Bush & Republican Congress Crash

You gotta check out the complete data of the new CBS poll just out.  But keep in mind, the party-identified poll (edit, the party ID referred to a particular question in the poll, with the overall numbers not released) is made up of 44% Republicans, as compared with just 29% Democrats, and 28% Independents. In otherwards, CBS is covering the Republicans backside with this poll, but it only nominally helps.

Bush's job approval is now at 43% and the job approval of Congress is at 34%, the lowest it has been since 1997.  Ah... Lewinsky? Yea, sounds like it.

Karl Rove finally has pushed forward George Bush into saying there's nothing more that Congress will do-- stop the bleeding! The Republicans in DC are going to want a scapegoat for this, and that's likely to be Tom DeLay. Back in Florida, the Republican State Senate refuses to be rolled, and with Jeb Bush now personally (through the tool of the government) seeking to take away custody of Schiavo from her husband, under Big Father state control... I guess we should believe him when he says he's not running for President, cause this is his big moment to forever sink the Bush battleship.

Update:Bush's petition is here. In true Republican fashion, they go after the strength of the enemy, trying to undermine Schiavo's husband by "alleging abuse neglect and exploitation" by Micheal Schiavo, citing recent Hotline calls (probably made by theocons) to the Dept. of Children and Families. So they want 60 days to investigate them, in the meantime, taking over custody.

Update II: ""I'm doing everything within my powers,"Jeb Bush said, but Judge George Greer rejected his bid for immediate custody." It's onto the Supremes today, where this will end? George Bush, reading the polls, is washing his hand of the matter. The Republicans in the Florida Senate refuse to yield. Jeb Bush seems to be the last refuge for thecons, will he order state military forces to take custody of Schiavo?

Tags: Republicans (all tags)

Comments

polls?
Jerome,

I don't get it with these polls-  Isn't there an attempt by the pollsters to acheive relative ideological balance among the respondents?  What is the usefulness of a poll that is weighted heavily toward either GOP or Democratic respondents?

by global yokel 2005-03-23 02:40PM | 0 recs
Re: polls?
My only guess is (yea, was being sarcastic about the 'backside) that they were specifically aiming for the evangelical and religious voters, so Party ID was of secondary concern. But they also said that Bush had 85% Republican approval, and only 11% Democratic approval, which means: a) among Independents, Bush's negatives are close to 2:1, and b) balanced by Party ID, Bush job approval is at about ~39%
by Jerome Armstrong 2005-03-23 02:43PM | 0 recs
Re: polls?
see Mystery Pollster's complete series on weighting by party ID (CBS has been good about publishing their numbers, the other pollsters are coming along and agreeing to the practice).
by DemFromCT 2005-03-23 04:26PM | 0 recs
The 28% of Independents is what fascinates me
Have you noticed how most polls in this one and Social Security are still very close statistically? 60-40 means, to me, that we still are not getting alot of the moderates. I am concerned because dems are not fighting enough in Congress and we are allowing the Republicans to frame things, please see the Diary I started, http://www.mydd.com/story/2005/3/23/171919/687#comment_top
by neolib 2005-03-23 03:22PM | 0 recs
Re: The 28% of Independents is what fascinates me
Linking tip. Scoop has very easy hyper link technology. Put the correct bracket "]" on each end of your link:

Where is Reid?

with a single space in between your title and the url.

For cool grey boxes, but the correct "<" thingie on each end of the following:

div class="url">text</div<p>

First, do not include the p with little thingies around it. That is the hyper-link symbol for a page break that Scoop is inserting and I can't get rid of it. The ">" thingies and the p should not be there.

then replace the letters url (leave the quote marks) with the url and insert your blockquote where it says text.

There is a trick to showing how this is done that I haven't figured out. It is an interesting puzzle.

Ah ha! Frustration is the mother of invention. I figured out the trick when I remembered where I learned how to do this. Go to this link and it should explain things.

by Gary Boatwright 2005-03-23 04:30PM | 0 recs
Re: The 28% of Independents is what fascinates me
Dually noted. Thanks.

All of this is going to come back in the face of the Bush family. They should be seen for what they are, they have never followed the rules.

by neolib 2005-03-23 04:48PM | 0 recs
Re: The 28% of Independents is what fascinates me
Thank you for the linking tip and thanks for the great discussion, I learned a great deal about the DLC and now, proper linketiquette.

Some pretty juicy stuff Jerome has on this petition. Not a Karl Rove fan and the whole Arkansas project against the Clintons from a difference faction of the Right. They should all be charged for destroying good people, distracting the Nations attention, and being slimmy.

