort. But that would require some research into what each Dem incumbent does for the local party and how well they spend their money. For example, I for one, had no idea how much Doggett meant to local Dem infrastructure. All I knew was he was great progressive who was always the bane of the Texas GOP who've been itching to get rid of him for years. But it's a lot harder to research what someone does in their own districts that to look at the most recent CoH filings with the FEC and conclude, "Doggett is hoarding and needs to give it up."

I don't mean to completely trash this whole idea. I think it makes sense for some, or even a lot of incumbents since many Dems have been "packed" into high Dem districts with no republicans. But in my opinion, people tend to get a little too zealous about following through on these things without examining the individual circumstances first. Now on the other hand, if the only downside is that someone wastes some time making a phone call to a congressman's office who then tells the caller all they're doing for their local party, then no big deal. I suppose some of these calls have been good at highlighting what some of these congressman are doing. But at what point do hundreds and hundreds of calls distract from the movement and the overall campaign?

by adamterando 2006-10-23 10:54AM | 0 recs
Re: EXACTLY EXACTLY EXACTLY!!!

Meehan had $2 million, went out and raised $3 million more and then spent a pittance since the seat is in Massachusetts.  That's a lot worse than sitting on it.  As you can see, i have no love lost for that tactic.

Meehan.  Sheesh.

by David Kowalski 2006-10-23 12:07PM | 0 recs
Re: EXACTLY EXACTLY EXACTLY!!!

Me neither. Meehan is in a class by himself. And once again, case-by-case is the way to analyze this.

by adamterando 2006-10-23 05:59PM | 0 recs
Re: Use It Or Lose It: Full Frontal Assault

I called all the Los Angeles area Democrats.
I talked to somewhat friendly staffers but didn't receive any specific commitments. I did leave my number for call backs and ask they post their decision on their campaign website to forestall callbacks later in the week.

I got answering machines at Berman and Harman's numbers.

I spoke with a staffer at Schiff and Becerra's office.

BAD NUMBERS

Napolitano: 562-462-1132 is a fax machine.
Solis: 310-477-8081 is a wrong number.

by MadProfessah 2006-10-23 09:55AM | 0 recs
Condemn Doggett...

If he suddenly stops using his funds for GOTV, which helps local (and statewide) Democrats. If he decides not to open local offices throughout his, yet again new, district. If he stops donating hefty sums for rebuilding the Texas democratic party (that the National Party has repeatedly SHAT on (that's past-tense) for decades. Doggett's district, wherever he resides, and wherever the Republicans draw it, serves as a Mecca for Democratic party organization in the state of Texas, because Doggett finances it, and Doggett believes in the Texas Democratic Party. If it were not for Doggett, the Texas Democratic Party would be a skeleton of what it is... and it ain't much now. Doggett at least gives Texas Democrats the opportunity to HOPE.

So forgive him, and the rest of us in Texas who think it perhaps best to say, "Thanks for the 'suggestion', but 'no thanks'." When it comes to giving hundreds of thousands of dollars towards 30 seconds of advertising (this does not equate to 30 Democrats in Washington). We'll take the infrastructure that this money can build instead... thank you very much.

by NCDem 2006-10-23 09:57AM | 0 recs
Ed Markey campaign info

Campaign Office
1058 Mass Ave
Arlington, MA
(781) 483-3990
edmarkey@edmarkey.org

I haven't had a chance to verify this, but someone can check the number.  There wasn't a number on the list.

by JeffGilson 2006-10-23 09:58AM | 0 recs
Re: Ed Markey info; + Capuano + Meehan

This is the Markey campaign # I got from Wash.DC
781-395-3880
Spoke to a Markey campaign worker who said Markey has raised $1 million and made lots of appearances. I asked heim to email me the list of appearances.

Capuano and Meehan left a message.

by peggy0 2006-10-23 10:17AM | 0 recs
Schakowsky

I emailed an aide, who got back to me, but not with anything quotable.

The gist was that Schakowsky has been helping.

I checked a box indicating that I had contacted Schakowsky at Move-On dot org hoping that I would be taken to a page showing the total calls etc. so far. I was disappointed that I did not get feedback from them, especially after I gave them feedback.

by Jeff Wegerson 2006-10-23 10:22AM | 0 recs
If he wants to, he can do that.

Oh really? So you think that infrastructure-building on the local level is a viable alternative? I thought that there was only one possible way to spend this money and maintain the grassroots friendship... to have Chris Bowers from bum-fuck Pennsylvania tell legislators in South Austin what's best for them... spend it on t.v. saturation in idaho... or else the mighty Bowers (and the dominion over which he resides) won't be their friend any more.

by NCDem 2006-10-23 10:50AM | 0 recs
I am seriously...

and now you have the audacity to suggest that Lloyd Doggett hasn't "participated" on the national level.

