Republican Blog and Netroots Reaction to The Deal
by Chris Bowers, Mon May 23, 2005 at 05:59:41 PM EDT
Someone explain to me why the Republicans haven't been rolled once again. To me, it looks like a pathetic collapse on the part of the Republicans--not the leadership, but Senators like McCain who sold out their party.Hugh Hewitt: It is impossible to say whether this is a "terrible" deal, a "bad" deal, or a very, very marginally "ok" deal, but it surely is not a good deal. Not one dime more for the NRSC from me unless and until the Supreme Court nominee gets confirmed, and no other filibusters develop.Michelle Malkin: Scared Monkeys puts it succinctly: Compromise reached! Republicans screwed!Confirmthem.com: This deal is a load of cr@!` It is not compromise, but capitulation. And I say that as somebody who did agree that a certain form of compromise was acceptable.Various Free Republic commenters:
- I just left the GoP. I'm done with them. Cowards.
- We've been snookered again. Picture Lucy whipping the football out from under Charlie Brown for about the millionth time.
- Who would have ever thought that the GOP Senators would have folded to Democratic Demands? I am Shocked! The last time I was this surprised was this morning when the sun came up.
- The GOP is now dead to me. Bill Frist....ah why even bother..
- Bill Frist cannot control the RINO's in the Senate. The Democrats win again.
- What the HELL is this???????? We don't need a deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am furious. I will NOT SEND ANY MORE MONEY TO THE REPUBS. We didn't NEED a deal and we don't WANT a deal!!!
- I mailed my change of registration in this morning. Welcome to the growing ranks of the unaffiliated.
- This is a sad day for the Republican party, and the conservative movement in this country! The Dems will likely gain in Congress in 2006 because of this kind of cowardice. What's the matter with you folks in Arizona????? Is McCain the best you can do??
- It seems like Frist wouldn't have to votes to stop a potential filibuster on a SCOTUS nominee.
- Underneath the chestnut tree; The Republicans sold you, and the GOP sold me.
- Not another frigging dime or a minute of my time, I stay home in 06' or vote libertarian. Unfreakin believable
- If this is true it is truly an outrage. The only deal is the one the crats got. Everything they wanted. We got nothing. Only thing to do now is support a third party that can hopefully pick up 10-15% of the vote and use it as leverage to bargain.
- Republican moderate - horse sugar! What a bunch of stupid little pricks.
- Go to the National Republican Senatorial Committee to voice your outrage. Below is my letter: The "Republican" senators I helped get into the majority have compromised on President Bush's judicial nominations. I will tell every Republican I know not to contribute one thin dime to the NRSC ever again. We in the grassroots worked our tails off for this majority and McCain et al., have betrayed us, our president and his future Supreme Court nominees. I hope you realize that the NRSC will starve for funds for the foreseeable future. The 55-Senator GOP majority wasn't worth our effort. The RINOs made a disgusting mistake taking us for granted.
Crooks and Liars has more quotes, and lots of video.