Good night from Snowy NY.

by neolib 2005-03-23 05:31PM | 0 recs
Re: The 28% of Independents is what fascinates me
div class="www.mydd.com"&gt;COOL&lt;/div
by yitbos96bb 2005-03-24 07:38AM | 0 recs
Re: The 28% of Independents is what fascinates me
Damn HTML!!!
by yitbos96bb 2005-03-24 07:39AM | 0 recs
Junior's &quot;Family Honor&quot;?
Well, we know the Republicans are just using the Terry Schiavo tragedy for political gain. They're burning up the airways about it over on Right Wing Hate Radio. Saying Michael Schiavo is just trying to "kill his wife" and the Democrats are "uncareing" towards the weak, but did you know that Junior is just getting involved to save his brothers prestige? Jeb ruled in on this before and now he's being over ruled. Junior because of his "family honor" can't let that happen. So he plays games with a woman's life. Just like the Iraq war was only about his dad's "family honor" too.
by William Domingo 2005-03-23 04:12PM | 0 recs
problem
I will bet that the CBS poll gets no substaintive media coverage, especially not on Fox. But what you will get is a bunch of Republican talking heads on the national news networks talking about how dangerous an issue this is for Democrats.
by sharris0512 2005-03-23 04:17PM | 0 recs
Surprise at questions
They asked "if you were in a coma, would youw ant your doctor to remove the feeding toube and let you die?" and 82% said yes.  I assume they did because they don't know any better.  That's absolutely the wrong question to ask here.  Terri Shaivo is not in a coma - she is in a persistantly vegitative state which is an entirely different thing (she doesn't have a cerebral cortex.)  A coma is not neccessarily a non-recoverable condition.  In fact, you can be in a coma with no brain damage and be expected to make a full recovery.  A coma doesn't even imply the necessity for a feeding tube.
by fwiffo 2005-03-23 04:59PM | 0 recs
&quot;Coma&quot; is for dum-bah people
The question invalidates itself, since if you were in her condition, you wouldn't be conscious enough to "want" anything.

The question should be phrased positing a relative as the person in the vegetative state.

by jcjcjc 2005-03-23 05:46PM | 0 recs
Jerome: You got the party ID info wrong
Note the section where the Party ID info appears. It's about living wills. In other words, it's trying to identify the breakdown of the population that has living wills and 44% of Republicans have them, 29% of Dems, and 28% of Indies.  This is NOT the party ID breakdown for this poll. Nonetheless, the high number of Republicans with living wills may suggest why so many Republicans want the government to butt out of these decisions.
by elrod 2005-03-23 05:27PM | 0 recs
Re: Jerome: You got the party ID info wrong
what is the party ID on the poll then? BTW i noticed Jerome's gaffe too, easy to make
by ben114 2005-03-23 06:13PM | 0 recs
Re: Jerome: You got the party ID info wrong
There were none posted. I'm sure anybody can get them if they request.
by elrod 2005-03-23 07:05PM | 0 recs
Agree
From what I can see, there's no general "party ID" stats listed in this poll.
by jonweasel 2005-03-23 06:15PM | 0 recs
This is quickly going from a miscalculation to
a political disaster to a perverse implosion of the GOP juggernaut. There will be pieces, lots of them. And a lot of embarassment and I get the feeling that we are headed for a moment of collective shame when that girl dies. And not over the fact that she has died but for the fact that we saw it and know about it. My friends father died of cancer last year. A death that was for cancer a short one--six months. And though I have known him for 12-years what I know about those final days as his family gathered around his father's bed are scant and anecdotal. There are things about that time that he will never tell me or anyone about and of course I will never ask. But the Republicans have goulishly lashed us to this girl's bedside in hopes that we would see for once and all that the Democratic Party is unfit to lead this country. The shame is coming but the reckoning will come hot on its heels.
by Welsh 2005-03-23 06:16PM | 0 recs
regardless
regardless of party ID (unless its UNBELIEVABLY skewed towards Dems) this is great news.
by ben114 2005-03-23 06:23PM | 0 recs
The people have spoken and spoken
I copy the subject title from this column by Howard Troxer of the St. Petersburg Times.  Howard is an iconoclastic writer always willing to poke a finger in the eye of bombastic politicians of all persuasions. For this case he seems awed by the tremendous number of responses to his columns on the subject.

By my last count, 1,085 people had written e-mails in reply to Tuesday's column criticizing Congress for intervening in the Terri Schiavo case.

Of those 1,085 people, only 40 disagreed.

Another 269 people left voice messages. Of those callers, only 13 disagreed.

The total number of people who responded sets an all-time record. No previous topic has come close - not gay marriage, not flag-burning, not even cat-and-dog stories. Nothing.

... I have never seen anything like it. It is the first time in my career that an issue was so one-sidedly dominated by the, uh - well, what do we call this side?