JESUS... this beautifully illustrates whole problem with this campaign... that having some cash on hand  has apparently become a "litmus test" as to whether a politician is or is not a national "participant".

by NCDem 2006-10-23 10:55AM | 0 recs
Re: It's not an analogy...

Right, a powerful majority in Austin with deep fundraising connections across the entire state of Texas. Because somehow I don't think any of this money will be going to Nick Lampson.

by adamterando 2006-10-23 11:00AM | 0 recs
Use It Or Lose It: The Senate Edition?

Chris:

With Republicans pouring their resources into the three-state firewall of Missouri, Tennessee and Virginia, why aren't you advocating MyDD readers to call their senators and ask them to give money to DSCC or directly to Democratic challengers?

By targeting safe Democratic incumbents -- you list 12 such senators in your Senate Forecast -- and asking them to direct thirty percent of their unneeded funds

Here's a list of Democratic incumbents whose races you've listed as "Non-Competitive" in your Senate forecast with their cash-on-hand compared to that of their token opposition:

(Dem. and COH -- Rep. and COH -- 30%)
Akaka ($313,107) -- Thielen ($83,165) -- 30 percent: $93,932.10
Bingaman ($1,603,445) -- McCulloch ($2,486) -- 30 percent: $481,033.50
Byrd ($887,243) -- Raese ($142,248) -- 30 percent: $266,172.90
Carper ($2,154,641) -- ($51,531) -- 30 percent: $646,392.30
Clinton ($15,756,426) -- Spencer ($474,065) -- 30 percent: $4,726,927.80
Conrad ($2,907,719) -- Grotberg ($4,147) -- 30 percent: $872,315.70
Feinstein ($7,407,939) -- Mountjoy ($20,695) -- 30 percent: $2,222,381.70
Kennedy ($7,435,096) -- Chase ($36,448) -- 30 percent: $2,230,528.80
Kohl ($114,714) -- Lorge ($3,768) -- 30 percent: $34,414.20
Nelson, Bill ($6,835,120) -- Harris ($963,639) -- 30 percent: $2,050,536.00
Nelson, Ben ($449,213) -- Ricketts ($1,674,362) -- 30 percent: $134,763.90
Stabenow ($1,251,830) -- Bourchard ($603,519) -- 30 percent: $375,549.00

Unless I've added wrong along the way, that totals $14,000,184.00.

Democratic senators elected in 2004 by large margins could also be targeted, as they'd be less likely to face strong opposition in 2010.

(Senator with ending cash -- 30%)
Blanche ($245,398) -- 73619.4
Boxer ($1,106,546) -- $331,963.80
Dodd ($1,855,961) -- $556,788.30
Inouye ($683,718) -- $205,115.40
Obama ($755,696) -- $226,708.80
Bayh ($10,578,491) -- $3,173,547.30
Mikulski ($400,555) -- $120,166.50
Reid ($185,942) -- $55,782.60
Schumer ($10,091,773) -- $3,027,531.90
Wyden ($1,110,050) -- $333,015
Leahy ($949,381) -- $284,814.30
Murray ($1,019,100) -- $305,730
Feingold ($1,700,985) -- $510,295.50

Again, unless I've added wrong, that totals $9,205,078.80.

The Classes of 2004 and 2006 total: $23,205,262.80.

The firewall:
Ford ($771,674) -- Corker ($497,583), Corker with ability to self-finance
McCaskill ($246,724) -- Talent ($4,204,741)
Webb ($2,731,442) -- Allen ($5,569,416)

An influx of $20 million would not only help break through the Republican firewall, but also help maintain the substantial leads we've managed to gain in a number of other Republican-held states.

Such a large influx could also substantially change the dynamics of a longshot race, like Nevada. Unlike Arizona and Connecticut -- where Pederson and Lamont have poured their personal finances into the races and still trail by around 10 points in most polls -- Carter suffers from a three-to-one cash disadvantage and has suffered such a chasm for much of the race. Diverting just a small portion of this $20 million could make Nevada a top-tier race.

A great number of these senators are pondering presidential bids in 2008, so promising netroots goodwill would likely go much further in this operation than it would in the House Use It or Lost It campaign.

All cash on hand numbers listed here come from Congressional Quarterly / Real Clear Politics figures through 9/30/06.

by mlangenmayr 2006-10-23 11:41AM | 0 recs
Re: Use It Or Lose It: The Senate Edition?