It's sure as heck not the "anti-religious" side. A large number of people made it a point to express their Christianity and their deep faith in God, while expressing outrage at grandstanding politicians.
...
It's not the "liberal" side, either. Just as many people described themselves as lifelong conservative Republicans. A lot of them, with grudging good humor, complained it was the first time they had ever agreed with me, or the tiresome St. Petersburg Times.
...
"I have been a conservative Republican all my life but now I feel that I'm being left behind by my party and even by all of those conservative radio talk hosts."
...
Neither did it escape readers' attention that the same government that preaches to us about the "sanctity of marriage" is so willing to trample over that institution when it doesn't like the result.

Bottom line, Troxler's column presents anecdotes and his own reaction to the same type of information that Jerome cites in his poll analysis.

I suspect that the reason why this issue raises the ire of such a broad spectrum of people is because, for the first time, the arrogance of Republican conservatives truly affects the homes and hearts of everyone.

Compare this issue with the policy-wonkism (hmmm...) of increasing deficits, environmental damage, foreign policy mistakes, and even the war in Iraq. All the fiascos of Bush's first four years probably seem remote and cerebral to many Americans but everyone can relate to this case.

by sawgrass727 2005-03-23 06:42PM | 0 recs
Re: The people have spoken and spoken
We should all be writing to the editor, if Pew Research Center's Andrew Kohut has it right. He has a good op-ed piece in the NY Times today

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/2...on/ 23Kohut.html?

Kohut sees the vote in congress as a test run for Christian conservatives, to see "whether they have enough standing to run against public opinion."

He references the polls showing that Americans oppose congressional involvement in the Schiavo tragedy by 70-27%. That Republicans in Congress overwhelmingly supported doing just that
This tells Kohut that "...the Christian conservative movement now has the clout on life-and-death issues to do what the National Rifle Association has done for years on gun control."

Public reaction to this is key, then. we have to keep up the pressure.

Additionally, Kohut suggests that Democrats might be wiser to appeal to America's pragmatic streak indicated by these polls, rather than move to the right as many geniuses connected to the party have recommended.

by JohnS 2005-03-24 06:55AM | 0 recs
Rednecks hate this stupid sh*t
I live in the Deep Bible Belt, and everyone at work is shaking their heads at DeLay, Martinez, etc. attempt to impose their will on this tragedy.

My take is that these folks-- my folks-- don't trust politicians in general (they're scumbag opportunistic liars), and they see this as a private family matter.

I'd say the poll is accurate, at least in my Deep Red part of the world.

by Diagoras 2005-03-23 07:29PM | 0 recs
Re: Rednecks hate this stupid sh*t
What you are saying is interesting. I am glad to see that you guys think Delay and company as being overtly opportunistic.

If Bill Frist uses the Nuclear option and the Democrats come back with a limited shut down of Senate procedures, how would the Deep South see that? Would you see it as opportunistic or would you view it as the underdog's giving voice to those people who do not want to see Rightist judges on the Supreme Court?

by neolib 2005-03-24 05:07AM | 0 recs
Re: Rednecks hate this stupid sh*t
If the nukular option/shutdown is framed as "they're just trying to change the rules again like with that poor woman," it could have some impact.

What makes the Schiavo case so interesting to so many people is that it's easy to see yourself in their shoes. Any of them.

All politics are local. Show me how an issue is personal, and you have my complete attention. I suspect my friends (heck, your friends too) are similar.

by Diagoras 2005-03-24 05:39AM | 0 recs
Re: Rednecks hate this stupid sh*t
The Chicago Trib cited another poll saying that the self identified Evangelicals weren't too happy with the interference.  MAN, I wish this had come up last October.
by yitbos96bb 2005-03-24 07:46AM | 0 recs
Polls
Many americans everyday are making decisions  or know a parent, friend,uncle,  who made decisions on end of life, just like Michael Schiavo did.  That is why polls show americans disapprove.  The same with Social Security.

If there was an Iraq Draft. Iraq War would have been unpopular early on.

However despite it being unpopular,  the Republicans are pandering to the Religious Right. They probably figure that an energized Religious Right will bring out large numbers to the polls who dont vote.

But Democrats fear dont do this, they fear about being branded class warfare, etc.  If Dems come out strongly on economic issues, health care insurance and deride special interests/corporations role in politics it will energize middle class, laborers, employees, etc.

by jasmine 2005-03-24 06:23AM | 0 recs
Just like social security...
...they are over reaching.  They are drunk with power, and think they can do anything they want to and everybody will fall in line.

This is a good thing for our side politically, although they have the potential to do long term damage to our country before we can throw the bums out.

by Geotpf 2005-03-24 01:10PM | 0 recs