This is the comment I was looking for. I totally agree the requests should be expanded to senators. Obviously presidential ambition encourages senators to horde their money, but Kennedy and Feinstein, for example, both have a load of money no risk of ever losing, and little possibility of a pres. bid. I really think Hillary should use her 37 mil to try and buy a senate majority, and then quietly get Harry to step down from maj. leader (in favor of a plum committee) and use her national visibility and safe seat to enact some real change as Queen of the senate, instead of running for pres.

I would also encourage senators to spend on house races, as control of both houses is that much better for both.

by jujube 2006-10-23 05:54PM | 0 recs
Capuano not picking up phone

I left a message with the $160K pitch and asked them to call me back.

by Kathy Paur 2006-10-23 12:55PM | 0 recs
Re: Use It Or Lose It: Full Frontal Assault

Called Rep. John Larson's (CT) office today. The woman who answered assured me that Rep. Larson has given much financially to other candidates, I replied that the depth of the pool of competitive races is such that it makes it imperative to give more, and that other Dem's have given more than the 30%. She didn't seem interested, but she said she'd give Rep. Larson the message.

by lkmcland 2006-10-23 12:57PM | 0 recs
NJ calls

I called the campaigns of four Dem representatives today:

1)  Called my own rep, Frank Pallone in NJ-06; got put on hold for a while; when someone finally came back on the line, politely explained that I am a constituent, have voted for Pallone ever since I moved to his district; asked if Pallone would give a significant chunk of campaign funds--25% to 30%--to support Dems in highly-contested races.  Campaign staffer took down name, address, and phone, and promised that he would pass message along to the Congressman.  I ended by saying I was looking forward to hearing back that he had done so.

Pallone was one of several NJ congressmen hoping to step into the Corzine senate seat.  Like Menendez and Holt, he had voted against going to war in Iraq, so was actually considered.  Amassed campaign warchest in anticipation of the Senate race.

Bottom Line: Don't think it's going to happen, don't think Pallone will cough up $$$ for Dems in any meaningful way this year.  He's waiting to run for Lautenberg's seat in 2008, so he's going to keep the cash for that run.

2)  Called Rush Holt's campaign office [Mr. NJP does consulting work in his district, and we used to live in his district].  Had the same experience as Gabius above.  Spoke with Samantha, who gave me the same run down--Rush's $$ going to several races and to DCCC, campaigning for Stender, brought Murtha to NJ to campaign for Stender, message up on the Rush Holt campaign website.  Samantha asked if I was calling after reading Blue Jersey blog, and I said yes, that and MyDD both.

Holt was another contender for the Corzine seat, but didn't amass as large a campaign fund as Pallone or Rob Andrews in NJ-01.  Holt probably wants to run for Lautenberg's Senate seat in 2008, too.

Bottom Line: Holt is doing way more than any other Dem in NJ.  It's not 30%, but it's not insubstantial.  Don't praise him excessively, since he hasn't done nearly as much as he could, but don't trash him, because he's actually done something.

3)  Tried to contact Donald Payne's office, NJ-10, where I work.  He has no opponent, and I reached an answering machine when I called at 10:30 this morning.

Will try again.

4)  Tried to contact Rob Andrews, NJ-01 [my sister lives in his district], but couldn't get a good cell phone connection.

Will keep trying.

by nj progressive 2006-10-23 01:13PM | 0 recs
Re: NJ calls
If your contacts are hanging on to $$$ for a future Senate run, try telling them that the blogs- Move-on,  Daily Kos are keeping track of how much they contribute and that we are rabid political partisans who will be very influential in 2008.
If they fight for the Dems now, we are more likely to fight for them in 2008.
by peggy0 2006-10-23 01:45PM | 0 recs
Re: Use It Or Lose It: Full Frontal Assault

Just curious why Nita Lowey (NY-18) isn't on the list yet. Had raised this a few days ago and pointed to the records in Open Secrets that show her with over $1 million coh. She also has token opposition. Any idea why she's not on the list?

by Take19 2006-10-23 01:58PM | 0 recs

Congresswoman Solis has donated the following since the 9/30 report:

$53,000 to the DCCC
$10,000 to candidates
$5,000 to a group doing GOTV in CT-04

This brings her total to $68,000 and plans on donating more to exceed $75,000.

by chadconfetti 2006-10-23 03:21PM | 0 recs
Re: Use It Or Lose It: Full Frontal Assault

what was the correct number for Congresswoman Solis??

I would liek to call and thank her (and ask for more)

by MadProfessah 2006-10-23 05:09PM | 0 recs